Which instructions I can use to make my players "come near the ball"?

I want to create a tactic that doesnt play "Positional football", however, I cant do it. I think I dont quite understand the Players Instructions and the Team Instructions. 

What I want to do:

I want the players to come near the ball when we are building up the game. Also, I dont want the players holding position at the channels or providing width when I'm attacking.

"But these are the good principles of football" - Good principles of (positional) football. I dont want that.

"But its not gonna work" - Fine, not a problem. I'm trying to see if it works, but my problem is that I cant seem to do this. If end up dont working, fine. But, at least, I would like to see it happen.

It doesnt matter how I build the tactic, the players are always providing width and attacking the channels, instead of coming near the ball. 

An example:

558953388_Semttulo.png.48cebfd5cc76211775efbd9a70b659b4.png

My team is the white one, we have the ball. Right before the screenshot, #24 passed the ball to #4. 

See the position of numbers #11, #7 and (in lesser extent) #8.

What I would love to see is #11 and #7 to came down and see a proper line of pass for the build up. Kind of making a "ladder". Something like that:

1232347677_Semttulo02.jpg.d9ee6d45d7f4dd6c7c7bfe4885d7be5a.jpg

In this edit I made, the #11 is way behind, while #7 is also behind and a little more centralized. That way, they form a "diagonal line of pass", so we can quickly break the line and come up with something dangerous.

In this case in particular, #11 is playing as Attacking Midfield - Support and #7 is Deep Lying Forward - Support.

My thought: players on attack will try to push the backline. So, I'd put my team on "balanced mentality" and my offensive players on support duties. That way, they should came deep to get the ball. But that dont happen.

Besides that, I'd like to see my team playing with a "approximation approach". Meaning: when one player has the ball, at least 2 of them should present themselves to play. One should be a safe pass, other should be a pass to break the line.

However, my players insist to hold position or to push the opposition's backline.

So, how can I put my vision to work? Thats being:

How can I make my players come near the ball in the building up?

Not sure, couple thoughts on ideas you could try:

• Training "play-one-twos" and "comes deep to get ball" onto your players as traits
  • Attacking width to very narrow
  • Turn off run wide with the ball in the PIs
  • Turn on "play out from the back"
  • Turn off "counter when possession in won"
  • Shorter passing
  • Another idea is asking the wide players to sit narrow on their PI
  • Focus attack through the middle
  • Reducing the tempo at which your going forward
  • I find setting wide players onto tight marking creates a pressing trap that  forces opposition into the center of the park, if that's where you want to play this could work

Something to try might be playing without a playmaker all together in your tactic? That could be effective way of forcing other players to get involved.

15 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

• Training "play-one-twos" and "comes deep to get ball" onto your players as traits
  • Shorter passing
  • I find setting wide players onto tight marking creates a pressing trap that  forces opposition into the center of the park, if that's where you want to play this could work

Something to try might be playing without a playmaker all together in your tactic? That could be effective way of forcing other players to get involved.

1 think I'd like to add is to put all of them to support duty. This increases the chance of them behind available to the ball. 
However, your specific requirements needs your players to have unrealistically good off the ball and anticipation. Without anticipation they wouldn't know when to move, without off the ball they wouldn't know where to move. Hence both of them become do important. 

On top of that, you need to have a lot of players with good composure and balance so they can keep the ball without falling off in a challange. Additionally good passing and vision to find open players. 

Hence, I'd recommend you to try this with specific set of teams who are extremely good at retaining possession in real life as well. For e.g: Man City and Barca (under xavi)

Hope it helps. 

image.png.216f1598a0caaa1565df64fb557e5d48.png

Here's a tactic I made a while back in FM22 that was quite flexible in terms of player movement. The wingers would move inside in pick up line breaking balls. Nobody holds width: both WBs instead run into the space at the right moment to break apart the opposition defence. It does work: in the league I finished 4th twice (both due to late season collapses), and won the Portuguese League Cup as well 2nd in the FA Cup

As other commenters noted, lots of support duties, and Attack duties are on creative roles. Narrow width, and the "sit narrower" instruction are both used. Play 1-2s was used a lot though and other players with dictate tempo were preferred

Link to thread if you're interested

Edited by The3points

9 horas atrás, Cloud9 disse:

• Shorter passing

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm gonna try theses suggestions. Most of them I tried already, but I think not at the same time. Unfortunately, I dont have many players with these traits, but I think I'm gonna have to try to develop them with my young gems.

My tactic does have one playmaker (I chose a regista because he can make a lot of horizontal moves and is always going where the ball is, so he naturally provides the kind of movement I want), but I'm gonna try to play without it to see how it goes. Thanks again!

9 horas atrás, HUMBL3B33 disse:

1 think I'd like to add is to put all of them to support duty. This increases the chance of them behind available to the ball. 
However, your specific requirements needs your players to have unrealistically good off the ball and anticipation. Without anticipation they wouldn't know when to move, without off the ball they wouldn't know where to move. Hence both of them become do important. 

On top of that, you need to have a lot of players with good composure and balance so they can keep the ball without falling off in a challange. Additionally good passing and vision to find open players. 

Hence, I'd recommend you to try this with specific set of teams who are extremely good at retaining possession in real life as well. For e.g: Man City and Barca (under xavi)

Hope it helps. 

Thanks for your reply!

Hm, I see. My team has good players with these attributes, but only for Brazilian level. I'm mean, I can work with dudes like Renato Augusto, Giuliano, Luan, Yuri Alberto, Roger Guedes, Fausto Vera, Paulinho. They are in the range of 13-16 in almost all of these attributes, but maybe thats not good enough. 

I'm gonna follow your input and start a test save with Man City to see if that makes some difference, thanks!

9 horas atrás, The3points disse:

image.png.216f1598a0caaa1565df64fb557e5d48.png

Here's a tactic I made a while back in FM22 that was quite flexible in terms of player movement. The wingers would move inside in pick up line breaking balls. Nobody holds width: both WBs instead run into the space at the right moment to break apart the opposition defence. It does work: in the league I finished 4th twice (both due to late season collapses), and won the Portuguese League Cup as well 2nd in the FA Cup

As other commenters noted, lots of support duties, and Attack duties are on creative roles. Narrow width, and the "sit narrower" instruction are both used. Play 1-2s was used a lot though and other players with dictate tempo were preferred

Link to thread if you're interested

Thanks for the reply! These resources seem great! I'm gonna give this thread a read and try this tactic on FM23 to see how it works at the current match engine and what I can learn from it. Thank you very much!

Like you said, my current tactic its full of support roles. I think I have only one guy attacking and its my fullback, if I'm not mistaken. I also think that I have a lot to learn about role sinergies and how to make good combos around the field.

1 hora atrás, Lordluap disse:

Do NOT use Play Out of Defence as this encourages wide players to pin the touchline.

Assign GK to Distribute to CB's with Short Kicks or Roll it Out if you don't want him kicking it long.

Do NOT use Overlaps

Play VERY NARROW

Interesting, these are great inputs. My tactic does have "Play out of Defence", that could explain some of the problems I'm facing. I think I also have Overlaps, so I'm gonna tick off these 2 instructions. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Lordluap said:

Do NOT use Play Out of Defence as this encourages wide players to pin the touchline.

Assign GK to Distribute to CB's with Short Kicks or Roll it Out if you don't want him kicking it long.

Do NOT use Overlaps

Play VERY NARROW

Surely POTD doesn't have that large of impact on player width, especially in the final 3rd.