(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson (SAF) Challenge - Brighton Hove & Albion

Coxie84

(FM23) – Sir Alex Ferguson (SAF) Challenge – Prologue

Posted on 4 Dec 2022 by CoxieFM

Can you emulate one of the greatest managers of all time in this challenge…

slide1-1.jpg?w=1024

STARTING THE SAF CHALLENGE ON FM23

Involves you simulating the game on FM23 until the 6th November and take over the club that sit in 19th in the Premier League on that day, pretty much what Sir Alex did did back in 1986 when he took over the reins as Manchester United manager. Also, I’d like to say I am not a Man U, however I have massive respect for Sir Alex – a true legend and one of the greatest managers in the English game. Also I am not a fan of any Premier League clubs so I am not fussed which club I get but you’ll already be aware of the club via the thumbnail for the FM23 series anyway…

On 6th November 2023…

The Premier League table looks like this…

Brighton in 19th place, which I am surprised to see them so far down the league table to be fair as I thought they would have been much stronger and higher up than this. I was thinking it would have been more like Forest, Southampton or Fulham. Which it was so nearly was the latter of the three clubs mentioned but it was a single point separating them both in the table.

The Seagulls record so far in the league is that they have only won twice in the 14 matches played and they have lost nine of them which leaves them five points adrift of safety. Can I rescue the Seagulls or will I get sacked, only time will tell…

image-1.png?w=1024

Breaking News

CoxieFM takes over the reins as the new Seagulls manager on a two years deal and reading the information below only to find out that Roberto De Zebri got sacked 8 days prior to me taking over as manager and the ink isn’t even dry on the contract as I face Manchester United on 6th November, how ironic…

image-3.png?w=1024

The tactic I will be using is below for the first game in charge against the red devils and this is my starting/strongest XI as well for this tactic. The tactic below can be found in this link. In this tactic we look strong in defence and okay-ish in attack, so if I can make it through the season and we survive then I believe I will only need to strengthen the forward line and bring in a top class TF.

image-2.png?w=1024

RULES TO THE SAF CHALLENGE

The rules of this challenge is below.

You need to…

• Stay at one club – The Scotsman managed Man United for 26 years.
  • Aim to bring Youth Players through – “Class of 92“.
  • Persuade long term players to become part of your backroom staff.

Goals of the Challenge…

• Win a Domestic Cup/Trophy within 4 seasons – Ferguson won his first Cup vs Crystal Palace in 89/90.
  • Win a League title within 7 seasons – Ferguson won his first title in 92/93.
  • Win a League and Cup double within 8 seasons – Ferguson won his first double with United in 93/94.
  • Win a League, Cup and the Champions League within 13 seasons – Ferguson won the infamous treble in 98/99.

Total number of trophies that the Scotsman won during his managerial career at Old Trafford…

• Premier League (13)
  • FA Cup (5)
  • League Cup (4)
  • Community Shield (10)
  • UEFA Champions League (2)
  • UEFA Europa League (1) (Replaces the Cup Winners Cup)
  • UEFA Super Cup (1)
  • FIFA Club World Cup (2) (One Replaces Intercontinental Cup)

A few rules to follow when taking this Football Manager Challenge on…

• No usage of the in-game editor – Which I never have on anyway.
image.png?w=1024
  • No buying or selling from/to your direct rival. – This depends on the club I get really. Plus it’s difficult if one of the so called top six club come in and offer you £100m + for a player, I don’t think anyone would reject it in this day and age.
  • No more than 11 signings per season, of which only 8 can play in the first team that season. Depends on the club this rule, If I need a complete rebuild.
  • Spending restrictions. I will have no spending restriction on due to the transfer market is in a different world than the mid 80s through to the 2013 during Sir Alex’s time.
  • Promote as many youth players as you can and have a minimum of 1 player promoted from the youth academy in every single matchday squad. (The likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes & others were all part of the youth system and went on to become legends at the club)
  • Promote at least 1 new player to the youth academy to the senior team every single season. I would say the last two are really joint in some ways and I would have to see what club I get first to see if it’s achievable, well definitely the one with a youth player in the matchday squad.
  • Sacked or Relegation. Don’t know – maybe let the readers decide or I just add myself back as the manager and just carry on the save and add the information onto the style of graphic above which is titled “The Impossible Dream” and complete it within 26-27 seasons with the one club.

My SAF Challenges on previous FMs

I am no stranger to this challenge…

On FM22

I took over as the Wolves manager, which being a Walsall fan, this was interesting as that I was going to managing one of our Black Country rivals. However, I tried my best to win silverware, but the save was cut short due other reasons. The series can be found under the FM22 tab.

On FM21, there was something different…

I used the same rules but The Twist To The Save Was Not In England…

I will be adventured into Europe somewhere for this series and used the “Goals of the challenge” as the baseline for the series and ended up in Italy..

As the Fiorentina manager, but unfortunately I was sacked after three seasons…The series can be found under the FM21 tab.

Final Words

Let me know if you enjoyed this blog. If you do this challenge yourself, then please feel free to tagged me in it so I can see how you get on.

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

See you next time and thank you for reading…

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: November ’22

Posted on 5 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-4.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Can I emulate one of the greatest managers of all time in this challenge. To take on this challenge in FM23 you’ll need to load the Premier League. Then go holiday until November 6th and once there you take over the football club in 19th position on the table and that club for me is Brighton Hove & Albion.

Last Episode: (FM23) – Sir Alex Ferguson (SAF) Challenge – Prologue

NOVEMBER ’22

MANCHESTER UNITED (H)

The ink on my contract wasn’t even dry as I took on Manchester United in the 3pm kick off on the 6th November. It was a nervy first half from both sides and it seemed that United had the upper edge. However, in the second half, I decided to move Mac Allister into the shadow striker role from DM to play alongside Mitoma and March and jackpot happened within minutes of the restart as two quick goals from March on the 51st and 54th minute put us two nil up against the Red Devils with Mitoma and Mac Allister with the assists. Ferguson came off the bench and had an impact within minutes to make it three up to the Seagulls and seal all three points which came me a winning start in this series.

League position: Remain in 19th place.

image-5.png?w=1024

WEST HAM UNITED (A)

We travelled to the London Stadium and faced 18th placed West Ham and it didn’t start well for us and a corner came in which saw the Hammers take the lead in the 11th minute via a Soucek header. On the 58th minute Mac Allister who was brought down in the box by Cresswell had the opportunity to bring us back level, missed from the spot and I thought I was going to lose by second game in charge, however 19 year Moran who came off the bench levelled and rescued a point with virtually the last kick of the game to make it 1-1 and meant I retain an unbeaten start on the south coast.

League position: Still in 19th place.

image-6.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

Only two games in and taken four points but remain in the relegation zone. However, we are only a point from escaping the drop zone with Everton being our next game and win that and surely be out of it.

image-8.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

One of my first staff member signing was an assistant manager and that was Brian Kidd, who has 37 year years experience in the game as manager, assistant manager as well as youth teams.

Kidd was also the assistant manager to Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson from 1991 to 1998. In this role he was pivotal in the development of a group of young footballers known as Fergie’s Fledglings. Lets hope he can work his magic again for the us.

image-7.png?w=1024

Also, signed two former Brighton members to come into my backroom staff at the club. Steve Gritt, who managed them back in the 90s and managed to avoid relegation to the conference on the last day of the 1996-97 season and Dean Wilkins who played for the Seagulls roughly 340 times and later managed them between 2006 – 2008, winning 30 games out of 85, he was in charge for.

• michael-cox_-inbox-7.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-5.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-7.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-5.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: December ’22

Posted on 7 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-6.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Can I emulate one of the greatest managers of all time in this challenge. To take on this challenge in FM23 you’ll need to load the Premier League. Then go holiday until November 6th and once there you take over the football club in 19th position on the table and that club for me is Brighton Hove & Albion.

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: November ’22

DECEMBER ’22

EVERTON (H)

The Toffee’s arrived at the AMEX community stadium outside of the the relegation zone and by the end of the afternoon we had swapped places with them and moved out of the drop zone with a 2-1 victory. Mac Allister was on hand to score our first goal of the afternoon with an accurate finish inside of the area following lovely cross from Mitoma. The lead was short lived with the Toffee’s equalising with a bullet header. However, March was on hand yet again with his scoring boots as we went into half-time 2-1 up and that’s how it finished, a boring second half really but we managed to hang on to take the three points. Three games now unbeaten in the league.

LEAGUE POSITION: Moved into 16th place.

image-11.png?w=1024

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS (A)

We meet the black country side on a soaking wet evening at the Molineux and somehow we leave with all three points and that’s three wins and one draw as I remain unbeaten since taking over on the 6th November. Webster scored with his head from a March corner and if he’s not scoring he’s assisting so far. Wolves equaliser came from an amazing solo run and a good finish but Undav had the last say when he came off the bench and chipped the out rushing goalkeeper in the 84th minute to seal the 2-1 win over the old gold side.

LEAGUE POSITION: Moved into 15th place.

image-12.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

I have only been in charge for four games, unbeaten and got 10 points out of 12 meaning we are currently 5 points clear of the drop zone. Still over half way of the season to go, however I think realistically I think we can survive the drop for sure and potentially finish in the top half of the season.

image-14.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

Just under £60million to spend if I want too in the January transfer window. Wow, that’s a lot of money and never had that much to spend before. I am used to getting in loans and free transfers so far on FM23 saves. I defo need to improve in the Target Forward, Shadow Striker and DLP roles if we want to push on away from the drop zone.

I think I will keep with the Brighton philosophy and sign relatively unknown players and develop them for profit but as that we are near the wrong end of the table and like to push away more, I may have to bring in the odd older player to help us beat the drop zone. Pretty much like a Newcastle in signing Chris Wood’s or get some like in Diego Costa from Wolves to bully their defence.

This is a new add-on just before I drop this content, but I have been told that Ferguson our forward becomes class, so I have decided to pull out of a deal for signing a premier league forward for £30million. I know Ferguson is young but if I get someone in just to act as an impact player then I could get someone in for a few million imstea.

image-10.png?w=724

First signing is Bellingham’s, no peeps not Jude, but Jobe. He joins us on loan for the season with an option to buy, if I want too. I think he will be as good as Jude one day possibly and with the right setup in place for him I feel he will be a good addition. He will be in both our youth setup’s for the second half of the season, let’s hope he turns up. He may play the odd match in the cup or PL in the latter part of the season.

image-13.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

Love this. Hopefully you pull Brighton up to greater heights. On a personal note I would like a variety of signings, for every Cristiano Ronaldo, there is a Park ji-Sung. Getting some older pros could really help you get that experience needed in the team. I would personally recommend someone like Edin Dzeko, Henrikh Mkhitaryan or Olivier Giroud. These types of signings. It would really give your team that boost because along with planning for the long term, you also need to plan for the now. And Sir Alex was exceptional at that.

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: January ’23

Posted on 10 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-8.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Can I emulate one of the greatest managers of all time in this challenge…To take on this challenge in FM23, you’ll need to load the Premier League and then proceed on holiday until November 6th…Once there you take over the club that sits in 19th place in the league. For CoxieFM, that club was Brighton Hove & Albion…

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: December ’22

JANUARY ’22

FULHAM (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

We make it five games unbeaten in the league with a last minute winner, thanks to a powerful close range effort into the top bins in the 90th minute to give us a 1-0 win over The Cottagers by Undav. There’s nothing like a last minute winner after a game we had dominated in shots, XG and possession, however I did think at one point we would get FM’d. The Seagulls are still one of the most goal-shy teams in the PL, scoring just 19 goals in 19 games. Hopefully I can change that and push up the table.

LEAGUE POSITION: Remaining in 15th place.

image-20.png?w=1024

BLACKPOOL (H) – FA CUP 3RD ROUND

We enter in the FA Cup in the 3rd round and welcome the Seasiders from up north to the south coast. I made five changes to the starting XI from the league game, so I could work out the better back-ups in the squad as I have been playing our strongest XI since taking over in November. March and Mac Allister were both on the scoresheet in the 3-0 win, but the first goalscorer was Ferguson. A player that I didn’t really know of to be honest and was looking at replacing until a few fellow FMers said he becomes a good player. Only 18 at the moment and I think it will be a good player to come off the bench for the rest of the season and maybe in a season or two will be more a starting target forward.

image-17.png?w=1024

TOTTENHAM (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

That was a bitter taste losing to Spurs 2-1 at the AMEX. Our best performer was Webster who got his first goal of the season with a bullet header from a corner but goals either side of our goal condemned me to my first defeat in charge. That defeat was our three defeat in five league games.

LEAGUE POSITION: Dropped to 16th place.

image-19.png?w=1024

LIVERPOOL (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Goals Galore at Anfield…Captain marvel Dunk got us off to a flying start under a minute with a header, but we were soon behind after 25 minutes. However, a little spoiler next as new signing and making his debut for the Seagulls, João Pedro scored a brace to put us ahead but in the dying minutes of the first half Liverpool scored and both teams went into the break level at 3-3. However, we did succumb to our second defeat in a matter of days in the league as the reds scored two goals in the second half and we lost 5-3.

LEAGUE POSITION: Stayed in 16th place.

image-21.png?w=1024

ASTON VILLA (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

We went behind to a soft penalty at Villa Park, that shouldn’t have been given, Mac Allister clearly got his man then the ball, lol. However, our 18 year old target forward Ferguson was on hand to level it up before half-time with a superb volley and then March in the dying moments make sure we went into the break 2-1 up. On loanee Colwill from Chelsea, who I might look at securing permanently near the end of the season sealed the victory with a thumping header to make it 3-1 against the west midlands side.

LEAGUE POSITION: Moved to 14th place in the league.

image-16.png?w=1024

BRADFORD CITY (H) – FA CUP 4TH ROUND

The Seagulls were empathic victors against the Bantams in a 6-0 win at the AMEX. A brace from that target forward Ferguson got us got to winning ways. Mac Allister scored the first goal of the day before the likes of Gilmour, Gross and captain marvel himself Dunk made sure we were in the hat for the next round of this season’s FA Cup adventure.

image-18.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

Moved into 14th place in the league and now 8 points clear of West Ham and Everton who sit in 18th and 19th places respectively. There are 16 league games remaining and I feel we can at least finish in the top half of the table. We are only 8 points behind Aston Villa who sit in 7th place. Dare to dream of European football in the first season, probably just who knows…

image-15.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

I was asked the question my a fellow content creator (@FlatBck4) over in a discord channel “Are you keeping to their transfer philosophy, like signing relative unknowns players and developing them for a profit? Answer to that question is hell yeah!! I like to find hidden gems on FM.

Also, someone mention that Sir Alex would bring in older players for experience to help out like when Van Persie joined and they won the league that year etc. Yes, I will look at bringing in experience when needed.

So, now the busy January and my first transfer window and take a look who I brought into the club to strengthen the Seagulls.

First three players are for XI…

GIORGI MAMARDASHVILI – £24.5M FROM VALENCIA

I brought in the Georgian International goalkeeper as competition for Sanchez and looking to bring him in slowly and take over the current Seagulls number 1 next season. He did have a horrid debut letting in five goals in the match against Liverpool. Maybe, the worst move so far in this series I have made. But I have high hopes for him.

image-23.png?w=1024

JOAO PEDRO – £30M FROM WATFORD

Just like Brighton have done in real life. I decided to splash the cash by signing the Watford player for the same amount £30M. I will be looking to play the player in the Shadow Striker role mainly but will push him up front from time to time. He did score a brace on his debut against Liverpool, so signs are looking good for this player.

image-24.png?w=1024

JONAS WIND – £35.5M FROM WOLFSBURG

The record signing so far, is the Danish International forward Jonas Wind. I won’t lie, I think I am taking a gamble in this forward, as I need depth as I have been informed by another that Evan Ferguson becomes class on FM, but no right away and Welbeck & Undav are in my eyes impact sub players are starters. I did have the likes of Diego Costa (£1M) and Raul Jimenez (£30M) ready to sign for the Seagulls but I thought sod it, love a gamble.

image-25.png?w=1024

Next five players are youth and future/potential first team squad…

MAXIM DEKKER – £5M FROM AZ

This young Dutch defender was wanted by the likes of PSG and Man City, so I thought why swoop in, lol and sign him. Plus as well he has a four and half star potential. This deal and like the other four below aligns perfectly with the Seagulls objective to sign young plyers, under the age 22.

image-26.png?w=1024

ISSAHAKU ABDUL FATAWU – £3M FROM SPORTING CP

Another four and half star potential and already capped 12 times for Ghana. This 18 year Shadow Strikers will fit in nicely with my tactic and hoping he can hit the ground run later on in the season or start of next season in the cup competitions. He was the first of four deadline deals as I went on a spending spree.

image-27.png?w=1024

FABRICIO DIAZ – £2.5M FROM LIVERPOOL FC (URU)

The Uruguayan midfielder has already made over 100 appearance for Liverpool FC before sealing a move to the south coast of England. He was rated highly in the scouting report and yet another four and half star potential and still likely to improve as a player too.

image-28.png?w=1024

GONCALO ESTEVES – £1.6M FROM SPORTING CP

I didn’t finishing raiding Portuguese club Sporting CP, as I looked to bring right back for Esteves. He will initially be heading into our under 23 squad for the remaining of the season. Four start potential and back up to Lamptey.

image-29.png?w=1024

NICOLAS SIRI – £1M MONTEVIDEO CITY TORQUE

The second Uruguayan to hit the shores of the south coast of England on deadline day and another player going into the under 23 squad. But, I can see him moving into the first team squad maybe next season to be back up back up to the likes of Ferguson and Wind as I will look to move the likes of Welbeck and Undav in the summer but don’t tell them yet.

image-30.png?w=1024

IN THE SUMMER

ALEX SCOTT

This player came up in one of my scouting reports and also I believe two other FM content creators recommended Alex to me. So, I had to sign him. He will be joining the club in the summer and I believe he will be loaned back to them for the season too.

image-31.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: February ’23

Posted on 11 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-10.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Can I emulate one of the greatest managers of all time in this challenge…To take on this challenge in FM23, you’ll need to load the Premier League and then proceed on holiday until November 6th…Once there you take over the club that sits in 19th place in the league. For CoxieFM, that club was Brighton Hove & Albion…

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: January ’23

FEBRUARY ’23

SOUTHAMPTON (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

We faced our south coast rivals in a goals galore fixture that saw the Seagulls beat the Saints 5-2 at the AMEX. The highlight of this match was a hat-trick by Mac Allister. Mitoma got us off to a flyer with a header within 2 minutes before Mac Allister got his three goals including one from the penalty spot. The Saints did score in the first half and it ended 4-1. They add another one at the midpoint of the second half before Siri got his first goal for the club, on this debut coming off the bench to seal the 5-2 win.

LEAGUE POSITION: In 11th place.

image-32.png?w=1024

MANCHESTER CITY (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

I didn’t expect anything else but defeat to City in this game to be honest. The only highlight was Wind scoring on his debut either side of the City Viking. Lost 3-1, but there were some positives from this game. Maybe, think I a different tactic against the stronger sides maybe.

LEAGUE POSITION: Dropped down to 13th place.

image-33.png?w=1024

FULHAM (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Two points dropped against the bottom side Fulham…and we were left disappointed after being held 1-1. The Cottagers did take the lead, thanks to their Serbian forward but good old Mac Allister was on hand with a thunderous strike to rescue a point. We have been performing above expectations now and find ourselves in 15th place. Remember when I took over we were in 19th place.

LEAGUE POSITION: From 13th to 15th place in the league.

image-34.png?w=1024

CRYSTAL PALACE (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Back to winning ways at the AMEX as the Seagulls were to strong for the Eagles…Them Seagulls are vicious birds…A brace from Mac Allister and then goals from Mitoma and Wind sealed the 4-0 win. Good to see, our £35m signing getting two goals in three games for the club. Let’s hope he can continue on for the remaining fixtures as we look to secure safety this season.

LEAGUE POSITION: Moved up one place to 14th.

image-35.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

We now have 32 points from 26 games and only 8 points away from that magical 40 point mark. We are however, now 13 points away from the drop zone and only 5 points off European place. It is tight in that midtable places especially when you have the likes of United, Wolves & Brentford in the mix.

image-36.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: March & April ’23

Posted on 12 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-12.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: February ’23

MARCH ’23

LEEDS UNITED (A) – FA CUP 5TH ROUND

Unfortunately Leeds United got the better of us and we crash out of the 5th round of the FA Cup losing 3-1. Wind got our only goal of the game and we were poor but now, I can at least concentrate all of attention on the league.

image-37.png?w=1024

NOTTINGHAM FOREST (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Dominated the game from start to finish with the most shots, passes completed and better possession against a struggling Forest side and we only won by a goal to nil, thanks to a João Pedro effort in the 79 minute. There might be a danger that we may start getting a nose bleed if we keep going up this league table guys and gals…

LEAGUE POSITION: The only way is up baby, into 10th place in the league.

image-38.png?w=1024

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Buzzing that we beat the Dingles, Wolverhampton Wanderers, but not by the 6-0 score-line in real life in recently but I will take a 3-0 win over the West Midlands side who travel back with nil points which sees them slipping down the table. A Mitoma brace and Wind with the goals. The Japanese midfielder first goal was a peach as he chipped the out rushing Wolves goalie after 13 minutes. The other two goals were from defensive errors which I will take all day long, thank you very much peeps.

LEAGUE POSITION: Move one place up the table to 9th.

image-39.png?w=1024

EVERTON (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

A strike from Ferguson boosted our hopes of qualifying for the Europa League after a 1-0 win over the Toffees on a wet afternoon in Liverpool. The target forward first start in a few games got us off to a flyer after 9 minutes. It went bad for the Toffees as one of their players sees red for a naughty tackle.

LEAGUE POSITION: Up to 6th place…

image-40.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

Oi, Oi FM fans…From 19th place on the 6th November 22, to now currently in a spot for European football next season. There are only 9 games remaining however we still need to play some of the big clubs yet. At the moment I will take anything above 11th place as that were Sir Alex finished in his first season in charge of United.

image-41.png?w=1024

APRIL ’22

WEST HAM UNITED (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Two goals from Argentinian midfielder Mac Allister moved the Seagulls into contention for Europa League qualification following a 3-0 win over the Hammers at the AMEX. Joao Pedro sealed the victory with a well struck effort in the 90th minute but it was the Mac Allister show really his performance was world class to be honest.

LEAGUE POSITION: Remain in 6th place.

image-45.png?w=1024

MANCHESTER UNITED (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Only really thing to say about this game was, we were ***** to be honest and Diaz did give us a glimmer of hope getting a goal back to make it 2-1 but United were to strong and added two more goals meaning we lost the match 4-1. To top it off, Fernandes got a hat-trick…

LEAGUE POSITION: Still 6th.

image-46.png?w=1024

NEWCASTLE UNITED (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

We were denied by the Magpies at St James Park, drawing the match 1-1. Old Webster lad scored but it the wrong net, you donut to give Newcastle the lead, but lucky for us Moder, who made his first start for me coming off the bench since I joined the club and coming back from a long term injury leveled it up with a well placed shot.

LEAGUE POSITION: Down one place to 7th.

image-47.png?w=1024

CHELSEA (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Managerless Chelsea, who had sacked Potter a few days…I’m sure this has happened in real life, feel for that Potter lad. Oh well, The Seagulls won the match 1-0, thanks to Wind’s towering header shortly after the restart. We have now made it four wins out of our last five home league games.

LEAGUE POSITION: Up to 6th place.

image-48.png?w=1024

LEEDS UNITED (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Revenge, as we batter that Damned United side of Yorkshire 4-0 with four different goalscorers. Wind, Pedro, Ferguson & March with the goals as we replaced Leeds in the league table too.. The Seagulls are on course to record our highest-ever league finish. Our current record being 9th in the Premier League.

LEAGUE POSITION: Leap frogged Leeds to take 5th place.

image-49.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

Europa League qualification is looking likely and with only four games to go, it’s defo in our hands.

image-42.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

OUTGOING IN THE SUMMER

The first to be leaving the club in the summer window as I looked to reduce the wage bill with players that are over 30. Good servant, and wish Veltman all the best as he joins Ajax for £15.5M which I think it pretty good business for the 31 year old defender.

image-43.png?w=1024

The second player out the door will be Undav. He will be joining German side Union Berlin for £3.9M. Another good bit of business.

image-50.png?w=1024

WONDERKIDS

Five of our players have made it on this year’s wonderkid list, with the only one being Dekker who I signed in Jan ’22. The rest were at the club when I took over and used during that time a part from Kozlowski who I might throw into the first team next season.

image-44.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

On 07/05/2023 at 11:05, Sahajpal Oberoi said:

Love this. Hopefully you pull Brighton up to greater heights. On a personal note I would like a variety of signings, for every Cristiano Ronaldo, there is a Park ji-Sung. Getting some older pros could really help you get that experience needed in the team. I would personally recommend someone like Edin Dzeko, Henrikh Mkhitaryan or Olivier Giroud. These types of signings. It would really give your team that boost because along with planning for the long term, you also need to plan for the now. And Sir Alex was exceptional at that.

I will look into getting in experience in the summer transfer window.

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: May ’23 & “End Of Season Review”

Posted on 14 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-16.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: March & April ’23

MAY ’23

BOURNEMOUTH (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Points dropped against a side in the drop zone, losing to the Cherries 1-0. We were very poor and didn’t take our chance and paid the price. They get relegated in the end but still for us chasing that European football it was three points dropped.

LEAGUE POSITION: Still in 7th place.

image-51.png?w=1024

LEICESTER CITY (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

Losing out to the Foxes hurt us because they are also chasing European football next season and lost 2-0 at the AMEX. Another poor performance from the boys to be honest and are we letting our European football hopes slip out of our hands?? Especially when we have to face top of the league in the very next game.

LEAGUE POSITION: Dropped to 8th place, out of the last European place.

image-52.png?w=1024

ARSENAL (A) – PREMIER LEAGUE

We traveled to London to face the league champions Arsenal in a game that I thought we were going to lose our three game in a row, however even though we were batter throughout this game, we managed somehow get a point in a 0-0 draw. Meaning the chance of European football is in our own hands going into the final game of the season.

LEAGUE POSITION: Back into 7th place.

image-53.png?w=1024

BRENTFORD (H) – PREMIER LEAGUE

In front of a packed AMEX, we battle to win 2-1 against the Bees on a warm afternoon and buzzing with that win because it means we are in the hat for European football next season in the qualifying rounds of the Europa Conference, I believe. Our Danish forward Wind scored a brace in this fixture and with that brace, he has scored 8 goals in 16 games in the league since joining in the January window.

LEAGUE POSITION: Staying 7th = Off to Europe lads, get ya passports ready!!!

image-54.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

Slipped into the final European football place on the last day of the season thanks to beating Brentford. If we hadn’t have beaten them then Chelsea would have taken that place instead. Buzzing to say the least, as I took over the Seagulls on the 6th November when the club sat 19th in the table and to finish in 7th to class. The tactic I am using is doing the trick. See you in Europe next season FM Fans…

image-55.png?w=1024

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Please scroll and take a look FM Fans…

• michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-8.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review.png?w=
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-2.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-3.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-4.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-5.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-6.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-7.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-8.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review.png?w=
1 / 8

OFF THE PITCH

Board have set the initial transfer budget of over £36M to spend which I will gladly spend in the summer months and might have spent some of it beforehand…

image-56.png?w=1024

OUTGOING

Pascal Gross is the third player departing the Seagulls in the summer along with Undav and Veltman. Leaving for Norwich for £5M with £2.5M going into the transfer kitty. That’s a total of £12.55M in three sales from the Seagulls and will be invested during the summer.

image-59.png?w=1024

Also, the following below have departed the club. The only player I regret is letting Carl Rushworth go but I will get £8M for him in total. Also, Danny Welbeck has left to join West Brom on loan for the season. There are a lot of deadwood and young players on massive wages who do not have the potential and trying to shift off the books.

image-61.png?w=838

INCOMING

Investing in youth players and I have three players coming in during the summer in the following positions.

• (Midfielders) Adam Wharton – £14M from Blackburn Rovers – Another player who had gave up in my scouting reports and he has the potential.
  • (Goalkeeper) Dominik Livakovic – £8.5M from Dinamo Zagreb – Didn’t you buy a goalkeeper in January?? Yes, I did but I realised that Livakovic had a release clause of £8.5M and had to get him in.
  • (Forward) Facundo Torres – £7.5M from Orlando City – Three Uruguayan player to joined our club since taking over as manager. I saw a fellow FM content creator, sign him and I thought why not.

It is likely I have finished signing younger players for the future / first team squad now and likely to concentrate bringing in some experience to the club like Sir Alex Ferguson did whilst in charge. I’m thinking of raiding the free transfer market for a couple of defenders if the right ones come available.

• michael-cox_-inbox-4.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-2.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-4.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox.png?w=1024

But, it hasn’t stopped…

Hector Bellerin and Becir Omeragic join the Seagulls on free transfers. The latter was wanted by the likes of Spurs, Milan and Ajax, never heard of him but if clubs like that are going for him then why not. Bellerin is a solid back-up to Lamptey or will start if I move Lamptey onto the left side of defence.

image-60.png?w=1024

The cheque book is out again…

Spending nearly £40M on two defenders…Strahinja Pavlovic and Anthony Rouault from Red Bull Salzburg and Toulouse respectively. Both defender were being chased by the top clubs around Europe. Rouault comes in as the best defender at the club.

michael-cox_-inbox-8.png
michael-cox_-inbox-10.png

Buzzing to have signed a new two year deal with the club…

image-58.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: Preseason & August ’23

Posted on 20 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-18.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: May ’23 & “End Of Season Review”

PRESEASON

Kept in simple and played three Scottish team and they were Hearts, Motherwell & Celtic which the latter became Dunk’s testimonial match as the players been at the club for 15 years. Top effort that Lewis.

• Hearts 4-1 (W) – Wind x3 & Rouault.
  • Motherwell 5-1 (W) – Ibrahimovic x2, Mac Allister, Kozlowski & Omeragic.
  • Celtic 4-0 (W) – Torres x2, Mitoma & Wind.

Three wins out of three.

AUGUST ’23

EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE

Fourth Qualifying Round 1st & 2nd Leg

AaB (H)

A great start to our European adventure by beating the Danish side 3-1 at home to give us the advantage heading into the 2nd leg a week later. Mac Allister, Wind & Rouault all scoring on their European debuts for the Seagulls…

brighton-v-aab_-review.png?w=1024

AaB (A)

A first leg win proved a successful foundation for the Seagull, who secured a 7-1 aggregate victory over following the 4-0 win at the Aalborg Portland Park. Mac Allister and Wind scored for the second European game running with Kozlowski and Gilmour converting the other two goals in this fixture. With that we now enter the group stages of the competition and you’ll have to find out who we get drawn against…

image-68.png?w=1024

PREMIER LEAGUE

NORWICH CITY (H)

First game of the second season, we faced newly promoted Norwich at the AMEX which ended in defeat for the Canaries with debut goals from Torres and Ibrahimovic in the 2-0 victory. A former player Gros was on the losing side following his summer move to the Norfolk club. Normally, I find that former players usually score again me, but not today Pascal.

image-64.png?w=1024

LIVERPOOL (A)

We headed up north to side the red half of Merseyside and somehow we came away with a point as Liverpool were the better side. Japanese shadow striker Mitoma was on hand to score in the 1-1 draw. To top it off, Livakovic saved Salah’s penalty too.

image-67.png?w=1024

QUEENS PARK RANGERS (H)

Back to back wins over the newly promoted sides this season by beating London based side QPR. Mitoma had a hand in two of the goals with Gilmour missing a penalty in the first half. Who the Jeff, let Billy take a bloody penalty. Oh, me!! Goals from March, Wind, Torres and Ibrahimovic sealed the 4-1 win over the R’s.

image-65.png?w=1024

LEICESTER CITY (A)

Just a boring 0-0 game against the Foxes. However, this does mean we are unbeaten in four league games but really it’s six games unbeaten in all competitions.

image-66.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

A good start to the second season in this series and hopefully my first complete season. Normally in FM, I get second season syndrome. Also, found out whilst writing this that the board expectations is to avoid relegation, really. I was more gunning for top 6 this season and improve on our 7th place finish last season.

image-62.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

TRANSFERS IN

Further five players in the door at the AMEX, making it 11 players in total during the off season and kept within the rules of this challenge. Brought in some experience with the likes of Bellerin and defo in ZLATAN, like Sir Alex would have done back in the day. The big Swede has come in to be an impact sub but has started brightly and is sometimes in the starting XI and chipped in with a couple of goals too. The other three players are more squad rotation players and likely feature in the cup competitions.

image-69.png?w=832

STAFF OUT

If you get the chance somehow of bringing in top staff members then do it and make sure you but them on long term contracts. Made £3.1M alone on two former members that left the AMEX to join City and Arsenal. Wish them luck on their new careers paths and thank you for the monies!!

image-63.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: Sept & Oct ’23

Posted on 23 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-20.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: Preseason & August ’23

SEPT & OCT ’23

CARABAO CUP

Hello second round, goodbye second round as we lost on penalties to Forest after a 1-1 draw. I knew we were going to be knocked out of this competition as that we had 28 players from on international duty. I don’t know how many Forest had away but well done for beating us 5-4 in the shoot-out.

image-72.png?w=1024

PREMIER LEAGUE

The month of September was an unbeaten run for the Seagulls beating the likes of Newcastle, Southampton, Forest and Chelsea. Old man Zlatan was on target not once but twice in the 3-0 win over the Magpies with March getting the first goal in that match. The south coast Derby against the Saints saw us dominate the game by beating them 3-0 on a summer afternoon. Pavlovic scored his first for the club with Zlatan and Mitoma getting themselves on the scoresheet too, all the goals were scored in the first half. It was goals galore at the County ground when we played Forest with 8 goals being scored and luckily in our favour too, 5-3 victory. Wind got his scoring boots back on with a superb brace and the likes of Pedro, Mac Allister and Torres with the other goals in that fixture.

However, the month of October wasn’t as kind to the Seagulls as we lost 3 out of 3 games in the Premier League. Overall, we lost 4 out of the 5 in all competitions to be honest. But, it’s the league section we are in. Lost to Wolves 2-1 narrowly losing to Arsenal 1-0, the standard Gunners score-line and then losing 2-0 to Manchester United.

EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE

We started our European group stage form, in fine form beating Dnipro-1 6-2 at the AMEX with six different scoring on the night. Ferguson, Scott, Dunk, Mitoma, Pavlovic and Mac Allister who also missed from the spot during this game too. But happy with the starting victory, however the second match didn’t go our away as we slipped to a 1-0 defeat to FC København which I am slightly pissed off with. Should have done better but we made it right against Aris by beating them 2-1. They did take the late early on but Ferguson and Mitoma both scored to seal the win.

COMPETITION OVERVIEW

In the Premier League, happy with the start and also happy that we are currently in the European places. It would be nice to stay in touch and hopefully push for a Champions League place but as long as we are in some sort of European football next season. Europa Conference League, still have three games to play for but I am confident that we will qualify into the knock out rounds. The domestic cup are FA Cup, still not entered but we are out of the Carabao cup.

image-71.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

FUTURE SIGNING…

One is inbound to the AMEX in January and that’s Callum Doyle, defender from Man City and the other in the summer is Oumar Solet.

image-70.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: Nov ’23, Dec ’23 & Jan ’24

Posted on 27 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-22.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: Sept & Oct ’23

NOV ’23, DEC ’23 & JAN ’24

FA CUP

We travelled to Craven Cottage in London to face Fulham in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. It was such a boring first half with hardly any chance but soon after the restart Pedro got the Seagulls off with a thunderous strike before Mac Allister double the scoreline minutes after from the spot. The victory was sealed in the 80th minute by Ferguson with the match ending 3-0 to us which sends us into the 4th round to face another London club, Brentford.

image-73.png?w=1024

EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE GROUP A

We finish the group stage on top by winning our final three games of the group stage. Firstly beating Aris 4-0, then revenged the previous defeat to FC København by beating them 3-1 this time in face of our fans at the AMEX and the final game was the 4-1 win over Dnipro-1. Mitoma had his scoring boots on and got a brace with Pedro and Torres getting the goals in the Aris match. In the fixture against FC København, a rare Caicedo goal and a brace by Wind and then the Dnipro-1 game, there were four different goalscorers with Wind, Ferguson, Torres & Mac Allister finding the back of the net.

image-75.png?w=425

PREMIER LEAGUE

During this period 15 league games were played.

Won: Sunderland 1-0, Leeds United 2-0, Spurs 2-1, Crystal Palace 3-0, Chelsea 3-1, Nottm Forest 3-0, Arsenal 2-1, Wolves 1-0 & Aston Villa 2-0. To be honest there were some of these games that I was shocked with the result. Beating the likes Spurs, Chelsea and the Arsenal, to me that means that the club is defo heading in the right direction of more European football.

Draw: West Ham United 2-2, Brentford 2-2 & Aston Villa 2-2. Love a 2 all draw me, lol.

Lost: Man City 1-2, Leicester City 1-2 & Liverpool 0-1.

LEAGUE TABLE

Chasing a Champion League spot as we remain in 3rd place with 12 games to go..

image-74.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

(FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: Feb ’24 – May ’23

Posted on 28 May 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-24.jpg?w=1024

SAF CHALLENGE

Last Episode: (FM23) Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge: Nov ’23, Dec ’23 & Jan ’24

FEB ’24 – MAY ’24

FA CUP

Well, we exited the 4th round of this season’s FA Cup competition losing 3-0 to London side Brentford. Wonder if Toney put a bet on this result…Too soon???

image-76.png?w=1024

PREMIER LEAGUE

The final run of the season was very poor in my eyes and we defo, threw away a top third/fourth place as we lost six out of the final 12 games. Which saw us go on a five game winless streak. We did managed to stop City beating us and drawing against them 2-2. But it was the defeats what hit us hard, losing to Norwich and QPR with the latter getting relegated in their first season back in the PL. The Rs were poor but not as poor as Derby once were. We drew three games and only won three too. Happy with the win against relegated Sunderland, another side who went back down. Also, buzzing to beat Southampton and Spursy, lol…

image-80.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TABLE

We end the season in 5th and back in Europe, but this time we will be in the Europa League.

image-77.png?w=1024

EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE

So, having topped the group, we headed to Turkey to side Trabzonspor in the round of 16. It was a rocking and nervy first leg in Turkey drawing 1-1, however the return leg at the AMEX was a different story which saw us win 5-0. A result I was shocked to be honest but hey ho, off to the QFs we go. We travel to Rome, to face Lazio in the QF’s and win the first leg 1-0 and then back to the south coast we win by the same score-line, winning 2-0 on aggregate. Back to Italy, in the SF as we face this time Udinese and we win the first leg by a goal to nil. However, the second leg at the AMEX, was a nervy affair as Udinese raced to a 2-0 lead on the night, but strong words and a cool head, saw the Seagulls hit two goals in the second half to send us through to our first European final appearance in our history winning 3-2 on aggregate.

So…the FINAL

It was going our way, with Mitoma scoring early on, however Caicedo had another idea with a professional foul and that was the turning point of the game and we lost the final 2-1. Gutted as we were the better side!!

image-78.png?w=1024

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Take a scroll through peeps…

• michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-8-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-1.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-2-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-3-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-4-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-5-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-6-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-7-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-8-1.pn
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-1.png?
1 / 8

FINAL WORDS