League Split

Celtic501

I want to create a league split but I'm unsure on how to create it correctly, the 1st and 2nd phase part? Any advice would you be appreciated.

Also what are people's thought's on the league split? Do you prefer it? A few Leagues use it.

Just do it in basic rules then convert to advanced. It'll all be done for you. Alternatively, just load up a league with a split and copy how it's done there.

I'm not really keen on it. But I do think it has its uses for smaller leagues. If your top flight only has like 10 or 12 games then a split is a good way to get it to have a decent number of games.

7 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Just do it in basic rules then convert to advanced. It'll all be done for you. Alternatively, just load up a league with a split and copy how it's done there.

I'm not really keen on it. But I do think it has its uses for smaller leagues. If your top flight only has like 10 or 12 games then a split is a good way to get it to have a decent number of games.

Thanks. What about trying it for a bigger league? Example the English Premier League. 28 teams, 1 round of games, league splits and top and bottom 14 teams play each other, if my maths are correct, 40 games and more teams in the top flight without it being a ridiculous number.

1 hour ago, Celtic501 said:

Thanks. What about trying it for a bigger league? Example the English Premier League. 28 teams, 1 round of games, league splits and top and bottom 14 teams play each other, if my maths are correct, 40 games and more teams in the top flight without it being a ridiculous number.

I'm really not a fan of it for bigger leagues. Being in the bottom half if it's a league of 28 would be kind of pointless for most teams. Only a handful would be fighting against relegation, the others would have nothing to play for. Same for the top half actually. The bottom handful of teams wouldn't have much chance of finishing in the top 7 and also wouldn't have any fear of relegation. You'd just get a lot of dead rubbers in both halves.

With a league of 12, since getting 7 UEFA places is possible, the teams in the bottom half still have something to play for. Whoever finished top there could get a European place. Plus there will be less between the top and bottom teams of the bottom half so a much larger % are in the relegation fight too. Not to mention it's usually only 5 games, so it's a much smaller chunk of the season.

With the larger league I suppose you could give them a European playoff place for finishing top of the bottom half, but to me it just wouldn't feel right to give a team that finished 15th a chance to play in Europe next season.

Edited by rusty217