Best 2nd place teams from group stage get qualified for the knockout stage

nicholas.shen

In the group stage, I have got 20 teams separated into 5 groups.

The top one from each group gets automatically qualified for the next next stage.

How can I make 3 out of the 5 2nd place teams qualified as well (total 8 teams qualified)?

I have tried the sub league table setting in the group stage, but have no idea how it can be transfered to the next stage.

Can anyone give me some advice on it?

under league settings/qualification rules I assume you have the 1st place teams advancing?

Then under "group settings" (for the whole stage, not an individual group), at the bottom there's "extra fate places." Add the number you want (3), original league place "other", new league place "promoted" (doesn't make sense but it works).

"Max teams in group to check" should be set at 1, otherwise it will also check to see if a 3rd place team has enough points to advance over other group runner-ups (rare, but it happens if you have at least 2 best runners up and forgot to set this to 1).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with a way of doing that. You mean like how the Euros has a fixed draw like "Winner Group B vs. Third place Group C, D, or E" type thing? With a few more of the fixed draws also dependent on which groups produce the best third place teams? If there was a way to do that in the editor I'd be impressed. I just end up trying to use "avoid team from same group" and do a seeded group draw

Edited by themodelcitizen

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/01/2023 at 06:55, themodelcitizen said:

under league settings/qualification rules I assume you have the 1st place teams advancing?

Then under "group settings" (for the whole stage, not an individual group), at the bottom there's "extra fate places." Add the number you want (3), original league place "other", new league place "promoted" (doesn't make sense but it works).

"Max teams in group to check" should be set at 1, otherwise it will also check to see if a 3rd place team has enough points to advance over other group runner-ups (rare, but it happens if you have at least 2 best runners up and forgot to set this to 1).

It works well. Thanks for the advice.