Coaching License Confusion

Am I missing something, or is the entire coaching license system set up incorrectly, or at best, very confusingly?

As those of us who like to do journeyman types and/or unemployed starts for our saves know - the mythic background is blank. No badges, no experience.

But even a cursory search reveals that a UEFA A License is required to manage above an amateur level, presumably meaning semi-pro and above. If a UEFA B License doesn't allow any higher than youth teams and amateur teams, then I imagine the National level licenses allow even less. (FM's descriptions on the manager creation screen are incredibly vague with no context whatsoever.)

So in theory, you shouldn't be able to get hired at all with anything less than what is required. And since you as a manager cannot pay to start coaching courses in game, starting blank doesn't make sense, as you could realistically enroll yourself in the necessary curriculum before beginning your career in real life, and thus should just start the save with said badges anyway as Day 1 of your post-graduation job hunt.

Therefore, I'm beginning a new unemployed save now that's different from my previous ones - I'll begin with UEFA A. UEFA Pro is needed to manage a top flight team for longer than 12 weeks - I will have to convince a club to pay for that course when I reach that stage of my development.

Please fill me in if I'm misunderstanding. Why does FM allow you to unrealistically take jobs you are not legally capable of having in these scenarios?

While i dont know the regulations from the past football history i can say that people have coached clubs or national teams that did not have any License and they simply got another title instead of coach or manager.

In germany they were somtimes called Teamchef like Franz Beckenbauer or Rudi Voeller (and were granted at some point a license for free).

In Club Football there are (or were) at least in germany exceptions when you do not have a license but are in the official course for the license then you can get an excemption to coach a club b4 you finished the course successfully.

That is what i remeber from past real world experiences...

Edited by Etebaer

6 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

While i dont know the regulations from the past football history i can say that people have coached clubs or national teams that did not have any License and they simply got another title instead of coach or manager.

In germany they were somtimes called Teamchef like Franz Beckenbauer or Rudi Voeller (and were granted at some point a license for free).

In Club Football there are (or were) at least in germany exceptions when you do not have a license but are in the official course for the license then you can get an excemption to coach a club b4 you finished the course successfully.

That is what i remeber from past real world experiences...

True, there are real-life workarounds, and I'd argue that is an argument for developing the game even further to include this sort of dynamic (ie you get a job offer that comes with a course enrollment to symbolize the employer pulling strings to get you in).

On 09/01/2023 at 10:06, Weston said:

Please fill me in if I'm misunderstanding. Why does FM allow you to unrealistically take jobs you are not legally capable of having in these scenarios?

It's the nature of the game. How many players managing Man United or Real Madrid in the game as realistically qualified?

14 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

It's the nature of the game. How many players managing Man United or Real Madrid in the game as realistically qualified?

There's a difference between starting the game at a top club and starting unemployed, though, and your save should be able to realistically reflect whatever level you choose.

I'm certainly not suggesting people who buy the game shouldn't be able to play as a top club, but you could argue the game should make it so that if you start at a top club you automatically must start with the applicable coaching license.