Pressing in a possession based system (Guardiola, Arteta, De zerbi)

I was wondering if anyone has discovered a way to press in a way that is similar to how the possession coaches of the world typically press? 

By this I mean the Striker moves to the CB with the ball between the CBs to block the pass, the Winger on the far side will move to the other CB and the FB will move to the opposing FB. Then the rest of the team matches up all over the park and this is how they press most teams typically. 

I am struggling to get those wingers to invert onto the CBs while pressing and with trying to get my FBs to press the opposing FBs. I have managed to get that 4411/442 pressing shape that they typically use whilst maintaining the 235/325 shape in possession.

If anyone has any ideas let me know, meanwhile I'll post my treble winning tactic with here. Amazing possession, aggressive goalscoring, gorgeous moves.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 14.21.17.png

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 14.22.11.png

Edited by tk23
adding instructions

An aggressive Pressing Forward though I'm not sure on if he'd actually block lanes between CBs

For the winger, you could try having him man mark the full back but he might be too deep

It'll be pretty difficult to do it specifically as you want in game  

I've been trying both in Fm 22 and 23, the closest i've gotten was just full individual player man marking, and honestly against lesser teams it was actually very effective.
Here we somewhat achieve the structure, it's a bit awkward because dortmund don't really play out the back, but did get a couple situations looking like this.
I would've liked to be able to set up in a regular 4-3-3, but need to lopside it a bit to get the defensive structure to look like this, if the striker is in the middle he doesn't stick properly to the Rcb, and the right fullback needs to be in the wingback slot, or he wont be high enough to properly press the fullback

e0f4fb6872dd3aea3f44196ac470bf71.jpg0e3ca71015a7ef836fa6f1621eba4941.png

2 hours ago, julle17 said:

I've been trying both in Fm 22 and 23, the closest i've gotten was just full individual player man marking, and honestly against lesser teams it was actually very effective.
Here we somewhat achieve the structure, it's a bit awkward because dortmund don't really play out the back, but did get a couple situations looking like this.
I would've liked to be able to set up in a regular 4-3-3, but need to lopside it a bit to get the defensive structure to look like this, if the striker is in the middle he doesn't stick properly to the Rcb, and the right fullback needs to be in the wingback slot, or he wont be high enough to properly press the fullback

Ooooh this looks really intriguing! Im gonna mess around with the wingback slot and see what I can cook up, thanks!

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

An aggressive Pressing Forward though I'm not sure on if he'd actually block lanes between CBs

For the winger, you could try having him man mark the full back but he might be too deep

It'll be pretty difficult to do it specifically as you want in game  

I'll try a PF out, with the winger do you mean "Mark specific position" for the winger? So like Have the winger specifically mark the right CB, then the PF on the left CB and then the wingback on their FB? Sounds interesting I will have to try it out!

21 minutes ago, tk23 said:

I'll try a PF out, with the winger do you mean "Mark specific position" for the winger? So like Have the winger specifically mark the right CB, then the PF on the left CB and then the wingback on their FB? Sounds interesting I will have to try it out!

That's it yeah, I'm not sure it'll fully work though with the W and WB so deep, @julle17 looks like he has a good solution, so have a tinker with it 

2 hours ago, julle17 said:

Just wondering, what kind of instructions are you using to get this going? Mark specific position? Player? Roles? Anything that helps would be great!

Specific player marking, and the lopsided striker and wingback slot are needed imo, if it's a fullback he doesn't sit high enough, and striker towards the side makes sure he sticks to that cb. haven't noticed anything that roles really do differently

12 minutes ago, julle17 said:

Specific player marking, and the lopsided striker and wingback slot are needed imo, if it's a fullback he doesn't sit high enough, and striker towards the side makes sure he sticks to that cb. haven't noticed anything that roles really do differently

Yeah I've noticed that specific position marking is pretty useless, specific player marking is the way to go imo

On 05/04/2023 at 16:36, julle17 said:

What did this look like in your PIs?