Promise to let star player leave (because of another broken promise)?

The case: I manage Sunderland. Am in season 3, December 2024. One of my best players, Leighton Clarkson is pissed and wants to leave. I am usually very careful with keeping promises, however I missed one here. I let my DoF negotiated his contract when he was signed on a free, and I was unaware that my DoF had made a promise that Clarkson would be utilised in a position and role that I don't use in my tactics.

As expected, Clarkson is now mad that I have used in in another role and wants to leave.

He has a semi-low release clause for domestic clubs in a higher league (= Premier League clubs, I am still in the Championship) of £15.5m, his market value being £15.5-20m.

My dilemma: Should I accept his wish to leave or not? In other words, when I have the private chat with him regarding the broken promised, should I eventually promise him that I won't stand in his way (which makes him hand in a transfer request immediately after that chat is over)?

I made a couple of brief test runs, reloading.

On one hand: If I make that promise, it seems like interest in him is greater. Bournemouth immediately turns up interested. Which is concerning, they or some other club during the January window might meet his release clause.

On the other hand, if I don't make such a promised and tell him that he is going nowhere, on the positive side no clubs seem interested, at least to begin with. But on the other side, Clarkson is much more displeased, publicly telling team mates etc. how unfair I treated him.

So what to do. If I make the promised that he is bascially free to hand in a transfer request and that I won't stand in his way, the risk of losing him seems greater.

But on the other hand, if I deny him, he might ruin team dynamics more, and/or stay mad for a longer period of time?

I am not very experienced at FM which is why I ask. I guess that if you have managed 30+ seasons, you will have learned from experience how the different scenarios play out.

Edited by danej

• danej changed the title to Promise to let star player leave (because of another broken promise)?