Other options than Number of rounds to set the number of league matches?

ClemB

Hi all,

I am trying to replicate a real life competition with 9 teams, each playing a total of 12 games. Obviously if I use the number of rounds option I would be left with 8 or 16 or 32 etc games which is not satisfying.

I tried to set the number of rounds to 0 and set 12 additional games in "Extra League Games" (Matches from other Stages) but the game would generate no fixtures at all.

Also saw an option called "Custom Match Plans" and I tried a bunch of things with it bu i would make the editor crash every time.

Any ideas? Thanks!

How does each team play 12 rounds in real life ?

Split the league could be one option . Play 1 round  of 8 games then split it at 5th position so then the top 5 play a round of 1 so thats another 4 games to make 12 . The bottom would only play 11 though 

Edited by alian62

You need to decide how the matches are determined somehow. If you choose Matches from other Stages, then you actually need to have another stage that processes the matches into that stage. Have a look at the Brazilian Sao Paulo state league for an example. The matches there are determined by the group stage, teams are assigned to play 1 match vs every team not in their group and to play none of the teams in their group. Those results are also processed into the league stage which has no fixtures of its own. IIRC the knockout matches are also processed into the league stage actually.

Custom match plans are a bit more difficult, the new UCL format uses them so they do work. I've never tried though. Only ever done custom fixture plans using groups (as mentioned above), not a single league.

If you don't mind the extra game being random opponents I'd do a hidden stage where the fixtures come from (and are sent to the main stage). Set it up so everyone plays each other once, then the extra games can come from something like 3 groups of 3, each group plays the other groups once (but not their groupmates for this extra game)

Edited by themodelcitizen

Ok thank you very much for all these interesting ideas, i'm gonna be experimenting a bit with the editor and I'll get back to you!

And here's the league in question:

https://usports.ca/en/sports/soccer/m/standings

It's a bit of ****show with some teams not playing as many games and others (???) and playing some teams once and some other twice for no apparent reasons. 

Okay I found a pdf explaining how they schedule the games.

The only way to implement this in game I think would be to set up 3 competitions, all running every 3 years, with a custom fixture plans.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how custom fixture plans work in the editor and how I could replicate the attached plan. If anyone has some screenshots or files of examples of custom fixture plans in the editor, it would be highly useful. Thanks!

Capture d’écran 2022-12-10 à 14.33.44.png