Third Place not working properly

Ominous77

Hi all.

I'm working on a custom cup for the Asian nations and everything works properly except for the third place playoff.

The issue is with the ranking levels, but I cannot figure out what exactly. I already tried to put the third place playoff in the rankings with Top=2, Bottom=3 but it didn't work.

Here's the ranking level info for the whole comp:
image.thumb.png.2b0c662652e936ae65df1bfc19e5fba6.png

This is for the Semi Final and Third Place Playoff:
image.thumb.png.c70f90a48f94722df1f0b484333e8680.png

image.thumb.png.3173b3c525a31b5e32abdd9dc146a319.png

Any help?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

How have you set up your rounds? Looks like there are bigger issues than the ranking levels there. Why did Myanmar get byes all the way to the final? Plus the third place playoff shouldn't even show up on the tree.

There should be an option on each round that says Round Index for Winner/Loser, or something similar. In the semi you want the winner set to 4 (the final?) to tell them to skip the third place playoff, and the loser set to 3 to tell them to go to it. Then in the 3rd place playoff itself both should be set to -1 to show they're done with the competition and shouldn't proceed to the next round.

Well, I don't know why those bye happen. My setup is the following:

-Round 0, 16 teams, 16 teams added, 8 matches, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 4,0 & Loser 5.
-Round 1, 8 teams, 4 matches, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 3,0,3 & Loser 4.
-Round 2, 4 teams, 2 matches, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 1,0,1 & Loser 2,2,3, Index for Winner/Loser 4 & 3.
-Round 3, 2 teams, 2 teams added, 1 match, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 2,2,2 & Loser 3,3,3, Index for Winner/Loser -1 & -1.
-Round 4, 2 teams, 2 teams added, 1 match, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 0 & Loser 1.

Rankings level info is like the previous image I shared.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

20 hours ago, Ominous77 said:

Well, I don't know why those bye happen. My setup is the following:

-Round 0, 16 teams, 16 teams added, 8 matches, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 4,0 & Loser 5.
-Round 1, 8 teams, 4 matches, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 3,0,3 & Loser 4.
-Round 2, 4 teams, 2 matches, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 1,0,1 & Loser 2,2,3, Index for Winner/Loser 4 & 3.
-Round 3, 2 teams, 2 teams added, 1 match, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 2,2,2 & Loser 3,3,3, Index for Winner/Loser -1 & -1.
-Round 4, 2 teams, 2 teams added, 1 match, 1 leg, stadium Host, Rankings (current, highest, lowest): Winer 0 & Loser 1.

Rankings level info is like the previous image I shared.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The current ranking should always be equal to the highest ranking. So the winner in round 1 should be 0, 0, 3 for example.

But I don't think the rankings are the main issue here. It might be the 2 teams added in rounds 3 and 4. It should be 0. Teams added refers to teams being added to the stage, not the round. Those teams were already in previous rounds so don't need to be added.

I tried as you said, with the rankings and removing the added teams, and it still doesn't work.

I look into some of the cups that have third place playoffs and it doesn't seem to be a match for the third place, just a ranking (there's no round for that playoff, just the Quarter finals and then Semi finals and Final). Specifically, I tried to copy the Copa América and I managed to get my comp working except for the third place part.

However, I noticed that, for a couple of competitions (Copa América, World Cup, Euro) there's a separate entry for a playoff with the type "International Qualifiers". Could this mean that the third place playoff can only be done via a separate competition? I couldn't find how those playoff get their teams (I used the trick of assigning it to a country and convert to advance rules but it doesn't show up).

Thanks.

On 28/12/2022 at 12:19, Ominous77 said:

I tried as you said, with the rankings and removing the added teams, and it still doesn't work.

I look into some of the cups that have third place playoffs and it doesn't seem to be a match for the third place, just a ranking (there's no round for that playoff, just the Quarter finals and then Semi finals and Final). Specifically, I tried to copy the Copa América and I managed to get my comp working except for the third place part.

However, I noticed that, for a couple of competitions (Copa América, World Cup, Euro) there's a separate entry for a playoff with the type "International Qualifiers". Could this mean that the third place playoff can only be done via a separate competition? I couldn't find how those playoff get their teams (I used the trick of assigning it to a country and convert to advance rules but it doesn't show up).

Thanks.

You're using an older version of FM, right? I know the option for 3rd place playoffs in basic rules is a pretty recent addition, it's possible it has changed in advanced rules too. But for the current version I can say for sure it shouldn't be done as a separate competition and should work just as a round in the existing competition/stage.