Should I sell Harry Kane?

Vanchatron

I'm about to start a new game as Spurs, but Kane isn't really the kind of player that'll fit my tactics.  Yes, he'll score loads of goals, but I prefer a striker that is really fast and makes a lot of runs in behind which I'm guessing Kane will rarely do.  I'm not sure whether to sell him straight away or keep him for the first season and see if he does well, which should increase his transfer worth.  Then again with him being 29, by the time the season's over he'll be 30 and his worth may drop dramatically even if he's been playing well.

20 hours ago, Vanchatron said:

I'm about to start a new game as Spurs, but Kane isn't really the kind of player that'll fit my tactics.  Yes, he'll score loads of goals, but I prefer a striker that is really fast and makes a lot of runs in behind which I'm guessing Kane will rarely do.  I'm not sure whether to sell him straight away or keep him for the first season and see if he does well, which should increase his transfer worth.  Then again with him being 29, by the time the season's over he'll be 30 and his worth may drop dramatically even if he's been playing well.

well yeah, he's one of the best in the game, but if he isn't your sort of player.. you can bring in the sort of money that will get you the funds to build the squad you want...

21 hours ago, Vanchatron said:

what formation do you use? if 4231 could you put him in the number 10 role as SS

Some players are good enough to adapt style to and/or are good enough to be effective in a style they're not ideally suited to. 

Harry Kane is world class.  "On of YOUR own," a Model Professional and highly consistent - making him even better than his attributes (at least compared to other players with similar attributes but lower consistency and Player Personality).

To me he 100% worth adapting TO.  Get the runs from the flanks and he'll be lethal playing them in (remember in addition to all his other qualities he's as two-footed as it gets in FM).  He'll produce in and around the box in ANY Central Forward role.

I'd make extending his contract a, if not THE, top priority at start of new game regardless of preferred style.  

I can't see the squad, board or supporters being happy about selling him.  

The only reason I can see even considering selling him are:

1 He won't sign contract extension (even then I'd almost certainly keep him and bet on success swaying him to extend

2 You believe IRL he's going to leave and want to "simulate" what is a plausible IRL scenario

3 Wheeling and dealing is just what you enjoy most in FM 

4 You're an Arsenal supporter and just wanna screw Spurs!  (now THAT I respect...in that case I suggest replacing him with Anthony Martial!)

I would never consider selling Kane, even if you play 4-3-3 I'd use him in one flank as a playmaker. In 4231 the answer is easy, Amc as playmaker. In 442 (eww) he would make an amazing dlf. He can mentor a younger member of your squad, so he's really really useful.

2 hours ago, Staf9 said:

what formation do you use? if 4231 could you put him in the number 10 role as SS

That would be his worst role behind center back or goalkeeper irl lol. But fm is a crazy game so it might work idk.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2023 at 12:28, Vanchatron said:

No you should not. Run a striker partnership instead (a pacy forward w Kane the DLF). Tottenham have Son already who is the perfect IF w pace.

If you want more pace than that, run an asymmetrical 4-3-3 with Son out wide, Kane in the middle, and an AF you bring in.

If you're determined to sell him...players values will go up after they perform well. Wait till after your first season and win everything you can in it. But I agree with @Poison, He'll age well, and can mentor young players. A player definitely  worth building around. Spurs have a squad that can win things now, so why tear it down and have to wait? If you want a long term project save, you're probably better off starting at a smaller club. From a financial perspective, prize money from challenging for the title and going deep in the champions league, is much more valuable than selling your star striker before you need to.

If you want to generate funds: I'd recommend moving on aging, high wage earners, with poor personalities. Even if the transfer fee is not that high, 100k a week from the wagebill is around 5m in transfer funds. Again you'll make much more if you wait till after your first season and perform well. 

Edited by Cloud9

• 5 weeks later...