More set piece variations (and routines)

If I recall correctly, in FM 13 there was an option of, if a corner is taken to the back post, you could give specific instructions to the player there whether to go for goal or head back to the near post... I really liked that. This also helps the towering cb with poor a heading attribute. Also, you could tell the near post man whether to flick on or not.

And presently you can't place a defender at either post when defending free kicks. I can't have JWP and the likes catching highlights against me all the time. Again, the individual instructions could also be added in present set piece routines to add more unpredictability. I also understand this could also be used against you but meh. If these were to be addressed I feel more routines would be needed to capture match needs.

And this may not relate to set pieces but I recall if a cross was made you could tell the striker where to run e.g. winger: cross near post; striker: go to near post when ball is delivered.

I also really liked that.

Edited by Mr.e
To add a bit more

Set pieces and Player/Team/Media interactions are two parts of the game that SI should really tear down and rework completely. I think the community has agreed on this for at least a couple of years now, but so far... This is still what we've got. I remain hopeful for next years edition.

On 31/03/2023 at 17:48, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

I don’t think that’s true, I literally just did it.

And you can control where your player crosses in his individual PI. 

Free kicks? Not corners? I just checked again and you cant.

40 minutes ago, Mr.e said:

Free kicks? Not corners? I just checked again and you cant.

Ah, I see the issue. You can't place a defender on the post for a *direct* free-kick with a chance to shoot.

Because you can set them on the other three, I would venture a guess that it has something to do with the attacking-side of the FK since you cannot tell the kicker what to do with the ball and leave it entirely up to them. On the other FK routines, you can tell the kicker what to do, and on the defending-side, you can tell your players where to defend. 

Sorry for the confusion.