What is the matter with building your own view???

Year after year!

Trying to get View's width to look "nice" takes huge amount of time, my playing time. And after a few views you are done with playing this game...

I have one almost ready View, just wanted to add one more column (and, yes, there was enough room for it). View decides to grow overwidth. Nothing gets that View to shrink back to fit that window size. Adding column, deleting column, resizing colomn/columns,... Trying over and over again.

At the end one of columns was forth of the window size, but column wouldn't resize. View was still... OVER-WIDTH. When I deleted that column, the next column got even bigger... Yes.

Why can't you add options "Fit all columns to window size" and "Force column to its normal size". "Normal" would mean width of column header.

Frustrating.

BTW. If you think this is something that needs to be changed, vote for this or keep writing comments here. Otherwise...

Edited by rristola

3 hours ago, 2feet said:

no explanation for why it's never fixed.

Weirdest thing is, that fixing it shouldn't be that difficult. If all "automatic" is left out, and then given an order that every column takes its normal minimum width, then no View shouldn't be too wide for a window...

Or, if it does, there's too much columns in it, and therefore it has to be too wide. After that only little adjustments.

Add a redundant column to the end of the view.

image.png.2da1902bfff8c03e18ea4f572d3f2ecf.png

I add agent to the end of the view. I don't want it there but I find it helps to stabilise the view I am setting up.

There is an art to it. I have been practising for years but I find my current way works well.

Don't add too much. The reason multiple views are available is so you can have multiple views. It doesn't take a lot of effort to select a new view.

Try this:

SELECTION.fmf

Or Steam page.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2907514926

2 hours ago, Andros said:

if there was an easier to access tab rather than having to go to a few menus.

And that is exactly why it is so nice to have possibility to build your own Views!

The idea in this posting was, that it is so sad that those view building tools don't work, or are just too weird to use...

And I think, that many of us View makers have designed a View, which gets a bit too wide. It is frustrating, if those tools don't work, when you try to get it shrink back.

14 minutes ago, 2feet said:

it's just not good enough

The weirdest thing is, that SI has decided that FM relies on us - players. There are all the extra graphics, added player info, added leagues and other mods done by us. Then they don't ask our opinion on how to make this better...

15 hours ago, anagain said:

It doesn't take a lot of effort to select a new view

I disagree with this, it takes multiple clicks and moving around of the mouse to change view, which is time consuming. Custom views shouldn't be under a separate menu item to other views and there should be a shortcut to change views.

6 minutes ago, Platinum said:

I disagree with this, it takes multiple clicks and moving around of the mouse to change view, which is time consuming. Custom views shouldn't be under a separate menu item to other views and there should be a shortcut to change views.

All my views are available with two clicks. One to open the menu and one to select the view. At the bottom of the list.

I don't really see how they can make that less. Only hot keys. And I agree they could be made to be assignable to hot keys.

Its not perfect but people do exaggerate. 

47 minutes ago, anagain said:

All my views are available with two clicks. One to open the menu and one to select the view. At the bottom of the list.

I don't really see how they can make that less. Only hot keys. And I agree they could be made to be assignable to hot keys.

Its not perfect but people do exaggerate. 

Once you open the menu do you have to open the 'Custom views' section of the menu first? Or do they appear with the standard in-game views? 

If they do do you mind saying how you did this please?

Again, it doesn't have to be that difficult. Example - Scouted players and its View.

There is on the upper left corner 'X players found' and then pull-down menu with view options.

After that the whole upper "window bar" is empty! If made possible, player could store there 5-10 different views - just like in web browsers with pages. That would mean one click only.

Another story would be, if there should be possibility to store different views with different set of chosen players or staff. Like a 'bookmark'.

1 hour ago, Platinum said:

Once you open the menu do you have to open the 'Custom views' section of the menu first? Or do they appear with the standard in-game views? 

If they do do you mind saying how you did this please?

I don't actually have the game open but I thought they appeared in the views menu itself eventually. I might be wrong.

Either way the clicks are not the biggest problem with the UI. FM is not a fast game. If your problem with the UI is that you have to click 4 times instead of 3 then I think you have to take a hard look at why.

Much of the UI needs a rework, yes, but I think the layout is pretty good. You're gonna be hard pressed trying to minimise clicks aggressively.

Maybe it's just an age thing on my part.

But, yes, FM could do more with hot keys. A simple assigning a number to a view, like with RTS teams, would not be a bad idea. 

for the drop-down menus - it is not just the extra clicks - it is also the miss clicks where you click on the wrong one and have to do it again.  I know i could be better with my clicks but it is a bit aggravating and just encourages me to put as much as i can on one view.  i just think having tabs like at the bottom on an excel spreadsheet would (at least for me) really encourage better use of views.  anyway, we all play differently.

oh yes, the... VIEWSss.. The bane of every manager's existence.. What you can try is to click on a different screen, those ones where you notice that the game needs an extra second to load and go back. Sometimes the stubborn columns give in, sometimes they don't. Another thing is to export the current work-in-progress view, delete it under manage views and import it again to allow you to finally adjust the darn thing.. Thirdly, just advance a few days, play a match and try again.. Adjusting stubborn columns often all of a sudden magically works after that..

It's obvious that something under the HUD there wasn't made for in-depth user customization, it desperately needs an overhaul..

I make my own custom views for every screen possible, and yes, it's the most infuriating exercise in FM, besides having to constantly adjust set-pieces manually, perhaps..

Edited by SC00P0NE