Sorrento and the Amalfi

haze.13

It's not hard to fall in love with the Amalfi coast. I still remember the first words that I muttered to my girlfriend Liv upon setting foot off the train in Sorrento and wandering down to Parco Lauro, "I'm in love!" Such a beautiful town I had never set my eyes upon and right then I should have realised that this place would never leave my heart. I'd heard about the enchantment of Italy but until this day I'd always put it down to the over sentimental nature of my nonna back in Melbourne.

It was late May and after scouring accommodation options for nearly an hour we ventured past the lemon grove on Corsa Italia and stumbled across the Hotel Central Sorrento which despite its misguiding name - it wasn't very central - it was quite a quaint yet classy hotel (much classier than the hovels we were used to anyway) beautifully simple with a homely vibe about it. Of course it was well beyond our budget but being desperate travelers I managed to wrangle a cheap room for as long as we would need it. The best part of two weeks were spent just relaxing and walking the streets of Sorrento, most mornings we could be found down in Parco Lauro as we made our way one at a time through all the different pastries and cakes in the tiny shop just off the park. The evenings were spent down at Piazza Tasso eating margherita pizza's and drinking the vino whilst the locals and tourists mingled peacefully in this amazingly calm town. We did do all the touristy things, you know the mandatory hydrofoil trip over to the magical Capri and a day trip back on the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii and then of course the bus trip over to Positano. But truly it was the delight of Sorrento that appealed to me more than any tourist trap. The little laneways with fruit, vegetables and spices hanging from the first floor balcony in front of tiny shops selling local wares including numerous limone liquours, Piazza Tasso with its gorgeous ristorante's, the port down at the end of Via de Maio, the lemon and orange groves spattered amongst hotels and residences at the eastern end of Corsa Italia. Delightful had become my favourite word since being here and Liv and I were more in love than we'd ever been.

It's not hard to fall in love with the Amalfi coast. I still remember the first words that I muttered to my girlfriend Liv upon setting foot off the train in Sorrento and wandering down to Parco Lauro, "I'm in love!" Such a beautiful town I had never set my eyes upon and right then I should have realised that this place would never leave my heart. I'd heard about the enchantment of Italy but until this day I'd always put it down to the over sentimental nature of my nonna back in Melbourne.

It was late May and after scouring accommodation options for nearly an hour we ventured past the lemon grove on Corsa Italia and stumbled across the Hotel Central Sorrento which despite its misguiding name - it wasn't very central - it was quite a quaint yet classy hotel (much classier than the hovels we were used to anyway) beautifully simple with a homely vibe about it. Of course it was well beyond our budget but being desperate travelers I managed to wrangle a cheap room for as long as we would need it. The best part of two weeks were spent just relaxing and walking the streets of Sorrento, most mornings we could be found down in Parco Lauro as we made our way one at a time through all the different pastries and cakes in the tiny shop just off the park. The evenings were spent down at Piazza Tasso eating margherita pizza's and drinking the vino whilst the locals and tourists mingled peacefully in this amazingly calm town. We did do all the touristy things, you know the mandatory hydrofoil trip over to the magical Capri and a day trip back on the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii and then of course the bus trip over to Positano. But truly it was the delight of Sorrento that appealed to me more than any tourist trap. The little laneways with fruit, vegetables and spices hanging from the first floor balcony in front of tiny shops selling local wares including numerous limone liquours, Piazza Tasso with its gorgeous ristorante's, the port down at the end of Via de Maio, the lemon and orange groves spattered amongst hotels and residences at the eastern end of Corsa Italia. Delightful had become my favourite word since being here and Liv and I were more in love than we'd ever been.

It was on one of these aimless rambles around Sorrento that Liv and I came across the Communale 'Italia'. Yes a football stadium, although more a pitch than a stadium with three sides enclosed by concrete terraces and the eastern sideline just a fence backing onto Via Califano. I found myself standing on the western terrace with a handful of forty something parents watching a bunch of kids (obviously their kids) training in the majestically black and red striped kit of the local club I assumed. A few minutes later Liv joined me on the terrace with a slightly irritated look on her face. "You know if I see some real football I can't help myself. Hell Liv football is my life - it's what I’m good at." A wry smile came over her face, "it's nice to see you get passionate about something, who plays here anyway?" I didn't even know who played here. On the way out I saw a freshly plastered poster next to the gate. 'AS Sorrento Calcio v Savoia' the club was AS Sorrento and after a few poorly elocuted questions to one of the parents I discovered that they were playing in the Serie D and this season they have a chance of winning their league and pushing for a spot in Serie C for the first time in almost thirty years.

That was almost six years ago now. Liv and I left Sorrento and continued our travels up to Rome then the South of France and Spain before hitting the United Kingdom and finally returning exhausted to Australia. We'd spent just on three months travelling around Europe and of all the beautiful places I’d opened myself up to there was only one place that I wanted to be, predictable I know but I couldn't stop thinking about Sorrento. Despite my career back in the supermarket going from strength to strength and my sunday football club pushing for the title again my heart wasn't here anymore.

Then one of those life changing moments occurred.

Just a couple of months ago Liv and I broke it off, she was so career oriented and I simply wasn't prepared to play second fiddle to her career as she jetted of to Sydney or Perth every other week. It was like someone flicked a little switch in my brain. You see it was my thirty-second birthday in April and I decided to follow my heart. I handed in my box cutter and tie and I left my Australian family behind. I didn't know how I would get to Sorrento or what I would do when I got there but I knew I had to get out of here. That's why I said I was leaving my Australian family behind you see I’ve grown up in Australia but my father is a Piccolino and he came out from Italy when he was just twelve. Dad grew up in a little town called Certaldo which is in the Val d'Elsa between Florence and Siena and he still has family there although none of our side have been back for over thirty years. I'm sure they will still welcome me in as family. Before heading to Italy I’d already decided to spend a couple of months dossing with an old mate of Liv's who's an accountant in London. I think he's sharing a place near Fulham.

The time in London has been great but I’m starting to feel that I’m just prolonging the agony. It was just two weeks since I landed here but after planning an eight week stay I knew what I had to do and I had to do it now. A dodgy flight to Rome would do the trick, the cheapest and fastest way to Italy without a doubt.

Upon landing in Rome I found myself on the Leonardo Express heading rapidly to the Stazione Termini in the city. Leonardo da Vinci airport became a blur as we took off on the half hour trip. To be fair my mind was also a blur - what am I doing? What do I expect to find in Sorrento? For all I knew I was well on my to spending my entire life savings on a pipe dream that will no doubt end with me homeless on the streets of Naples - a mile away from the peace and tranquillity of suburban Adelaide.

The Leonardo Express was unusually on time. As I’d done six years previously I searched the termini in Rome for a quick bite and then grabbed a couple of tickets for the first train to Naples. With a couple of hours to wait I chose to settle in on the cold metal bench with a couple of travel guides I’d picked up at Fulham Broadway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">History of Sorrento

The name “Surrentum†seems to be connected to the myth of Sirens. They were sea creatures, half women and half fishes, who bewitched the sailors with their songs and forced them to be shipwrecked on the coastal rocks.

As the Odyssey tells us, Ulysses succeeded in defeating them by stuffing his mates’ ears with wax and asking them to tie him up to the mainmast. According to the legend, the Sirens were so humbled by this action that turned themselves into the rocks which today are called Li Galli, facing Positano.

Sorrento was probably founded by the Phoenicians, but then it was also a Greek colony which later became Roman. Even if it often rebelled against Rome’s dominion, it had never been destroyed and so it became the privileged seat of the Roman patriciate during the imperial period.

Later Sorrento was dominated by the Gothes, by the Longobards and, in 552, by the Byzantines. Then it was transformed into a dukedom in the 9th century, with periods of domination and others of relative freedom.

In 1133 the Norman Conquest arrived and so, from that moment on, Sorrento shared the lot of the region itself. In 1558, in spite of a desperate defence, Sorrento was sacked by the Turkish pirates and so, from now on, it was surrounded by defensive walls, which were built by following the old Roman lay-out.

Sorrento had always been a proud and aristocratic town, often in conflict with the nearby villages. It participated in the Masaniello revolution too, and it had been besieged 14 months long. In 1799 it became part of the Neapolitan Republic and so it became again theatre of fights between Republicans and Bourbonists.

Anyway, since the 18th century on, it got the characteristics of a refined holiday resort.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thoughts of the sirens sent my mind away from everything that was Italy and back home to Liv. Despite splitting up we have stayed in touch regularly but since I arrived in London I hadn't even contemplated friends and family back home. For a moment I almost forgot who I’m doing this for - me. Move on. Forget all of that. I know I could spend my waking hours just dreaming of what could have been, but that's what I’m here for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Food

Sorrento gastronomy has got a broad range of tasty dishes that reflect the harmony and the tastes of the region.

Besides the well known Sorrento walnuts, which have got a particular size and are particularly good, you can find a delicious Limoncello (a lemon liqueur).

Besides the well known Sorrento walnuts you can find a delicious Limoncello (a lemon liqueur).

Sorrento cooking is also famous for the use, in many dishes, of the mozzarella fior di latte, with its definite and delicate taste at the same time.

Among the starters you can taste the gnocchi alla sorrentina and, obviously, the spaghetti con le noci. Among the sweets the babà are delicious (typical of Campania pastry) and the cannoli alla sorrentina, filled with custard.

Events

Sorrento is rich in cultural and artistic activities and also in outdoor celebrations which are held all year round, thanks to its mild climate and its natural and artistic heritage.

Two famous events are the International Music Festival that goes on in July, August and September and the International Cinema Festival.

The celebrations include the Patron Saint Feast and Carnival in February, St Anne’s Feast and the Sea Festival (in Marina Grande) in July.

Two other famous events are the International Music Festival that goes on in July, August and September and the International Cinema Festival.

From June to September, in the nearby Ravello, there is the Wagner Music Festival, a musical festival dedicated to Richard Wagner first debuted in 1953, presenting a series of symphony and chamber concerts every year.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never have been big on culture. Perhaps I’ll just stick to following the Sorrentino. Much more my scene really. But my god, I’d almost forgotten about the food. That's it - worst case scenario I’ll get a job in a restaurant washing dishes are something. If I can make a living here then I’ll be giving myself a chance to live. Simple as that.

I settled in my seat after wrestling with an impenetrable fortress of travel bags belonging to dear little Italian ladies. Finally relaxed I let my eyes drift away a little. With a sudden jolt I stirred. We were on our way finally. It was with great comfort as I blinked my eyes open to see sitting across from me a sight I’d forgotten with six years absence. How the beauty of the female Italian form had escaped my mind I had no idea, from this day that would never be a problem I’ll need to worry about. With my rusty Italian I managed to talk my way out of a rather awkward situation. Just a note of warning, try not to stare at strangers no matter how enchanting they are as it will only cause trouble. Well it broke the ice none the less. Sure she was looking at me like I was a serial killer but at least she had spoken to me. Her name was Mariana and it appeared that was all she was about to divulge to a prospective stalker.

After a peaceful night at the Casanova Hotel in Naples (any hotel described by the lonely planet guide as 'sounds like a brothel, but it's quiet, safe and friendly in a good way' has got to be good) I headed back towards Stazione Centrale. The next train on the Circumvesuviana line to Sorrento didn't leave for twenty minutes so I had time to spare. Which is handy in a city that feels like a car crash - in a good way. You see Naples is as full-on a city as you could find, every step you take you are overcome by a hundred people rushing but apparently going nowhere. Then if you stop moving you'll be instantly surrounded by street urchins with wrapped up bundles of joy that they will gladly trade in for the euros in your back pocket. Anyway this is sounding like a travel guide. The train arrived and the sweaty masses rushed on. My friends always referred to travelling to Naples as something that you survive rather than enjoy. To put it simply it's a city that opens your eyes and to be honest most western travellers don't necessarily like having their eyes opened too much.

My first real taste of the Campania region for six years blurred past as I stood in the doorway looking out over the Bay of Naples. The warm air rushing past welcomed me in and before I knew it the train had reached the end of the line. Sorrento. I quickly discovered that not a lot changes in towns like this. The Hotel Central Sorrento was booked out so I headed back to Ostello delle Sirene a bit of a backpackers dorm near the station. I knew I could stay here a while while I sorted out what I would actually be doing here in Sorrento.

Cheers spav. Sssh... don't spoil it icon_razz.gif

Just a couple of days of wandering the streets and I was feeling very comfortable with my decision. I really like this place. Parco Lauro and Piazza Tasso were just as I remembered them. So frantic yet harmonious, this little town of less than twenty thousand people represented all the best parts of Italian culture. A passionate and blessed people always willing to embrace the simple things in life, and always prepared to welcome a relative stranger.

All this wandering inevitably brought me to Via Califano and Communale Italia the home ground of AS Sorrento. Just yesterday I'd spoken to a couple of locals about the recent history of the club and was excited to hear that last month they'd won promotion to the Serie C for the first time in almost fifteen years. A play-off victory had seen their dream come to fruition and the locals were very proud. As much as I loved to talk football even I had to excuse myself - it seemed all of Sorrento was buzzing with the clubs relative success.

The door to the clubrooms was open and although there appeared to be no-one inside I pushed the door and ventured over to the meagre trophy cabinet. A door opened at the end of the room and I stood stunned as Mariana strode confidently towards me.

Thanks hibee. Slow and steady will be my style.

As I turned to make myself known to Mariana she almost fell over in shock as I stepped away from the cabinet. Apparently I was in the shadows and no wonder she hadn't acknowledged me straight away. She hadn't even seen me.

Once we'd worked through the initial shock and embarrassment on her part I managed to once more convince her I wasn't stalking her (I had to think quick here) and the next thing I knew I was waiting in her office beneath the Tribuna Centrale as she tried to find the club's head coach Pino La Scala. It looked like I was about to be interviewed for a spot on the coaching staff here in Sorrento. When I originally mentioned my reasoning for being in the clubrooms I thought it might get me off Mariana's hitlist little did I know she'd take seriously someone who states they were hoping to "speak to someone about working with the team".

Apparently the coaching staff had been depleted after two senior coaches had departed the sunny climes of Sorrento for jobs up in the Serie C1. La Scala was quite an affable man and he made it certain that if I showed some degree of coaching competence over the next week then I’d be taken on for the season in a full-time coaching capacity. It seemed the coaching badges I’d completed back in Australia would qualify me well enough. La Scala called Mariana back and it seemed the formalities were to be completed.

Map of Sorrento

To say that I was shocked would be a massive understatement. Sitting back in my room at Ostello delle Sirene I reflected on what Mariana had just told me. It was Tuesday afternoon and I was to be at the club at midday tomorrow to meet the other staff and then the players. Here's the brief history and competition details that Mariana earlier filled me in on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Italian league background:

Last season Sorrento played their football in the regionalised league system called Serie D. There are 9 regions in Serie D (all containing 18 teams), with Sorrento formerly being in 'Girone G.' The next step up from here is Serie C which is actually split into 5 parts (also containing 18 teams each); Serie C1 is the upper level (itself consisting of 2 zones - Girone A & B), while Serie C2 where Sorrento will ply their trade this season is the lower level (consisting of Girone A, B, & C.). All of Serie C is known as the Professional League. Above this level is the National Professional League system of Serie A (20 clubs) and Serie B (22 clubs). Serie A is often simply referred to as the 'Football League'. There are actually a further 5 divisions below Serie D and these divisions are called Eccelenza, Promozione, Prima Categoria, Seconda Categoria and Terza Categoria.

AS Sorrento's history:

Sorrento are a post-war team formed in 1945. The first 20 years or so was spent bouncing up and down the Promozione division until, finally, in the 1967-68 season Sorrento finished top and entered the Serie D system for the first time in its history. It wasn't a long stay though as Sorrento won the Girone G Championship at the first attempt and famously got promoted to Serie C (Girone C) for the 1969-70 season - finishing a highly creditable 4th. 1970-71 however saw Sorrento claim its first Serie C title with a haul of 51 points, 1 point clear of Salernitana, and promotion to Serie B for 1971-72. Life was tough in Serie B however (it contained the likes of Lazio, Palermo, Bari, and Brescia), and Sorrento finished in the bottom 3 and were relegated. Spending the 1970s in Serie C mid-table obscurity, the end of the 1977-78 season saw Serie C get split into its two levels present today and Sorrento were one of eight teams to be dropped into Serie C2 for 1978-79. More glory came in 1985-86 when Sorrento finished as runners-up to Licata in the Serie C2 Girone D division, and moved back up into Serie C1. This season proved to be a disaster though and Sorrento finished rock bottom and were relegated once more. The fall didn't stop there though and Sorrento found itself back in the minor Promozione division in 1991-92, a system it had left in the 1960s. It wasn't until the 1998-99 season that Sorrento forced its way back into Serie D. 2003-04 was one of the better seasons for Sorrento, after ending the season 5th hence gaining a Serie C play-off place they went on to win the play-offs and have successfuly re-entered the Serie C2 in Girone C.

All history is true and accurate except for the last line which had been amended to fit the story line

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorrento were back in the Serie C for the first time in 15 years and they seemed determined to make it more than a flash of a season. Interestingly I also discovered that not only does Mariana work at the club in a clerical role, she is also club chairman Antonio Castellano's youngest daughter. Once she had divulged that I wasn't planning on murdering or even stalking her I soon noticed a glint of interest beyond the common courtesy offered previously. Steady on man. Having been offered a lifeline for my career I wasn't about to throw it away for a woman. Think about it - a month ago I was working in the comfort of the supermarket, the one job I had held since I was seventeen. It had never dawned on me that my career may me away from the stocked shelves of aisle three. A football coach. It just shows how life can throw you an opportunity and you can just run with it. My old coach in the Uni thirds had convinced me to do a couple of coaching certificates when I injured my knee three years ago. Thankfully I’d kept myself registered and now it looked like my first coaching experience was about to begin.

That night I was so nervous but I didn't really want to spend the night on my own again just mulling over the first day's training. I walked down to Da Gigino for a pizza and decided I would waste away a few hours chatting to Pepe one of the pizza makers while he worked. One thing I’ve noticed since being back in Italy is that most Italians won't let a little thing like work get in the way of a good conversation. I couldn't help but explain my situation to Pepe. The smile on his face was contagious. Pepe was excited, he told me how last season the players would come down to Da Gigino after the game for a good feed and wind down. He assured me not to make any waves with La Scala and just agree with anything and everything he says and I should be right.

Well my first meeting with the staff and players seemed to go alright today. After an awkward introduction by Mariana I eventually managed to convince assistant manager Catello di Somma that I could actually speak quite a bit of Italian albeit to the apparent humour of the entire club every time I opened my mouth. It must be the dialect. The Sorrentini as a whole seem to think it's more likely that it's just my lack of culture. I think they are joking. The rest of the staff seem quite welcoming, the backroom consists of just one physio, one scout, two coaches (three if you include me) and Catello the assistant manager. All the staff bar the coach Mario Capace live in the countryside just out of town - apparently it's what you do when you have the money to do so. Mario is more of a fan of the sea and he tells me his apartment just off Piazza Tasso in town is the place to be if I ever need a local to burden with my miserable existence. I hope he was just taking the piss.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pino La Scala - Manager

A stern but professional man, La Scala is the leader at this club. Upon first impressions it seems everything he says is gospel and his actions are never questioned. The chairman Antonino Castellano appears to be a firm La Scala believer and he is said to have sacked staff, players and officials on the spot for doubting the managers judgment. L Scala is concerned with just one thing at this club and that is winning. Winning at all costs.

Catello Di Somma - Assistant Manager

At 37 Di Somma is quite young for a senior managerial role in Italy however his role at the club is more or less to manage the clubs playing group and to ensure that they are all fit and prepared for each match. From what I’ve seen Catello is a very matesy kind of guy. He is as concerned with getting along with the players as he is actually coaching them. If La Scala is the bad cop (stern task-master) then Di Somma is definately the good cop. Born and bred in the Campania region Catello has lived in Sorrento for the last few years since his playing career ended.

Antonino Cinque - Coach

Cinque is actually much closer to La Scala than Di Somma and his role is more or less to be the voice of the manager when La Scala cannot be involved for various reasons. La Scala treats him like a son and at 39 he's about the right age. A determined and disciplined figure Antonino seems quite quiet but he is more of a 'sit back and look at things' kind of coach.

Mario Capace - Coach

Now I come to the most interesting member of the coaching group. What Mario doesn't know about Italian football isn't worth knowing. At 42 he is the senior coach behind La Scala although the two rarely actually converse these days. Apparently Capace disturbed the manager a little a couple of season's back when he suggested that he could do a much better job with the calibre of players in the club's books. A furious La Scala insisted that Capace be sacked but the stubborn Roman insisted he see out his contract. In this time he then managed to convince the chairman that it was in fact his tactical nous that had propelled the club up the Serie D ladder rather than La Scala's. Mario obviously an intelligent (if somewhat cocky) man had the chairman Castellano twisted around his finger before the season was out and he ensured that not only would his future at the club be guaranteed but that La Scala's contract would not be renewed beyond 2005. Of course La Scala knew nothing of this.

Giancarlo Colonna - Physio

From what I’m told no-one actually knows how long the 53 year old Colonna has been at the club. Undoubtedly the longest serving club official he is well liked and a very popular figure around town and not just within the football circles. His physio clinic in town is the only one for miles so I’m sure I’ll see him outside of the club before to long.

Giampaolo Grilli - Scout

From what I’ve seen Grilli is the only scout at the club and from what the players say he doesn't actually do anything. In some sort of gentleman's agreement he is on the books and just tends to float around the club collecting balls and practice cones whenever a training session is being run. I think with a club this size they tend to wait for the players to come to them rather than actively scouting too much.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow haze.13! You are indeed a great spinner of stories. Increadibly creative. I will be interested to see how you handle the match and season commentary. Your style has great depth, and I will definately be a follower from here on out.

Cheers uskopite! I'm enjoying the writing and since i've become bored with just playing for the fun of it i've decided that the story will drive the gameplay along. Hopefully!!

After briefly chatting with the staff the first of the players started arriving for today's fitness session. Marcello Ferrara and Salvatore Buonomo were apparently always the first to arrive and they were the first I was introduced to. Sal immediately assured me that if I stuck close to Marcello then I would settle in quickly, Ferrara is the fans favourite and he is equally well regarded by the staff and his team-mates. As if this was some kind of challenge Marcello bit back claiming that Sal as the club captain is surely more popular than he is. After these two headed to the rooms the coach Capace explained that those two are the heart and soul of the club and they know it and love it. They live for Sorrento Calcio.

My first session at the club ended relatively incident free and I feel that I contributed well for my first real involvement, with the clubs first friendly fixture scheduled for this Sunday we have another session on Thursday afternoon before a final Saturday morning run. Along with what I’ve witnessed today Capace has given me a run down on the entire current playing squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">AS Sorrento Squad 2004/05

Goalkeeper

Ciro Ambra - GK - 28 years old

Being the only keeper at the club presently Ambra is guaranteed the first team role between the sticks. He's been at the club for the past three seasons and has been a solid keeper at Serie D level however the step up may test him. Without being an outstanding keeper he is always professional, determined and focused.

Defenders

Marcello Ferrara - D RL - 29

As I mentioned earlier a real crowd favourite, last season in his first at the club Ferrara played an integral part in the promotion campaign. A rock solid fullback who always gets the job done and is rarely beaten out wide, he continually puts the team ahead on himself and significantly he has higher league experience in the Serie B with Crotone.

Pietro Cascone - D RC - 21

As a youngster Cascone joined Sorrento three seasons ago from his hometown club of Brescello. Under La Scala he has developed into a solid squad member and whilst he may not be the quickest player at the club he possesses physical strength and composure beyond his years. More than likely a backup player at this level but in a small squad every player has a role to play.

Fabio Aruta - D L - 19

In his first season at the club Aruta has impressed throughout the pre-season. A focused defender with excellent tackling skills he looks set to start at left back when the season kicks off. It's great to see a local product of Sorrento come through to the club and his work rate and determination will be an asset to the team.

Vincenzo Di Pinto - D L - 19

Also in his first season, Di Pinto will have to battle Aruta for the left back position and although he is quicker than Aruta he lacks the technical aspects in his game. Another local product he has shown attacking flair in training and may be used further up the pitch if required.

Leonardo Gargiulo - D C - 20

Another young defender who looks set to figure heavily in the first team, Gargiulo spent a season away from Sorrento on loan at Isernia in the regional competition and he appears to have learnt from that experience. At just 20 he will anchor the back four, a very strong header of the ball and reasonably quick for his height Gargiulo is expected to demonstrate the vigor and aggression to succeed in the Serie C2.

Luigi Pezzella - D C - 24

Probably the least impressive of the defenders on show, Pezzella has been at the club since 2001 and has yet to break into the first team. With the current squad depth he looks like breaking in whether he's good enough or not and it will be testing to see the hard-working but uninspirational defender step up to the next level.

Midfielders

Alfonso Contabile - M R - 21

An agile right winger, Contabile played a big part in Sorrento's successful promotion push last season and now in his third season after graduating through the local system. Without being flashy he is a consistent midfielder who always gets hold of the ball and generally he knows what do with it. A first teamer without a doubt.

Giovanni Marciano - M L - 22

In his first pre-season with the senior side Marciano has established himself as a tenacious and hard working winger. He is likely to struggle to be a regular first teamer but has the qualities to impact well off the bench. Just today we saw a demonstration of his tenacity - whether it be positive or not he managed to get in a harmless scuffle with another feisty character the captain Buonomo. Today was just a fitness session to so I look forward to seeing him in some competitive stuff.

Giulio Russo - M L - 28

Born in Meta just a few kilometres from Sorrento, Russo has returned to his home after stints away with both Juve Stabia and Nuovo Nardo. Last season Russo led the side well down the left with his marauding runs and silky passing. As one of the more experienced members of the squad Russo is expected to lead from the front this season.

Salvatore Buonomo - M C - 26

The club captain and emotional leader of the club, Buonomo arrived at the start of last season as a hard-nosed midfielder from lower league club Terzigno and immediately stamped his class on the side. Not only claiming the captaincy by his emotional performances over the early season but then going on to lead the club to an inevitable promotion. No real flare about his game but he does pretty much everything well. The holding midfielder personified.

Antonio Esposito - M C - 19

Another youngster in his first season after progressing through the system, Esposito will no doubt add depth off the bench but is unlikely to be a starter too often. Still learning his craft I hope Buonomo and Russo can teach him some good habits. At such a young age he has a great opportunity in this side.

Forwards

Alberico Guariglia - S C - 30

As the oldest player in a young squad Guariglia's role up front is crucial. He will not only be relied on to shoulder the burden of leading the goal scoring he will also be required to nurture our youngsters along side him. A crafty striker Guariglia has made his career sharking goals and will be expected to do more of the same this season, brave and aggressive he never shies away from a challenge.

Carlo Balzamo - S C - 17

When I talk about the likes of Guariglia and Buonomo mentoring the youngsters it is the likes of Balzamo that I am referring to. At just 17 Balzamo has that flashy nonchalance that many great Italian strikers have possessed in the past and his game can only progress from the raw condition that he comes to the club in. One of the brightest lights in this young squad, he will impact off the bench and may even force his way as a starter before too long.

Vincenzo Di Ruocco - S C - 17

The youngest of the lot, Di Ruocco is the quickest of our current strikers however his finishing leaves a lot to be desired at this early stage of his career. Importantly he knows how good he is and knows how good he can be so I look forward to witnessing his development over the next couple of seasons.

Antonio Zito - S C - 18

After starting most of last season as a 17 year old Zito may find himself pushed back down the pecking order with the competition from new youngsters Di Ruocco and Balzamo. More or less a distraction last season next to Guariglia, Zito is not yet the natural goal scorer the club had hoped he'd develop into. But time is on his side and he will for now add depth to the squad.

Alessandro Maraucci - S C - 24

The true combatant best describes Maraucci. All that he lacks in class and finish he makes up for with drive and determination. Technically he may struggle at this level but he will always leave his entire game on the pitch regardless of the situation. A good bench player at this level.

Dario De Simone - S C - 19

Without a doubt the least impressive of the young strikers. De Simone who progressed through Regina's youth ranks before coming to Sorrento a last season, he has struggled to make any impact in his time here. Despite unnerving courage the feeling around the club is that Dario could be looking elsewhere to play this season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sat in the comfort of Parruchiano, a restaurant on Corsa Italia not far down from the Communale Italia. The entire playing squad and staff were here, Parruchiano were a club sponsor and the meal the night before every home match this season will be held here. It was the Saturday night before the clubs first pre-season friendly at home. Next to me sat Mario Capace, the man who over the past few days had become the closest thing I had to a friend here in Sorrento. The atmosphere was buzzing and after a couple of solid late week training sessions I was beginning to feel that I was a real part of the club. Capace assured me that he had put in a good word for me with Castellano the chairman and that he was very confident that the paperwork would be on the table first thing Monday morning. I still couldn't help but be doubtful about the whole situation. Whilst I’m sure Capace is being honest with me I haven't spoken a word to Castellano, the man with whom my future here in Sorrento really lies. At the table I was awoken from my ramblings by the manager Pino La Scala throwing himself across the table towards Capace.

Back in Capace's apartment with the scent of Espresso wafting through the lounge I tried to piece together what had just happened less than an hour ago down at Parruchiano. Apparently while I was pondering my future now being in the hands of Castellano - Capace was seen by La Scala to be whispering mischievously in my ear - leading to La Scala (by now travelling quite well on the vino) shouting across the room at Capace something obviously questioning his sexual preference. I'm guessing that if Capace hadn't responded to this by claiming La Scala's 19 year old daughter Gianna could vouch for his sexuality, then maybe La Scala wouldn't have tried to put his fist through Capace's face. Anyway Capace did say that (all true he assures me!) and La Scala attempted to put his fist through Capace's face before Marcelo Ferrara restrained his manager. At that point Capace decided now would be a good time to leave the restaurant. Myself and a few of the players now sat at Capace's - the skipper Buonomo along with Maraucci, Ambra and Russo decided to make sure that the big Roman Capace cooled down a bit. Surprisingly it seemed the last thing Mario Capace needed was to be calmed down, he was as calm as he ever was. In fact there was almost a wry smile evident as he relaxed in his brown leather lounge.

As everyone left Capace's we knew that tomorrow would be a big day at Sorrento Calcio.

We - the coaching staff - had been called to the chairman's office just a matter of hours before the kick-off of our first real hit out for the season. After last nights drama no-one has seen or heard from Pino La Scala. Castellano and Mariana have been calling him all morning and now Mariana is driving out to see if he's there and if he is then why the hell isn't here. La Scala's puppet in the coaching staff, Antonino Cinque insists that he has not heard from the manager since they parted at Parruciano late last night and we should calm down and start preparing for the match at 3pm against Serie D side Savoia. Castellano informs us that assistant manager Catello Di Somma would manage the side today and there would be no debating the matter. Capace and I were very quiet after last nights encounter and personally I was pleased that Di Somma would lead the team. Anything that takes the attention away from Capace would surely better my cause to play some permanent part in the coaching group.

Di Somma calmly addressed the players explaining that due to personal reasons La Scala would not be at today’s match. The starting eleven would see Ambra in goals - Ferrara, Gargiulo, Pezzella and Aruta across the back - Costabile, Buonomo, Esposito and Russo in midfield - with Guariglia and Di Ruocco up front. All remaining squad players would be on the bench and everyone will get on the pitch today at some point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Savoia @ Communale Italia, Sorrento - Pre-season friendly

Buonomo opened the scoring on 20 minutes in what was to be free flowing affair with a delightfully flighted free kick past the stranded Savioa keeper. Then just 4 minutes later Russo worked well down the left before cutting the ball back to the other winger Costabile who clinically finished from just a few yards out. Late in the first half Savioa pulled one back through Ingenito with a classic thirty yard strike that was too hot for Ambra. After numerous changes the second half saw a few chances either way in an evenly fought match, on the hour mark Ingenito set up Bagnara to equalise for Savioa. Then with just over 10 minutes left Savioa took the lead when Sieno drove home a stunning winner from just inside the box. In a match that had started so promisingly we had thrown away a two goal lead, but the score line wasn't important really. Ferrara and second half substitute Cascone were excellent at the back whilst Russo created the spark in midfield before being substitute and Buonomo held together the centre of the park well. The major disappointment would have to be Ambra's performance in goal, I was not surprised to overhear Di Somma and Castellano discussing the desperate need for a new keeper and quickly.

Goals - (Sorrento) Buonomo 20, Costabile 24 - (Savoia) Ingenito 36, Bagnara 61, Sileno 78

Attendance - 149

Sorrento 2-3 Savoia

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If today's match was to be a sign of what this side was capable of it could well be a frustrating season here in Sorrento. Interestingly after the match I sat down to speak with the chairman Castellano and he made it pretty clear that unless La Scala showed his face soon there would be instant changes. La Scala has had his own way too often in recent years and this may be the perfect time to change the way things are done at this club. It seemed Castellano had been pushed far enough by the antics of the manager and this was the last straw.

Mariana missed the entire match today after an eventful afternoon out at La Scala's property outside of town. Not only was his grand residence apparently empty it looked like no-one had been there all day. Just as she was about to leave Mariana spotted La Scala's daughter Gianna walking back towards the house, she'd been away in Positano this weekend and had rushed home today after receiving a strange phone message from her father. Apparently after last nights incident La Scala and Castellano had a major spat after Castellano refused to justify the manager’s actions, Castellano had spent the last three seasons protecting him and now he's just had enough it seems. After refusing to back him against Capace last night La Scala finally realised that the chairman did not believe in him anymore - it was the beginning of the end - La Scala told his daughter what had happened and that he was leaving for Naples first thing so that he could clear his head and work out his options. The club would find out in time. I guess now was the time then. Mariana's news left the entire club in shock, everyone that is with the exception of Castellano and Capace who seemed more than happy with the way things had panned out.

Assistant manager Di Somma will continue in charge until a new fulltime manager could be organised. Castellano made it quite clear that he was after a high profile manager who has experience at Serie C level at the bare minimum. The search would start immediately with the position being advertised across the country tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all your kind comments lads. Keeps the pressure on me to keep playing/writing!

Wednesday nights match against Vis Pesaro came around before I knew it. Every day at the club this week had been hectic with one less staff member around the place and it looked things will remain this way for a while yet after Castellano squarely rejected a couple of management offers saying that these people were not of the calibre required at Sorrento. On Monday morning I also learnt just how well Capace knew Castellano when as predicted a full-time coaching contract was placed in front of me. I'd initially been put on a weekly wage of 450 euros which I was more than happy with given my coaching experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Vis Pesaro @ Communale Italia, Sorrento - Pre-season friendly

Serie C1 side Vis Pesaro visited the Communale to play us under the barely adequate practice lights and we expected a very tough test from a side that last season was playing two divisions above us. For us the match couldn't have started better when Esposito poked home Russo's cross which was spilled by Vis Pesaro's keeper. At the half whilst Vis Pesaro had dominated possession the best of the chances were ours and we were more than happy with the lead. De Simone and Maraucci came on up front for Guariglia and Di Ruocco after the starting two had been largely ineffective. The transfer listed De Simone immediately provided a spark and on 57 minutes he delightfully headed home Maraucci's cross in from the left to make it 2-0. Despite continual pressure by the side from Pesaro we continued to make chances on the counter, when the final whistle blew the match had ended in convincing 4-0 victory. Maraucci scoring one for himself on the hour and then an awful own goal to complete the scoring. A crowd of 160 - up by a whole 11 people on Sunday’s fixture - turned up tonight to witness Ferrara once more as the outstanding Sorrento player. Esposito and Maraucci were the other two standouts for us tonight, however - truth be known - of the 19 players that graced the pitch in the red and black not one was beaten. The only disappointment from this match is the injury incurred late by Maraucci. The physio saw to it straight away however we will have to wait for the scans back from the hospital.

Goals - (Sorrento) Esposito 10, De Simone 57, Maraucci 60, Fasano (og)

Attendance - 160

Sorrento 4-0 Vis Pesaro

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a turnaround after Sundays match. The four goal margin may have been a bit generous but it was a very positive result none the less, especially considering the off-field situation at the club this week. Castellano announced to the players and staff tonight that a new striker would be arriving on Sunday with another signing to be finalised on Monday.

Thanks dixie and telstar! Glad to hear that i have a few readers

With speculation mounting that Pescara boss Giovanni Simonelli is to be the new manager at Sorrento Calcio the local media attention has certainly been focussed on the club in the last day or two. Whilst Simonelli has not confirmed or denied the claims the speculation locally has been founded on the fact that the chairman Castellano was spotted up in Naples with Simonelli on Friday and it is believed that talks are coming along quite positively. The players appear to be quite pleased with the change at the top and training in the build up to this Saturday's match against Serie B side Catanzaro has been very enthusiastic to say the least.

In injury news after spending a night in 'Santa Maria della Misericordia' Hospital with his injured foot it looks like Maraucci will be out for at least a month after the scans of the foot clarified that it had been broken in a seemingly innocuous challenge late in the recent match with Vis Pesaro. After starting the pre-season with a promising outing up front it appears the rugged Maraucci will sit out the first month of the season and may struggle to force his way back into the side as the season takes off.

Catanzaro @ Communale Italia, Sorrento - Pre-season friendly

We were totally outplayed by a superior Catanzaro side today and despite Ambra's heroics we never really threatened the away goal. The class of the Serie B stood out in a match when we never looked like doing more than getting some match fitness in the player’s legs. Young Balzamo and Buonomo were with Ambra the standouts but some serious questions are surfacing about the class of our defence with the likes of Pezzella, Aruta and Gargiulo really struggling today.

Goals - (Catanzaro) Ambra(og) 19, Biancone 59

Attendance - 146

Sorrento 0-2 Catanzaro

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This week we welcome two new signings as Castellano begins to shape the post La Scala era at Sorrento. First arriving late on Sunday there was the young Brazilian midfielder Neto who has been recently playing in Italy with Itala San Marco based almost on the border with Slovenia in Gorizia, San Marco play in one of Italy’s regional divisions (the equivalent of Serie D or E really). An attack minded midfielder Neto has the flair and touch that you would expect from a Brazilian playmaker and his partnership with Buonomo in the middle of the park will be interesting to watch. Then just this morning the second arrival turned up at the Comunale as Laurent Sanda arrived from fellow Serie 2 side Olbia based on the island of Sardinia, Sanda is a young striker from Cameroon who started his professional career in Genoa's youth team before moving down to Olbia. Sanda offers a touch more sharpness and depth up front than our current strikers and will be expected to start.

With the new boys at training for the first time today I was pleasantly surprised how well the current squad took to the new ones. I'm sure Castellano put it to our senior players to ensure that these two are welcomed into the club with friendly arms but to see this actually happen first hand I was quite impressed by the mentality of our squad. In this country you do not assume a single thing when it comes to how you'd expect a non local to be treated in a town the size of Sorrento - let alone a non Italian - like these two are. Anyway maybe it's got something to do with being a tourist town, maybe we've just got a top bunch of lads playing here. Either way it was fantastic to see Sanda and Neto being embraced by the same players that new they would probably lose their place to the new signings. But that's professional football I guess.

On top of these two signings Castellano announced that the backroom staff had been strengthened with the signing of a couple of new scouts. Julian Carrera and David Jarrett join our current scout the free-loading Giampaolo Grilli and it appears that the chairman has almost certainly outlined this area as one in which the club must improve. I am certain that we will soon see the benefits of this situation as the club looks to rebuild towards the coming season after the departure of La Scala.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">10.08.04

Summer Signings Pt.1

Neto - AM/F C - 25

After joining for just €1000 Neto Leonidas Pereira looks set to further his career at a higher level after making the move from lowly Itala San Marco. A genuine midfield playmaker Neto looks certain to gain a start in the centre of the Sorrento midfield this season and will be expected to create many chances and push forward just behind the front two.

Laurent Sanda - S C - 22

Another €1000 signing, Sanda has spoken of the great determination and desire he has to make it here in Sorrento after a couple of less than successful seasons in the Serie C2A with Sardinian club Olbia. Never afraid of a party Sanda has spoken to me already about his passion for the Italian lifestyle and another holiday town like Sorrento is perfectly suited to the affable young Cameroonian. A certain starter as we embark on the new season and the campaign to stay in the Serie C2.

Julian Carrera - Scout - 32

A Catalan journeyman Carrera has spent much of his professional career in various roles in the English game with both Watford and Tottenham however it is his ambition to get back to the mediterranean lifestyle that has led him to Sorrento. He has been given the newly created role of youth development trainer as well as his scouting role.

David Jarrett - Scout - 22

After spending his earliest years in Canada, Jarrett has since spent his entire life - which at 22 isn't much - in and around Colchester on the east coast of England. Apparently he had a promising football career cut down by injury after progressing through Ipswich Town's academy up till the age of 17. It's amazing how many youngsters had promising careers chopped down by injury, not many mediocre careers ended prematurely are there? Anyway I’m sure Castellano has spotted something special about him, either that or the chairman has just taken to employing backpackers after the obvious success he has had with me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before training today Mariana decided that I needed to start looking for a permanent residence now that my contract has been inked. I was surprised that Mariana was looking to help me find a place considering she had been less than accommodating lately, but who knows maybe her opinion of me is changing. After calling a local agent she took me down to Piazza Tasso were we met with the agent who showed me through a couple of apartments just in behind the square off Corsa Italia. The first place was not at all suitable - I do not intend on living in the back pocket of an elderly couple that are looking to rent out their loft. Luckily the second place was much more impressive. When I didn't understand the agents description and Mariana translated it as a 'shiny apartment' I was intrigued, just off Via Accademia - and I soon realised - not far from Capace's little piece of luxury, it was just what I was after a little one bedder with some nice new appliances. To make the location just perfect it opens directly onto a laneway with all the little local fresh produce sellers and market stalls selling numerous lemon products including the notorious limoncella. So it looked like I would be moving out of Ostello delle Sirene almost immediately and to be honest I have been becoming a little tired of living amongst travellers and freeloaders - you know - now that I’m practically a local.

Tonight our final pre-season friendly of the season sees Cattolica Virtus, a Serie D side from Florence make the trip down to Sorrento for the unveiling of our two signings. After last weeks less than impressive result we looked to return some faith to our supporters with a confident on field performance.

Cattolica Virtus @ Comunale Italia, Sorrento - Pre-season friendly

In a tightly fought contest in front of only our most enthusiastic Tifosi (fans) - the 'Hells Army' down in Tribuna Sud must have made up more than half the attendance tonight - we could and possibly should have taken the lead with new signing Sanda wasting a couple of good early chances. Costabile was impressing on the right flank and Neto was certainly impressing in the middle of the park. Cattolica Virtus looked determined to give nothing away and on 75 minutes the impressive Manuel Mazzoli put away his chance after a woeful mistake by Ambra losing the ball on the edge of his own area. Mazzoli made it 2-0 just minutes later and the result was decided. Both Balzamo and Neto had good shots saved by the away teams keeper late in the game but the result stood at 2-0. Sanda showed glimpses however his finishing looks to have a lot of room for improvement, his movement off the ball and vision certainly are his strengths. Our most consistent performer today was Costabile on the right, however on the flipside of this Ambra in goal was terrible again and the search for a replacement must not be far off now.

Goals - (Cattolica Virtus) Mazzoli 75,78

Attendance - 152

Sorrento 0-2 Cattolica Virtus

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should comment on the magnificent role that the Hells Army our devout group of tifosi (supporters) who travel everywhere to support this side. Apparently they are one of the better behaved groups of ultras in the country. They take pride in the fact that they will not stoop to the inequalities that grace many ultras in Italy. Why the 'Hells Army'? From what I can tell it appears to be a reference to the blood red and black team colors of the club and when you add a couple of rose coloured homemade flares then they have looked quite hellish by all accounts. Whilst not as intimidating as some supporter groups they are essential to the support of Sorrento and they always involve the more passive local tifosi at the Comunale.

With the moving process over quite quickly - well that's what happens when your entire collection of belongings can be bundled into a hiking pack and a plastic bag from spar - I ventured down to the Stadio Italia. Interestingly I’d noticed that despite Sorrento's grounds official title being 'Comunale Italia' the seemingly more user friendly titles of 'Stadio Comunale' or 'Stadio Italia' were commonly used by all the locals, and as such will be used be me now too. Today chairman Castellano has called a press conference. If you believe the press it is to officially announce the town's worst kept secret that current Pescara boss Giovanni Simonelli would be stepping down from his managerial post in the Abruzzo, and stepping down literally from Serie B to the Serie C2 to take over here at Sorrento. Personally I believe that between Mario Capace, current caretaker manager Catello Di Somma and myself we have the core of a coaching group that can lead the club forward immediately. Perhaps I shouldn't have pressed this issue quite so firmly when the three of us were sharing a particularly boozed up evening with what was an unofficial meeting of the backroom staff this week. Whilst the chairman appeared to be initially impressed by our enthusiasm he soon tired of it and when the final member of the coaching staff - La Scala's old right hand man - Antonino Cinque decided he'd heard enough and began shouting me down it seemed the time for talking was done. Cinque was disgraced by our disrespect for what La Scala had done here with Sorrento and how we (Capace and I) had driven him out of town. It was one of those important nights in the development of an organisation where things were spoken from the heart and there was no holding back as true feelings were placed squarely in the centre of the table.

The gathering press were murmuring as I arrived. Perhaps due to the apparent predictable nature of the announcement, perhaps due to the searing July sun beating down on the ill prepared temporary press facilities that had been set up just outside the main entrance to the clubrooms under the main stand Tribuna Centrale. Antonino Castellano addressed the waiting crowd perfectly to the second as to the press release. Two thirty on the dot. Interestingly he stood alone, not flanked by Simonelli as was the common way to do these things. Surely he had some grand plan to unveil the new boss with the flair and nous that Castellano had become known for. This was the announcement that everyone in town had been waiting for. Simonelli was to be the new allenatore that would lead AS Sorrento Calcio into a new era of Serie C football. Well that's what everyone at Stadio Italia today was thinking as Castellano stepped towards the gathered press...

Breathe man, breathe!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">17.08.04

Piccolino gets the nod

AS Sorrento chairman Antonino Castellano shocked the awaiting media when he announced that 32 year old Italian-Australian Cristian Piccolino as his clubs new manager following the recent departure of Pino La Scala.

Piccolino had just weeks ago been hired as a coach under La Scala but now it seems that the untried manager will have the weight of the entire town on his shoulders after this shock appointment. Today it was expected that Pescara boss Giovanni Simonelli would be unveiled to take over the top position. The mood swung suddenly from one of excitement to one of confusion when the relative unknown Piccolino was unveiled seemingly not just to the surprise of the awaiting media but also to his own surprise.

In his first statement to the public Piccolino ensured everyone that he would look to uphold the integrity of this great club and would ensure that chairman Castellano's dreams for AS Sorrento would be fulfilled. This blatantly illustrated his poor understanding of football in Sorrento - a town that celebrates footballing mediocrity to the full extent. Apparently the Simonelli deal fell through when it was discovered that he had expectations that the Sorrento board would ensure that his remaining Pescara wages would be covered on top of his new wage here in Sorrento, Castellano reacted furiously tearing up the contract as it stood and any talks ceased immediately. It was at this point that Castellano explained today that he had been looking so hard all around the country that he had not noticed that the best candidate had only recently joined the club and was in fact working right under his nose. This coming Friday sees Piccolino's first challenge in charge as the team travels to Gela down in Sicily for the opening match in this seasons Serie C Cup against Gela Juve-Terranova. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To say I was shocked would be a massive understatement. Not only had I just faced the local press for the first time as manager of AS Sorrento, but I’d just done it on five minutes notice. As Castellano had stepped to the gathered press I noticed Mariana frantically signalling to me - rushing over I noticed that club coaches Capace and Di Somma were standing by her - the Simonelli deal had fallen through and Castellano was about to announce to the footballing world that I - Cris Piccolino - was to be the new manager here in Sorrento. What! Apparently I’d impressed the chairman so much since the La Scala departure that he was now 100% sure that I was the man to take the club into the coming Serie C2 campaign. I quickly realised that this decision had already been made and allowed Capace and Mariana to prep me for the press that were no doubt expecting some sort of initial statement from the new manager.

After sitting down at length with Castellano following the whirlwind that was the press conference he explained his situation in depth. Whilst I wasn't even in the picture for the manager position his talks with prospective manager Simonelli had made him realise that he needed to appoint someone closer to home and realised that any high profile manager would be taking this job for the wrong reason. He needed someone that had a passion for the region and the club - I was his man - with the guidance of Capace and Di Somma I could (in good time) lead this club to glory. He could offer me a transfer budget of €6,952 for the season and a weekly wage structure of €8,500 of which we were only utilising €6,200 at present so there is room for me to bring in a few players if I thought they were required. Castellano made it quite clear that this season would be tough, the jump from Serie D to Serie C2 was a large one and it would be my job to ensure our survival this season. This season is about preservation not glory!

Wow! Page 1 finally ends with the inevitable appointment. I have no idea how long an actual season will take to report, but at this rate you'd better buckle yourselves in for a long ride. BTW Cheers for the support everyone!

It was a long eleven hour bus ride down to the toe end of the boot and the quaint Sicilian coastal town of Gela. The lads seem particularly toey and from what my coaches have gathered the players are right behind my appointment. On the bus with plenty of time to kill I sat and had a good chat with the charismatic fullback Ferrara, he assured me that the players had no question that chairman Castellano had made the right decision and if I just kept improving my Italian they may even accept me as one of them before to long. Ferrara never fails to impress me. Whilst physically quite a scrawny specimen he is without a doubt the toughest and most ferocious player we have on the squad, yet off the pitch he is quiet almost to the point of being withdrawn at times. I am beginning to realise after he opened up to me today that his apparent quietness is just a conscious effort he makes to think about his actions before acting after finding himself in all too many dangerous situations as a youngster due to his fiery temperament.

Despite the initial searches by my scouts we go into our first official match of the season with a relatively inexperienced side and to be honest expectations are mixed at this point. The Serie C Cup is not a very high priority and to be honest I will be looking to utilise this match as a chance to see how the side plays as a unit. With just Maraucci out injured the side will be as strong as we are capable of currently, however in the next week or two before the transfer window closes I will hopefully be bringing in a new keeper - replacing the hapless Ambra - and a central defender at the very least. Pezzella starts at the back today with the solid Gargiulo, both the new recruits will have another match to prove themselves and the experienced Russo will get the start on the left ahead of Marciano.

Gela Juve-Terranova @ Vincenzo Presti, Gela - Serie C Cup Group N

All the early action came in our half as Gela attacked hard and often however the defence held firm with the scariest moment averted by Gargiulo as he cleared a shot of the goal-line after the post also managed to save our embarrassment. Sanda worked his way into the match and was causing problems with his pace, on 29 minutes he managed to turn his man inside the home sides half before drawing a defender and playing Guariglia into the penalty box where the veteran striker made no mistake putting us up 1-0. As the match progressed it looked inevitable that Gela would equalise, numerous chances were spooned over the bar or saved by the inspired Ambra in goals. On the hour mark it looked like Guariglia would settle the score however his close range header from Sanda'a cross was tipped over by the Gela keeper. The home side continued to press late in the game however our defence held firm and we could have extended the score with Russo in the 90th minute however once more Gela's keeper stood tall and kept his sides slim hopes alive. Finally the whistle blew on my first match in charge - a win - lucky maybe but a win is a win.

Goals - (Sorrento) Guariglia 29

Attendance - 2294

Gela 0-1 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my first full week as manager my three scouts have been particularly busy and it looks like we will hopefully be adding another four players to our books before the week is out. Earlier this week veteran Serie C keeper Cristian Tosti has agreed in principle to our contract and whilst his fee of €2k is almost a third of our budget it will certainly be worth it as he is a quality stopper from the tapes I’ve seen. Also agreeing in principle is the centre half Rocco Roberto Paris - a former Bari trainee who played a handful of matches for the now Serie B side - our offer of just €1k was accepted by Serie C1 side Lanciano. We are still waiting on the players demands for the other two potential recruits but we are hopeful that midfielders Andrea Conti and Jaime Leon Merito will both sign before the weekend transfer deadline.

In spite of what has been a good start to the group stage of the cup campaign we have not changed our priorities at all. The cup is secondary, it is about finding our best starting eleven before the Serie C2 season begins. At this point the certainties are Ferrara, Aruta and Gargiulo at the back with Buonomo and Neto in midfield and Sanda and Guariglia up front. That leaves four spots up for grabs and with the new signings arriving at the end of the week it will be interesting to see who really wants to fight for their spot in this team. Competition for places is something that was lacking and I think we are on our way to creating a healthy competition within the playing group.

Cheers RomfordPele. Great name btw!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">31.08.04

Summer Signings Pt.2

Cristian Tosti - GK - 30

At €2k our most expensive recruit but possibly our most important one. No club with just one keeper is healthy and the addition of Tosti will ensure that the unlucky Ambra will watch most matches from the sideline. In my opinion this is a good thing unfortunately. Tosti adds the experience and stability we require at the back and I look forward to seeing how he fits in here in Sorrento.

Rocco Roberto Paris - D RC - 25

From what I’ve seen of this lad he is just what we need to partner Gargiulo at the back. Solid, dependable and quite quick Rocco is a genuine footballer with good feet and a good reader of the game. At just €1k he is an absolute bargain. The only reason he has come down a level to play with us is due to the fact that his previous club Lanciano could not promise him regular first team action. Something that will not be an issue here in Sorrento.

Andrea Conti - AM RLC - 27

A Roman by birth Conti began his career with three matches for the giants of Roma after progressing through their junior ranks, however since that one season with the senior team he has spent seven seasons at six different clubs before making us his eighth club at twenty seven years of age. A journeyman? Yes. Hopefully for us he will offer a touch of class and composure in the midfield ranks. The fact that he has signed for free with a few measly bonuses potentially going back to his former club Lanciano either says that he was not worth much to them or that they were just happy to offload him. Either way he will get every possible chance to prove himself here along with his former team mate in Rocco Paris.

Jaime Leon Merito - AM R - 21

Also joining for free (and a few bonuses) is the young winger Merito. Born in Colombia but a naturalised Italian, Merito is a quick winger that looks to have the sort of game that can make it at this level. We will wait and hope. He has signed from Serie C1 side Acireale and will hopefully apply pressure to Costabile for the right wing position.

Leon - Physio - 25

Our final addition to the football club before the season proper kicks off is young physio Leon. Born in Sao Paulo, Leon is of Brazilian-Italian heritage and has completed his physio training recently in Naples. This is his first official placement and I think he can learn a lot from our head physio and local legend Giancarlo Colonna. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the confirmation of this weeks signings I feel the club is starting to take a better shape in my mind as we have now strengthened all areas of the squad. The experience and stability of Tosti and Paris will certainly be big positives and Conti has the class but will he have the metal to make it in Sorrento? Three of the midweek signings will take the pitch against Igea Virtus as Tosti takes over from Ambra in goals whilst both Paris and Conti take their places in the centre of defence and in the midfield respectively. The starting lineup will be as follows: Tosti - Ferrara, Aruta, Paris, Gargiulo - Conti, Russo, Buonomo, Neto - Sanda, Guariglia. Against another Sicilian club this time it was Igea Virtus' time to take a nine hour bus trip up to meet us in sunny Sorrento.

Igea Virtus @ Comunale Italia, Sorrento - Serie C Cup Group G

If this match was to demonstrate anything to our supporters it was that we had indeed found a solid shot stopper in Tosti, he looks like being the type of keeper that we can build our defence around. Twice we went behind today and it should have been more if not for the exceptional Tosti, twice we equalised. Igea Virtus' first goal was a tap in to their central defender Monaco after a scrambled corner found its way to the far post on 16 minutes. Then on the half hour Buonomo fed Sanda in the box and the Cameroonian turned his man before rounding the oncoming keeper and equalising. Igea Virtus then retook the lead when Costabile was judged to have hauled down Francesco Esposito in the box and despite Ferrara and Sanda's complaints Alizzi scored for the away side. Then finally in the 89th minute second half substitute Di Ruocco worked with Conti down the left and the new signings deep cross was headed home by Costabile at the far post. 2-2 and Tosti the saviour at the Comunale.

Goals - (Sorrento) Sanda 30, Costabile 88 - (Igea Virtus) Monaco 17, Alizzi 83(pen)

Attendance - 1716

Sorrento 2-2 Igea Virtus

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always happy to inspire!

With the transfer window now closed I am content with the squad we have been dealt following a few good acquisitions. The only player to leave Sorrento was young striker Dario De Simone who joined Serie C1 side Pro Patria for €5k, the strikers were the only area in which we had too many candidates for first team action so when a good offer came in I instructed Maria immediately that we would not hesitate in allowing young Dario to leave and further his career elsewhere.

Of the new signings Cristian Tosti was immense on debut in goals against Igea Virtus, Rocco Paris showed what we expected of him - as solid as they come - Rocco will lead from the back, however for Andrea Conti the jury is still out after he was less than impressive. As our fans will demonstrate here in Sorrento if you don't put in for the team the town will not spare you, Conti's habit of not pushing all that hard defensively will have to change and we will set about changing him immediately in training tomorrow. In spite of the fact that we were travelling quite well with four points from two matches in the group stage of the Serie C Cup the coaching panel were very sure that we had little chance of progressing in the cup. This season is about surviving the league and with no hope of actually winning the cup we will utilise the remaining two group matches against Taranto and Acireale as further pre-season practice before the league kicks off in just under two weeks time at home to (the infamous to FMS readers) Ragusa.

Only in Italy and in particular the Serie C could you be made to play two matches in as many days and this would be my first taste of this. The morning after our tough encounter with Igea Virtus we made the relatively short trip over to the Gulf of Taranto across the eastern side of the boot for our third Serie C Cup group match that evening. The only changes to the starting lineup sees Di Ruocco replacing Sanda up front and Merito replacing Conti on the right flank. Taranto are expected to challenge for promotion to Serie C1 this season and we will certainly be under pressure from the kick-off today as from what I’ve seen we are not yet up to the standards set by clubs like Taranto.

Taranto @ Erasmo Jacovone, Taranto - Serie C Cup Group G

When the majority of my players walking out in front of almost six thousand screaming Taranto tifosi were in awe of the support gained by this club I was a little concerned. Sure I didn't expect too much coming into this match but from a position of awe we managed to hit them hard and fast as the powerful Guariglia headed us in front from Buonomo's early cross after just 11 minutes. I never for one moment thought that one goal would be enough here in Taranto and whilst we tried to attack we were quickly being pressed deep by the experienced Taranto midfield. On 18 minutes Menolascina fired home a free kick from the edge of the box to equalise and it wasn't to end there. If not for the tenacity of Ferrara, Paris and Buonomo we would have certainly been behind by half time however we managed to hold on late in to the game. Inevitably on 82 minutes Casale beat Tosti to a shallow cross and headed the home side ahead and that was the end of the match as a contest as Taranto played out time for a hard fought 2-1 victory.

Goals - (Taranto) Menolascina 18, Casale 82 - (Sorrento) Guariglia 11

Attendance - 5658

Taranto 2-1 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Against a superior side I was very impressed by the way our back four structured themselves to repel a dangerous strike force. We held out well and despite losing it was possibly our best performance this season so far. Unfortunately Leon our physio that travelled with us to Taranto has made the early diagnosis that Tosti will miss a couple of weeks with a slight groin strain late in the match. So after all the changes I’ve attempted to implement it looks certain that we will be forced to start our Serie C2 campaign in just over a weeks time with the incumbent Ciro Ambra between the posts.

As I sat down with my coaching staff for a casual Saturday night pizza at Da Gigino thoughts of progression from the group stage of the Serie C Cup entered my mind for the first time. Capace had outlined the situation to me upon entering the restaurant - a win against Acireale at the comunale on Wednesday night would qualify us for the knockout stages - it was as simple as that. Acireale were already out of the running for the two qualifying spots with Taranto already qualified as group winners and us along with Igea Virtus vying for the second spot. It had never been my intention to go anywhere in the cup but with this news I was beginning to wonder if there was anything to lose in going for it, the side is quite settled now so I don't feel that the need to experiment is required before the season opener. On that note the decision was made, we would go for the win against Acireale.

On the Tuesday evening at a light training before Wednesday’s cup match my immediate plans send our most competitive side out against Acireale were dented with the news that the old warhorse Guariglia was bedridden with the flu and young left back Aruta would almost certainly be unable to play tomorrow after rolling an ankle at training today. Fortunately Alessandro Maraucci had just returned to full training after a month out with a broken foot and he will be forced to play Guariglia's strong-man role upfront to create space for the nimble Sanda.

As the crowd filed into Stadio Italia I was amazed at just how much local interest had been stirred by the couple of statements that I’d made about the way we were planning to go all out for the win and how this was more than just another trial match. After our only previous cup match had drawn less than two thousand loyal tifosi it looked like we would almost double that tonight. In squad news Ambra has replaced the injured Tosti in goals, youngster Vincenzo Di Pinto replaces Aruta at the back, Neto who pulled up sore this week will sit on the bench with Costabile coming in on the right and Conti moving to a central midfield role, finally as discussed Maraucci will stand in for Guariglia up front alongside Sanda.

Acireale @ Stadio Comunale, Sorrento - Serie C Cup Group G

Talk about a disappointing start. After this weeks build up and the positive spin I had put to the media the last thing I needed was to go down to 10 men and down a goal inside the first 6 minutes. But that's what happened. After a dubious free kick was awarded just outside our penalty box Buonomo stated his disgust at the decision towards referee Luca Palanca, who immediately cautioned the tough tackling midfielder. Buonomo continued his protestations and was duly red carded. Great the captain off after 5 minutes on the pitch. Then Malgioglio curled the much debated free kick past Ambra for a 1-0 lead early in the match. We fought on with 10 men and Conti could have equalised but for his free kick drifting just wide of the mark after 20 minutes. As the match continued it soon appeared that the main interest had become just how many cautions Signor Palanca would dish out tonight, Costabile and Ferrara joined Buonomo in the book and then after further disgust directed at the referee Costabile joined Buonomo in the change rooms on the half hour mark. Down to 9 men but the game was far from lost as Neto replaced Maraucci and then put through Sanda who missed a great chance to equalise late in the half, Conti was dictating things for us without two of our creative midfielders at this point. 6 yellow cards, 2 red cards and Signor Palanca had been busy with 45 minutes still to play.

2 men down we continued to attack slightly more guardedly however when Ferrara was given his marching orders after a shirt pulling incident the win was certainly beyond us. An extra defender was brought on to save face if anything as the exhausted Sanda took a seat for Pezzella. Amazingly with only 8 men on the pitch we continued to make chances and Neto could so easily have levelled things soon after losing Ferrara but it wasn't to be. Acireale added a final goal to seal the 2-0 result through the fortunate Ventura on 72 minutes. The referee Signor Palanta had firmly put his mark on this match and the local crowd hurled all sorts of abuse (and assorted objects) at the little man as he was escorted from the stadium after bringing the match to a close. This was one man who was happy that the cage of fences around the comunale stood firm against the rage of the hell's army. As the stats read after the match we had been shown 8 yellow cards and 3 reds to Acireale's 1 yellow.

Goals - (Acireale) Malgioglio 16, Ventura 72

Attendance - 3198

Sorrento 0-2 Acireale

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it hard to respond to this match. If I had gone into it with little hope I would not be concerned but I had stated that we would go for the victory and cup advancement so to go out as we did was disappointing. Sure the referee had some say in the score line however our discipline was questioned tonight and we failed the exam in a big way. I will be talking to the boys about when you should and should not be talking back to the officials as it was this that cost us two of our three dismissals tonight. It was also terribly disappointing to see the experienced Buonomo and Ferrara unable to lead by example with their poor displays of immaturity. Clean slate time though now, time to prepare for Sundays Serie C2 opener at home to Ragusa.

I wouldn't expect you to nerf, or should i say in true italian style "Eh Forza Ragusa - i spit on you - phht! Forza Sorrento!!"

The team selection for Sorrento's first Serie C2/C match pretty well took care of itself with the exception of the wide positions. Ambra will start in goals ahead of the injured Tosti with Aruta, Gargiulo, Rocco Paris and Ferrara along the back. Buonomo and Neto will hold the middle of the park with Russo claiming a start on the left and Conti ousting Costabile on the right. Up front the partnership of Sanda and Guariglia will be given further time to develop. Ragusa look to have built one of the leagues most formidable strike forces with Fabio De Luca and Juventus loanee Alessio Ammendolea a class above most in the Serie C2, I expect the team from the south to keep Rocco and Gargiulo very busy at the back this afternoon.

Ragusa @ Stadio Comunale, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

Ragusa looked dangerous right from the kick off and with De Luca causing all sorts of problems we were lucky to go into halftime on level terms. The second half saw the match fire up with substitute Zito creating a great chance for Conti only for his shot to be scuffed wide with the net gaping in front of him. Costabile replaced Buonomo as Conti moved central and we attacked without hesitation, on 74 minutes when Guariglia was hauled down in the area it looked certain that we would take the lead. I hadn't counted on Neto's spot kick flying high and wide into the wire fencing that separates the tribuna sud and our hell's army from the pitch. Much to the despair of the said tifosi. It was literally the first time I’d seen Neto miss a penalty since he joined in the summer - great time to start might I add. Ammendolea had a great opportunity to break the deadlock however highly rated Juve youngster blasted his powerful strike wide of the relieved Ambra. The match took a turn when Guariglia was once more fouled cynically and Ragusa defender Serra was instantly shown red by the referee, only for Conti to level things at 10 on 10 just moments later with a stupid second yellow card and he made the slow walk back to the change room 5 minutes earlier than the rest of the boys. 0-0 but I suppose a point is a point against a quality outfit that I expect Ragusa to be this season.

Goals - nil

Attendance - 936

Sorrento 0-0 Ragusa

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am starting to realise that this is going to be a tougher league than I had expected. The referees will not hold back and discipline is a minor issue at this point, Andrea Conti has not endeared himself to the Sorrento tifosi (fans) at this stage and another red card did not help the enigmatic journeyman’s start in his first home league match. With the exception of his missed penalty Neto once more played a cracker in the middle of the park and the defence as a whole held firm.

The evening after the Ragusa match the team gathered for what I plan to make a regular post match wind down at Da Gigina for pizza and and a few Nastro's. I was happy to make this the regular time off from professional football for the players and staff. Sunday night's would be unleashed, after the club duties of joining all and sundry at Da Gigina all would be free to do what they want. Tonight apparently most of the younger boys are heading over to 'The Club' which is Sorrento's one and only real night club and where all the young travellers usually end up early in the morn. The other night spot in town is the totally classless yet always action packed 'Chaplins Pub' which is modelled on the British pubs however it is by no means a theme pub, if you can imagine an Italian pub this is it. The arrogance is always in full flow at Chaplins where more locals tend to hang out rather than the touristy 'The Club'.

Monday morning after a reasonably big night at Chaplins I was awoken by Capace banging on my apartment door. Standing in the always busy Via Accademia, Capace tried to explain that I should get down to the club immediately. Conti had been involved in an incident later at Chaplins last night and he had stirred the pot with a few locals who were less than impressed by the fiery Roman's lack of respect.

The issue was dealt with swiftly as chairman Castellano and I quelled the tempers of the locals who had gathered at the clubrooms. We had to maintain unity and there was no good to be gained by trying to drive one of our new signings out of town only one match into out Serie C2/C campaign. Apparently Conti had made a few claims about the unprofessional nature of the club and how he was a too good for a club like Sorrento and deserved better than the unfair support he had received to date. Time for a chat.

With a confident 3-0 win in their opening match of the Serie C2/C campaign Taranto have demonstrated that scoring is not an issue for the side from the east coast. The short bus trip across from the Amalfi to Ampulia and the Gulf of Taranto was pleasantly uneventful.

I utilised the couple of hours to try and get into Andrea Conti's head and find out what went on last match with his red card and the subsequent night at Chaplins, he had asked to stay back in Sorrento for this match however I made it quite clear that suspended players will (under my reign) support the side from the stands with a failure to do so at any stage demonstrating a lack of team unity and that player would not be part of the future at Sorrento. Conti explained that after the frustration of sitting on the sideline in his early days at Roma and Nocerina he decided to only sign for clubs that he would be guaranteed a starting position with. Things here in Sorrento hadn't quite gone to plan so far and he had been less than impressed by his own form which was the major factor in his frustration and the subsequent red card against Ragusa. I made it clear and simple that no one player would be guaranteed anything here at Sorrento unless they could guarantee 100% commitment to the club. The right attitude along with good form would be rewarded duly. I had come to realise from this discussion that Conti was not as confident as he comes across and it is due to this insecurity (I believe) that he has never stayed at one club for more than a single season. He will take some nurturing but hopefully I can focus his talents for Sorrento's sake and his own. Whether he can turn the tifosi around is another matter entirely.

Despite Ambra's impressive form in goals over the past two weeks when Tosti reached full fitness he was instantly reinstated between the sticks for today's match. With Conti watching from the stands the only other alteration to the starting line up was predictable with Costabile replacing him on the right wing. Taranto relied heavily on the hard work and creative flair of Stefano Casale on the left flank whilst Francesco Passiatore is an experienced head leading the attack with authority.

Taranto @ Erasmo Jacovone, Taranto - Serie C2/C

After our valiant defeat here in the cup the players were not intimidated by the turnout today and we started very positively with Guariglia commanding things with authority in attack. It didn't take long either, on 8 minutes Guariglia showed composure to deftly finish from close range after great work by Russo down the left. Then on 23 minutes Buonomo struck a vicious shot from just outside the box which looked to be missing before it struck Taranto defender Miale and deflected hopelessly past his stranded keeper for 2-0. We had dominated the first half and looked to be heading in at the half with a deserved 2 goal lead - that was until Gargiulo's momentary lapse at the back that let Passiatiore in direct from their keeper Castorani's long kick and the veteran striker blasted his side back into the match with the last kick of the half. Casale was causing trouble and could have set up 2 or 3 goals early in the second half but for missed chances by his strikers. However on 64 minutes Passiatore crossed for his strike partner Luiso to head home and equalise for the home side with Tosti helpless in goals. Whilst our defence may have been at fault for both their goals some of the last 15 minutes heroics surely cancelled out the earlier faults. Tosti saved at point blank from Luiso and Rocco continually frustrated Passiatore as Taranto went for blood and the full three points. We held on and it was a well earned point.

Goals - (Taranto) Passiatore 45, Luiso 64 - (Sorrento) Guariglia 8, Buonomo 23

Attendance - 5024

Taranto 2-2 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The trip back to Sorrento was quite gloomy after conceding a 2-0 lead to only gain a single point, however personally I am very pleased with the way the boys held on to the point when it looked for all odds that Taranto would find a way for a third goal with all the pressure they applied in the final 15 minutes. Tosti and Neto were good today but my best certainly went to the gutsy Russo on the left wing who was tireless in playing both ways for the full 90 minutes.

The training news was not great this week as we prepared for the trip to play Nocerina. It appears that the always dependable Giulio Russo will be forced to sit out for a couple of weeks with a groin strain that he picked up at Wednesday afternoons training session. We have been relatively lucky to date with regards to injuries and I hope that the physios Giancarlo Colonna and Leon continue to do whatever they are doing to ensure that our players are on the pitch doing what they are paid to do and not sitting and sulking in the rehab room. The injury to Russo and the return from suspension of Conti coincide nicely so I will be interested to see how the volatile Roman reacts to this opportunity to begin to redeem himself with the Sorrento fans.

Archived