New UCL Pairing System

I'm posting this here because I don't know if this is a bug (I suspect it isn't), and I'm curious on the experiences of others.

Currently managing Vigo in the 24-25 season and have them in the UCL. My understanding is that in 2024, the UCL will abandon its traditional round-robin groups in favor of a Swiss System of matchups. As a chess tournament director many years ago, I was familiar with the Swiss System, which allows reasonable pairings for a large number of competitors by pairing like opponents against one another for the first round. In chess, 1st round pairings are based on chess ratings. For the UCL, the method for initial pairings is likely to be a random drawing, so I wasn't surprised to be drawn against Liverpool in my first match, and I was thrilled to come away with a draw. Subsequent matches are supposed to pair sides with similar records, so I wasn't surprised to be drawn against FC Porto, who had also drawn their first match. The result was another draw, so I expected to be drawn against one of the three other sides who also had two points. But, no, I drew Man City, who were 2-0. Another draw. In the fourth match, I've now drawn AS Monaco, who comes in with 7 points. I don't know what method the game is using for pairings in the UCL, now, but it isn't the Swiss System. 

I'd appreciate any comments/insights.

36 minutes ago, Verby said:

I think you are confused and this reply has nothing to do with what the OP is asking

It kind of does.  OP is talking about drawing opponents based on previous results, which doesn't happen.  You know all the opponents before a ball is kicked, which is what the reply is saying.

10 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It kind of does.  OP is talking about drawing opponents based on previous results, which doesn't happen.  You know all the opponents before a ball is kicked, which is what the reply is saying.

I apologise in that case. 

For the OP, this might help abit.

dcaa6607e147a4e2e88b6f276f07fffb.png

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-champions-league/story/4366699/champions-league-swiss-model-revamp-all-you-need-to-know

Edited by Verby

As others have mentioned, for now it seems all fixtures will be decided before the competition starts (based on parameters outlined above) so it is not a true Swiss system. I have also played chess competitively in a past life and did have the same thought about it being referred to as Swiss, when it doesn't appear to be 😀

Yeah, it definitely won't be the standard Swiss system. It will still be based on quality though, just based on previous years coefficients to get that, rather than current form.

Doing it as a true Swiss system would just be unfeasible. Teams/fans need to know who they're playing and where beforehand in order to arrange transport/accomodation and buy the tickets etc. Plus rules to prevent teams from the same nation playing each other have to be taken into account too.