3-2-2-3 Pep System. Domestic Treble + Champions League Runner Up.

4fl2hy8fsnsa1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

0slqid5ctnsa1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

s6c1b09fsnsa1.png?width=2626&format=png&

IMG-3330.jpg

Just posted this to Reddit...

This is one of my favourite tactics that I’ve ever made. (First Picture)

Introduction:

Originally started out with a 3-4-2-1 (second picture) after winning the Premier League with it in the previous season, but after watching City beat Liverpool 4-1 recently and watching a tactics video about it, I decided to tweak my formation to try it out. Had brilliant results (3rd picture). Lost the CL Final 1-0 after my CB got sent off in the 23rd minute

I’ve heard a lot about *box midfields* this season with Arteta and Pep using inverted wingbacks to achieve it. Essentially, your left back tucks in alongside your DM in a 4-3-3 to make a square/box shape in midfield which helps create a numerical advantage in midfield. But I found using IWBs wasn’t that effective for me in fm23.

So instead I literally made the in possession system that it should look like.

I then saw the Sky Sports lineup today after running this tactic (last picture), and it's pretty much a carbon copy of what I've made.

👀

TEAM/PLAYER INSTRUCTIONS AND THOUGHTS:👀

1) You can see all the main tactic instructions in the screenshot. But I note that adding the ‘Dribble Less’ instruction really helped make the system much more effective. Also setting both the RCB and the LCB to ‘Stay Wider’ is important. I also set both my wingers to ‘Stay Wider’ and my advanced playmaker to ‘Roam From Position’. Other than that, all the player roles are default.

2) I found using Inverted Wingers instead of Inside Forwards was much more effective too. One of the default instructions for IFs is ‘Cross Less Often’ and there were so many times there was a free man in the box that they didn’t cross it to for a tap in.

3) Advanced Forwards, False 9s, Deep Lying Forwards were also tested for the striker role but I found Complete Forward was most effective, but I think for lower level teams an AF would work fine.

4) One small rant from me on fm23 - I’ve found that using ‘Counter + Counter Press’ is an absolute must this year. I had a lot of success last year using ‘Hold Shape’, but this year Counter and Counter Press helped me win SO MUCH MORE.

5) Against the better teams I would sometimes switch to Balanced mentality, keep the high press but have a ‘Standard’ back line rather than ‘Higher’. Also sometimes it helped in game to set the passing and tempo to be ‘higher + more direct’, if I was losing and needed a goal. If I was winning, shutting up shop by using - mid block, low block, be more disciplined, slow pace down, time waste frequently - instructions.

6) Opposition Instructions - I pinched these from @BJT after seeing it mentioned in a RDFTactics video.

Let me know what you think!

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXnt943H0MAdY3cgyKtG2UdN3RRWfUFn/view