My attempt at recreating Arsenal in FM

So i have been playing around for the last bit of time in FM trying to recreate Arsenals tactic. Now my attempt isn't a faithful attempt to try and really get it from real life into FM. I thought of my attempt more as what generel dynamics happen when Arsenal play. And then how do i implement some of them, while creating a tactic that will actually perform well in FM. Not saying this is in any way a super tactic or anything, but it did overachieve while producing football resembling some of the things happening irl.

So lets start with the shape. Arsenal for the most part defend in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 shape, from what i've seen. 
So i settled on this shape in game:
3aa442addc78e51ea93fb2f29d679479.png

With this shape we often press in 4-2-4, while not exactly what Arsenal do, gave a very effective high press in game, which i think we can all agree Arsenal have in real life. And when defending more settled we often had a hybrid 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 shape, even sometimes because of Xhaka's attack duty, we sometimes ended up defending in a 4-1-4-1.

Now with the roles as seen in the picture I had to leave things from irl, that I just found impossible to translate in game, or at least the tactic as whole not becoming much worse as result. The biggest issue in terms of roles are with Xhaka. Getting a replica in terms of movements more alike real life with Zinchenko tucking in and Xhaka being higher, i would've wanted him in LCM with a mezzala role. But from what i tried the tactic as whole just become much worse, despite getting the movement from both players i actually wanted to replicate real life. Instead i settled at what you see above.
There was still times though we would achieve the right 3-2-5/2-3-5 structure that Arsenal so often employ when settled in attack.
Ben Whites role is another one where i think a FB-s role would suit better in terms of replicating real life, i just found if i did that Saka was often isolated too much, and he wasn't with WB-s, Maybe if i had a more attack minded RB i would use FB-s instead, could be interesting to see at least.

One thing i was pleasantly surprised by was the interchanges between my striker and left winger, without any added instructions to encourage it, it just happened naturally that they rotated, resembling what Martinelli and Jesus do irl.

Looking at the instructions:
cb1eed75abd7714b18c9af8681bad7fd.png 

These are not necessarily aimed at recreating Arsenal, but more performing in FM. But i would say for the most part there aren't many of them that go against what Arsenal try to do. Run at defence is probably the most questionable one, and if i was to make a faithful recreation i would leave out. I do however often feel that without it, my players often have alot of space in front of them and just doodle around with the ball instead of moving into space, which is what i want from them, hence it's there.

Now for the results:
e063a7ec9881714e36c86c406f2f6c65.pngdae468321f1eacdf9338d4fda18b202c.png

We nearly got a domestic treble, which i am pleased with. The Europa League got tanked on purpose because of schedule just being too crammed and the Prem was the priority. Now 90 goals in the league i am very happy with, but what i am most happy with is the 20 goals conceded. That i think is a very very good defensive record.

Oh also just to end i use these OIs.
81d8a70e93aaf2f8f7fccb5ec6377c2c.png

My replication is fairly similar to yours albeit with some tweaks as i'm still using fm21. Only issue is that the wingers don't stay high and wide and that you can't properly replicate Ben white's role in fm. Both my midfielders also somewhat underperform compared to their ability (both have 196 ca). 

Would potentially tweak to move my dm to dmcr although he'd be less central in the build up but would prevent teams exploiting me in the half space. 

What PI's do you use if any?

image.thumb.png.799543305caeba6075e5781462535834.png

Edited by _mxrky

1 hour ago, _mxrky said:

What PI's do you use if any?

Gk: nothing
Rb: sit narrower
Rcb: nothing
Lcb: stay wider
LB: nothing
Dmr: nothing
Dml: nothing
Amr: nothing
Amcr: Get further forward, Move into channels
Aml: Stay wider
Stcl: nothing

Personally the defensive solidity of the double pivot, is worth it in exchange of trying to have a more faithful replication like you and have the Xhaka role in Lcm.
I have given a bit thought to trying the wide players in ML and MR to see how it influences the play in terms of keeping width longer. Might give it a spin, could maybe also make it even more solid defensively.