counter-tactics for the next opponents' tactical styles

usually I don't dive into every opponent too deeply but always try to at least adjust the basic things such as

• mentality
  • line of engagement
  • defensive line

and then, for example depending on how dominant I believe the opponent will be I'd add additional things such as "early crosses", passing directness, tempo and the likes

But to my question,

I have had crazy mixed results in FM23 and more often than not, attack seems to be the best form of defense, regardless of how strong the opponent was (and contrary to the ingame description).

But generally I'd like to have a discussion on the best way to set up at least the 3 basic things listed above.  The way I do it is to check the opponents' tactic in the data hub and when it says:  "they like to draw the opposion out" I'd sometimes try a low block or when they say they play a wing game, there are obvious counter measures for that in the game.  but usually its not that simple, when they say "they play a vertical tiki taka" or things like that, what does that mean for me, what would be a good counter (in theory) for that? I am wondering if there are tipps from your side as there aren't that crazy many tactics the opponents can have (gegenpress, control possession style etc.) On that note, sometimes I think its a shame that the data hub now even tells us the length of the opponent's shoe laces but strangely it does NOT tell us about their expected line of engagement and defensive line which would be so valuable information for setting up your own lines. For example, when you know that they are expected to stand very high up the pitch you could try and take advantage of that.

For all this discussion I should add that that I am only talking about changing the tactics, and not the formation.  I usually like to leave my formation unchanged - maybe change certain duties but not the general order.

Thanks!

I am certainly not an expert on these things but i will think you will find a few of the big posters on these forums will say something like: they don't change their tactics based on the opposition.  they like to play their own way - enforce their tactic onto the opposition.  They would also suggest watching the first 15 minutes and makes changes based on what you see.

Anyway, I would also add: you seem to be looking on changing your tactic based on how you press.  I would also consider changing your tactic based on how you use the ball in possession.   I mean think about the tempo and passing directness based on the opposition pressing system (how much time you have on the ball) and how much space the opposition leaves in behind.  If you are getting caught in possession then quicken up the tempo (and vice versa), if there is space behind then consider increasing the directness (and vice versa).

But again, this all depends on how you want to play.