Non-League teams

Would you like to see more playable non-league teams in the game?

I support Molesey FC (I actually write their match reports and administrate their forum!) and they play in the Combined Counties Premier Division

I would love to be able to play as them, with accurate personnel etc...

I've already offered my services to research these lower leaues to Championship Manager and they have sent me some forms to fill out

The day I could play as Molesey would be the greatest in video gaming history!! To me at least :p

Anyway what do you think? Worth the extra data or not?

That is the problem, accurate data. SI's greatest asset is the fantastic database they've built up; to the point where even Everton can trust it to be accurate enough as a real life tool. SI could probably very easily get the names and positions of every player down to that level, but abilities and so on would be suspect.

Not only that, but the game itself would need to simulate the amateur play. It would need quite a bit of adjustment to deal with the skill level involved.

"Would you like to see more playable non-league teams in the game?"

Just to be clear, are you asking for specifically English non-league teams? How about Scottish, or Mongolian etc.? There are constantly dozens of live threads on the topic of adding playable leagues to the next version, but for 3 versions now SI have refrained from doing so.

Personally, since the info for many of these teams is in the database already, I'd like the facility to use the editor to add another layer of league to a playable one (or create a new league) - that way everyone would be satisfied.

It's probably not exactly what you are looking for but you can use the editor to put Molesey in the Blue Square South. You can either swap them with a current BSS team or move teams down the ladder to make it more realistic.

It might be a nice challenge to be honest about your team's skill levels and see if you can get them anywhere in the BSS with their current crop of players.

I did add Wimborne Town to the BSS one year but didn't manage to get too far with the game. I'll be honest and say I upped the player's skill levels a bit too.

I have just checked and Molesey are in the FM09 database but with only 3 players at present.

You should have offered to research them for Football Manager rather than going off to the enemy! :p

Anyway, I would like to see some more levels of the English game included, for sure. I think step 3 and 4 has got to be a realistic ambition for the next couple of years.

What SI do need is quality researchers for non-League so I would urge anyone who regularly watches their local step 3 or 4 team (or even lower) to post on the data forum or to contact someone from SI. If the clubs have researchers then there is every chance a future FM will include these leagues but I have the feeling that SI will want to do it exactly right rather than potentially releasing poor or inaccurate data.

Step 5 is another challenge altogether though. Coverage of the league is poor and attendances wouldn't help either (in terms of how many people might be available to provide data on the clubs). Some teams in Molesey's division are getting an average of 30-50 at most and the chances of finding someone for every club are slim (considering that there are still many teams that have hundreds of people watching them that are researcherless at higher steps).

Of course, I would love to see it. I am a big fan of non-League and I think it would be terrific.

However, I think realistically, step 3 and 4 would be a huge achievement and about as far as FM could go. At least then you could do a 'Dafuge-style' challenge with Molesey, holidaying for a year to see them come up!

i agree with the majority of post on here that it'd be difficult to research accurately that many lower league teams. my second team are enfield and i often bump them up to the BSS and give me own (sadly honest) ratings for the current playing staff when i make them in the editor

• SI Staff
Would you like to see more playable non-league teams in the game?

I support Molesey FC (I actually write their match reports and administrate their forum!) and they play in the Combined Counties Premier Division

I've already offered my services to research these lower leaues to Championship Manager and they have sent me some forms to fill out

The day I could play as Molesey would be the greatest in video gaming history!! To me at least :p

Anyway what do you think? Worth the extra data or not?

Have you ever bothered checking the Ryman League thread in the Data Forum? Always asking for research help in that league.

I'm always in favour of deeper league systems, but I know there are research issues and things like Amateur teams further down (although Queen's Park in Scotland and other clubs elsewhere are Amateur so it is implemented to a certain extent already).

Personally I'd rather a 2nd tier in Wales ahead of an nth tier (I've lost track of how deep it would be!) in the English leagues though. I'd love to be able to manage more Scottish teams, but unless the SFA (or whoever is responsible) in real life open up the Scottish league system to promotion from the non-leagues I reckon I'd quickly get frustrated managing in the Highland league with no chance of climbing the league system.

Archived