Has SI fixed the player AI for teams with age restrictions (University/High School teams, Academies, etc)?

Chas (Psyatika)

In previous versions of the game, I found playing as a club with an age restriction, such as a University or Football Academy, really annoying, as the players become upset when you "refuse" to offer them a new contract, despite it being literally impossible due to the club rules.

In FM23, do players on teams with age or other contract restrictions still behave as if they have no idea the restriction exists? Or do they understand that they are meant to leave the club at the end of their contract (or the equivalent)?

And if not, then why has it been an option in the editor all these years?!

I don't have FM23, by the way, so I can't check for myself in the newest version of the game.

10 minutes ago, Supermercado99 said:

Or when it's an amateur team and they don't immediately release players when they become ineligible to play.

I'd also be interested in this, it's the sort of tiny thing that you can report as a bug/suggestion but never know if it's been fixed without shelling out for the new version.

I actually had this exact issue with a team I created as an Academy team with an age restriction of 23 years. I would try to time everyone's contracts to expire before they turned 24, but then some players would stay beyond their 24th birthday and complain that they're not getting playing time. And then they would get upset again if I tried to sell them. At a club where they are literally not allowed to play.

My goal was to sell the good youth players for a profit, so just releasing them at age 24 wasn't ideal. 

I was hoping to build a club where I could gradually increase the youth facilities and create an Academy where young players could prove themselves and earn contracts at other clubs, while generating profit for the club by selling those players. It just didn't work that way in older games.

Is that actually true now? Did you verify it? Or are you just guessing?

When I tried to play as a team with a maximum age in prior versions of FM, the game still allowed you to sign players to contracts that kept them beyond the maximum age. The over-age players would stay at the club, but have the "Ine" icon next to their names, so they could not be selected in match squads. They would still get upset about lack of first team football, and would still get upset if you tried to sell them.

7 hours ago, Chas (Psyatika) said:

Is that actually true now? Did you verify it? Or are you just guessing?

When I tried to play as a team with a maximum age in prior versions of FM, the game still allowed you to sign players to contracts that kept them beyond the maximum age. The over-age players would stay at the club, but have the "Ine" icon next to their names, so they could not be selected in match squads. They would still get upset about lack of first team football, and would still get upset if you tried to sell them.

I especially hated when they signed somebody a month under the limit in the off-season, then they played two games, hit the limit, then sat on the team sheet all year ineligible to do anything. AI should auto-release amateur/non-contract on the day they become ineligible.