Um, why does my tactic work?

So normally I'm bewildered as to why my tactics don't work. However, after being sacked mid-season by Blackburn (unfairly might I add), I joined FC Halifax in the National League. They were 13th. I then proceeded to go unbeaten with a record of 21 games played, 16 wins, 5 draws and 0 losses. We finished in 3rd and beat Notts County in the playoffs to get promoted. 6 games into League 2 we're 2nd with an xPTS position of 1st, with the media predicting we'd finish 22nd. I'm still unbeaten in the league after 27 games played! Clearly, my tactic is working.

But I don't know why...

image.png.a81d9d1d2ad977f4edd81323696b6c07.png

No player instructions, we're good at set pieces too so we get a couple of goals from corners but ultimately the tactic is the bread and butter. Opposition instructions are as follows:

image.thumb.png.bbd05d56fe8a59046295f7c100ff01cc.png

So can anyone explain to me why this tactic is so successful? Am I unknowingly a genius or have I accidentally exploited the match engine?

Edited by Jiggins

Many people say basic gegenpressing works well, but I am a bit surprised of your success with that midfield! it seems to me that they would just disappear at times leaving a hole! but hey, if it is working then i am obviously wrong!

Why not? Looks well balanced. Width from the WBs, double pivot which is not overly aggressive but you have the RPM linking up play, 3.5 potential goalscorers (including the IW as the .5). If the players are right for the roles, can't see why it will go too bad.

you are probably right janitor, i just thought that the RPM will roam around looking for the ball and the BWM will search out the ball trying to win it back.  I thought it may leave nobody in CM at times.  But hey ho, it is working so i guess i am wrong!

I think this is encouraged in counter pressing tactics. You're always taking that risk of getting caught, but if it works, it is very effective as in real life. Plus, it's in the DM strata, so I don't think it will be much of an issue.

9 hours ago, Andros said:

you are probably right janitor, i just thought that the RPM will roam around looking for the ball and the BWM will search out the ball trying to win it back.  I thought it may leave nobody in CM at times.  But hey ho, it is working so i guess i am wrong!

The BWM on defend duty holds position, not as much as an Anchor or DLP-d would, but it doesn't headlessly chase around looking for tackles. It's on support duty where you get that kind of behaviour.

The tactic doesnt have anything obviously illogical about it. But i think the opposition instructions help a lot at this level where there is low first touch and composure. Once in the championship or league 1 teams will be able to play through the press and you will be caught out of position