Desert Treasure - One Evening with a Smuggled Superstar

EvilDave

“Good evening. I’m Oliver Downing, and welcome to a very special episode of Global Sports Showcase. Tonight, we truly are in the presence of greatness. Just three months ago, one of Africa’s greatest ever footballers brought a glittering career to close after countless accolades, awards and trophies, and we have the privilege of speaking with the great man himself as we explore the clubs, goals and stories that ensure he will go down as one of the games’ all-time greats. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Brahim Kamara.”

“Thank you Oliver, it’s great to be here.”

“First of all, Brahim, congratulations on a wonderful career. How are you finding retirement?”

“Thank you. For me, retirement is strange - ever since I was a child I have been playing football, and I still love the game. But sometimes you have to listen to what your body is telling you. I’m still keeping myself healthy, but I have a lot of time on my hands now!”

“And how are you spending that time, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Well I’ve only retired from playing football, so there is plenty of work with the Foundation and with UNICEF, who I’ve partnered with for a long time. But mainly I’m able to spend more time with my wife and children, which I’m really grateful for.”

“That’s wonderful to hear, and we’ll spend some time later focusing on your charity work as I’m sure a lot of people would like to know more. But you mentioned you have been playing football since you were a child - what was childhood like for you? What part did football play for young Brahim?”

“Childhood was happy and hard, I think is the best way to say it. From the outside, you would say we didn’t have a lot - we were a big family in a small town in Mauritania until we moved to the capital, and for my parents it was a struggle to have enough. But we had fun - I was always playing with my brothers and sisters, with friends at football, even at school. We didn’t have a lot of toys, but we always had a ball to play with!”

“You mentioned your brothers and sisters - you’re one of six children, how was it having such a large family?”

“For me, it was just normal. Sometimes we had fights, sometimes we were best friends, always we played together. There wasn’t much space in the house, but that was all we knew. We couldn’t change anything.”

“Did that change when you moved to Nouakchott? You were only young when your family moved, I think?”

“Yes, I was six years old so still only a boy. Nouakchott was so much bigger than Choum where we lived before, and my father could earn more money, but living in the city was very different. The house was smaller, everything was more busy, more dirty. But also more opportunities for my football.”

“Tell us about those first few years then, because you were never a professional in Mauritania, were you? How did you become a footballer?”

“It’s a complicated story, but at first it was easy. I grew up early, so I was always one of the best with my friends and at school. Sometimes when I played for local clubs, other coaches would ask for my documents because they didn’t believe me! But I enjoyed being one of the best, and I practised hard so I didn’t need to rely on my size.

“When I was a teenager, I signed for AS Nouadhibou, who are one of the best teams in Mauritania. But I was playing with 16 year olds when I was 13 and so on, always with older boys. Sometimes, when we were playing in competitions and the coaches knew there would be scouts from other teams, they would leave me on the bench unless they needed me to score a goal. They tried to hide me!”

“Presumably that didn’t work forever though?”

“No, it didn’t. For this next part, you have to understand that Mauritania has no football reputation. In countries like Nigeria, Ghana, Côte D’Ivoire, every youth tournament has scouts from England, France, Spain, Germany - they are all looking for the next star. European teams have partner clubs locally, and have a presence. But not in Mauritania.

“So when I was 16, Nouadhibou took me to an under-20 tournament for the city. I played up front, and scored the most goals even though we lost in the final. There was a white man at the tournament - understand, very unusual - and he spent a lot of time with his translator speaking with my coach afterwards.

“The next day, they came to our home in Nouakchott. They spoke with my father for maybe two hours, then asked to see me. They told me his name was Alex, and he was working with a football club in Russia - in Moscow even - and they wanted me to play for them. He had a contract ready, I could fly two days later. It was a really strange moment - I didn’t want to leave my family, but to play football in Europe meant I could really help them. I cried with my family, packed my things, and went with Alex to the airport.”

“But you never went to Moscow?”

“I went to Moscow, but only to the airport. When we landed, he spoke with another man. They told me the Moscow team had arranged a loan for me to help me learn Russian and get used to the country. They told me someone would be waiting at the airport for me, and to get on a certain plane - but they did not come with me. I was only 16 and in a strange country, with no-one to help me and only a small bag of belongings. So I did as I was told.”

“And that’s how you found yourself in Kyrgyzstan.”

“That’s right. It took me some time to work out what had happened, but ‘Alex’ and his translator weren’t working for any Russian club, and there was no loan. My contract was with Dordoi, ‘Alex’ was taking more than half my salary, and I was thousands of miles from home aged 16. I was trafficked to Bishkek.”

“Did the club do anything when you told them?”

“Not really. They had sympathy - I don’t think they realised who ‘Alex’ was, and don’t think they worked with him again - but legally I was their player, and they couldn’t just put me on a flight back home.”

“So you decided to stay?”

“I suppose so, but at the time it wasn’t a choice. I had no money, I didn’t speak the language, no house other than the club lodging. I was lucky that Dordoi had two Ghanaian players - Joel Kojo and David Tetteh, who was also a coach - they helped me settle. They couldn’t speak Arabic, but they taught me English and helped me with Russian classes, and I even moved in with David and his family. He basically adopted me.”

“It sounds like you were a very resilient young man, Brahim.”

“Maybe, but I just tried to do my best in the situation. I was very lucky that I was good enough to play, and even luckier that Joel and David were there too. Of all the people I have met in football, they are among the best. We still talk sometimes.”

“And this experience is the reason you set up the Brahim Kamara Foundation?”

“That’s right. Unfortunately there are a lot of ‘agents’ who promise teenagers - just children, remember - and their families a dream of a contract in Europe, and then abandon them in a foreign country with no money, no language, no club. I was lucky for Joel and David, and lucky that there was at least a contract at Dordoi. For a lot of these kids, the result is a lot worse. My Foundation is working with FIFA and with governments in Africa to try and stop this happening.”

“That’s certainly something we can all get behind, and viewers at home can see details of the Brahim Kamara Foundation on their screens now. We’re going to take a short break, and when we’re back we’ll be continuing Brahim’s story, and hearing how he made it from the victim of trafficking in Central Asia to a global footballing sensation.”
--

Welcome to another EvilDave story - I had the idea for this a while ago, but needed to a) figure out how I was going to use the in-game editor and b) run the save for long enough to get it to work. This will be short-ish, but probably a bit too long to be classed as a short story. Anyway, enough pre-amble, please enjoy!

Edited by EvilDave

• EvilDave changed the title to Desert Treasure - One Evening with a Smuggled Superstar

Thank you Neil - Kyrgyzstan misses you too! Glad to have you along for the ride.
-- 

“Welcome back to Global Sports Showcase, and tonight’s extended episode featuring none other than Brahim Kamara. Before the break we heard the shocking story of how the future Ballon D’or winner was trafficked into Kyrgyzstan aged just 16 by a rogue agent, and was helped by the kindness of team-mates. Brahim, how was it settling into the team given everything that happened?”

“It was very hard, of course. I was having Russian lessons but couldn’t really communicate, and I was so young. All I could do was work hard and hope to get a chance in the first team.”

“How long did it take to get that opportunity?”

“About a year. I wasn’t allowed to play until I was 17, so I could only register with the second team at first. But I scored a lot of goals for them, and a couple of months after my 17th birthday, when the team was struggling and two strikers were injured, I got my chance.”

“Can you remember how it felt, making your debut as a professional in such strange circumstances?”

“I can still picture it, of course. We were away in Osh, in the south of the country, and we were not a popular team there. They were top of the league I think and enjoying our bad season, and they scored early. But near the end of the game we broke away on a counter attack, and I managed to score an easy goal from six yards to equalise. Their fans were so angry, but for me it was perfect. I still have my shirt from that day!”

“That goal was a sign of things to come too, wasn’t it? You played 17 times that season and scored 12, which is a brilliant return for anyone, let alone a teenager. What is the standard of football like in Kyrgyzstan?”

“It’s hard to say how much one country is better or worse than another, but Kyrgyzstan is only a small country and there is not a lot of football investment. In every team there are players with really strong technical skills, or great athletes, players who understand the game or who have the most professional attitude. But not so many had more than one of those, and I tried to train in all those areas and take advantage.”

“Well it obviously paid off for you - you made the starting role your own, and next season had nine goals after 10 games. What happened next?”

“I left the club, and the country. It was all very quick.”

“What made you leave?”

“I had some communication from ‘Alex,’ who was the so-called agent that sent me to Dordoi in the first place. He accused me of not honouring our contract, of not sending him enough money, and said he would get me banned from playing.”

“Did he?”

“No, and I’m sure it was rubbish. Remember, he was taking more of my salary than I was, and I had no control over it! Looking back I’m sure he had no power at all, but was trying to scare a young boy and get more control.”

“And this time it backfired on him?”

“Well, he managed to scare me - I was terrified he was going to take my football away. But when you score so many goals at a young age, even in Kyrgyzstan, people become interested. I explained the situation to David Tetteh, and he had faith in me. He knew there had been scouts watching my games, and I think convinced the club to sell me.”

“Why would Dordoi sell their best young player so soon?”

“David had a very clever argument. First, in Kyrgyzstan you can only have five foreign players, so I was taking a space from someone who could speak Russian and was a better fit for the team. Second, if I kept scoring the team would be overly dependent on me. And third, he told them I would certainly ask for a new contract, and they would need to pay me more money. I wouldn’t have dared make any demands, but they believed him!”

“So you left after two years. But you didn’t move too far away.”

“It was still nearly 500 miles! At 18 years old, moving to another country with another language still felt like a long way. But the new team did a lot to make me welcome.”

“Talk us through the transfer - where did you go? What happened?”

“Dordoi got a record fee for me - not a lot of money by European standards, but a lot for them. And I moved to Pakhtakor, who were the champions of Uzbekistan and one of the country’s best teams. They had lost their main striker to a Russian club, and wanted me to take his place straight away. So they made a lot of effort to help me fit in.”

“What did they do?”

“For example, I told them about ‘Alex’ and my situation. Before I even signed a contract, they had one of their staff take me to the bank and open my own account, so he would never be able to access my salary. They helped me cut him off, and I didn’t hear from him while I was there.”

“How did you cope with the language barrier? Did you have someone like David Tetteh in Tashkent?”

“Not in the same way, but the club was more used to it. The team was more diverse - we had players from Brazil, Iran, Turkey - and the Russian I had learnt at Dordoi was useful for basic communication. All of the foreigners had Uzbek classes at the club, and the coaches did a good job of making sure we weren’t left out. The club had a lot more resources than any team in Kyrgyzstan, so they could be more professional. It made a big difference.”

“Was the football better too?”

“Yes, I think so. I was actually injured in my first game - a defender stepped on my ankle and it twisted - but when I came back it took me one or two matches to get used to the pace. But then I scored my first goal, and it felt natural to me.”

“The numbers would agree with you, Brahim - four in nine in that first half-season, then 21 in 26 the following year to win the Golden Boot, with the league title both times. What did it feel like to win your first trophy?”

“The first time, it didn’t feel real. Not because it was so special, but because I didn’t feel I had helped. I had been there only half the year, been injured, only scored four goals, so it felt like I was in someone else’s celebration. But the next season, when I had the Golden Boot and we defended the title - it was a feeling I wanted to have all the time. When the fireworks go off and the crowd is singing for you, shouting your name, it’s amazing. You want to relive it over and over, and it makes you better because you know the reward.”

“You got your first taste of continental football at Pakhtakor too, what was it like to play in the Asian Champions League?”

“It was a big challenge, because Uzbekistan was not one of the stronger countries in Asia. Even in the groups with China, Japan, Korea in the other half of the draw, we had to play some very strong teams from the Middle East. It was a big success for the team to get through the group, but we were knocked out in the next round by a big team from Saudi Arabia, I think. I learned a lot by playing against those defenders though.”

“What sort of things did you learn?”

“How to beat someone who will not lose concentration. In Kyrgyzstan for example, I scored a lot of goals near the end of games, because defenders would get tired and make mistakes. But when a defender is 100% focused you cannot just rely on your fitness and speed, so you have to make more intelligent movement and try to trick him. You have to be better to beat them.”

“It certainly seemed to work the following season. Do you remember the first games of 2025?”

“Was that the hat-tricks?”

“That’s right!”

“On the first day of the season, we had a promoted team at home. I scored a penalty really early, and they collapsed. We won 7-0, and I scored a hat-trick in the first half. The next week we went away to Bunyodkor, our historic rivals. But they were in a bad moment, and we won 4-1. I scored three again, and their fans abused me all through the game.”

“Racist abuse?”

“They were charged with racism, but nothing happened - sadly, it never did in Uzbekistan. I couldn’t always tell from the pitch, but I know they didn’t enjoy a black African scoring against their team.”

“So by the halfway point of that season you had 16 goals in just 13 games, an amazing record. But then the summer came, and everything changed again.”

“Yes, it was a crazy summer. I was about to turn 20, had been in Tashkent for two years and was beginning to feel settled. I could speak quite well in Uzbek and Russian, had friends in the team, and was scoring goals every game. I knew I wouldn’t stay forever, but I didn’t know who had been watching me.”

“When you score more than a goal a game, you’re bound to attract attention.”

“I should have known at the time, but yes. I didn’t have an agent after the situation with ‘Alex,’ but that summer I wished I had someone to help. The club was really helpful. But it was still hard.”

“We’ll hear all about the summer of 2025 after the break, and find out how Brahim took possibly the most important step in his footballing journey so far. See you in a few minutes.”

“Welcome back to a special edition of Global Sports Showcase, which this week focuses on the career of the great Brahim Kamara. Before the break we heard of his goalscoring exploits in Uzbekistan and his first career trophies, which drew a great deal of attention from other teams. Brahim, do you know how many offers Pakhtakor received for you that summer?”

“The number of offers I don’t know, only the ones that got accepted. There were five teams that met my price in the end.”

“It’s worth saying that the price was €5m, which more than doubled the previous record for a player in the Uzbek league. So, how did you decide where to go?”

“It was hard and easy at the same time. I had offers from Al Sadd in Qatar, Shandong in China, Zamalek in Egypt, Krasnodar in Russia, and Fenerbahce in Turkey. All of them sent somebody to talk to me and try and convince me, but when I knew about the last two, I knew I wanted to challenge myself in Europe.”

“Was it hard to turn down a move back to Africa?”

“Of course! None was easy to say no to. Zamalek is a huge team in Africa and would have been closer to home, and Al Sadd and Shandong both offered a lot of money to go and play for them - more than the European teams. Both leagues were stronger than Uzbekistan, so it would have been a challenge there too.”

“But you insisted on Europe?”

“Yes - I think Pakhtakor were a bit annoyed because Al Sadd made the highest offer, but when I knew there was a chance to go to a strong team in Europe, I knew I had to go there. The best players in the world are in Europe, the football culture is so strong, and the Champions League is where you dream of playing. So I had to turn down the others.”

“That leaves Krasnodar and Fenerbahce then, so how did you make that decision?”

“I nearly went to Krasnodar, because it would have been easier. I’d spent four years learning Russian, the culture would have been closer to Uzbekistan. But Russia was only just coming back into the world after the war in Ukraine, and wasn’t trusted yet. I was also wary of ‘Alex’ and people like him too - I don’t even know if he was Russian, but he didn’t give a good first impression.”

“So that left Fenerbahce.”

“Yes, and they had many positives. A famous team, passionate fans in a great city, fighting for championships. Turkish culture has some things in common with Uzbek and North African cultures, and I was confident I would be able to learn the language. And apart from Zamalek, it was the closest to home.”

“Did that play a big part in your decision?”

“Of course - family is very important to me. This was the first moment I earned enough money to send a lot home, and I even bought a house in Istanbul for them to stay in. I told my parents it was their house if they wanted it, but they preferred to stay in Nouakchott at the time because of my mother’s health. They could visit though, my brothers and sisters too, and I was happier as a result.”

“Did you ever go back to Mauritania?”

“Not until I’d moved to Istanbul, but then yes, whenever there was a break. At this time not many people knew who I was, so it was easy to fly home, but it got more and more difficult over time.”

“As you became more famous?”

“Because more people recognised me, and later because of the argument with the national team. I didn’t want people to bother my family for money, or have to take security to my own parents’ house. So we made other plans later on.”

“We’ll talk about your international career shortly, but let’s begin with life at Fenerbahce. You were in the first team right from the beginning, did you feel any pressure at such a big team?”

“Of course - I was 20 years old at a huge club, I felt a lot of pressure. I struggled in my first games because the coach put me on the left, and that wasn’t my natural position. I had always been the central striker, and it was hard to learn a new position in a harder league.”

“But you got your breakthrough in the end, and in some style.”

“Yes! After five or six games, our winger recovered from his injury and the coach put me in the middle. We had a derby match at Galatasaray, an amazing atmosphere, and in the last minute I headed the goal to make it 2-2. Next game was Besiktas at home, and I scored both goals in a 2-0 win. I think I was a fan favourite after that!”

“That season was the first time you started some games from the bench, how was it to be watching on from the touchline?”

“It was hard because I always want to play, but I understood. I had an injury in the winter and the team played well without me, so the coach played me from the bench - to protect my injury and keep a winning team. I still scored some goals though, so I was happy I could contribute.”

“That contribution was enough to earn Fenerbahce qualification for the Champions League the next season, how did it feel to be playing in the competition?”

“We were all disappointed not to win the league, because that is always the aim at a club like Fener, but the Champions League is incredible. It was hard for us - the Turkish league is not the strongest - but to play in the famous stadiums and to have such an amazing atmosphere in Istanbul, it was incredible.”

“And you’re the first and only player from Mauritania to score in the competition, so you didn’t struggle too hard personally.”

“We lost 4-1, but to score at the Bernabeu - what a moment! I still dream of that goal sometimes, dribbling past two players and then shooting past Courtois, I couldn’t believe it. I scored two more that year against Salzburg, but the goal at the Bernabeu was unbelievable for sure.”

“Was that the moment people started to know who you were as a footballer?”

“I think so. In Turkey people knew me, and of course back home, but the goal was on television and online many, many times, so people learned my name. I think it started the national team situation too.”

“OK, let’s talk about that. Despite being one of the greatest footballers of all time, you only played 23 times for Mauritania and retired in your early 20s after one Cup of Nations - what happened?”

“It’s something I’m very sad about - I would have loved to go to a World Cup with Mauritania, or win the Cup of Nations. But the FA at home didn’t want to win football matches, just to have a star.”

“Could you explain what happened?”

“The goal in Madrid meant they saw me for the first time, so I was called up to the next squad - I’d never been in a youth team, nobody was in contact in Uzbekistan. Straight away they wanted me to do all sorts of media work, sponsor work, to be the face of Mauritania. Then when we lost to Nigeria, it was my fault. It wasn’t right.”

“Did you speak to anybody about it before retiring?”

“Yes, many times. The FA actually tried to overrule the coach and make me captain for my first game, but I refused. I am always happy to lead by example, but I was still only 21 and learning - the team needed a captain with experience, not just a big name. But every time I was told to think of the opportunities, think of the possibilities.”

“When did you decide you couldn’t go any further?”

“After the Cup of Nations in Ghana. We’d qualified for only the second time in history, but then only got one point in the group stage against Guinea - Algeria and the hosts were too strong. I scored both the team’s goals, but the FA were so critical. I was accused of not being interested, of only caring about the money, of letting the country down. They briefed the media against me too, so I was the scapegoat. I decided I didn’t have to deal with it anymore.”

“What was the reaction?”

“The officials couldn’t believe I was walking away - I was cursed at, called all sorts of names. But I think the media realised something wasn’t right for me to leave my country, and they started asking questions. I think a lot of people in Mauritania supported me when they looked at the bigger picture.”

“That Cup of Nations came after a brilliant season at club level - 22 goals and a Golden Boot, and a league and cup double for Fenerbahce. When you went to play in Ghana, did you know how much interest you’d generated?”

“A little, but I had my agent at this point so he was dealing with everything. There was no distraction for me - I told him I wasn’t making a decision until after the tournament. I didn’t have the full picture until I was back in Istanbul.”

“Well, we’re going to take a short break now, and when we come back we’ll hear all about that hectic summer - when Brahim made another move and faced one of the biggest decisions of his career so far.”

“Welcome back to a special edition of Global Sports Showcase, with the remarkable Brahim Kamara. In the last section we heard about his time in Turkey and his sadly short-lived international career with Mauritania, and had reached the summer of 2027. Brahim, you had another choice ahead of you - how did having an agent make a difference?”

“It took a lot of the pressure off me, definitely - when you have someone else to present the facts and deal with the communication, you can see things with less emotion. Even though it was a bigger transfer, it was easier for me than choosing Fenerbahce two years earlier.”

“You moved for your release fee, which was €23m. Did the fact that all the clubs bid the same amount make it any harder?”

“A little bit because it’s harder to see where you are valued, but not really. The fee is only a small part of a deal like that - there is a lot to take into account.”

“So talk us through the decision - how did you and your agent reach a conclusion?”

“All of the clubs were good options, so it wasn’t easy - Dortmund, Leipzig, Sevilla, Monaco - all of them were in Europe, challenging for trophies, but in leagues with giant teams ahead of them. All of them have a great track record with young players as well, which was important for me to think about.”

“So how did you narrow it down?”

“Part of it was practical. Dortmund had Moukoko as their main striker, and I didn’t want to go and sit on the bench. I was confident I could replace him, but I wanted to play straight away, so I had to say no to them. Sevilla were changing their manager, and I wasn’t going to commit to a club that didn’t know how they wanted to play.”

“So it was Leipzig or Monaco. How did you choose?”

“This is where I got emotional! When I was a young boy, my first football heroes were the African forwards - Eto’o and Drogba, Salah and Mane. But when I started to watch videos on the internet, I fell in love with Thierry Henry. He was such a wonderful player, so much grace and power. So to go to the club that made him, that made Mbappe, that made George Weah - the history and the reputation was really attractive. So I said no to Leipzig and went to the French league.”

“So it was a case of following in the footsteps of your heroes?”

“It was definitely a part, but not the only part. It was clear I’d be the starting striker, the system was similar to the one I’d worked in at Fenerbahce, and again it was a bit closer to home than Leipzig. So Monaco had a lot in their favour.”

“Was it your intention only to stay for a year?”

“Not at all! I couldn’t have predicted that. But it was still the right move, and I’m glad I went for a lot of reasons.”

“Not least of all because it’s where you met your wife, I assume?”

“That’s what I meant! I met Sabiya at an event with Peace and Sport, one of Monaco’s main charity partners, not long after I joined the club. I was only 22, but we were engaged before the season ended - I wanted to make sure she’d come with me if I moved again!”

“Well we’re all glad it worked out, and it’s great to have your family with us here tonight. They can be very proud I’m sure. Brahim, tell us about that season in Monaco.”

“I think this was the season that made me. That sounds big, but it felt special - I was a young man, coming from Turkey with a good reputation but no record in a bigger league, asked to score goals for a team like Monaco. No-one expected us to get close to PSG that season, but we nearly did it.”

“You certainly pushed them hard - 94 points is still a record for a runner-up in Ligue 1, and you were Monaco’s top scorer in the league. Did Europe make up for the disappointment of missing out on the title?”

“We were proud of how well we’d done, not disappointed. Nobody thought we could be champions, and we were never ahead - we just kept winning games and asking PSG to do the same, which they did. We were proud, but they deserve a lot of credit for that season.”

“And the European campaign?”

“It was so special. A lot of people dismiss the Europa League, but when you are in it, it is very important. When we beat Tottenham in the knockout stage, I think we realised we could do it, and every game we played like lions. It was a brilliant run, and to win the final in Paris as well was extra special.”

“It was quite the run - Sampdoria in the last 16, Tottenham in the quarter final, Benfica in the semis and then Real Sociedad in Paris. You made quite the impact in the final, didn’t you?”

“We won 2-0, and I scored both goals. The first was a simple goal, tapping in a low cross into the box. And then I got fouled and scored a free kick, one of my favourite goals.”

“It was a special goal, 30 yards out and into the top corner. What makes it so special to you?”

“I think it is my best free kick, and I like the challenge of a set piece. But also scoring such a special goal in such a big game, in a big stadium, to win the match - everything about it was perfect. It’s a great memory.”

“So you were still yet to turn 23, had fired Monaco to a European trophy and almost won the French title, and were newly engaged. It seems like life was pretty perfect for you in Monaco?”

“I was very happy, of course, very happy - with the club, with my football, with my life. But I also knew how Monaco work as a club, and so I expected that after a good year, I might have to go.”

“Did they tell you to accept a move, or did you ask to go?”

“I didn’t ask, but I wasn’t forced. Monaco works by developing young players, selling them for big fees, and starting again - they are always growing stars. But they have to sell to keep going, and when they knew I had interest, they were always going to get the biggest price.”

“Unless it was from PSG.”

“I think they decided that because we had been so close, they weren’t going to sell to Paris unless it was crazy money. It makes sense - it would have been hard for me to go there too. But when the bid came in from Newcastle, it was obvious the club were ready to negotiate.”

“So after one spectacular season with Monaco, Brahim found himself on the move once again. Join us after the break to find out more about his Premier League adventure, and the surprise intervention that almost scuppered the whole deal.”

“Welcome back to this special edition of Global Sports Showcase, an extended interview and reflection on the career of Brahim Kamara. Last we heard, Brahim was on the verge of a big money move to Newcastle, but it very nearly didn’t happen. Brahim, can you tell us what happened?”

“I don’t know how he found out, or what made him think he had any rights, but ‘Alex’ - the man who trafficked me to Asia - appeared from nowhere and said I’d cheated him out of money. He said he had a contract saying he was my agent and was owed a cut of my wages and transfer fees, and that I hadn’t paid him anything in years. That last part was true, but that's because the rest was nonsense.”

“Did he start legal proceedings?”

“He threatened to, but it was clear he knew nothing. When Monaco saw the letter he sent, they passed it to the French FA, to FIFA and to the police. He was arrested soon after, and I think is still in prison for trafficking. Sadly, I wasn’t his only victim.”

“Why do you think he went public?”

“I think he got greedy. For most children - they are still children - that get trafficked to Central Asia, someone like Alex will get a flat fee, and the money from football is nothing. I think he saw me being successful, realised I had got away, and tried to get his hands on some quick money. I don’t think he realised how stupid he’d look.”

“Were you ever worried something would happen to you?”

“Not to me. I was lucky - I was high profile, had a big football club wanting to protect their asset, and a fiancee working as a human rights lawyer! But I realised that other people might not be so lucky - if someone is always around you, making demands and claiming your rights, sometimes it is easier to give in than fight for yourself. That’s something the Foundation hopes to do - fight for them, and win justice.”

“It’s great work to be involved in, that’s for certain. How long did Alex hold up the move?”

“It took another week. Newcastle wanted evidence everything was baseless before finishing the deal, which I understand. If Alex was telling the truth, I could have had a long legal case and not been able to play. But the authorities saw through his claim, and believed my story. It isn’t always so simple though, so I’m very lucky.”

“So you make it to Newcastle. At £72m you’re their second most expensive player ever behind Kvaratskhelia, who is now your team-mate, the first Mauritanian to play in the Premier League, one of the highest profile African players. How did you cope with the pressure and expectation? You’re still only 23 at this point after all.”

“I think being young helped me! I had moved many times already, and every time it had been a bit quicker to settle in. This time, Sabiya came with me, so I was not on my own. I already knew some English from other countries, so I wasn’t starting from nothing. And I was more confident in my skills - in Uzbekistan and in Turkey, I was maybe worried about whether I was good enough. After the year in Monaco, I knew I was ready for the Premier League.”

“Did that confidence drain at all after the first few games?”

“No. Newcastle fans worship their number nines - they still want them all to be Shearer - and I always had complete support. I wasn’t perfect in my first games, but when I scored my first goal against Aston Villa, I knew it would be OK. I loved the fans at St James’ Park, they were so loyal and passionate.”

“Your first season there was a real rollercoaster - securing Champions League football, losing late in Europe but then finishing on a high. What was it like for you in the middle of it?”

“Reaching the Champions League was really important - Newcastle needed to be there, but England is so strong. Manchester City were unstoppable, and then we were fighting with Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham at times. To get into third place was a really big fight.”

“Did you have any regrets about the way your European run ended?”

“I still don’t think it was a yellow card! We got a hard draw in the Europa League, against Juventus in the quarter finals, and the referee booked me at the end of the first leg so I missed the second. We had drawn 1-1 at home, but lost in Italy. I still don’t think it was a foul, definitely not a yellow.”

“But you came back to finish the year with a flourish.”

“It was one of my most special days. Newcastle were a big team again, but had only won the League Cup with the new owners. We knocked City out of the FA Cup and played Liverpool in the final, and Kvara gave me a perfect pass in extra time. I shot into the top corner, and it felt like the whole city exploded. I think they had waited more than 70 years, it was crazy. Everybody celebrated, we were heroes. It felt amazing.”

“A lot of players in the past have talked about the passion of the Newcastle fans, and that goal made you an instant hero on Tyneside. Have you been back since you left the club, and how are you treated?”

“Of course, I’ve been to Newcastle several times. It’s an amazing club, a place that never leaves you. I think because of what happened there I’ll always feel welcome, and everyone is always happy to see an old player come back. Even playing for a different team, the fans sang my song - there aren’t many places where that happens.”

“In your second season you didn’t end up with a trophy, but you got really close. How did it feel to push City to the wire?”

“For me, it was a lot like Monaco. When I was there, we pushed and pushed but PSG was just too strong, and broke the league record. At Newcastle, we pushed and pushed but City were amazing that year, so to be only four points behind was something to be proud of. But it was hard, because in any other year we are champions.”

“Did going out of the Champions League early help you, do you think?”

“Maybe because we had more rest, but no team wants to be knocked out in the first knockout game. But Milan played two very good games, and they deserved to win. It was a tough fight, and they were better.”

“Even though you didn’t win anything that season, the club did sign Johannes Kunkel in January, who would be an important part of the team. What was he like when he arrived?”

“Johannes is an amazing player, but also such a great guy. Very humble, very intelligent, very funny. We got on straight away, and with Kvara we had a really good understanding very quickly. He made us a better team, and I don’t know why Bayern sold him.”

“The three of you were known as ‘Special K’ by the fans - did that ever put more pressure on you?”

“No, it was an honour - we all got another song! We were also pleased they didn’t go for ‘KKK’ for obvious reasons. To have a group nickname you have to work well together, so it was good to have earned that from the fans - Kvara on the left, Kunkel on the right and me in the middle, we made a good team.”

“You certainly did, as we’ll find out after the break. Stay tuned to Global Sports Showcase, where we’ll continue exploring the life of the legendary Brahim Kamara, and hear how one more year on Tyneside led to the final move of his career.”

“Welcome back to Global Sports Showcase and an extended episode with the brilliant Brahim Kamara. Before the break we relived his FA Cup Final winner, a record-breaking second-place season, and the arrival of the third part of the famous Special K frontline in Johannes Kunkel. But Brahim’s third season with the Magpies was an historic one - how did it all start?”

“For me it was a bit slow, because I was injured in the last game of the season before. But the team was great - we won at Arsenal on the first day, then Johannes got a late winner against City at home. The early advantage felt really important. Then I think it was 3-0 against Derby, even though I played badly.”

“But it didn’t take you long to get up and running, did it? You went to Leicester next and put on quite the show.”

“It felt good to be back! The first goal was a kind rebound, but it gave me confidence, and to score a hat-trick is always special. I got two against West Ham in the next game, and then three more against Norwich. Everything was going well for us.”

“That’s a bit of an understatement, Brahim - at Christmas you were still unbeaten, had a seven point lead over City and Arsenal, and you had 18 goals in the league. When did you think you could win the title?”

“We always thought we could win it. We knew from the year before that we were good enough, and City had an amazing year. We had to keep our level, and once we were in front, all the pressure was on them.”

“There was a bit of a wobble in the New Year wasn’t there - out of the FA Cup at Chelsea, defeat to Liverpool and dropped points at Palace in the league - was there ever a panic in the dressing room?”

“Nobody likes to lose, so of course there is a bad feeling, but you can’t let it change your play. We didn’t turn into a bad team, and were still playing well, so we had to trust the coach and the plan. It was a relief when we won again though - it’s a habit you want to be in.”

“In March, you had an amazing run of three games in a row with Manchester City - two in the Champions League quarter final and another in the league. Did they feel as important to the team as they did to everyone else?”

“Of course, definitely. We all know that every game is worth the same amount of points, but when it’s your closest rival it does mean more. And of course in the Champions League, only one team can stay in. It was a crazy time.”

“All three games ended in draws - what was the feeling after that?”

“Mainly we were relieved it was over! In the league, we were away and a draw meant we kept the gap, so it felt like a good result, especially after they scored first. But of course we were disappointed to lose on penalties in the Champions League, it’s the cruellest way. We felt like we’d played well enough to go through, but football is not always fair. We promised each other at that point to win the title.”

“You were four points ahead at that point, and then City lost at Tottenham. Did that feel like the moment?”

“There are lots of moments in a season, so you can’t say one is more important than the other. But in the moment itself, definitely. To be seven ahead so late in the year, playing well - it gave us a lot of confidence.”

“And you were in great form personally - you scored your 30th league goal with a penalty against Everton. How did you score so many that year?”

“It is always a team game. Of course I train hard to improve, to be better and to be consistent. But when you have world class players on your team, making chances and giving perfect passes, you have more chances to score. Other players were scoring too, so I didn’t feel like I had to do everything. I could play with freedom.”

“Soon after, City dropped points again between the two legs of their European semi final, which meant you only needed one more win. What do you remember about that game against Fulham?”

“Everything! It was one of my most special days in football. It felt like everybody in Newcastle was at the stadium, or on the streets outside. We were creating history for them, and there was so much excitement. People had fireworks on the street, the singing was incredible, it was my best atmosphere in England for certain. Nobody needed to say anything before the match, we all knew what we had to do.”

“Do you think the expectation made the team nervous? It went very quiet when Fulham scored early.”

“It went quiet, but then got twice as loud! The fans were amazing that day. It was only a few minutes before Johannes equalised, and then I knew we were going to win. He crossed for me for 2-1, and then Kvara scored a free kick near the end. Some people got on the pitch even though there was still time left - it was a party in the crowd.”

“Newcastle’s first title for more than 100 years, beating what had been a dominant Manchester City team. When did you realise how big that was for the club and the city?”

“I think at the trophy parade on the bus. It was incredible - I think there were more people there than live in Newcastle, it took us so long to get back to the stadium. There were people crying, singing, everything. It was such an amazing feeling, almost like we were being worshipped. It was humbling to see the joy we could bring to the city.”

“Did you know at the time that was going to be your last time in front of the fans?”

“No, not at all. My agent told me that teams were looking at me, but I wasn’t going to talk about anything while we were still fighting for the title. Also, I didn’t think Newcastle would want to sell, so I didn’t think about it.”

“Well, every man has his price, and after the break we’ll find out what that price was for Brahim. Join us after the break on Global Sports Showcase, and we’ll hear about that record-breaking move from the man himself.”

“Welcome back to Global Sports Showcase, with none other than the legendary Brahim Kamara. In the last segment we celebrated with Newcastle as Brahim’s goals fired them to an historic league title, but that was to be the end of his time on Tyneside. How hard was the decision to leave?”

“So hard, I think the most difficult of my career. I had a connection with the fans in Newcastle like I’d never had before, and we were such a good team. Three years was my longest time at a club, England felt like home. It was really hard to leave.”

“So what convinced you to go?”

“There were lots of things. First, I always want to challenge myself, and to go to a new football culture and a huge club like Barcelona was an amazing opportunity. Second, they really wanted me - I think they made seven or eight offers, spent a lot of time negotiating - and I appreciated that. Third, Barcelona is a beautiful city and an amazing place to live, and also Sabiya liked that we would be closer to her parents in the south of France. We were expecting our first child, Djamel, and wanted family to be nearby.”

“Which of those was the most important for you - football or family?”

“I don’t think one was more important than the other. We were really happy in Newcastle and not thinking about a change for any reason, but sometimes life gives you opportunities and you don’t know if they will come back again. Barcelona was one of those, an amazing team in an amazing place, and we both decided it was something we had to do.”

“When Barcelona made their first bid, Newcastle were very clear that they did not want to let you go - did you speak to anyone at the club about wanting to move?”

“Communication with the club was great. They told me about the offer and that they didn’t want to lose me, and I told them if they said no to offers, I was happy to stay. I meant it - we were really happy. There were some rumours that I refused to train, that we sold our house, but none of it is true. It was the summer, so there was no training for me to do! We only sold the house in Newcastle after we settled in Catalonia, it was all very respectful from both sides.”

“You mentioned earlier that Barcelona made several offers before having a bid accepted, and some people said they lacked respect by bidding again and again after Newcastle said no. What did you think of it?”

“I was surprised they wanted me so badly! But I think in football it is always a negotiation, and sometimes it takes longer than others. A club selling wants the highest price, a team buying wants the lowest, this is normal. Sometimes a team buys someone else instead, sometimes they pay a lot of money. For me, Barcelona chose to pay a lot of money.”

“They did, a record for a Premier League player, an African footballer, and a Barcelona record too, €160m. Were you surprised by the fee?”

“Of course! It is an amazing amount of money, and nobody thinks someone will pay that much for them. But Newcastle didn’t want to sell, and Barcelona had lost Ansu Fati to Manchester City after many years, so they needed to replace him. Everybody knew they had money to spend.”

“Did the price give you any extra pressure? From the fans, from other players or even yourself? The club’s other record signings had seen mixed results in the past.”

“From the Barca fans, no - I always felt like they wanted me to succeed. Maybe fans of other clubs had different expectations, but I never felt it at Camp Nou. Same with the players, from day one I was made to feel welcome, like a brother in the changing room. And my own pressure is always the same, whether I was with Dordoi or Barca, to be the best I could be. That never changed.”

“You were given a special announcement at Camp Nou when the transfer was complete, how was that moment for you?”

“It was a little bit crazy really - I had never seen anything like this at my old clubs. But to be in the middle of the pitch with thousands of fans wanting to see me for the first time, just to hold the shirt up and kick a ball a few times, it was strange in a good way. You can see how big the club is when so many people come to something like this.”

“How did you find living in Barcelona after Newcastle? Obviously they are two very different cities, and within a couple of months of moving you had a child as well.”

“Yes, Djamel was the biggest difference of course. Until then, everything had been first for me, and later for Sabiya as well. But to have a little boy, a child who needs you for everything, it completely changes you. It is a difficult thing, but a beautiful thing. As for the two cities, we loved both of them, but of course the weather in Barcelona is much warmer, Mediterranean life is a little slower than in England. But as a footballer you are very privileged - if you have a problem, the club will solve it. You don’t have a lot of the worries of people in the crowd. We are very lucky.”

“We haven’t got time to talk about every season at Barcelona, otherwise we’d be here all day, but we can talk about some special moments. What do you remember about your debut?”

“I remember we were at home to Almeria, and I was on the bench. That was strange for me - it had been a long time since I hadn’t started - but the coach wanted me to feel the atmosphere before I played. We were winning 3-0 when I came on, and five minutes later I scored. Pedri put a pass between defenders, and I chipped the ball over the goalkeeper. The noise was incredible, it was an amazing welcome to Barcelona. I scored a penalty in injury time as well, and we won 5-1. It was perfect.”

“Despite Barca breaking La Liga’s modern goalscoring record, you actually didn't win the league that season, with Real Madrid winning by one point. But you did get your hands on the Champions League, beating PSG in the final at Wembley. How did it feel to win the biggest trophy in club football?”

“Incredible, it was an amazing sensation. It was great to be back in England so soon, and especially in the final. We had played a good game in the semi to beat Arsenal so we were confident, and it was our last chance to win a trophy in the season. Rodrigo Robles scored in the first half, and that was enough. To lift the trophy, the most important trophy, after just one year, was so good. It felt like finally we could say we were the best, like we were winners.”

“You went on to win the Champions League three more times in your 10 years at Barcelona - once more at Wembley, at the Santiago Bernabeu, and in Istanbul. Do you have a favourite final from the four?”

“All of them are special - every final is an incredible feeling - and I was lucky to have a connection with every final. Wembley I knew from Newcastle, Istanbul from when I played with Fenerbahce, and of course to win at our rivals’ stadium was very special. I think that might be my favourite - we won the league that year, and then I scored both goals against Bayern in the final in Madrid. The first goal in that game is one of my favourites - I managed to hit my volley into the top corner with my weaker foot, which I had been training hard to improve. It was a perfect shot, I was so happy.”

“So there were four Champions League titles, but also six Copa del Rey trophies as well. Did the team take the competition as seriously as the others do you think?”

“Well we won six times, so I think so! I had three coaches at Barcelona - Iniesta for the first six years, Arteta for two and then Puyol, and nobody told us the cup didn’t matter. Even when we didn’t win, we were in the last rounds, we always wanted the trophy. Sometimes different players played in the first rounds, but nobody was trying to lose. We wanted to win every game we played.”

“And unlike most teams, your Barcelona were actually able to do that most of the time. Four European crowns, six Spanish cups, and when we come back after the break we’ll talk about Brahim’s incredible contribution to a run of seven titles in 10 years, one of the most dominant spells in club football. Don’t go anywhere, and we’ll see you after the break.”

“Welcome back to Global Sports Showcase and tonight’s special episode with Brahim Kamara. Before the break we heard about his arrival at Barcelona and the Champions League exploits of his all-conquering team, and now we turn our attention to his seven La Liga titles. Brahim, did you realise how special your team was as you kept winning?”

“We knew we were playing well, of course. But no team can sit down and tell themselves how great they are, pride is very dangerous in football and people get complacent. We knew we needed to work hard to stay in front of Real, Atletico, sometimes Sevilla and Valencia too. But we enjoyed training and playing together. When you are winning there is usually harmony and stability, and that helps. Every year the squad changes only a little so you don’t have to change style, the fans are happy and that helps too - it was a special team to play for, but we didn’t think about how good we were.”

“The style you played, particularly under Andres Iniesta, seemed to particularly suit your strengths, and you were the top scorer in the league six times in your 10 seasons. What was it about the team that allowed you to score so many goals?”

“When you play for a team like Barcelona, you have a lot of the ball and teams often defend deep. So as a striker, if I get the ball I am often close to the goal and have a chance to shoot. Sometimes teams try to put you under more pressure and press higher, and that leaves gaps for me to run behind instead, so both ways I had chances. 

“Just as importantly though, I had amazing team-mates. Some of the best players in the world were on my team, and everyone could score, so opponents could not put all their attention on me. And people like Robles, Luis Zubieta, Carlao, Caballero, they could all play perfect passes even under pressure, so chances could come from nowhere.

“But I think the main thing was that we all understood each other. Because players stayed a long time and there wasn’t much change, because we always played the same style, we just knew how to play to our strengths. I scored a lot of goals, the midfielders got a lot of assists, our defenders kept many clean sheets - there were very good players all working hard to help one another. I was just the one who put the ball in the net most often.”

“Was there one season you can think of when the team was at its best? When you were truly at the peak of your powers?”

“That’s a very difficult question! We had many good years, but I think maybe the best was my fourth season in Barcelona. Everything worked perfectly that year.”

“That would be the treble-winning season, correct?”

“That’s right. We beat PSG in Istanbul, Bilbao in the Copa, and in the league we were nearly perfect. Until game 32 we had only drawn four matches, then we lost an unlucky game against Betis. It was the only game we lost all season, and we were devastated - we really thought we could be unbeaten. But it was the only disappointment, everything else that year was so good.”

“You won the Ballon D’Or for the second time that season, scoring more than 50 goals in all competitions. Was it your best season as well as the team’s?”

“I think so. For me, awards for players in a team game is very strange, but I definitely played well that year. Those awards usually go to the top scorer in a winning team, or maybe the best playmaker, so I always think of them as trophies for the team. But it is always nice to be recognised.”

“You won the award one more time to join a very select group of players with three Ballons D’Or. That places you as one of the greatest players to play the game - is that something you agree with? Do you consider yourself one of the best?”

“These awards are not everything - for a long time, only players in Europe could win, so some of the best like Pele are not in that group - but I am not thinking about how I compare to other players. I think about how I am playing compared to me, trying to work harder and do better than yesterday, whether I am improving. Of course it is an honour to hear my name in those conversations, but it isn’t something I think about. Other people can decide how good I was!”

“Were there any  of your team-mates you feel should have got that recognition instead of you, or maybe alongside?”

“Every player in that Barcelona team was one of the best in the world, they had to be to stay in the team and be so successful. But I mentioned Luis Zubieta before, and I think he is maybe the best player I played with. Every pass was perfect, he always found time, he could see things nobody else could. For a striker, he was the perfect team-mate because you knew he would put the ball in the best place for you - on your strong foot, just past the reach of a defender. I was so pleased he won the Ballon D’Or when Spain won the World Cup, but if he got it every year I wouldn’t have complained. He was an amazing player.”

“And is there anyone you played with elsewhere that would have fitted into the Barca team with you, do you think?”

“That’s a good question. I think people will expect me to say the Special K, Kvara and Kunkel, and I think they would have been very good for Barca. But I will pick someone from Monaco - Seydou Fofana. He was a gentle giant in the changing room, but one of the best defenders I played with. He was so hard to get past on the ground or in the air, and very good technical skills as well. I think he would have done very well with us at Camp Nou.”

“What about going the other way - was there anybody that left that you think should have stayed? Someone the team missed, perhaps?”

“It is always sad to see your team-mates go, so there are lots of names I could give you. But I think the one that a lot of the fans will say, if they have forgiven him, is Gavi. He grew up in Barcelona, played so many games, was a leader and a really important player, and then decided to leave. I know now there was an argument with his agent and he wanted to challenge himself somewhere different, but I think he could have been a legend for the club. It’s sad that it didn’t work for him at Manchester United either, and I think they would have welcomed him back.”

“OK, that’s enough speculative questions for the time being. Once we’re back from the break, we’ll be talking about the last couple of years of Brahim’s extraordinary career - dealing with injury, age and a changing role at the club. Stay with us here on Global Sports Showcase, and we’ll see you again soon.”

“Welcome back to a special edition of Global Sports Showcase, where we are joined by three-time Ballon D’or winner Brahim Kamara. We’ve already touched on several aspects of your career, but haven’t got to the later stages just yet. You had two quite significant injuries in the same year, both to your left knee, and it changed your game in a major way. First of all, how did you react to the setbacks?”

“It was hard, really hard. For most of my career I was lucky enough to avoid injuries, and when they came they were small with quick recoveries. But when you damage ligaments at 32, you have a lot of doubts. Will I be able to play again? Will the team replace me? Will I be the same player? Will I get injured again? When you are young, you have time on your side, but in your thirties you know it is running out.”

“Was the second injury harder or easier, would you say?”

“I think harder, definitely. You work hard with the physio for so long to recover and then come back, that it is so difficult when the same knee is injured again. It wasn’t as serious, but it weakens the joint and muscles even more, so you know coming back will be harder. And you have the same doubts again, knowing you are another year older.”

“Did you ever consider retiring?”

“Of course! Think of my situation, I am so lucky - I have a beautiful wife and three children, live in an amazing city, lots of medals and trophies, no need to work again. I knew the challenge of getting fit to play again, it is hard. So stopping would have been easy. But I love football, love the club, and felt like I had more to give. I think that is the question for any player in that situation - what have you got left? It is not always easy to answer, but you have to be honest.”

“What were Barcelona like with you as you recovered?”

“They were amazing, it was as if I was still part of the team every week. They gave me the best treatment available, made me welcome at the training ground, checked in on me often. People came to visit me at home, and they even let me sit on the bench with the substitutes if I wanted to. That was part of what made me want to keep playing - they didn’t give up on me.”

“Did the coaches give you any idea about how you might be used when you came back?”

“No, not until after I was back in full training and they could do tests with me. I knew I would not be as fast as I had been before, and they measured it. They changed my training, helped me learn the new style, and things carried on. But I don’t think it was a plan before, no.”

“Can you describe your new role and what changed?”

“My new job was to give a lot of my goals to my team-mates! I still played as the striker, but the idea was for me to play deeper and make space for other people - the wingers and central midfielders. Instead of running behind all the time, I tried to pull defenders with me. I still had chances, of course, but I was making a lot more passes for my team-mates to score.”

“Did you mind not scoring as many goals?”

“No, because it meant I could still play! It would have been easy for the club to buy a new striker and give him my place, but they had faith in me and changed a winning style to keep me in the team. It meant I could still play an important part, and the team adapted really well to the change.”

“Very well - you won the Champions League again in your recovery year.”

“That’s right, and I played a nice pass for Zubieta’s goal at Wembley in the final. It felt great to win the trophy after being injured so long.”

“You played for one more season before deciding to retire - what was it that made you stop when you did? Was it a difficult decision?”

“It was a hard decision, yes. I had worked so hard to come back and be part of the team, so part of me wanted to keep going. I still loved playing, and I was still lucky enough to be at Barcelona, which felt like a family. It is always hard to leave your family.

“But there were other reasons I had to stop. I had to think of my family at home - of Sabiya, Djamel, Gazala and Khalil. I wanted to be there for my wife, and for my children growing up. Every time I finished a match my knee hurt for one or two days, and I didn’t want football to break me. Also, I could see I was not helping the team as much. In my last season Real beat us to the title, and I knew a new striker would make the difference. At Barca’s level, you can’t afford an old man in the team. I knew it was time.”

“You say you were hindering the team, but you still contributed to a trophy in your final season, and in some style. How did that feel?”

“It felt like the right ending. To win the Copa, scoring against Espanyol in the final, it was the perfect ending to the story. When we did our victory lap with the trophy, I knew then that it was time.”

“How long before the end of the season did you speak to the club?”

“I spoke to the coach the very next day. He was really kind about it and understood - he was a player himself, so knew how hard it was. He told me I’d always be welcome, and that if I changed my mind he’d be happy to use me. But I was decided, and a couple of days later I met with the media team to write my statement.”

“It was that quick?”

“It had to be for me - I didn’t want to give myself time to change my mind. It would have been easy to try maybe one more year, but it was the right decision. I needed it to be public so I couldn’t go back.”

“And you didn’t, retiring at the end of last season after 408 appearances and 242 goals for Barcelona in all competitions, the highest scorer in the club’s history not named Lionel Messi. Can you describe the first morning of your retirement?”

“In some ways it was the same as any other day after the season - no training, some recovery work for my knee at home. But when I was on the exercise bike I realised it was all done, and I struggled to know what to do. I didn’t need to train for anything, and that was a very strange feeling.”

“How long did it take before that feeling went away?”

“Not very long, actually. After spending a few days with my family and doing some work with the Foundation, I found a new rhythm quite quickly. It was good to have a new focus.”

“And that’s a focus we’ll explore after the break as we look into the brilliant work of the Brahim Kamara Foundation. Don’t go anywhere, and we’ll see you back on Global Sports Showcase in no time.”

“Welcome back to Global Sports Showcase, where we’re speaking with Barcelona legend Brahim Kamara. Having talked us through his remarkable career, we’re about to discuss the charitable foundation that bears his name. Brahim, when did you decide to set up BKF?”

“It was something I had the idea for when I was in Turkey - when I was confident enough that I was going to be able to make a career in football. But it was only in Monaco, after I met Sabiya, that the idea came to life. Her passion for justice inspired me, and she has the knowledge to make it work. So the idea happened in Turkey, a lot of the work happened in Monaco, and then we launched in Newcastle.”

“And remind us all what the goals of the Foundation are?”

“To prevent the exploitation and trafficking of young footballers. I was the lucky one who had a club, a contract, and made a career. But sadly there are many agents like ‘Alex’ still working, taking advantage of hopeful children. They end up far from home with no money, often tied to an illegal contract with their agent and with no power. We want to stop that.”

“And how do you do that? What does the Foundation practically do?”

“We have teams working with a number of governments and FAs in Africa, and also with FIFA and the players’ union, FIFPro. Every agent should be registered with FIFA, so when a contract is signed we’re now involved in checking - is it legitimate? Sometimes it’s easy and the agent is clearly a fake, sometimes you look for signs. Is this a normal transfer? Do documents match? Do the fees look like exploitation? FIFA can check these things and stop moves happening, or ask for more information.

“It is very hard now for a player to move countries before 18, but it still happens - people forge documents. But anti-fraud teams are getting better, technology is better, we are making it harder for the criminals to work. We are lobbying now for FIFA to place a global cap on the percentage an agent can take from a transfer or salary, but there is a lot of resistance.”

“And how are the governments involved?”

“FIFA has limited power outside football. But if we find an agent trying to traffick children out of a country and committing serious fraud, we can then go to government agencies with our evidence. We can ask for flight bans, for assets to be frozen, we ask for arrests. We want to stop as much of this going on as we can.”

“Is this approach working? Do you have any success stories?”

“It is slow work and hard work, and sadly not every government is co-operative. But I think it is working. Last year, FIFA banned more than 100 agents from football across the world. 60% of those were active in Africa, and 85% of them were people we were working on. There is a lot more to do, but it is working.”

“Is Africa the main problem area?”

“This happens all over the world. Africa is the biggest because it is perhaps easier to convince a family who has very little, but it happens in Eastern Europe and South America as well. One day we would like to expand and work across the world, but we don’t have the resources now.”

“How is the Foundation funded?”

“Sabiya and I committed some of our salary for the last 12, 13 years, which helped get started. We have many individual supporters including some of my old team-mates, but we are really thankful to have the support of many FAs - in a lot of European countries they understand the problem and pay for our staff to work with them.”

“What is your personal role now that you've retired from playing?”

“I think there are three parts. First is my name - I am lucky that people know me, so maybe they take it more seriously because my name is attached. Second is similar, because it is easier to speak to governments or agencies when they know who you are, so I make a lot of contacts. Finally, I talk to players who have been through it themselves.”

“In a counselling role?”

“Not yet - I am training as a trauma counsellor at the moment. But as a friend, as someone who understands, as someone who has empathy. They might be a famous player, they might not play football any more, but I can talk to them and point them to other people who can help them think and talk and grow. It is a small part of the work, but very important.”

“It’s really important work that you’re doing, Brahim, and it’s really brave of you to speak about your own experiences so openly. If people want to be involved or support financially, what’s the best way to do so?”

“Our website has all the information on it - you can give or volunteer or just find out more. Like I said before, I’m really lucky that I was still able to play, to come back, to meet people like David Tetteh and Joel Kojo who listened and helped. But many are not so lucky, so if we can help even one of them, it is worth it for me. Thank you for letting me share this work.”

“Thank you for all that you do Brahim, as you said it’s so important and not something a lot of people are aware. Hopefully your Foundation is able to change that.

“We’re going to take a short break now, and then we’ll return for the final part of tonight’s episode, when we’ll be discussing Brahim’s hopes for the future of football - in Mauritania, Africa and beyond. Don’t go anywhere, we’ll be back soon.”

“Welcome back to the final time to tonight’s episode of Global Sports Showcase with none other than Brahim Kamara, footballing superstar, Barcelona legend and anti-trafficking campaigner. We’ve explored his glittering career, the work of the Brahim Kamara Foundation in stopping rogue agents traffick players, and now we turn to his thoughts on the game at large. We’ll start close to your home, Brahim - would you ever consider going into sports administration? I’m thinking specifically of Mauritania.”

“It’s something I’ve been asked a lot! And maybe one day it will be the right thing for me. But I think a lot of footballers, often in Africa, go and be president of the FA or go into politics, and then it is a lot harder than just being a famous person. Maybe their name opens some doors, but you have to know what to do when you are in the room. There are a lot of problems with football in Mauritania, but right now I don’t have the experience to try and solve them.”

“What would you say are the main problems?”

“With Mauritania it is similar to a lot of countries in Africa - facilities are not good, there is not much money to invest, and too much priority is given to the capital city. FIFA makes sure the FA has money, but that money does not always reach the places it is needed. Sadly, in many countries there are people involved who are only interested in themselves.”

“Is there a solution that you can see?”

“Like I said, I don’t have the experience to fix it right now! But I think when it comes to money, there has to be a better target for where it goes, and more checks to make sure it gets there. And if people are not doing their jobs, they should be removed. It happens too often that these people are allowed to stay and make things worse.”

“What are the prospects for football in Mauritania at the moment?”

“There is a lot of potential, definitely - I think people would be surprised by some of the talent. But the league in Mauritania is not so strong, because there is not so much money and because the best players quickly go to our neighbours - Senegal, Mali, Morocco, Algeria all have stronger competitions and can take the players early. We are a big country in size, but small in football. So it is hard for the league to improve, and the national team to make progress.”

“The team has made it to three Cups of Nations, including the one you played in. Is that the best they can hope for at the moment?”

“I think so. African football is stronger than ever, which is great, but the gap between the big countries and the rest is getting bigger. Unless a lot of things change, Mauritania will not win the competition or go to a World Cup, for example.”

“You mentioned the strength of African football there. Pele famously claimed an African team would be world champions before 2000, and more than 40 years later it has still not happened. Do you think there will ever be an African World Cup winner?”

“I think now it is more realistic than before, because there are some very strong teams. In the North, Algeria and Egypt are very good, and in West Africa there are many teams who have strong squads, like Ghana, Nigeria, Côte D’Ivoire. I think our Cup of Nations is the most competitive of any continent, because most teams that qualify could win the competition.

“But every World Cup there is always Brazil and Argentina, plus maybe six or seven European teams that always expect to be in the semi finals or final, so there is not much space. And to have the tournament in Africa is very unusual, so they never have that advantage. But I think if African teams can convince their players not to play for other countries, and can grow some better coaches, one of them will win one day, definitely.”

“Could you say who you think it will be?”

“That is impossible! No, I cannot say. But it will happen, I believe it.”

“Finally Brahim, and thank you so much for your time this evening, I’d like to ask for your thoughts on the future of football more widely. If you could change one thing about the game - we’ll put trafficking and false agents to one side given we’ve talked about BKF already - what would it be?”

“That’s a really big question, I think there are many things that would make football better. A lot of the answers only make a difference to big teams in Europe - people talk about salary caps, or limiting the price of tickets, or Financial Fair Play. But I think something that would help everyone is making sure that every player has access to a good education at a youth level.”

“How would something like that work?”

“There is a lot of detail I don’t know! But I know in England, for example, when you go to an academy as a child, you have to continue your education, in case you don’t make it. I think in Europe it is common, but in a lot of the world you have to choose between football or school, and that is not right. Of course it is hard for a club with no money to pay teachers, but football is the richest game in the world - if FIFA and FAs say they care about players, I’m sure they can find the money.”

“An interesting idea, and I doubt you’d find many people arguing with the principle behind it. If sports administration does ever appear in your future, I think a lot of people will be playing close attention.

“Brahim Kamara, it has been an honour and a pleasure to speak to you today. Thank you for joining us on Global Sports Showcase, for entertaining us all with your goals for so many years, and for all that you do for so many people with the Brahim Kamara Foundation. Thank you for sharing with us this evening.”

“Thank you Oliver, it’s been my pleasure.”

“And thank you all at home for joining in this very special episode of Global Sports Showcase. Next week, we’ll be live from the mountains of Georgia, as the town of Gudauri celebrates being named host of the Freestyle Snowboard World Championships early next year. Multiple world champion Mia Brookes won her first gold on those same slopes aged just 16, and she’ll be leading us on a tour of the town.

“But that’s all for tonight’s edition of Global Sports Showcase. Thank you once again to Brahim Kamara, and thank you for watching. I’ve been Oliver Downing, and we’ll see you again next week.”
--

That wraps up Brahim Kamara's story - I hope you've enjoyed a slightly different style of story, thank you for reading, and I'll see you in the next one!

• 2 weeks later...

I just came here to say kudos. Kudos for a beautiful, heartwarming story about a Mauritanian boy who became a star and made his people proud despite all the demons he must have held in him. I can only imagine how many people were touched by this man.

And thank you for making me smile on a late night when all seemed just a little bit numb. Cheers mate!