This is what frustrates. Low DL, v low block, drop back TI and yet my 3 man defence push up

This drives us crazy, why with tactics below are my defence conceding 3 goals with balls over the top. Central CB on cover duty. We spend time making tactics, analysing the opposition and tweaking OIs and then we concede three absurdities. Leicester in blue. If the ME can’t cope with defensive tactics please tell us. SI need to be more transparent.

A219B752-1819-40E7-84A0-EA969D540791.jpeg

B53F8C58-CE2C-4FEF-BCF9-5BB77B2BCB5E.jpeg

0F530D00-98FF-4794-A628-2985C3785973.jpeg

FBB5D106-6AD9-4F3C-8EDB-F2DD725CA3D1.jpeg

And trigger press more often. That means that your players are more likely to leave their position in order to press an opponent, thus leaving space behind that the opponent can exploit.
Also the low block will give the opponents playmakers more time and space to ping passes to the opponents strikers.

The cautious mentality also means that your players will be very carefull with the ball. For instance they will not initiate a counter attack when they have the opportinty because the pass is to risky. That may acctually increase the risk of getting countered by the opponent.

44 minutes ago, dieu said:

And trigger press more often. That means that your players are more likely to leave their position in order to press an opponent, thus leaving space behind that the opponent can exploit.
Also the low block will give the opponents playmakers more time and space to ping passes to the opponents strikers.

The cautious mentality also means that your players will be very carefull with the ball. For instance they will not initiate a counter attack when they have the opportinty because the pass is to risky. That may acctually increase the risk of getting countered by the opponent.

All correct but none of explain why his back line is so high?

2 hours ago, janrzm said:

Caught on the break? If they where trying to attack then the back line would push higher up even with a lower defensive line, because if the didn't they would be strecthed and open up gaps all over the place.

2 hours ago, janrzm said:

Exactly. Appreciate the reply @janrzmbut it does beg questions.
If you don’t trigger press and have low DL a lot of people say that gives too much time for creative opponents. I don’t mind conceding goals with a low DL…..but not 3 over the top of a high line totally opposite to my instructions . 3 CBs and one theoretically covering (they rarely do). 

and lol. Come on! Now we shouldn’t play cautious because that increases counter attack possibilities. That goes against the whole theory of safe play. 

look at this. Against Leicester again! They’re down to 10 men. We are 2-1 up. I’ve got 3 CBs, middle on cover,mid DL and drop back TI. they completely ignore the ball over the top and the opponent. Joke. Absolute joke. 

DD3B8C19-7A59-456A-A96D-424925A1E178.jpeg

43E50E0E-A29C-48DE-8C01-9CA4234E6828.jpeg

81FDABCD-AE44-4AD0-8896-E71E29645E03.jpeg

45C964C2-397F-45C3-944D-15026334D179.jpeg

580EEC07-0C01-4026-8C7A-49E2052182CF.jpeg

for simplicity sake, just try it without, pressing pressing trap, more often pressing trigger, and the drop of more.

The lines are clearly not working in the depicted situation, but it looks more like a troughball from the left halfspace. Also you have to consider your possesion. It looks like you have been on the ball for some time before getting countered.

31 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

and lol. Come on! Now we shouldn’t play cautious because that increases counter attack possibilities. That goes against the whole theory of safe play. 

No, that was not what I said at all! I meant that combined with other instructions you may increase the risk of getting countered. For instance if you have short passes, high tempo and cautious mentality and the only attacking outlet on your team involves risky passes to your attackers. In that scenario your defenders will just pass it amongst themselves increasing the risk of someone eventually making a mistake. When that mistake happen you will get countered. That mistake may well lead to a ball over the top because the defence push higher up when you have the ball.

Think Man Utd under Van Gaal. That team got countered a lot because all they did was pass the ball sideways all day long. 

3 hours ago, dieu said:

No, that was not what I said at all! I meant that combined with other instructions you may increase the risk of getting countered. For instance if you have short passes, high tempo and cautious mentality and the only attacking outlet on your team involves risky passes to your attackers. In that scenario your defenders will just pass it amongst themselves increasing the risk of someone eventually making a mistake. When that mistake happen you will get countered. That mistake may well lead to a ball over the top because the defence push higher up when you have the ball.

Think Man Utd under Van Gaal. That team got countered a lot because all they did was pass the ball sideways all day long. 

Ah I do get what you’re saying more now. Although I have 3 midfielders (Musiala, Bentancur and Savic) who are v comfortable on the ball and 2 wing backs so loads of options for defence to do short passes. 
thing is, according to your ideas, if you’re cautious you can get countered and if your attacking you will surely be open to counters. So the game gives no safe options? 

I really appreciate your advice. The real issue here is SI are really not transparent about what each tactic does and the impact of instructions.

3 hours ago, b2khn said:

for simplicity sake, just try it without, pressing pressing trap, more often pressing trigger, and the drop of more.

The lines are clearly not working in the depicted situation, but it looks more like a troughball from the left halfspace. Also you have to consider your possesion. It looks like you have been on the ball for some time before getting countered.

Yh I will try that cheers.

Im not sure it explains why are three world class defenders completely ignoring one striker? With the drop off instructions and a covering CB? I think that’s a serious problem with the ME. And one that is routinely flagged.