Edited Club World Championship always playing in May each year and not December

\'Appy \'Ammer

I have hit a brick wall with reshaping the Club World Championship. I have been dabbling with various formats and decided to drop the 7 team one down to a 6 team format. I have got the matches working but my scheduling is not going as planned.

The tournament is scheduled to be played in December. But in testing it always plays in May, no matter what the year. I cannot fathom where it is pulling that information from. This is the original Club World Championship file that I have amended in Advanced Rules. So I changed it to an annual tournament and scrapped the group tournament that is planned.

I wonder has it anything to do with Fixture Rules? They are set at 4 in the original file. I have moved this to -1 but the same thing happens. I've also tried to create rules by setting up International Rules in the List Tab at the top middle of the menu on the left. But this just stopped it working so I removed it. So I don't know what Fixture Rules it is referring to? I did not have the same problem in FM22 when changing things.

Does anyone have an idea what I should be checking, or unchecking, or creating, or removing? 

PGE fcwc6 fixture dates test.png

PGE fcwc6 incorrect fixture dates test.png

PGE fcwc6 fixture dates2.png

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
Oops ... submitted too early

You might want to swap the draw and setup date.

The -1 fixture rules is that it looks at a default value. That shouldn't have an impact on scheduling though.

I would have to see the file to check on the May-December conundrum though.

Here is the file if you'd like to take a look. I swapped the draw date (thanks for spotting that!), but the problem still occurs.

This file is not complete so I haven't looked at sorting hosts and money out etc even though the fields are filled in. It's a work in progress! All I have been focusing on is a) getting the draw to work, and b) sorting out the dates. I just can't see why it keeps playing in May.

6.2.2 fcwc 6 clubs.fmf

2 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Ok, Final question before I rework this one more time. Should the Club World Championship be treated as an International Rules or Club Continental Rules in the editor?

Club Continental.

3 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

That might be part of the problem, for the fixture and discipline rules probably. Not sure about the data issues though.

Thanks @Wolf_pd. I have spent this evening re-doing the competition in club continental rules. But still no joy. Exactly the same problems. If anyone could take a look at this file I'd be very appreciated. Test results show the fixture dates to be correct but they are actually played in May. It now has rules it can relate to in fixtures and discipline, but still no different. I'm quite confused. Test results indicate allocation of teams several months late. Would that suggest I have dates wrong somewhere? I would have thought an error would pop up in that case.

pge fcwc 8.2 errors still.png

8.2 fcwc iclub continental rules.fmf

Silly question maybe, but have you tested in game as well? The editor test module can throw up some weird results. Looking at this, I need to free up some time so I at least remove some headache for you (can't fix that FM32 headache I caused :D )

I think I see what the issue is, but I am not sure yet what the fix is. Looking at the last screenshot, you see the following things happen, november SEP (no idea which team that is exactly) qualified as Copa Libertadores qualifier. 14th december start of the competition, which in itself is correct. But it almost looks like it is waiting for the other teams to qualify as well. One (minor) fix could be to add some history in your qualifying competitions, so the CLs and such to aid the available teams. Otherwise it won't find a qualifying team and will wait for it to qualify. But that only fixes available teams and doesn't explain the dates.

I believe this is the issue.

20230123153720_1.thumb.jpg.63edd581bb13777097141a8b5a5f2ef1.jpg

It's waiting for the ACL to end. But the ACL switches to a Sept-May schedule from the 23/24 season. So if it has to wait until that ends it can't start until after the final in May. Remove that requirement and it should be able to play in December. The Libertadores one is fine since that finishes in November so doesn't prevent the tournament from happening in December.

Also, FYI the Mode, shown below, needs to be Fixed Format Rules if you want your hosting setup to work. I noticed it ignores your selected host nations completely, under Flexible Format Rules competitions continue to use their default host settings, changing that to Fixed will make it use your setup instead.

20230123154603_1.thumb.jpg.db2bf4e2611e772087b234f741272452.jpg

You sir, @rusty217, are a gentleman and a scholar! The Asian CL was indeed the source of the problem. Thankyou.

Changing to fixed rules, however, stops the competition taking part, it even disappears from the menu in the game. I've had that problem before in earlier incarnations of this file when I switched to fixed. Going back to flexible makes the competition appear again, but as you say, with it ignoring my hosts.

• 5 months later...
On 23/01/2023 at 12:39, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

You sir, @rusty217, are a gentleman and a scholar! The Asian CL was indeed the source of the problem. Thankyou.

Changing to fixed rules, however, stops the competition taking part, it even disappears from the menu in the game. I've had that problem before in earlier incarnations of this file when I switched to fixed. Going back to flexible makes the competition appear again, but as you say, with it ignoring my hosts.

Did you ever sort this? Having the same issue with the CWC, fixed rules just stops it entirely while flexible allows for any change except hosting

On 19/07/2023 at 21:09, themodelcitizen said:

Did you ever sort this? Having the same issue with the CWC, fixed rules just stops it entirely while flexible allows for any change except hosting

I'm afraid not. In my file the hosting was fine for the first year as I had named the stadia to be involved. In the second year onwards I had hosts selected but they were never chosen. In theory if you were to re-write a competition (have a cwc 2023, cwc 2024, cwc 2025 etc), adding stadia for every year, like I had done in my first season. This would force the editor to use the nation and stadia you want. However it is not ideal, and would be very laborious, plus you would be only limited to the amount of seasons you were prepared to do it for. I considered this but decided it wasn't worth it.

17 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I'm afraid not. In my file the hosting was fine for the first year as I had named the stadia to be involved. In the second year onwards I had hosts selected but they were never chosen. In theory if you were to re-write a competition (have a cwc 2023, cwc 2024, cwc 2025 etc), adding stadia for every year, like I had done in my first season. This would force the editor to use the nation and stadia you want. However it is not ideal, and would be very laborious, plus you would be only limited to the amount of seasons you were prepared to do it for. I considered this but decided it wasn't worth it.

Wouldn't that just change the stadia used but not the "host nation" itself? I.e. it would say hosted by France and PSG are the host rep, even if you specified certain stadia? If we could get it to reflect a custom host, you could at least do, like, 10 rotating editions between Japan, Saudi, etc. Semi-realistic. 

I can't get it to do anything other than have Morocco as hard-coded host of the first edition before rotating between the hidden semi-random list of nations 

22 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Wouldn't that just change the stadia used but not the "host nation" itself? I.e. it would say hosted by France and PSG are the host rep, even if you specified certain stadia? If we could get it to reflect a custom host, you could at least do, like, 10 rotating editions between Japan, Saudi, etc. Semi-realistic. 

I can't get it to do anything other than have Morocco as hard-coded host of the first edition before rotating between the hidden semi-random list of nations 

Agh, you're dead right. I just tried to replicate what I described above but it played out exactly as you stated. I had made Japan host nation and added 2 Japanese stadia to use. It used the stadia but said Mexico was the host. 🤔

On 21/07/2023 at 12:38, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Agh, you're dead right. I just tried to replicate what I described above but it played out exactly as you stated. I had made Japan host nation and added 2 Japanese stadia to use. It used the stadia but said Mexico was the host. 🤔

I kind of like the default rotation, but obviously I'd like to force December 2023 to be in Saudi Arabia, and maybe re-make the June 2025 one with 32 teams if we could force it to be in the US.

I realize we could probably just use a different competition ID, like reviving the Intercontinental Cup and changing its name to "Club World Cup" with all of the same details and using that instead. That should get rid of whatever hard-coding is attached to the default Club World Cup ID. The only thing is, there might be other hard-coding in the background, stuff like news items when you win a Champions League telling you that you've qualified for the (default) Club World Cup...

I came to the conclusion the other night that re-doing the competition from scratch would be the sure fire way to get the host nations you want. Just a pain that would be the only way to do it. Regarding the hardcoded news items.... Would they still happen if you delete the default CWC from the game? 

Even just taking the competition rules you've already got set up, and changing the "competition" entry at the top to a different unique ID (so same rules, different comp ID) might open it up for those hosting changes. Not sure if it should be on flexible or fixed in that case (or if it matters).

Also realizing the CWC is hard-coded for that "fixture date" flag "use if club is in Club World Championship", which actually works and is quite convenient. Would be nice if there was something like that for "use if team is involved in continental Champions League"