About the Points System

Xehakoha

Hey guys, I'm trying to create a new league in the FM editor where a win will be worth 3 points, a draw will be worth 0 points, and a loss will be worth -3 points (My goal is to make a zero-sum game, so a win can be 1 point, a loss can be -1 point for example)

I know the game mechanics have a point deduction system. Therefore, I think it should be possible for teams to have negative points.

However, I've noticed that the editor only allows for a minimum of 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss. I'm wondering if there's any way to make my point system work within the FM universe or if it's just not possible.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Xehakoha

Up the points. So a loss would be 0, a draw 3 and a win 6 (if that can be done btw). I was able to have a point system where a loss would give you more points than a win. Was quite a laugh.

5 saat önce, Wolf_pd said:

Up the points. So a loss would be 0, a draw 3 and a win 6 (if that can be done btw). I was able to have a point system where a loss would give you more points than a win. Was quite a laugh.

Thank you for your response. As you say, this system may be more enjoyable than the traditional system. It seems possible according to the mechanics.

However, what I want to do is to create a zero-sum game system, that is, a system where the loser loses as many points as the winner wins. In other words, at the end of the season, when the points of the teams in the league table are added up, there will be "0". 

There is a points deduction in the game for various reasons. Without this, I would think that minus points is not possible, but it seems that it is. 

I think you want to look in the comp.xml file in this section

<!-- points for a win-->
            <record>
                <flags id="field" value="points_for_win" />
                <translation id="name" translation_id="249508" type="use" value="Points For Win[COMMENT - competition stage rules panel, heading]" />
                <flags id="type" value="integer" />
                <translation id="hint" translation_id="344440" type="use" value="Number of points given for a win[COMMENT: advanced editor competition rules, league setup details]" />
                <boolean id="is_optional" value="true" />
                <integer id="default_value" value="3" />
                <integer id="min_value" value="2" />
                <integer id="max_value" value="6" />

</record>

Points for a draw and loss are then the other ones you need in the file.

File can be found in C:\Users\<Your computername>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Editor 2023\skins\editor\format\rule group\advanced

Until Cleiria said he thought it possible via modding the files I didn't even think of it, so credit to you @cleiriato open up my limited thoughts :)

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

I think you want to look in the comp.xml file in this section

<!-- points for a win-->
            <record>
                <flags id="field" value="points_for_win" />
                <translation id="name" translation_id="249508" type="use" value="Points For Win[COMMENT - competition stage rules panel, heading]" />
                <flags id="type" value="integer" />
                <translation id="hint" translation_id="344440" type="use" value="Number of points given for a win[COMMENT: advanced editor competition rules, league setup details]" />
                <boolean id="is_optional" value="true" />
                <integer id="default_value" value="3" />
                <integer id="min_value" value="2" />
                <integer id="max_value" value="6" />

</record>

Points for a draw and loss are then the other ones you need in the file.

File can be found in C:\Users\<Your computername>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Editor 2023\skins\editor\format\rule group\advanced

Until Cleiria said he thought it possible via modding the files I didn't even think of it, so credit to you @cleiriato open up my limited thoughts :)

Do you know where this is for FM19 by any chance? There's no "format" subfolder or corresponding config file (just a basic one)

Edited by themodelcitizen

2 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Do you know where this is for FM19 by any chance? There's no "format" subfolder or corresponding config file (just a basic one)

The file will be in the comp editor. The path above is based on using the package Cleiria has created for the editor in this thread 

Thank you very much for your answers. I didn't know there was such an editor.

This system may apply to the FM21 Editor, I tried the file and instructions mentioned but a solid black screen appeared for the 21 Editor, not worked, maybe because the file is 23 but the editor is version 21.

Is there 21 version of Customize Editor?

Or is it possible another way for FM21

The other way would be to unpack the comp editor.fmf with the resource archiver. You can find the comp editor file here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2021\data

When unpacked you need to look up the mentioned XML file in the format\rule group\advanced path and changed accordinly. After that you have to repack the file and replace your comp editor (make sure to back it up first of course).

On 10.04.2023 at 15:47, Wolf_pd said:

The other way would be to unpack the comp editor.fmf with the resource archiver. You can find the comp editor file here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2021\data

When unpacked you need to look up the mentioned XML file in the format\rule group\advanced path and changed accordinly. After that you have to repack the file and replace your comp editor (make sure to back it up first of course).

Thank you very much. I tried this way and was successful, I was very curious if the mechanics would allow this. Glad to see it was real. Thank you very much again.