Inverted Wing backs working?

Trying to make a tactic where a Man City tactic where my fullbacks come into midfield by using the inverted fullback roles. I only have one half back and then further up I have a Carellio.

General tactics is playing wide, slow tempo with short passing. Ive got individual instructions on wingers to stay wide.

I was hoping that the fullbacks would come inside with the Half back but currently they are wider than my Wingers 

Try playing through the middle but keep your width - and push them up a notch to the wing back position rather than the full back position. 

Edited by Mst82

32 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Trying to make a tactic where a Man City tactic where my fullbacks come into midfield by using the inverted fullback roles. I only have one half back and then further up I have a Carellio.

General tactics is playing wide, slow tempo with short passing. Ive got individual instructions on wingers to stay wide.

I was hoping that the fullbacks would come inside with the Half back but currently they are wider than my Wingers 

Only thing i can think if that should stop him from coming inside is if you have a dm on the side where your iwb is. Could you post your whole tactic?

21 minutes ago, Mst82 said:

Try playing through the middle but keep your width - and push them up a notch to the wing back position rather than the full back position. 

Tried this - nada 

Full backs dont come in and just play as normal fullbacks 

13 minutes ago, julle17 said:

Only thing i can think if that should stop him from coming inside is if you have a dm on the side where your iwb is. Could you post your whole tactic?

Done,

got 2 Inverted fullbacks and one Dm in the centre and tried in a game moving to no midfielder in the defensive 3rd and still nada 

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

image.thumb.png.6ab22db64bf51dc8ab3be10384479ad1.pngimage.thumb.png.d84ed1f11967b2bfe1004d0d2d1deb49.png

I believe the problem is that your distributing out wide to the IWB and then asking them to play down the flanks, so they're staying out there instead of coming into the midfield in possession to help with build up. 

I'd also try out playing with a traditional double pivot instead of having 1 CM and 1 DM. They reworked the double pivots this year, so they can particularly impactful to your setup. Another thing to think about is a lot of the time one of fullbacks is inverted in a 4-2-3-1, the other one stays wide to provide width (deployed as a wb (s) or fb (s) instead). You might find that particularly impactful on the left hand side where everyone is coming inside and Bellingham is left trying to pick up the pieces. 

IWB are also quite weak on defence so pared with the IF(a) your left hand side could end up getting exposed on the counter, that might be something to look out for as well.

Last point is on the TF, your players will try to seek him out as the focal point which may mean they're crossing/kicking it long more often than you'd like them to based on your low tempo, short passing and work the ball into the box.

Edited by Cloud9

I had them working well using @OJ tactic above. However, after a while the AI figured it out and man marked them both out the game, so I had to tinker  

Go to the end of the thread and work back for his revamped possession tactic 

Edited by Mst82

I suggest watching a match on full match highlights. You will probably see your IWBs moving to the middle on occasion but often remaining out wide. They behave with some degree of intelligence, reacting to the empty spaces on the pitch. Usually, those empty spaces are spots out wide, especially if you use an IF or IW ahead of them. Using conventional wingers ahead of them might free up your IWBs to positionally more centrally. If you use an IWB(a), you will probably see them scoring a few goals from the edge of the box.

The one thing I really enjoy about IWBs is that they are rated a little more leniently by the match rating system. WBs, on the other hand, often receive dreadful ratings from missing one or two crosses and not providing assets.