QF4: England vs France, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mr Adam said:

They were both calls that probably should have gone our way but we kinda need to get over them and get on with it. Way too much emphasis on it. There will likely be one like that go for us in the second half and we will all dismiss it as irrelevant 

It's a joke all the analysis is about the fouls and they didn't show the great chance Kane had.

The Saka one, yes it's a foul, but you get plenty of them missed in a match. It's very questionable whether VAR should go back that far to disallow someone knocking in a shot from outside the box.

The Kane one, I think is probably a penalty but I've not really seen a conclusive view to show it's inside the box.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Rashford would be a dreadful choice with France sitting in like they are. Saka probably the only player in the squad who can play inbetween the lines like he is. I'm afraid we basically need him to have a stormer of a second half here, don't really have any alternatives.

Can see Grealish doing well in those spaces as well. Draw defenders and open space 

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Game keeps going like this in 2nd half England will get the goal they need eventually. They're getting pretty close already even if no massive chances to point to.

France need to play a bit more front foot like they did before their goal. 

Wish I was that optimistic. We're getting one or two, we're playing fine, but it's the kind of game we need to be clinical or get decisions, and we've already not got a big one (and arguably let one in we shouldn't have)

1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

Still so ****ing annoyed by how slow we play it around the back. Ridiculous at times. We do it whether winning, losing or drawing as well.

Tbh this genuinely looks intentional. (Unlike US game it's slow slow, quick through the lines when we spot the gap, not slow slow lose the ball). Can't still be doing it if we're behind after 70mins though

2 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Yep. I like how he's performed so far. Only blowing up for anything obvious, trusting VAR to support him if there's a need to.

It's how games ought to be refereed on the biggest stage. Enjoyed that as a half of football.

He's OK, but not a big fan of him having a huge amount to say about pointless shoving and nothing to say about tactical fouling (it's not near yellow card worthy yet, but you want a ref shouting about it). Less said about VAR the better, and I called "no penalty" in real time and didn't realise it was not only a foul but carried on into the box until the second replay...

1 minute ago, Mr Adam said:

They were both calls that probably should have gone our way but we kinda need to get over them and get on with it. Way too much emphasis on it. There will likely be one like that go for us in the second half and we will all dismiss it as irrelevant 

When there's only been 1 goal in a game - yes that's the incident that tends to get emphasised...

Just now, Marc Albrighton said:

The usual bitter suspects aside, does anyone actually think that was not a penalty on Kane? it looks like a textbook penalty 10 times out of 10 to me.

I think there's only a foul outside the box, not inside it.

3 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Rashford would be a dreadful choice with France sitting in like they are. Saka probably the only player in the squad who can play inbetween the lines like he is. I'm afraid we basically need him to have a stormer of a second half here, don't really have any alternatives.

Rashford is something different in terms of knock and run with the ball. Kounde is smoking cigars so far and had nothing to worry about as Foden wants it to feet mostly and ball not getting to him. So he needs to move central to get the ball.

Basically let him do the same role Grizemann is doing for France.

5 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Because the referee didn't see it as a yellow card. I've seen them given,  I've seen them not given. No issue at all for me.

But they were fouls. So no, it was nowhere near a good refereeing performance.

2 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

The usual bitter suspects aside, does anyone actually think that was not a penalty on Kane? it looks like a textbook penalty 10 times out of 10 to me.

I think it's 100% a foul, but it was outside the area, just, and VAR can't award a free kick for it if that's the case

3 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

100% foul, I'd need to see it again to tell if it was in or out of the box though.

Just now, m_fenton said:

I think there's only a foul outside the box, not inside it.

Definitely started outside the box, but the leg contact (more significant than the half arsed attempt to pull him back) is in it.

And tbh that's exactly what VAR is supposed to be for, because I understand why the ref thought Kane was playacting in real time