Can You Play Out of Defense in A Counter-Attack System?

You can but it is a bit counter productive in FM terms. Due to you playing out of defence, you allow the opposition to regain it's defensive shape and get players back into position, taking away any possible positional advantage you have.

They won't play out of defense ,when they trigger counter-attack.

They won't trigger counter-attack,when they trigger play out of defense.

They are not in the same phase.

Edited by Aoyao

7 minutes ago, Aoyao said:

They won't play out of defense ,when they trigger counter-attack.

They won't trigger counter-attack,when they trigger play out of defense.

They are not in the same phase.

But it stops the counter attack from happening as they slow play down and play out of defence instead of taking advantage of positional advantage. You're instructing the players to pass it around in defence instead of attacking. You're correct it's not the same phase of play BUT it stops the chance of the other phase happening because you have told players to play with the ball deep in your own half instead.

And considering most counter attacks happen from your own half....

Edited by Cleon

2 minutes ago, Aoyao said:

FM18 have not the instruction of counter-attack.

How did it works?

It's a combination of "pass into space," a higher tempo, and "counter" when possession is won

22 minutes ago, Cleon said:

You can but it is a bit counter productive in FM terms. Due to you playing out of defence, you allow the opposition to regain it's defensive shape and get players back into position, taking away any possible positional advantage you have.

Have you experimented with putting "play out from the back" on while having "more direct" passing?

3 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

It's a combination of "pass into space," a higher tempo, and "counter" when possession is won

Have you experimented with putting "play out from the back" on while having "more direct" passing?

I used BPD's while using play our of defence, so they still attack and take advantage of positional play. Without these roles, you very rarely ever do any type of counter attack as play is slowed down far too much. But using BPD's, especially after the new changes on FM23 you can have best of both worlds.  I wrote about it too and showed examples;

4 minutes ago, Cleon said:

I used BPD's while using play our of defence, so they still attack and take advantage of positional play. Without these roles, you very rarely ever do any type of counter attack as play is slowed down far too much. But using BPD's, especially after the new changes on FM23 you can have best of both worlds.  I wrote about it too and showed examples;

Thanks! I'll check it out.