Moving USA and Canada to Europe

phantom1998

Yes. Maybe, and yes.

You need to edit a file using the resource archiver to allow you to edit the continent field in the editor. There should be a guide on how to do that around here somewhere.

The European club competitions adjust for extra countries. However the 2024 format change has a hard limit on how many countries have qualifying places. IIRC there are 54 nations in UEFA (excluding russia) and it's capped at 54. So that means the 2 countries at the bottom of the coefficient rankings in 2024 will permanently miss out on European places (since having no places will mean they never earn coefficient points and can never move back up the rankings). If you don't mind having countries like Andorra or San Marino permanently missing out then it shouldn't be an issue. Do make sure your countries aren't in the bottom 2 of the UEFA coeffients at that time though, otherwise you'll be the one to miss out.

International competitions may need some editing. I think the WC qualifiers will adjust fine (I don't use default internationals though, so can't say for sure), the Euro quals have a maximum number of teams and are linked to the Nations League. The Nations League uses fixed teams. So you'd need to edit the Euro quals to account for 2 extra teams, and add the teams to the registered teams list of the Nations League and change the format to account for them. You could also move 2 countries out of Europe to account for the extra 2 and not need format changes, but since the Nations League uses preset teams you'd still need to edit the team list there to swap those countries out for the new ones.

Although the bigger potential issue is how it would affect North American competitions. I've heard they can be pretty buggy at the best of times, so removing 2 of the major countries could negatively impact those. I'm not sure moving the countries out of NA would even remove them from their competitions, so you may have the US/Canada playing both the Euros and the Gold Cup for example. Or teams participating in both the UCL and CCL.

I would say that trying to move the USA and Canada to Europe is one of the more complicated tasks.

I did have a go in FM21, it was semi-successful, this method wont work in FM23 due to the changes in UEFA and AFC

but as with all editing of existing competition it becomes tricky.

The main one here is the connection between the CONCACAF competitions and the MLS, unlike how UEFA competitions are coded, the CONCACAF ones pull directly from the national competitions. So no matter what continent the USA is in the game will stick the teams in the CONCACAF club competitions.

And that's not even mentioning the issues with editing UEFA that are widely discussed on this forum.