4-4-1-1: failing to utilize an Inverted Winger

So, I came up with this formation. On paper it suits almost everyone and I’m getting some decent results, but for some reason the IW constantly fails to perform. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, like blocking his movement routes with other players? Thanks.

TIs: Counter, Slightly Wider, Slightly Higher Tempo

B3C03D65-B8C9-4499-B41F-0CFECC9B4B2F.jpeg

Might be that the Treq is occupying his space?

The CMs probably forces the Treq a bit more to the left and then the WBs forces the IW a bit narrower.

Maybe try the IW on support and put the W on attack on the other side? Could create an overload on the left side and exploit space on the right.

9 hours ago, goalash said:

So, I came up with this formation. On paper it suits almost everyone and I’m getting some decent results, but for some reason the IW constantly fails to perform. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, like blocking his movement routes with other players? Thanks.

TIs: Counter, Slightly Wider, Slightly Higher Tempo

B3C03D65-B8C9-4499-B41F-0CFECC9B4B2F.jpeg

I find IW(a) on the midfield Strada to be underwhelming. They're too far from goal when they're cutting inside to be making attacking runs and to put a lot of pressure on that fullback. Wingers can work great still in that Strada :thup:

WM, DW, and WP can be super as well in my experience! 

For this tactic I think you might be struggling with a 4-4-1-1 setup due to the front players being isolated. The PF is trying to press a backline all by himself, the treq is a flair playmaker who will do very little defensive work and the  wide players are too far back to help the press successfully. The Treq is roaming and moving into channels directly behind the PF(A) who is trying to score for himself: so I think you might just be ending up with only one main goal threat.

Edited by Cloud9

You could try switching your CM's as well. Since your IW will be higher up the pitch, he might benefit from having a midfield option closer to him. Otherwise it wight just be the WB behind or next to him and the defensive midfielder way more down the pitch.

4411 is a solid formation since it can easily switch between 4411  4141 and 4231 and gives the team a lot of tactical potentiao in different circumstances.

TIs

Counter, Slightly Higher Tempo, Slightly higher Width 

From your TI set I can assume you are trying to create a mid block, quick transition tactic? Please correct me if I am wrong. Content below is based on Mid Block strategy

Roles

The first potential issue I see will be the Trequartista, Treq got his iconic movement pattern which is drop deep, receive the ball and attack the opposition. In a middle block, despite his lack of defend contribution, I really will not have a player drop deep, take the ball etc. For a mid block tactic, I want AMC tier to attack the space, I would change Treq to Shadow Striker 

I would swap the CM position, getting CMs closer to IWa and give IWa some support. Also since on the right side now have CMd and Ws, probably it is a good idea to change right fullback to FBA or WBA depend on the situation.

This is the tactic I will start with a mid block 4411 and change slightly during the game

image.png.0d6b8eb3533ac650d7da837e311373e3.png