How to choose the best Winger role?

Hi, 

I am struggling in choosing the best role for my wingers. The interpretation of the role would similar to Mitoma (Brighton) or Robben and Ribery with Guardiola, so he has to stay really wide, hugging the touchline, and whit the ball on his feet seeking for 1vs1 . Whereas, without the ball, I want him involved defensively involved.

So the active instructions must be:
- Stay wide
- Dribble more
- Cut inside with the ball

I narrowed the options to these two roles: Inverted Winger and Wide Midfielder. 
And the possible combinations of duties/roles are the following:

Trequartista line - Inverted Winger /Attack:  Is not helping when my team is not in possession
Trequartista line - Inverted Winger /Support:
Midfielder line - Invert Winger /Attack:
Midfielder line - Inverted Winger /Support:
Midfielder line - Wide Midfielder /Attack: 
Midfielder line - Wide Midfielder /Support:

I tried all the other roles/duties and they look pretty similar in both defensive and attacking. Should I pick a random one or there are some hidden settings or role concept that I should consider in the choice?

Robben is the personification of an Inverted Winger so I'd go with that first of all. Attack or Support duty depends on what you want him to look for primarily:

• more focus on risky actions (through balls, 1v1, shots) - attack
  • more focus on creating chances for teammates - support

Regarding other possible roles:

• Trequartista is a creative role with little regard to defensive movement
  • Inside Forward is more of a forward than a midfielder, it's in the name but people often seem to forget that
  • Wide Midfielder is a more generic role that you can either leave as is and will behave in great part as per the player's Preferred Traits, or customize it with PI

4 minuti fa, kingjericho ha scritto:
  • more focus on risky actions (through balls, 1v1, shots) - attack
  • more focus on creating chances for teammates - support

If this is how the mentality is reflected in the game, it narrows my options to:

Midfielder line - Invert Winger /Attack:
Midfielder line - Wide Midfielder /Attack: 

23 minutes ago, desmond91 said:

If this is how the mentality is reflected in the game, it narrows my options to:

Midfielder line - Invert Winger /Attack:
Midfielder line - Wide Midfielder /Attack: 

Mentality means risk so interpret that as you wish. That's why teams on defensive/cautious mentality have 1 or 2 attacking duties and teams on control/attacking mentality have 4 or 5.

Did you try using a Winger role on the opposite side of his foot? For example, Robben as a Winger on the right.

I'm doing a similar thing on FM22 and the player almost always cuts inside. Considering Wingers stay even wider in FM23 and preferred foot + player traits have more weight each year, you could try that.

On 03/03/2023 at 09:27, bosque said:

Did you try using a Winger role on the opposite side of his foot? For example, Robben as a Winger on the right.

I'm doing a similar thing on FM22 and the player almost always cuts inside. Considering Wingers stay even wider in FM23 and preferred foot + player traits have more weight each year, you could try that.

Exactly, Winger with Opposite foot is what you're looking for. But For Robben I think he's more of a IW-at. Mitoma, Saka , Martinelli are really good irl examples of Winger with opposite foot

i try recreating this with antony for the robben role, i train him to get the hug line trait and use a IW-S to get him tracking back and involved in build up, and use stay wider too. i also use get further forward too.