Attractiveness

I understand that where your club is based has an impact on the attractiveness of your club to players and staff. Is this based on your stadium location? And if so does this then change when you move grounds or build a new one? My club has moved to a new area to share another club's stadium. Is my attractiveness based on their location?

IRL I think it would be based on the training ground location, which might not always be the same, as that is where a player would spend most of their time. I don't believe training ground locations are a thing though are they?

5 hours ago, Caning the Days said:

I understand that where your club is based has an impact on the attractiveness of your club to players and staff. Is this based on your stadium location? And if so does this then change when you move grounds or build a new one? My club has moved to a new area to share another club's stadium. Is my attractiveness based on their location?

IRL I think it would be based on the training ground location, which might not always be the same, as that is where a player would spend most of their time. I don't believe training ground locations are a thing though are they?

Believe it's just the city/general area the club is normally based in, which would usually include their training facilities. Having some games in a different city, often only for a season, wouldn't tend to affect where players choose to live.

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Believe it's just the city/general area the club is normally based in, which would usually include their training facilities. Having some games in a different city, often only for a season, wouldn't tend to affect where players choose to live.

Yeah I agree. What I am trying to work out is what defines where the club is based. When your club moves ground, are you now based out of the location of the new ground? Is there anything else that ties you to a specific area?

1 hour ago, MBarbaric said:

look it like this: 

would you prefere to live and work in Siberia or in Tuscany?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be this way. Clearly the attractiveness of a location should, and does, have an impact. I am trying to work out how the location of a club is defined. I am wondering whether, if your club moves ground, then does the location of the club (that attractiveness is based on) change as well.

Seems like you're getting lots of answers to a different question. I don't know the answer, but as each club has a location (you can see this one the first page for each club in the editor), I would have said it would be the attractiveness of that place that would be used in game, rather than the location of either the stadium or training centre.

When managing inter Bratislava we moved to a new stadium and I did notice that we moved back to Bratislava. We started in a stadium just outside of Bratislava, but we're based in Bratislava (ie location of club according to first screen in editor). It felt like the game recognised Bratislava as our home. Purely anecdotal but thought I'd share.

Figured I'd help share a bit of light on this one as a researcher. Attractiveness refers to the town/city in which a team is based. It is on a national scale from 1-20, where 1 means the worst possible town/city to live in within the country and 20 being the best. For certain player personalities, it could be an influencing factor. 

Clubs have their cities set as a separate data point away from the stadium. Therefore, a temporary relocation to another stadium should not change this and should not change the attractiveness score to the best of my knowledge. 

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

Figured I'd help share a bit of light on this one as a researcher. Attractiveness refers to the town/city in which a team is based. It is on a national scale from 1-20, where 1 means the worst possible town/city to live in within the country and 20 being the best. For certain player personalities, it could be an influencing factor. 

Clubs have their cities set as a separate data point away from the stadium. Therefore, a temporary relocation to another stadium should not change this and should not change the attractiveness score to the best of my knowledge. 

Thanks! Maybe I worded the question confusingly, but this is actually an answer to the question I meant!

I’ve been playing at a ground in a different city for about 8 seasons now, and it felt like the club was a more attractive proposition than the original city, but sounds like that was only due to success on the pitch.

10 hours ago, phantombandit said:

Changing your stadiums location does not have an impact. It is the country. Factors such as the countries economic status, developed status and tax rate all play a part.

Pretty sure your location within the country counts too. Cities and towns have an attractiveness rating so I would imagine this counts for something.

59 minutes ago, Caning the Days said:

Pretty sure your location within the country counts too. Cities and towns have an attractiveness rating so I would imagine this counts for something.

yea it does. I checked in the editor and the attractiveness attribute is linked to the city, not the region. In that case I do not know if the stadium moving would effect the attractiveness but I would still assume not.

There's a classic book on urban sociology titled "Who's Your City", which is all about cities' attractiveness to knowledge-economy professionals. But I digress... 

Based on my interactions with the Board, better training facilities, better staff, and higher league are big factors of attractiveness. I also noticed that younger kids are often reluctant to move to a different continent... (Remember Inter Milan's Adriano who returned to his native shantytown in Rio because he was homesick...)

14 hours ago, phd_angel said:

There's a classic book on urban sociology titled "Who's Your City", which is all about cities' attractiveness to knowledge-economy professionals. But I digress... 

Based on my interactions with the Board, better training facilities, better staff, and higher league are big factors of attractiveness. I also noticed that younger kids are often reluctant to move to a different continent... (Remember Inter Milan's Adriano who returned to his native shantytown in Rio because he was homesick...)

What do footballers come under? Arts and humanities :lol:?

Thanks, I didn't make it clear in the initial post that I know loads of other factors come into play regarding the appeal of a club. I was specifically looking at cities and towns, which have an attractiveness rating, and I was wondering how that is attributed to a club, whether it is taken from the ground they play at, the training ground, or something else. Sounds like it's separately attributed to the club independent of those other things. Although I do wonder why stadiums have their own location values then. 

Setting location values for the grounds could be used in a different capacity. It may just be useful to distinguish where grounds are so that when it comes to ground sharing for example, the game can work out which grounds are nearby and suitable candidates. I've no idea what it is used for, but there could be a few things that it helps with in the background or it might be something that proves more useful in the future as further features are implemented. 

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

Setting location values for the grounds could be used in a different capacity. It may just be useful to distinguish where grounds are so that when it comes to ground sharing for example, the game can work out which grounds are nearby and suitable candidates. I've no idea what it is used for, but there could be a few things that it helps with in the background or it might be something that proves more useful in the future as further features are implemented. 

Thanks again Santy001! Sounds highly likely.

Do you know what impact, if any, the local region has? Would it help with growth of attendances?

Edited by Caning the Days

I always thought it was based on country and not on city... 

Having said that, I reckon cities in Western-Europe must be fighting each other over decimals, but when compared to developing places there must be a significant amount to consider. Moreover, doesn´t it also matter to how much a player gets paid? I mean, I can´t imagine Mpabbé taking the subway in Paris... Therefore, the system ought to be a bit flawed, no?  

18 hours ago, Caning the Days said:

What do footballers come under? Arts and humanities :lol:?

Thanks, I didn't make it clear in the initial post that I know loads of other factors come into play regarding the appeal of a club. I was specifically looking at cities and towns, which have an attractiveness rating, and I was wondering how that is attributed to a club, whether it is taken from the ground they play at, the training ground, or something else. Sounds like it's separately attributed to the club independent of those other things. Although I do wonder why stadiums have their own location values then. 

If I'm not mistaken, cities do have a score that impacts attractiveness (or the game at large). At least this is how understood something said by  @Daveincid who developed a realistic mod for FM.

PS: I think footballers come under entertainment media business these days...

Edited by phd_angel

11 hours ago, Brasilia88 said:

I always thought it was based on country and not on city... 

Having said that, I reckon cities in Western-Europe must be fighting each other over decimals, but when compared to developing places there must be a significant amount to consider. Moreover, doesn´t it also matter to how much a player gets paid? I mean, I can´t imagine Mpabbé taking the subway in Paris... Therefore, the system ought to be a bit flawed, no?  

I think there have been reported cases of players preferring London over UK cities with perceived lower attraction, (I think Newcastle was part of a story on this once) but it's highly subjective of course and I would prefer the NE over London any day. 

There is defintely an attractiveness score attributed to cities, I was just trying to work out how the club's location is worked out, as my club has moved ground to a more 'attractive' city and wondered if that changed the club's attractiveness. Sounds like it doesn't, thanks to @santy001 Each club has a location listed irrespective of where they play.