FM23 - KINGSMEN: Rebuilding Willem II

BethFM

Kingsmen.png.webp.c27a7394a60c47583ce912bd3377554d.webp

For this save I am heading over to The Netherlands, to manage Willem II a team that is something of a fallen giant in Dutch football. I will be in the city of Tilburg in the Noord-Brabant province in the south of the country as you can see on the map below.

800px-Map_provinces_Netherlands-nl.svg_.png.webp.ff65acbcc32259f68cf6b2d615d1d739.webp

King William II (1792-1849) was incredibly fond of the city, he publicly stated it is where he felt happiest. As a consequence of his love for the place, Tilburg thrived under his reign as money was always made available for new infrastructure, farms and jobs and he even commissioned a new palace to be built which he would use as his country residence. The local football club was established on 12 August 1896 as Tilburgia, however, two years later the club was renamed after the King who had shared such a passion for the city and its people. From that day forward, the club became known as Willem II.

willemii-logos.jpg.webp.8fc81c56c5f41ad76e8e694b28b76f92.webp

Willem II are a well-known Dutch football club who have enjoyed some success on the domestic stage many years ago. The club has won the Eredivisie three times in its history, 1915-16, 1951-52 and 1954-55. The first of those titles saw the team go unbeaten throughout the league season, finishing with a goal difference of 50. The Tricolores have won two domestic cups in their time (1944 and ’63), the latter was the same year they made their European competition debut, losing to Manchester United in the first round of the UEFA Cup Winners Cup.

WillemIIManchesterUnited1963b.jpg.webp.88a93a9e8e63a9eae213cc2fe790088e.webp

Willem II vs Manchester United 1963

Screenshot2023-04-25at21_13_31.thumb.png.d3055afa261851f8a613a0b2521d8877.png

The club play their home games at the 14,700-capacity Koning Willem II Stadion (King William II Stadium). Willem II has been something of a football factory in terms of talented young players who have either come through the youth system or were brought in to earn their stripes and gain some key experience of first team football. Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk spent time in the Willem II youth system before moving on to Groningen. Sami Hyypia, another former Liverpool man, is a firm fan favourite at the club as he made over 100 appearances in Willem colours and captained the side to Champions League qualification. Swedish starlet Alexander Isak enjoyed a career-defining loan spell with the club in 2018-19 as he found his goalscoring touch and fired in 13 goals from 16 appearances. Other well-known players who have stepped out in the Tricolores include perpetual Man Utd target Frenkie de Jong, Jaap Stam, Marc Overmars and Earnie Stewart.

Screenshot2023-04-25at21_13_21.thumb.png.e59d42d40d05e7c4c6cc0269c0d2ab38.png

Willem II didn’t enjoy the 2021/22 campaign as they were relegated from the Eredivisie and therefore begin the 2022/23 season in the Eerste Division. That is where we find them at the beginning of this FM23 save. In the long term I would like to go on to make Willem II the dominant force within Dutch football, Ajax have had their fun! We will need to become the ‘best of the rest’ beforehand but it’s nice to be able to dream. Before any of this can happen, of course, we need to get promoted back to the Eredivisie, that is the aim for the opening season. I would like to focus on signing and developing as many Dutch players as possible. I don't want to label this as a 'homegrown only' save because I feel that could lead me to lose interest, so let's just say, there will be more of a priority on signing Dutch players and developing talent via the youth system but we won't limit ourselves.

The plan for this save:

Focus on signing Dutch players when possible

Overthrow Ajax as the dominant force in The Netherlands

Have three homegrown newgens capped at international level

Win a European trophy

Successfully implement chosen tactical style

Screenshot-2022-11-08-at-11_36_28.png.webp.9f39e0d6d36e2fcb23898dcc2c24f976.webp

The 2022/23 Willem II Squad:

Goalkeepers: Konstantinos Lamprou (31), Joshua Smits (30), Connor van den Berg (21).

Defenders: Wessel Dammers (27), Erik Schouten (31), Freek Heerkens (33), Lucas Woudenberg (28), Thibaut Lesquoy (27), Sam Tel (20), Leeroy Owusu (26).

Midfielders: Pol Llonch (30), Jesse Bosch (22), Matthias Verreth (24), Wesley Spieringhs (20), Dani Mathieu (21), Dan Crowley (25), Thijs Oosting (22), Ringo Meerveld (19).

Forwards: Max Svensson (24), Elton Kabangu (24), Joeri Schroijen (31), Nick Doodeman (26), Jazz Hornkamp (24), Michael de Leeuw (36), Jeremy Bokila (33), Jelte Pal (20)

Current manager Kevin Hofland mostly sends the team out in a 4-2-3-1 formation which is something I had thought worth considering when looking at the current crop of players. I have decided upon my tactical approach for this save but to give it a detailed explanation I will be creating a separate post – I don’t want this one to drag on too long.

lineup.png.webp.008fbb8235839c5f33aee4507b3aa9ca.webp

Thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed this introduction, I’m looking forward to getting started with this save

Screenshot-2022-11-08-at-11_37_48.png.webp.6d2573cb03be909eba7aec2cecc15fd1.webp

Will follow with interest. I am a proponent of the 4-2-3-1 DM Wide System as well and have been for many years. I am always interested in how different players can affect your tactics and how people use ppm's, OI's, TI's to get desired results.

Also What happened to the ASSE save?

Beautiful Intro and a league am very fond of having done Heerenveen and starting the happel challenge in Rotterdam last year.

It’s always fun to challenge the big three and there is always lots of talent to go around. Following closely. 

• 1 month later...