FM23- Change youth team formation/ roles?

I want my U19's to play either with different roles or in a completely different formation than my senior side but it seems like all my squads are locked into what the first team is running. Can I change this? I have looked all over and don't see an option to either lock everyone to the first team tactic or to deviate from it. 

On 27/12/2022 at 18:50, Karl Marxxx said:

I want my U19's to play either with different roles or in a completely different formation than my senior side but it seems like all my squads are locked into what the first team is running. Can I change this? I have looked all over and don't see an option to either lock everyone to the first team tactic or to deviate from it. 

Depends on if you control an area of your youth team or not. 

If you do control an area under responsibilities, such as training or squad selection, the only way I know to fix it is to temporarily delegate all youth responsibilities. Once you do that, go to the development center, then the overview screen for your youth squad, and you will see the primary tactic dropdown box. Select that to whatever tactic you want them to run. 

Note: After writing this I realize that I may have misunderstood your question. I typically use slots 1 and 2 for my main team and slot 3 for my youth. The only way to have 3 completely new tactic slots is to fire the youth manager and take over yourself, which can be irritating for a few reasons. 

image.png.630312db17418b5063b89a05221aa00b.png

10 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

That’s irrelevant to the op

True.

You might want to develop youth to sell on rather than for your first team.

You might want you youth developing rounded, general skills at that age as you don't know what tactic you'll be going forward with in 2 or 3 years' time.