I want to enjoy FM again - without the rage quits.

I've been stuck in the past and played FM 19 for some years now because there is a plug-and-play tactic I enjoy, but it ultimately works so I can focus on the squad building and youth development stuff, which I enjoy a heck of a lot more. I've really tried to play the game the right way by creating a tactic myself to suit my players, and after initially going well, it's gone to the proverbial, and I'm on the brink of being sacked. I beat Bayern, Liverpool and Man United with this tactic; however, a recent defeat to bottom-of-the-table Everton, and it seems like I can no longer create chances!

I've read the tactic-building guides and followed them, but there is always a point where things go awry, and I'm not really too sure how to get out the other end. I know this is being a football manager, and it's realistic, but I don't want to spend time tweaking tactics all the time; it isn't the parts of football manager I enjoy. 

So, I suppose I'd like to know what's wrong with this tactic? I'm sure there is something glaringly wrong, and I'd love to know what it is

On another note, I'd also like to know. I created this tactic at the beginning of the season. Is it just that AI has figured it out? If this is the case, how often do tactics need to be changed? Also - is it counterproductive to completely start a brand new tactic during the season?

I know that the plug-and-play stuff can be a little divisive, but honestly, I want to enjoy the squad-building, and youth development stuff again without having to reconfigure the tactics every 15-20 games.

Screenshot 2023-05-06 134951.png

Hi, so a few things I wonder if they might be affecting results:

You have a high defensive line and a low block.  Usually a low block is for sitting deep and hitting on the counter and you would expect a lower defensive line, whereas a high block us for pressing higher up the pitch so for a high block. 

I am not sure on this next one especially with a defensive role, but the BWM role usually doesnt hold position, this means they go looking for the ball to win it back.  There could be a hole in DM as that player leaves the position.   Maybe switch kante and enzo around?  then kante can do some damage whilst enzo holds position and can spread the ball around?

Another thing i am not sure on but i have questions over is the combination of play out of defense, work ball into the box,  and counter.  I wonder if they are at odds with each other?  Play out of defense and work ball into box suggests a slow build up, whilst counter is looking for more quick transitions.

Anyway, just some thoughts i had, good luck with it!

Thanks Andros - to be honest, all of that makes complete sense. I just didn't have the intuition to see them issues. I actually think the low block was suggested by staff and I didn't change it back. I appreciate the tips!

On 06/05/2023 at 05:50, PukkiParty said:

I've been stuck in the past and played FM 19 for some years now because there is a plug-and-play tactic I enjoy, but it ultimately works so I can focus on the squad building and youth development stuff, which I enjoy a heck of a lot more. I've really tried to play the game the right way by creating a tactic myself to suit my players, and after initially going well, it's gone to the proverbial, and I'm on the brink of being sacked. I beat Bayern, Liverpool and Man United with this tactic; however, a recent defeat to bottom-of-the-table Everton, and it seems like I can no longer create chances!

I've read the tactic-building guides and followed them, but there is always a point where things go awry, and I'm not really too sure how to get out the other end. I know this is being a football manager, and it's realistic, but I don't want to spend time tweaking tactics all the time; it isn't the parts of football manager I enjoy. 

So, I suppose I'd like to know what's wrong with this tactic? I'm sure there is something glaringly wrong, and I'd love to know what it is

On another note, I'd also like to know. I created this tactic at the beginning of the season. Is it just that AI has figured it out? If this is the case, how often do tactics need to be changed? Also - is it counterproductive to completely start a brand new tactic during the season?

I know that the plug-and-play stuff can be a little divisive, but honestly, I want to enjoy the squad-building, and youth development stuff again without having to reconfigure the tactics every 15-20 games.

Switch to a 4-2-3-1 if you want to play two holding midfielders. Havertz might be lacking the strength for proper holdup play. 

If the opposition is beginning to adapt to your tactic, you don't need to bin it. In general as a big side, opposition managers will park the bus against you. You're playing w/counter press and fairly high tempo on. I would recommend dropping the tempo, removing counter press, upping the lines, removing get stuck in, turning on "hit crosses early" and try to control the game a bit more. You'll find more success if you can make changes in the match to your tactic.

Le 06/05/2023 à 14:50, PukkiParty a dit :

Before asking what’s wrong with this tactic : how do you want your team to play ?

Regarding TI’s, it seems that you want to play a low block’ish to take the ennemy team on the break, but play slow when around their goal.

It seems that you want your team to be very active when loosing possession, but with a very tiny screen to do it (low block + high line of engagement)

• 2 weeks later...

First, you said you want to play the game “the right way”. There is no wrong way. How you enjoy playing is how you should play.

That said, if how you want to play is to pick a plug-and-play tactic without regard to how it fits your players and have unalloyed success without making the occasional adjustment, that might be a tad problematic. 

You’ve gotten some good advice above.  I play the 4-3-3 DM a lot, and I like making the DM an anchor man, or, if I’m feeling more aggressive, as a halfback. The great thing about using a halfback is that it allows your center backs to spread out more, providing better coverage of the flanks, and also pushes up into the midfield on attack. But you need to have a player who can play it.

It's much easier to score in FM with an AF (or two) in the team. The game presents so many opportunities to strikers playing for through balls. You just don't get those same opportunities for AML/AMR players looking to do the same. Also, even if your support striker does his job, he'll drop into "poor form" if he doesn't score for a few games in a row, and that will tank his performance for the next few matches.

If you want the game to feel easier, try a 2-striker tactic or at least an AF in a solo striker tactic.