Tips for playing away from home in CL as underdog ?

Just wondering how people approach these games from a tactical perspective ? 

if you are away to Bayern for example? 

In terms of defensive line?

Pressing 

tempo

mentality? 

i know there is lots of different ways to approach based on your appetite for risk

for example a high line and midblock to try keep them away from your goal

or drop back and soak up pressure? 

just looking for some general tips that people have found success based on the match engine ? 

I have won it once on this fm with an underdog team. 

I found it really is getting it all right in game, so the morale, training and roles within the tactics you are using. 

Also don't just skip past the tactics preview screen, might be things such as changing from positive to balanced or lowering your defensive line as the other team has pacey and good off the ball attackers. 

My general approach away in a 4-2-3-1 is:

- cautious or balanced mentality

- high d-line, mid block

-fast wingers and afw and depending on number of opposing defenders I use hit early crosses

- standard to direct passing

- counter on

- no counter pressing and standard pressing to keep formation a bit more tight

- play for setpieces

I feel this approach gives the right cynical balance to hit on the counter while still staying higher up the pitch lurking for the break. It requires good defenders though. Been pretty successful with this.

On 25/03/2023 at 09:29, xAndyyy said:

Just wondering how people approach these games from a tactical perspective ? 

if you are away to Bayern for example? 

In terms of defensive line?

Pressing 

tempo

mentality? 

i know there is lots of different ways to approach based on your appetite for risk

for example a high line and midblock to try keep them away from your goal

or drop back and soak up pressure? 

just looking for some general tips that people have found success based on the match engine ? 

Play lower tempo, w lower lines than you would normally. Conserve energy and fight like a heavy weight boxer.

• Watch the opposition moral and the game tempo. When it swings in your favor or they go red moral --> up the tempo//mentality, increase the attacking width, flick on the counterpress//tackle harder and go for them. When it's gone, revert to type and be patient. Try to live in moments and defend without a counter press that will see your players beaten in one v ones. 
  • I'd also go into the individual instructions so your weaker players have "pass it short" and your talented players have "more direct passing" on. You won't need better XG to win the game, just take your moments when you can capitalize in the match. 
  • Specifics will depend on the opposition. If they've got super quick forwards (an Mbappe for example) a high defensive line will kill you. Look for a weak point in their defense you can go after in the moments you choose to attack. 

Squad Building Wise:

• Good personality players who can handle pressure/big matches (and won't get a red card as well). 
  • If someone gets booked on your team, remember to put them on "ease off tackle." Big matches and red cards go hand in hand.
  • If you have inconsistent players in your squad, good luck. 
  • At least one attacking player with pace.
  • Get players who you can utilize "Play for Set Pieces"
  • Get your "Team Dynamics" screen to full green bars. This is like, actually so key for success, particularly "Team Cohesion."
  • A goalkeeper that can stop penalties (reflexes, anticipation, concentration). 
  • A backline who can actually defend properly, looking at the FB/WBs here. Back 5 w a double pivot in front is superb both in preventing long shots and getting beaten 1v1. Double pivot also helps you against high pressing opposition as a pressure valve. A 5-2-3 is one of the best formations if you're looking for cup magic as an underdog. 
Edited by Cloud9

I normally play a mid block 4-3-3 but in the bigger games I tend to drop one of the CMs back to DM and have a DM(d) and either a regista or DM(s) depending on the opposition system. If they have an AM I tend to not go with a regista since there’s less space for them and they’ll get pressed more.

I also usually untick ‘distribute to centre backs’ for my keeper since most good sides will press you extremely highly and going direct with the keeper can be a good way of beating the press.

it doesn’t always work but I’ve had some great away performances against top sides with my Brescia team