Looking for inspiration on attacking phase formations besides 2-3-5/3-1-6

4 hours ago, backpocket said:

So just like the title, I was wondering what other formation is there? Most top teams seem to be using that and would like to read about other styles.

4-2-2-2 Magic Box is working really well for me at Braga. Managed to get Ricardo Horta to score 7 goals (and as many assists) by September.

image.png.e0efaad06b302ebdff78f062b6bb407b.png

So there are definitely other ways to have good attack besides 2-3-5/3-1-6.

Edited by crusadertsar

Those two formations focus on stretching the defensive line of the opposition while creating overloads on wings and numerical superiority on the build up, so I'd start by looking at those principles and thinking if you're happy with them or would rather focus on something else. Another thing to consider is that the 3-1-6 focus on using a playmaker to craft quality passes to the front "6" while relying on the back 3 to cover and recycle. So another thing to consider.

Lastly, you'd perhaps be interested in a hybrid formation where one player can at one moment be a build-up support piece and the next become a rampant menace. Roles like inverted wingback, false 9, shadow striker, raumdeuter fit that profile.

17 hours ago, JIPI1 said:

Those two formations focus on stretching the defensive line of the opposition while creating overloads on wings and numerical superiority on the build up, so I'd start by looking at those principles and thinking if you're happy with them or would rather focus on something else. Another thing to consider is that the 3-1-6 focus on using a playmaker to craft quality passes to the front "6" while relying on the back 3 to cover and recycle. So another thing to consider.

Lastly, you'd perhaps be interested in a hybrid formation where one player can at one moment be a build-up support piece and the next become a rampant menace. Roles like inverted wingback, false 9, shadow striker, raumdeuter fit that profile.

Any resources you can point me to? I feel like I only know extreme ends: either direct/counter football, or controlled possession. Would be nice to create something besides that.

The current era is definitely dominated by the 2-3-5/3-2-5 and 3-1-6 attacking shapes. But previously, we had 2-4-3-1/2-4-4 (the default attacking shape of the mid 2010s 4-2-3-1) and the 3-4-3 (the default attacking shape of the Dutch 4-3-3, the one with a false 9 and twin inside forwards). 3-4-3 Could be created from a 3-diamond-3 formation too (the one with which Van Gaal's Ajax won the CL in '95). 

Then there were the typical Italian shape of 3-4-1-2 (created from the so favoured during the 90s and early 00s rigid 3-4-1-2 and the a bit more fluid 4-diamond-2). Conte's Juve 3-1-4-2 often attacked in a 3-3-4 shape too from which his Chelsea's 3-2-5 originated. 

Edited by The #9.5

What about 2-1-3-4 in the attacking phase like this? See image below.

I believe the easiest way to get this is to transition from 4-3-1-2 in the defensive phase to the 2-1-3-4 in the attacking phase. 

Building with potentially 7 players in the build up-phase. Wingbacks would get up the pitch in the attacking phase, whilst MCL/MCR providing width in the channels both in the build up and in the attacking phase. 

The number 6 would probably be the most important player in this tactical setup; playmaker in the build up, as well as being the key player in the attacking phase to switch the ball from left to right, as well as trying to be progressive if possible play the ball into feet to midfielders 8/10/7 (in the right image) – or even playing through balls to the two strikers. 

I would probably play number 8 and number 7 some kind of mezzalas in this kind of setup. However, it could be good if these two players got into the box to overload it occasionally. 

Number 10 have several options to be functional in this setup. This player could probably be a Shadow Striker and being a third goal threat, as well as being an advanced playmaker. 

Number 9 and 11 would probably work fantastic as advanced forwards, poachers or pressing forwards; to just sit at the end of the oppositions defensive line, getting ready to get onto through balls and crosses. Might even work good as target forwards or complete forwards.  

image.png.2de0c8d538a0184e738ec64408a91f30.png

Edited by weiner

22 hours ago, weiner said:

I believe the easiest way to get this is to transition from 4-3-1-2 in the defensive phase to the 2-1-3-4 in the attacking phase. 

Building with potentially 7 players in the build up-phase. Wingbacks would get up the pitch in the attacking phase, whilst MCL/MCR providing width in the channels both in the build up and in the attacking phase. 

The number 6 would probably be the most important player in this tactical setup; playmaker in the build up, as well as being the key player in the attacking phase to switch the ball from left to right, as well as trying to be progressive if possible play the ball into feet to midfielders 8/10/7 (in the right image) – or even playing through balls to the two strikers. 

I would probably play number 8 and number 7 some kind of mezzalas in this kind of setup. However, it could be good if these two players got into the box to overload it occasionally. 

Number 10 have several options to be functional in this setup. This player could probably be a Shadow Striker and being a third goal threat, as well as being an advanced playmaker. 

Number 9 and 11 would probably work fantastic as advanced forwards, poachers or pressing forwards; to just sit at the end of the oppositions defensive line, getting ready to get onto through balls and crosses. Might even work good as target forwards or complete forwards.  

That’s actually pretty interesting. I was just thinking about how teams try to counter 3-2-5 with a back 5 or 6 like Emery, and was thinking if the next step was 7.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2023 at 11:26, weiner said:

This is how Ancelotti played with Milan!  Inzaghi and Shevchenko with kaka and in the midfield it was Ambrosini-Pirlo-Gattuso and the two Wingbacks that went high( Jankulovski-Cafu)