How does this happen

I have had a successful career starting in league 2 and eventually taking over real madrid.

I built a great side and had a lively 4231 which suited my team. Teams mostly play defensive against me and i normally play positive. Im not too attacking and i have a balanced version against the big boys.

I find on my version the AI are ridiculous and often get 93 points. That means you need to virtually win every game and any points lost is fatal.

I find (my opion only) that my tactics just stop working. Suddenly i will have no highlights and before i know Getafe are winning 2:0? Next game ill have no highlights and lose 1:0 to Cadiz. There is no loss of morale or form. I played on... 2:2, lost 1:0, drew 0:0. The season before i was untouchable.

I feel i need to build a completly new tactic i.e 433 or diamond, but i have built to play a 4231?

What tweaks do you make to keep tactic fresh each year? Or do you completely change tactic/shape.

27 minutes ago, Triggerusa39 said:

I have had a successful career starting in league 2 and eventually taking over real madrid.

I built a great side and had a lively 4231 which suited my team. Teams mostly play defensive against me and i normally play positive. Im not too attacking and i have a balanced version against the big boys.

I find on my version the AI are ridiculous and often get 93 points. That means you need to virtually win every game and any points lost is fatal.

I find (my opion only) that my tactics just stop working. Suddenly i will have no highlights and before i know Getafe are winning 2:0? Next game ill have no highlights and lose 1:0 to Cadiz. There is no loss of morale or form. I played on... 2:2, lost 1:0, drew 0:0. The season before i was untouchable.

I feel i need to build a completly new tactic i.e 433 or diamond, but i have built to play a 4231?

What tweaks do you make to keep tactic fresh each year? Or do you completely change tactic/shape.

Opposition managers will adapt to what you have been playing. I think you may be finding that they're sitting deeper against you than before and trying to hit you on the break. Try watching the games in full and you should be able to get an idea of what's going wrong and where. 

There are also a lot of internal factors that could result in your team stagnating, even fatigue

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

Opposition managers will adapt to what you have been playing. I think you may be finding that they're sitting deeper against you than before and trying to hit you on the break. Try watching the games in full and you should be able to get an idea of what's going wrong and where. 

There are also a lot of internal factors that could result in your team stagnating, even fatigue

Hey, thanks. That does make sense. I am seeing them using defensive with a 4141 and they are scoring on the break.

What tweaks do you suggest to break them down and prevent the breaks? 

31 minutes ago, Triggerusa39 said:

Hey, thanks. That does make sense. I am seeing them using defensive with a 4141 and they are scoring on the break.

What tweaks do you suggest to break them down and prevent the breaks? 

You can either stretch the pitch as wide as possible (Guardiola does at Man City) or try to trap them and win the ball back in their own half (Klopp at Liverpool).

This will depend on your squad more than anything and the players you've recruited. Either way go into the opposition instructions before games you feel like you can dominate and look for the weak player in their defence: you're going to target him specifically. If an opposition defender has poor first touch, concentration, composure, decisions, anticipation (varying combinations of these) trigger press him and tackle him hard. You could also focus play down his side during periods of the match, or switch to an asymmetrical attack to specifically target his him. 

In a 4-2-3-1 the player in the 10 position is given a pretty free role usually, make sure he has the technical and mental attributes to unlock the opposition. If he's not elite (you're at Madrid) move him on for a world class player.

Defensively you'll need pace to play a highline in your defense in either style and a proper holding DM will go a long way to preventing a counter attack. You could play around with inverting a wingback who will tuck in the DM position, this can leave you vulnerable on the flanks but will provide additional support/buildup in the center of the park (so if you chose to you one do so situationally). Watch the matches and see where there's space when your players are trying to break down the opposition, in their setup and yours. If you can address/exploit those areas you'll do great.

Anytime you're playing a really high line trying to break down the opposition you're going to need a super quick center half. A quick SK is another help to stop breaks.

1 minute ago, Cloud9 said:

You can either stretch the pitch as wide as possible (Guardiola does at Man City) or try to trap them and win the ball back in their own half (Klopp at Liverpool).

This will depend on your squad more than anything and the players you've recruited. Either way go into the opposition instructions before games you feel like you can dominate and look for the weak player in their defence: you're going to target him specifically. If an opposition defender has poor first touch, concentration, composure, decisions, anticipation (varying combinations of these) trigger press him and tackle him hard. You could also focus play down his side during periods of the match, or switch to an asymmetrical attack to specifically target his him. 

In a 4-2-3-1 the player in the 10 position is given a pretty free role usually, make sure he has the technical and mental attributes to unlock the opposition. If he's not elite (you're at Madrid) move him on for a world class player.

Defensively you'll need pace to play a highline in your defense in either style and a proper holding DM will go a long way to preventing a counter attack. You could play around with inverting a wingback who will tuck in the DM position, this can leave you vulnerable on the flanks but will provide additional support/buildup in the center of the park (so if you chose to you one do so situationally). Watch the matches and see where there's space when your players are trying to break down the opposition, in their setup and yours. If you can address/exploit those areas you'll do great.

Anytime you're playing a really high line trying to break down the opposition you're going to need a super quick center half. A quick SK is another help to stop breaks.

Legend! Thank you