Template tactics - best ones? Most enjoyable ones?

I don't want to use anything but template tactics. In part due to wanting to make the game harder, as part of a set of harsh restrictions. In part because I hate tactics and basically want to spend as little time on it as possible.

So - if you are only allowed to use the in-game template tactics (see picture):

- Which are the best ones? When? In which scenario is this or the other tactic strong?

- Which are the most enjoyable ones, the most beautiful to watch? When, under which circumstances (how good do the players need to be in which ways in order to master a given style etc.).

What I know so far: Gegenpressing still seems OP in most scenarios. That is pretty much all I know from personal experience, since I have barely ever used anything else.

I seriously consider trying Tiki-Taka because it could be beautiful to watch, potentially the most beautiful playing style. Like Barcelona back in the day. But I wonder how that would work in League Two or something, hehe.

image.thumb.png.86432c90b4f293e8d5f17e3b61590372.png

18 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Doesn't it rather depend on your players?

I guess so. I guess that what I meant was - which template tactics are the best ones (in this or the other scenario) in the long term, when you constistently recruit players who fit the system? Over many transfer windows, season after season. But such a question doesn't necessarily make sense I guess. The experienced heads here know much better than I do.

There can be inspiration taken from other threads, and while this one is a bit light on details hopefully it allows room for the OP to perhaps specify a bit more about what they're looking to do and can add context about their own team. 

18 hours ago, danej said:

I don't want to use anything but template tactics. In part due to wanting to make the game harder, as part of a set of harsh restrictions. In part because I hate tactics and basically want to spend as little time on it as possible.

So - if you are only allowed to use the in-game template tactics (see picture):

- Which are the best ones? When? In which scenario is this or the other tactic strong?

- Which are the most enjoyable ones, the most beautiful to watch? When, under which circumstances (how good do the players need to be in which ways in order to master a given style etc.).

What I know so far: Gegenpressing still seems OP in most scenarios. That is pretty much all I know from personal experience, since I have barely ever used anything else.

I seriously consider trying Tiki-Taka because it could be beautiful to watch, potentially the most beautiful playing style. Like Barcelona back in the day. But I wonder how that would work in League Two or something, hehe.

image.thumb.png.86432c90b4f293e8d5f17e3b61590372.png

The question you're asking is subjective.

The previous thread where you asked this has a lot of good advice on how pre-set tactics compare and when you might use them. Ultimately what you enjoy seeing in your football will dictate what's "most enjoyable."

On 12/02/2023 at 22:47, santy001 said:

There can be inspiration taken from other threads, and while this one is a bit light on details hopefully it allows room for the OP to perhaps specify a bit more about what they're looking to do and can add context about their own team. 

Yeah, I guess you are right.

I guess I in part wrote the OP also in order to make myself reflect better, as many people do from time to time I guess, here and elsewhere. In part a bit like a diary, but better since you often get quality input here.

Since I wrote the OP, I have more or less decided to try the standard Tiki-Taka (not the vertical one, although the vertical one might be more OP in the game engine).

More specifially, I will probably play the template 4-3-3 DM wide Tiki-Taka (non-vertical) in all future saves. That is, untill I get excited about a new project which of course happens from time to time.

In any case, this means that I will use the Tiki-Taka whether I am Man City or the worst team in the Vanarama North/South.

Should be fun. Success comes too easily with Gegenpressing that I have used so far, in spite of vary harsh restrictions that I use on all my saves (barely buying any players, only about 1-2 each year that the DoF initialises, not touching training, not touching scouting, delegating almost everything including hiring/firing of staff etc.).

Results will likely be worse than with Gegenpressing at almost any club. Especially in the short term, when I have not had several transfer windows to recruit new players whom fit the Tiki-Taka.

But we shall see. I am looking forward to trying it out in any case. Think it will be enjoyable.

Edited by danej

7 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

The question you're asking is subjective.

The previous thread where you asked this has a lot of good advice on how pre-set tactics compare and when you might use them. Ultimately what you enjoy seeing in your football will dictate what's "most enjoyable."

Yes, I think you are right. By the way, see my comments above. I have been having many of the same thoughts myself in recent days.

1 hour ago, jcafcwbb said:

With my AFC Wimbledon save I use Gegenpress when I am favourite and Fluid Counter Attack when I am not.

I switch to Control Possession when defending a lead. 

Don't you find Gegenpress overpowered? In my experience, Gegenpressing has been OP in every single save since I started playing back at FM21. Personally I have probably gotten a bit fed up with Gegenpressing, because it seems very OP. Succes can be fun up to a certain point. But when I found that with Gegenpressing, succes was basically a foregone conclusion with any team, I started to lose interest.

25 minutes ago, danej said:

Don't you find Gegenpress overpowered? In my experience, Gegenpressing has been OP in every single save since I started playing back at FM21. Personally I have probably gotten a bit fed up with Gegenpressing, because it seems very OP. Succes can be fun up to a certain point. But when I found that with Gegenpressing, succes was basically a foregone conclusion with any team, I started to lose interest.

The problem is that there is not a template for lower league sides that works for attacking. Wing Play is hit and mostly miss, any form of tiki-taka is not suitable and Route One means you have to have a big number 9. Control Possession is not good for chance creation.

I am doing a save where I am only allowing myself to use the template tactics (with only tweaks to either team mentality or player role/mentality/positions) and Gegenpress is the only one that works if you want to attack. The game lacks a standard attacking option template for lower league teams which is between the aggressiveness of the Gegenpress and the ball retention of the Tika-Taka for those who do not want to play lump it up to the big guy football. Unless someone has any suggestions. 

1 hour ago, jcafcwbb said:

The problem is that there is not a template for lower league sides that works for attacking. Wing Play is hit and mostly miss, any form of tiki-taka is not suitable and Route One means you have to have a big number 9. Control Possession is not good for chance creation.

I am doing a save where I am only allowing myself to use the template tactics (with only tweaks to either team mentality or player role/mentality/positions) and Gegenpress is the only one that works if you want to attack. The game lacks a standard attacking option template for lower league teams which is between the aggressiveness of the Gegenpress and the ball retention of the Tika-Taka for those who do not want to play lump it up to the big guy football. Unless someone has any suggestions. 

What I've found is using the Gegenpressing out of possession instructions works pretty well with some more possession based in possession ones. 

So I use the Gegenpress but clear the in possession instructions and instead go with:

Fairly Narrow, Play out of Defence, Slightly Lower Tempo and Work Into Box. 

So I press like a maniac to win the ball back, but instead of hammering it forward at pace, we focus more on keeping the ball, but I still have counter selected in transition to allow us to take advantage of counter attacking opportunities. 

2 hours ago, jcafcwbb said:

The game lacks a standard attacking option template for lower league teams which is between the aggressiveness of the Gegenpress and the ball retention of the Tika-Taka for those who do not want to play lump it up to the big guy football. Unless someone has any suggestions. 

What about the out-of-possession options of the gegenpress and blank instructions for in-possession with a Positive mentality?

Edit: Sorry, I literally recommended the same as CJ.

Edited by bosque