Workaround - Playing against teams on two sets of rules

FM21_Scout

So, I used International rules on one database and a custom Australian pyramid with Nation Rules on another data file.

You may know or not know, but you can't play with two sets of Nation/International Rules minus a merge where leagues exist but aren't playable. So there's no way for one of my Croatian teams to play with my Australian teams.

However, there is a workaround. The various Champions Leagues feature teams from various countries (The Club World Championship will ignore the teams from the 2nd set of nation rules). If you want to have the Croatian teams in this situation play against the teams from Australia in this situation, you just have to create custom comps and use the best 4-8 or whatever teams from the Asian Champions Leagues. Then the custom Australian teams should pull up despite being on a different set of nation rules. Obviously, you will only be able to play a couple of those teams, but it's a way to make it happen. I haven't gotten to try this yet, but it should work.

Edited by FM21_Scout

huh? Not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

No, teams can't be in domestic leagues for more than 1 nation at a time.

Yes, teams can play in other competitions with teams from other nations. That's always been the case. You can do it in nation rules too, eg. the default Scottish Challenge Cup features a couple teams from Northern Ireland and Wales, you could do something like that too.

You making one of those Croatian diaspora tournaments with teams from Australia, Canada, etc? You can pull specific teams all kinds of different ways. You might have an issue where you've created a bunch of teams and competitions so you can't call on their unique ID in another file? There's probably a cleaner workaround someone has come up with

On 14/02/2023 at 23:16, rusty217 said:

huh? Not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

No, teams can't be in domestic leagues for more than 1 nation at a time.

Yes, teams can play in other competitions with teams from other nations. That's always been the case. You can do it in nation rules too, eg. the default Scottish Challenge Cup features a couple teams from Northern Ireland and Wales, you could do something like that too.

I created custom tournaments with international rules on a database, along with new custom teams. I then created a new Australian set-up with all new competitions and new teams. There's no way for the original database to recognize the newly created Australian teams without database mergers (that come with many problems), so they can't play. You would think you could do it through the Club World Championship, but the CWC does not recognize the new Aussie system.

There are two ways you can make these teams from different databases play though:

1) Friendlies

2) For this case, making finishing in the Top 8 in the Asian Champions League a qualifier for a custom tournament on the original database allows you to play the Australian teams (provided they do well enough in the Asian Champions League).

Edited by FM21_Scout

• FM21_Scout changed the title to Workaround - Playing against teams on two sets of rules
4 hours ago, FM21_Scout said:

I created custom tournaments with international rules on a database, along with new custom teams. I then created a new Australian set-up with all new competitions and new teams. There's no way for the original database to recognize the newly created Australian teams without database mergers (that come with many problems), so they can't play. You would think you could do it through the Club World Championship, but the CWC does not recognize the new Aussie system.

There are two ways you can make these teams from different databases play though:

1) Friendlies

2) For this case, making finishing in the Top 8 in the Asian Champions League a qualifier for a custom tournament on the original database allows you to play the Australian teams (provided they do well enough in the Asian Champions League).

Using a base database with all the custom stuff in and creating your competition rules from that would work too.

Or, you could just not create new stuff for Australia. Just re-name the existing competitions and delete their history instead. If you tell your continental competition to get teams from the A-League, that links it to the UID number, not the "A-League". So if you change the A-League name/format it will still retain the same UID number and will still work for the other competition trying to get teams from it.

There's also an option to get the best teams from a country's league by referring to the country itself, rather than the league. That would also allow you to do it, even if you're using completely different competitions there. Use Get Best Teams From Division and just choose the country, leave the division part blank. You can then tell it to sort by last position so you get the highest finishing teams from the last season. I use that method for my club world cup with the Nations set to host nation. Impossible to define a specific division to get teams from when the host nation could change each year, but setting it to get the best teams from that nation's league works. Should work if you use a specific nation too instead of host nation.