Milan 2007 Xmas Tree Formation

Hello! I am working on recreating Ancelotti's renowned "Christmas Tree" formation that he used during his time with AC Milan. Although I have made some adjustments to the original formation to make it more suitable for the FM23 match engine, I am still facing some difficulties, especially when playing against weaker teams or against opponents who also use a narrow formation.

Appreciate any suggestions or tips to help me improve my tactics and make them more effective. Additionally, if you have any recommendations for players who would be a good fit for this formation, such as someone like Ugarte who is similar to Gattuso, Thank you!

lineup-1.png

Capturebfgdfgfd.PNG

Capturefdsfsdfasfa.PNG

which year are you? im going to  do a milan save later this year, maybe recreating the diamond and finding a new Kaka; curious how you got rodrygo and ugarte. im guessing sponsored by a sale of leao and bennacer?

this might sound stupidly obvious (and others may correct me), but you are very narrow. your formation is that by default, and you select to be narrow + focus through the middle. im guessing smaller teams jus pack the middle; going a bit wider will help to drag clear the middle a bit

14 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

which year are you? im going to  do a milan save later this year, maybe recreating the diamond and finding a new Kaka; curious how you got rodrygo and ugarte. im guessing sponsored by a sale of leao and bennacer?

this might sound stupidly obvious (and others may correct me), but you are very narrow. your formation is that by default, and you select to be narrow + focus through the middle. im guessing smaller teams jus pack the middle; going a bit wider will help to drag clear the middle a bit

First year, Rodrygo is on a loan to buy for 52 Million. Impossible to find a new exact Kaka but his attributes aren't that far off. Sold Bennacer and Ugarte was transfer listed at 42M 

Wasn't Oddo more attacking than Jankulowski? Maybe add Overlap Right, or make Oddo a CWB-A?

Also from what I have read, maybe Inzaghi was a Poacher?

GK should be a GK-D maybe.

DM Should be a Regista as well I think.

Edited by mibsweden

Dm must be a regista, then why trying this? Flavor is totally lost if you don't make Pirlo play the Pirlo role.

In a serious note, isn't the Gattuso role a Defend one? He rarely ventured forward and tried risky passes, and he had to work hard, so Pirlo could cover more than actually tackle people.

Cheers,
Bitner 

When you are facing opponents playing narrow formations you can try moving the DLP into the midfield to push your central midfielders wider and adding overlap instructions to push your wingbacks even further forward to try and threaten them more in the wide areas. Changing the midfield roles to Mezzala and/or Carrileiro will push them even wider, but it might not be needed.

If you are worried about leaving an empty space in midfield you can raise your defensive line or ask your defenders to step up more.

Edited by zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz

I try to do a quick save with this tactic every year.  Here's my very rough list of player comps given the age of the 2007 Milan player and the skillset of players today.  Not perfect, but something I'll be looking to piece together soon.

Name Position Age 2023 Players
Inzaghi Poacher 33 Vardy, Benzema, Immobile, Cavani, Lautaro Martinez, Werner, Suarez
Seedorf AM-SU 30 KdB, Enzo Fernandez, Mac Allister, Valverde, Bernardo Silva, Foden, Bruno Fernandes, Pellegrini, Odegaard
Kaka SS-AT 24 Rashford, Foden, Kulusevski, Nkuku, Otavio, Goncalves
Ambrosini BBM-SU 29
Modric, Pellegrini, Caicedo, Valverde, Kante, Frenkie de Jong, Barella, Bissouma,Milinkovic-Savic, Goretzka, Gundogan, Verratti
Gattuso BWM-SU 28 Kessie, Rice, Kante, Caicedo, Guimaraes, Partey
Pirlo REG-SU 27 Rodri, Tonali, Kimmich, Pellegrini, Soler, Gavi, Neves, Brozovic, Jorginho
Jankulovski WB-AT 29 Theo Hernandez, Alex Sandro, Biraghi, Dimarco, Grimaldo, Guerreriro, Gaya
Maldini BPD-DE 38 Alaba, Chiellini, Varane
Nesta CD-DE 30 Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Pepe
Cafu CWB-AT 36 Alexander-Arnold, Dani Alves, Kimmich, Reeze James, Hakimi, Trippier
Dida SK-DE 33 Alisson, Neuer, Navas, ter Stegen, Martinez

The xmas tree looks more like a lopsided diamond though, given that a regista cant be employed in the cm slot (or a bbm in the dm slot)

I havent started on my milan save cause Im really doubting between the two systems:

-Either the xmas tree or diamond, which means getting rid of the wingers

-Piolo's 4231