Tactics for big finals

I am playing as Celtic in the English Premiership. I am 6 seasons in and doing well. I have won the EPL twice and the league cup 3 times. However out of 3 FA cup finals I have only won 1 and I am 0 from 2 in champions league finals.

Do you change your tactics for big finals e.g move to a low block and change some players from attacking to support or do you stick to your principles and go with the same tactic that got you to the final. I have tried both methods….. Interested to hear what others do….

Personally I'm a fan of treating it like any other match. Why change tactics if your existing tactics have got you that far. Equally, though not part of your question, I never take the option to hold a group meeting before a big match as it never seems to go well.

I wouldnt change your tactic. I just have a tactic for games against very weak teams, tactics for much stronger teams, and tactics for everyone else. I just pick the tactic based on the same parameters. I dont know what would be different about a big match tactic. Is it better? Then why save it only for big matches.

Based on your comments, it seems like you are referring to a team that is better than you, in which case use your tactic for teams that are better than you, but use that tactic any time a team is better than you. When I am in my save in poland where I am a champions league quarterfinalist and am regularly doing invincible domestic seasons, I am going very attacking with 5 upfront, but that is what I do every game in that league. I am not going to bring some players back simply because it is the FA cup final. 

Edited by phantombandit

I would say my team is better than the teams I am losing to in the big finals. For example I lost the FA cup final to Man City who I finished 3 places above in the league and who were without an injured Haaland. In the CL final I lost on pens to AC Milan who I had beat comfortably in the league stage. I lost that one on penalties after conceding a 117th minute equaliser.... Gutted....

If a team is successful using a particular tactic I don't understand why anyone would to switch to an unfamiliar tactic when playing a must win match as the changes may well confuse your own players as well as the opposition. IRL, as a City supporter, I've been so disappointed when Pep has apparently "overthought" things and we've lost a seemingly winnable match for what appears to be strange changes to our tactics. IMO in both FM and RL teams get the best results when they play to their own strengths and not to any perceived weaknesses in the opposition.