Inconsistency

Am I the only person who finds this game the most inconsistent version of fm for years? 

It doesn’t matter what I do tactically it doesn’t make a difference, one game I have 60%+ possession, 15+ shots, winning the ball back high up the pitch despite a normal press trigger and yet the next game it’s the complete opposite, my players can’t play a five yard pass, they lose out on every ball in the air, they hardly run around the pitch and the goalkeeper can’t hold a shot to save his life.

I don’t understand how the game can be so feast or famine with seemingly no differences in set ups from game to game, the opposition invariably use one of three formations but there’s no pattern to how these formations are affecting what I’m seeing, the mentality I use, the formation I use, the tactical style I use, don’t make a difference 

I never expect these games to be easy, but at the very least you want to feel that you’re having an influence over what happens on the pitch, the way this is going currently I might as well just sim each season because the result feels like it would be the same no matter what

I usually experience this at the beginning of a save, like, one match they act like pep's barca, the next they suddenly act like a league one side.. I tell myself that it has to do with my players not having fully adapted to my tactics just yet. Usually, however, at about 10-15 matches played, what happens on the pitch starts to become more predictable..

Edited by SC00P0NE

2 hours ago, Paddy9596 said:

Am I the only person who finds this game the most inconsistent version of fm for years? 

It doesn’t matter what I do tactically it doesn’t make a difference, one game I have 60%+ possession, 15+ shots, winning the ball back high up the pitch despite a normal press trigger and yet the next game it’s the complete opposite, my players can’t play a five yard pass, they lose out on every ball in the air, they hardly run around the pitch and the goalkeeper can’t hold a shot to save his life.

I don’t understand how the game can be so feast or famine with seemingly no differences in set ups from game to game, the opposition invariably use one of three formations but there’s no pattern to how these formations are affecting what I’m seeing, the mentality I use, the formation I use, the tactical style I use, don’t make a difference 

I never expect these games to be easy, but at the very least you want to feel that you’re having an influence over what happens on the pitch, the way this is going currently I might as well just sim each season because the result feels like it would be the same no matter what

Yes I've seen this too. Particularly when playing away matches. We'll be bright, incisive, and clinical at home and then play some relegation fodder team away and completely forget what team we're on. 

I wish they had a little more feedback from the players on their attitude in the game. If my players are calm or motivated or happy they shouldn't be unable to pass the ball 5 yards to a teammate consistently. Complacent, nervous, anxious? yes absolutely - and sometimes there's no tactic or team talk to change the fact that its a cup final or a big game and your players have low pressure attributes. But that attitude should be manifesting itself in some feedback output that we can at least see even if we can't change it through the tools we have. 

It's a bit frustrating in the end because we're basically boiling it all down to lucky in game dice rolls without being told if we got a good or bad roll. 

You might be setting up your team in an identical way, but I think you're selling the AI short. There is much more variety in the way the AI sets up. Even if they use a similar formation, there are a ton of different set ups. The most obvious one being whether they press high with a high line, or if they sit back.

Additionally, one of SI's main features for the game this year is that AI managers adjust much more in game.

If anything I've noticed that this year you cannot just click through games and expect the same result each time, but you have to actively do research in your next opponent and also pay attention during games. In my opinion this makes for a much better and realistic gaming experience.

Edited by Dereka

Yes, but something you can get over. Initially as the team gel and start to trust you results can be all over the place, but if you think your tactic is sound stick to it and don't throw the side off by too many changes,

Also the AI is smarter this year and no matter how good the tactic they will make things hard for you, so the analytics both in match and post match need to be used so you can work out why its going wrong, and also where the AI is succeeding.