Coaches' work load

I've nearly got enough coaches for a one-to-one setup for coaches and roles (not including goalie & fitness). Having set them up, there are a lot of 'heavy' or 'very heavy' workloads indicated.

Now, we all (don't we?) look for the best coach attributes, and giving them a single area to focus on is the way to maximize this. If I get the assistant to assign roles, though, everyone's doing three or four things, even a bit of goalie or fitness. That seems to me to be wasting their talents. 

image.thumb.png.f3a2ea4bf4a81377d7b293dbc9809254.png

So the question is, what is the impact of 'heavy' workloads? 

The star ratings aren't everything.  

IMO within the limitations of your allotted amount of coaches, you've made a bad decision in choosing to have 3 of them as fitness coaches.   I'd get rid of one of them and hire another general coach who can cover the workloads for the rest of your coaches.   I'd also consider getting rid of one of your GK coaches and look for another general type coach who happens to have decent GK coaching skills. There are plenty of them out there and that would also provide you with additional cover for other coaches.  Also start training some of your existing general coaches to be good at coaching GK.  It is a slow process but GK skills are free for general coaches and management so there are no downsides.  

Also reduce the size of your squad, as fc.cadoni said.  Each player in your squad adds additional workload to your coaches so one coach might have an average workload while singlehandedly coaching 19 players (and also depending on how many training sessions involve him) , his workload might jump to high when coaching 21 players and very high when coaching 23 players.  

Unless you are a top flight club playing in Europe and fighting for all competitions in your country, you are unlikely to need more than about 20 players and you can always make youth or reserve squad players available in a pinch if you need them for a game or two. 

41 minutes ago, silentwars said:

I usually appoint an additional coach who is well rounded in all coaching departments and have him training every category (bar fitness/GK) as a support coach. Usually helps prevent the workload becoming heavy. 

As I say, he doesn't need to be well-rounded, he just needs to be present.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

As I say, he doesn't need to be well-rounded, he just needs to be present.

Depending the club I try and get in an ex player.  Doesn't have to be decent. But always feels nice.  A couple of FM's ago their stats were shocking but was at Spurs and had Nick Barmby and Teddy Sheringham both at the club essentially handing out bibs at training! 

20 hours ago, rsihn said:

you've made a bad decision in choosing to have 3 of them as fitness coaches

When I’m at a club that have limited coaches I don’t like to higher specific coaches like fitness coaches or gk coach. I like to hire them as normal coach so they can also work in other areas and reduce the overall workload 

Edited by DarJ

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. 

A couple of things occur to me: on the stars, it does seem that the meaning of stars differs to some extent between the recruitment aspect and the workplace aspect. I don't know if there's a way the game might improve the presentation of this -- maybe some way of indicating a coach's primary focus rather than a black & white do-this don't-do-that approach.

Second, relating to squad size and really a separate question: how do experiences compare regarding first arrival at a club. I play with the fake players option, and usually, wherever I land, the squad is horribly unbalanced in some way. Might be that half of them are over 30, might be 5-6 left backs and 1 right back -- and so on. Is it the same if you play with "real" players? 

Another question: does FM take squad size into account when calculating work load?

Edited by du Garbandier
additional question

2 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

Another question: does FM take squad size into account when calculating work load?

It certainly takes squad size into consideration when calculating work load. You can check this by looking at the coaches assignment page in the off season and you'll see that they zero workload