mark tighter / tackle harder - when is it counter productive (aggression, bravery, strength, pace/acceleration, etc.)

hello, I have a central defender who is exceptionally good at marking and tackling.

He also has pace, strength, anticipation and decisions.

However, his aggression is very low at 8.

For example, when I want him to learn the trait "mark tighter" the coaches doesn't think its a good idea...

So I am wondering whether I should tell him in the tactic screen (for his position/role) to mark tighter and tackle harder. 

My question basically is:   when is it counter productive to tell your players to do these things when some of their attributes don't fit the task, sometimes only one attribute even. But not just that - when might it be better to let the player decide by themselves, for example when they can read the game well - is it then better to not tell him to mark tighter?

Edited by Feron

I would say it is counter productive depending on what opposing players you are coming up against, how do the opposing players stack up against your player? Do the opposition players dribble past your player if you use tight marking? and how often?

Perhaps you may want to limit a DLF space and time on the ball, so check out the DLF's performance before and after you toggle those settings on.

It could be counter intuitive if the DLF/F9 is able to pull your defender out of position creating space for other players, if your player lacks aggression he may not make a tackle attempt which could cause him to be caught out of position.

On 13/04/2023 at 23:22, Feron said:

hello, I have a central defender who is exceptionally good at marking and tackling.

He also has pace, strength, anticipation and decisions.

However, his aggression is very low at 8.

For example, when I want him to learn the trait "mark tighter" the coaches doesn't think its a good idea...

So I am wondering whether I should tell him in the tactic screen (for his position/role) to mark tighter and tackle harder. 

My question basically is:   when is it counter productive to tell your players to do these things when some of their attributes don't fit the task, sometimes only one attribute even. But not just that - when might it be better to let the player decide by themselves, for example when they can read the game well - is it then better to not tell him to mark tighter?

Don't worry about your coaches opinions, they are dumb.

Mark tighter could be fine on him but it'll pull him out of position, so like @Kuchiki it's highly situational when you want to use it. Usually I'd try to man mark a DLF or TF.

I wouldn't use tackle harder in the PIs with your back 4 or their frontline unless you'd like to give away some penalties. 

Edited by Cloud9