4atb which becomes 3atb in possesion.

The simplest way to do this (that I know of) is with a DMC half back. I want to do this with one of the fullbacks staying back and the defense shifting across, but it doesn't look quite right in the match engine (the back 3 ends up lopsided, which makes for easy counterattacks by the opposition). Any hints?

Best bet with FBs is FB-D or IWB-D and you'll get the lopsided shape.

For midfielders, when double pivots used to be in the CM strata, there was a trick where you put a CM-D with stay wider PI and you'd get a really nice back 3. Haven't tried it in FM23 with DM-D though

38 minutes ago, ElJuanvito said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't want the lopsided defensive line.

We've struggled with this for years now, it's not really possible to make it not lopsided and for it to perfectly resemble a back 3 in buildup/possession. Although there are a few ways to make it somewhat work.

spacer.png

You could use something like this. In possession you would have a back 3, and in defense it kinda does work like a back 4, where the RCB will shift to the RB spot, kinda... 

Turning a back 4 into a back 3 in fm is not easy - it’s not actually easy in real life either when trying to keep it disciplined. Try ur RB on fbD, with sit narrower instruction. Have ur LB on either FBA or WBA, with run wider instruction. Give  the left side cb a stay wider instruction. I would still use a screening midfielder in front like a DM (s or d) depending how rest of team is set up.  It won’t be perfect but should give you a block of 3 holding when you attack. 

On 31/01/2023 at 07:16, dazza11 said:

Turning a back 4 into a back 3 in fm is not easy - it’s not actually easy in real life either when trying to keep it disciplined. Try ur RB on fbD, with sit narrower instruction. Have ur LB on either FBA or WBA, with run wider instruction. Give  the left side cb a stay wider instruction. I would still use a screening midfielder in front like a DM (s or d) depending how rest of team is set up.  It won’t be perfect but should give you a block of 3 holding when you attack. 

It's going to be lopsided with a space on the LB side and there's also space between the CBs. Tried it before although only on FM21.

However, when I instructed the team to focus play on the flank, I'll get a back 3 with the IWBs near to the ball play higher and narrower while the other IWB take up the half space beside the CB. If the ball is in the center, I will still have only the CBs behind.

Screenshot_20230204_131231.png.6c4c0beca88293392890dc19d24f5ca9.pngNot quite sure if this is what you where wanting but this shape is quite easy to create with a few simple roles along with PI's and ensuring the players you choose don't have contrasting PPMS.

Screenshot_20230204_131449.png.6f4f9b88032c159411354de992cfe47f.png

Screenshot_20230204_131458.png.0307102d850ad4dcd303d7fd6fdcf4fb.pngScreenshot_20230204_131510.png.4ec93c3dd86ce47c052f8c87d49d6f5d.png

I'm not saying its perfect or even necessarily what you are looking for but it's something that I threw together in a few minutes just to provide an example of how you can do this.