Centre backs - stay wider instruction

Hi all

Quick tactical question. I currently play a 433 with a DM as a half back. My defence has two BPD at centre back, my right back is a FB on attack and my left back is a WB on support. 

Given that both full backs are pretty attack minded, and I have a DM who drops between the two CB, would I benefit from asking my central defenders to stay wider, or would that leave me exposed defensively?

6 hours ago, pyeduke said:

Hi all

Quick tactical question. I currently play a 433 with a DM as a half back. My defence has two BPD at centre back, my right back is a FB on attack and my left back is a WB on support. 

Given that both full backs are pretty attack minded, and I have a DM who drops between the two CB, would I benefit from asking my central defenders to stay wider, or would that leave me exposed defensively?

The halfback will already push them out wide when he drops between the two, I wouldn't use that instruction in this instance.

I've had success using that PI when I'm playing a back 4 with one of the wide players bumped up into the Wingback line.

Edited by Cloud9

check out some of the tactical work done by @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! where he has systems that use the "get wider" instruction w/ a bpd+hb system.

he's found success with it and some lovely football, as well.

it's also a useful player instruction to use when trying to create an arsenal or man city type 325 out of a 433.  in that case you have one fb with "hold position" and "sit narrow" the bpd closest to that fb on cover and then the next bpd on defensive w/ the "stay wider" instruction next to a iwb-s or cwb-s.

the risk in your system will be whether there is too much space left between your centerbacks when your halfback steps forward to help with possession further up the pitch. but just wanted to let you know that your idea is a practical one that can be successfully executed with the player instructions you have in mind.