New nation in Europe playing internationals (template)

themodelcitizen

Using United Arab Republic, I think I've managed to add a European nation to Nations League, WC Qualifying, Euro qualifying, and U19 qualifying (U21s can handle the extra team already). This was just a matter of adjusting some of the group and ranking settings (looks like we can get Russia back in with similar steps).

To change it to your nation of choice (like, Ireland pre-1922), go in and undo the changes I've made to UAR (switching continent to Europe and "worldwide governing body" to yes), and apply those same changes to your nation of choice. You also need  change a couple of "registered teams" entries in the advanced rules:

Spoiler

newcontinent1.thumb.png.1a049264f182d8bef1e02f5c2eb771fc.pngnewcontinent3.thumb.png.4777f0d6cf5ad075504db2edfcce3f4d.png

File is here: download

Could use some more testing. Haven't tried to add clubs yet but I think they would be added to the UEFA coefficients system.

EDIT: Actually it seems I can't add a team to Euro qualifying without breaking it. Trying to test around it now

Edited by themodelcitizen

5 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Could use some more testing. Haven't tried to add clubs yet but I think they would be added to the UEFA coefficients system.

This might be an issue. They'll be included for the 22/23 season, but from what I can tell the new 2024 onwards format for UEFA competitions is fixed at 54 nations. So any extra countries at place 55 or below would be in the coefficient system, but have no qualification places and therefore no way to actually earn coefficient points.

If your custom nation has a good 1st season then they could move above somebody like San Marino or Andorra and they'd be excluded instead. But either way 1 country will be permanently excluded from Europe.

Edited by rusty217

1 hour ago, rusty217 said:

This might be an issue. They'll be included for the 22/23 season, but from what I can tell the new 2024 onwards format for UEFA competitions is fixed at 54 nations. So any extra countries at place 55 or below would be in the coefficient system, but have no qualification places and therefore no way to actually earn coefficient points.

If your custom nation has a good 1st season then they could move above somebody like San Marino or Andorra and they'd be excluded instead. But either way 1 country will be permanently excluded from Europe.

Hmm hadn't thought of that. I wonder if it can be manipulated.

I might just satisfy myself with the "new" country not having any clubs, just "based nation" clubs. So, the Catalan clubs (or Jerseyman, or whatever) in another country's system (eg. Spain). As long as there are no clubs with "nation" set, it shouldn't try to qualify anyone (Barca would stay in the "continental cup nation" Spain). Catalonia would still play internationals as per the OP.

Alternately I wonder if the Liechstenstein Cup unique ID could be repurposed and have Catalonia send one cup winner to Europe every year. Just force every Liechtensteiner record into Switzerland and use it as the shell for a new nation. Don't even need all the steps in the OP for that

2 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Hmm hadn't thought of that. I wonder if it can be manipulated.

I might just satisfy myself with the "new" country not having any clubs, just "based nation" clubs. So, the Catalan clubs (or Jerseyman, or whatever) in another country's system (eg. Spain). As long as there are no clubs with "nation" set, it shouldn't try to qualify anyone (Barca would stay in the "continental cup nation" Spain). Catalonia would still play internationals as per the OP.

Alternately I wonder if the Liechstenstein Cup unique ID could be repurposed and have Catalonia send one cup winner to Europe every year. Just force every Liechtensteiner record into Switzerland and use it as the shell for a new nation. Don't even need all the steps in the OP for that

That's basically what I've done with Monaco. Just have AS Monaco based there, but no clubs or competitions. They actually were on the qualifiers list with 1 place (which never went to anybody) for the Conference League the first season, but after the format change they're just in 55th place with no qualification places.

Really weird that SI have changed it not to include extra nations anymore. Especially considering there are already 55 nations in Europe. The old system would've automatically adjusted if/when russia are allowed to play in Europe again, the new system SI will have to manually adjust it to include them.

I doubt the Liechtenstein Cup would work. Probably hardcoded just for that, I'd imagine it works like other qualification places too, where it's just assigned to get the national cup winner from that country, so the UID of the Liechtenstein Cup shouldn't be the defining factor, rather it being classed as the main cup for Liechtenstein is. Another option, if it's possible to edit European competitions now without breaking things, would be to just add a team in one of the qualifying rounds. The UEFA competitions are pretty good at adjusting to more/less teams in the quals anyway.

Either of those options causes another issue though. If the extra nation has a way into Europe still they'll be able to earn coefficient points and move up the rankings, then they won't need that extra option anymore. Plus any country they move above would then lose their places instead.

1 hour ago, rusty217 said:

That's basically what I've done with Monaco. Just have AS Monaco based there, but no clubs or competitions. They actually were on the qualifiers list with 1 place (which never went to anybody) for the Conference League the first season, but after the format change they're just in 55th place with no qualification places.

Really weird that SI have changed it not to include extra nations anymore. Especially considering there are already 55 nations in Europe. The old system would've automatically adjusted if/when russia are allowed to play in Europe again, the new system SI will have to manually adjust it to include them.

I doubt the Liechtenstein Cup would work. Probably hardcoded just for that, I'd imagine it works like other qualification places too, where it's just assigned to get the national cup winner from that country, so the UID of the Liechtenstein Cup shouldn't be the defining factor, rather it being classed as the main cup for Liechtenstein is. Another option, if it's possible to edit European competitions now without breaking things, would be to just add a team in one of the qualifying rounds. The UEFA competitions are pretty good at adjusting to more/less teams in the quals anyway.

Either of those options causes another issue though. If the extra nation has a way into Europe still they'll be able to earn coefficient points and move up the rankings, then they won't need that extra option anymore. Plus any country they move above would then lose their places instead.

For Liechtenstein I meant literally replacing the entire country with a new created nation, and folding all the previously Liechtensteiner records into Switzerland or Austria. So the game would still think it's getting the Liechtenstein national champion from the Liechtenstein cup, it's just that it would be a "new nation" (writing over Liechtenstein) and the Liechtensteiner Cup would be renamed and played alongside the Spanish season instead of the Swiss season. But yeah, I can only imagine that will throw up more issues.

My bad, this seems to break Euro qualifying now and I can't change it back, if anyone can figure that bit out feel free to have a go ("stages" are greyed out and uneditable). It's annoying because you can fully integrate them into Nations League, World Cup quals, and the U21/U19 competition without too much trouble. Might just unify Ireland or something again to try and free up a slot

3 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

My bad, this seems to break Euro qualifying now and I can't change it back, if anyone can figure that bit out feel free to have a go ("stages" are greyed out and uneditable). It's annoying because you can fully integrate them into Nations League, World Cup quals, and the U21/U19 competition without too much trouble. Might just unify Ireland or something again to try and free up a slot

Good old Euro Quals. Yeah, they don't open correctly in the editor. To add teams you'd need to effectively recreate them.

47 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Good old Euro Quals. Yeah, they don't open correctly in the editor. To add teams you'd need to effectively recreate them.

Yeah, leaning towards just replacing a team in "registered teams". I guess most people move Kazakhstan into Asia but won't that mess up AFC coefficients and such? I was considering just swapping Belarus out like Russia, not sure how they escaped the same fate IRL

6 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Yeah, leaning towards just replacing a team in "registered teams". I guess most people move Kazakhstan into Asia but won't that mess up AFC coefficients and such? I was considering just swapping Belarus out like Russia, not sure how they escaped the same fate IRL

I'm not sure changing registered teams would help. I expect it's just set to get teams from Europe, then when it finds 1 too many it breaks.

Moving Kazakhstan is what people usually do (poor Kazakhs). It will permanently exclude them from all club continental competitions (AFC coefficients don't add new teams) but they'd automatically be added to all Asian international qualifiers. Moving Belarus would also work.

It seems to work with the default 54-team setup (one less for host) even if there's an extra team in Europe - even if the extra team is "affiliated to world governing body". They just don't take part.

I was trying to just add to the registered teams list like I did in WCQ, but without the ability to adjust stages, rankings etc it just breaks it... If only it was the other way around (no WCQ but yes to Euros) you could imagine a nation that was part of UEFA but not FIFA (a la the CONCACAF members like Martinique)

Trying to add new nations really is a complete pain. The only way to get it to work 100% out of the box is to replace an existing nation, and I can never bring myself to do it.

When you start looking around you really do discover the inconsistencies of how SI create competitions, as general the more recent a competition has been added to th game the easier they are to edit. And with UEGFA qualification not realling being updated for the past 20 years, I suspect in game not much has been changed.

• Nations League - easy to edit
  • European world cup Qualifiers - Just omits the worst team
  • Euro Qualifies - exists in a black box and has to be rebuilt

and that doesn't take into account the interconnectivity between them.

But then the club competitions just add in another team, no problem, its all a bit weird.

Then Asia is different again, can handle additional nations in the World Cup/Asia cup qualification with ease, technical the Preliminary round will allow you to add multiple teams, though this may change in the slightly tweaked format which I hope will be in the January update, but who knows. But the clubs wont play in the AFC competition and they must be rebuilt, thus breaking the coefficients

I have successfully removed a county from CONCACAF, by editing all the competitions, so theoretically the reverse could also be done, but then the issue is the club competitions are a minefield to update, I'm waiting on the correct new CONCACAF format to be implemented in the base game before trying with that, I want to make a Caribbean Super League as my next project.