Sorrento and the Amalfi

haze.13

Today we travel the short distance across to our fiercest rivals Nocera Inferiore situated less than 50kms from Sorrento and just north of the mountainous region dominated by Monte di Chiunzo. With the close proximity and our rivalry factored in we will be well supported by our travelling tifosi the Hells Army. Nocerina after opening with a win and a loss look like being a formidable rival once again in this league, without any real stars they are in a similar position to us squad wise so I expect a tough encounter. With the ever impressive Russo missing for a couple of weeks as previously discussed Andrea Conti returns to the side on the left this time and on the right wing Merito gains his first start ahead of Constabile, with the exception of Merito and Conti the side remains otherwise unchanged.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Nocerina @ San Francesco, Nocera Inferiore - Serie C2/C

The match started furiously with early shots at both goals, on 4 minutes Conti sent a cross bound for Sanda's head before the Cameroonian was clearly pushed by Nocerina Battistini and the penalty was awarded. This time Neto made no mistake smashing home the spot kick to put us up 1-0. After going up we refused to let up and could easily have extended the lead with Neto and Buonomo creating chances however Guariglia and Sanda could not put in a second goal. Marciano came in for some rare minutes on the left and Di Ruocco replaced the wasteful Sanda, but the result was never in doubt and with our first win of the season we jumped to 5th on the Serie C2/C table.

Goals - (Sorrento) Neto 4(pen)

Attendance - 2749

Nocerina 0-1 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we were going to defeat just one team all season the township of Sorrento would have demanded it was this one. The fact that we did was personally very pleasing. In a match which was a real team effort Neto again was a standout with Tosti, Ferrara and Aruta dominating at the back in a match that we never were really threatened. As happy as I am with this result I feel that we were a little lucky that Nocerina didn't really get together their number one game today.

Cheers uskopite but i doubt that Antonio possesses quite the talent that his younger brother Giovanni does! I will be providing fixture details when they become more important to the storyline.

The midweek match against Morro d'Oro beckoned and we'd barely had a chance to reflect on our first three points in the Serie C2/C before the next challenge was upon us. Earlier this week I made time for a coffee and a couple of pastries with by leadership crew of Sal Buonomo and Marcello Ferrara. I was amazed at how excited Sal sounded when discussing how the club was going under my leadership, I had been quietly concerned about the lack of focus that the club had gained in recent times as I had expected things to hot up a bit in the local media once the season proper kicked off. Apparently Sorrento is a bit of a sleepy town when it comes to sport and sporting achievements. Provided the tourists keep rolling in then the people here are happy as they know where the next meal is coming from. Marcello was quick to assure me that with the exception of the loyal Hells Army the local support has never been stronger in the time he's been here, and not since the notorious Serie C1 season of 86/87 had regional interest been at such a high. Enough relaxing though with a short week ahead preparation for Wednesday night must continue away from Parco Lauro and its delicious pastries.

With a draw and two losses Morro d'Oro have not started the season well and if the league pundits are to be believed they are set for a long season. Another squad similar to Nocerina that does not possess any real star players but they battled well for a draw with Ragusa last Sunday so tonights match will be no walkover. The only change to the side from Sunday sees Merito drop out of the side due to fitness concerns with Marciano coming in to play on the left wing and Conti switching to the right. Costabile has done little to impress since starting the season promisingly and now sees Marciano move up ahead of him in the pecking order of wingers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Morro d'Oro @ Stadio Italia, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

When you have 12 shots on goal with only 2 on target you begin to raise questions about finishing and this is where we stood after tonights match. Laurent Sanda was the main culprit with 7 shots at goal and only a single shot actually troubling the keeper before he was substituted on the hour mark. An injury to Conti on half time gave Costabile a great opportunity to prove what he's worth. On 66 minutes Morro d'Oro went ahead through a lucky crossed ball by Martelli that deflected past the stranded Tosti and into the corner of the net for 1-0 to side from the Abruzzo. But it was Marciano who had stood up on the left with the absence of Russo and now Conti and on 73 minutes he played a delicious ball through traffic to Sanda's replacement Balzamo who duly opened his account this season by steering the ball home with ease to equalise. The match ended at 1-1 and it was no less than Morro d'Oro deserved after surviving the barrage that was Sanda and his shots flying everywhere but the goals in the first half.

Goals - (Sorrento) Balzamo 73 - (Morro d'Oro) Martelli 66

Attendance - 1224

Sorrento 1-1 Morro d'Oro

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like Conti's knock could rule him out of our next league fixture away to Igea Virtus on Sunday so that will test our depth with Russo still out of contention through injury. Tonights match was as frustrating as they come. The way Sanda made space for himself during the first half was brilliant and the Morro d'Oro defence had no answers, but he just couldn't hit the target. Eventually I had to substitute him after he was becoming visibly frustrated with himself, as it turned out Balzamo showed the composure that Sanda couldn't find to score a precious equaliser in a match that almost gave us nothing. A point is always better than none.

Cheers Spavy!

Chairman Castellano tells me he does not have much respect for clubs at our level that attempt to build their side around high profile loan players, and Igea Virtus is one such club. This season they have 18 year old midfielder Pasquale Talarico from Reggina along with deadly striker Francesco Milano from Palermo and another midfielder in Daniele Ancione of Messina. Despite these loanees Igea Virtus have struggled to score after scoring twice in their opening Serie C2/C match they have not found the back of the net since in the past 4 matches. In terms of selection Marciano retains his place on the left wing with Costabile replacing the unfit Conti on the right, Sanda retains his position up front with Guariglia despite Balzamo's impressive performance off the bench on Wednesday.

Igea Virtus Barcellona @ D'Alcontres, Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto - Serie C2/C

What can I say? An unimpressive 0-0 draw in a match that offered so much. I feel that with 3 matches in a week my players are a little drained and we struggled to break down the home sides defence despite using both replacement strikers in Maraucci and Balzamo after Sanda and Guariglia were disappointing. Ferrara was our best player and Rocco fought hard against a young man that is playing well below his standard in Milano who I thought we did well to keep off the scoresheet.

Goals - nil

Attendance - 1711

Igea Virtus 0-0 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Realistically this was a point gained rather than two points lost. We certainly were hoping to win however Igea Virtus will be more disappointed than we are, it was crucial to maintain our unbeaten record at this early stage of the season as we look to establish ourselves at a superior level and in doing so set ourselves up for survival so that we can take a crack next season at promotion.

At training today I witnessed the sort of thing that you always wish you'd never have to see. Young defender Pietro Cascone who has only featured in a single cup fixture so far will not play again this season after breaking his leg in the type of challenge that you see one hundred times a week at training. With at least 7 months out of the game confirmed by the doc it seemed the youngster was more at ease with the situation than Antonio Esposito who was the other party involved in the blameless incident. Esposito has been really rattled by the consequences of the tackle and at just 19 he is possibly struggling to get his head around the professional nature of this game. I left Capace to deal with the youngster as I know that time is the only thing that will help him realise that he was not to blame.

On a positive note with almost two weeks break due to international fixtures before we take on Gela at home there is plenty of time to ensure that Russo returns to full training and the side will be at full strength. With no disrespect to Cascone, the boy was not looking like featuring in our best side prior to his injury with Rocco and Gargiulo looking very stable at the back early this season.

The weekend break for international fixtures gave me and the other coaches a chance to sit down properly and deconstruct how the team is shaping up early in the campaign. Personally I have been very excited by the opening six weeks in the new reign; the highlight for me has been the way the defence of Tosti, Ferrara, Aruta, Rocco and Gargiulo have gelled to create a formidable unit at the back. On the disappointing side I suppose I would have liked us to be creating a bit more in attack as we have become a little too dependant on the defence holding up to gain results so far. The other coach’s opinions were as follows.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">10.10.04

Coaches Assessments of AS Sorrento

Catello Di Somma - (Positives) Definitely the way the entire club has rebounded following the La Scala incident and the swift changes that have been made since. The team is playing attractive football and are not losing matches in a league above that which most of these players performed at last season. (Negatives) We are not clinical enough as a football team and as a club, but this is changing. On the field discipline must be enforced and the players must be taught to value the opportunities they have been given.

Antonino Cinque - (Positives) The loss of La Scala was a big one as we all had been taught well by the great man, however the players have moved on quickly and they are playing a style of football that he would be proud of. Rocco is absolute class and should probably be playing at a higher level than that which we bless this season. (Negatives) We will not understand the real loss that was La Scala until later this season. He had lead this club from obscurity and would have continued to do so this season. Now the pressure is firmly planted on us to continue his legacy.

Mario Capace - (Positives) The dismissal of La Scala was not before time and that alone would be the positive for me. The future is now and subsequently the post La Scala era is heading in the right direction. (Negatives) We must act to turn around some of the small minded attitudes of the supporters to be able to encourage quality players to join our club in the future. The Conti incident is an example of how this must change, a great player has not been let to flourish due to a select band of so called supporters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We certainly uncovered some interesting points. Not the least being Cinque's apparent belief that the club will struggle without La Scala, I knew he and the former boss were quite close however I would have thought that such feelings would have lead to Cinque quitting the club following the departure of La Scala. In any case I will be forced to attempt to turn around these negative feelings and the only way to do so will be with on field success. Capace will always back me to the hilt and he confirmed this with his words of support. I also believe that the rock that is Di Somma will continue to play a big role at this club for as long as I am in control. A steady head on firm shoulders is not such an easy thing to find in Italian football and Di Somma offers this in abundance.

With our strongest lineup of the season we took on Gelo. The lineup included Tosti in goals - Aruta, Rocco, Gargiulo and Ferrara across the back - Russo, Buonomo, Neto and Conti in the midfield - with Guariglia and Balzamo in attack. After testing my resolve Sanda has finally been benched with Balzamo earning his start and importantly Russo returning on the left wing. After just one point from their opening five matches of the league Gela are in desperate times and I expect a strong defensive effort by the traveling side.

Gelo Juve-Terranova @ Stadio Italia, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

In a frustrating match Gela got the draw that they had obviously come to play for. Russo had the best chances in a match that saw our strikers well marked out of the match with the only spark coming after Sandas second half appearance. It could easily have been a different result if only one of Russo long range efforts had found it's way past Tilaro in the Gela goal. Zito and Montalabo were rock solid at th eback for Gela and they ensured that they weren't going to be on the losing side today. Aruta left the match at half time after picking up a slight knock but he looks fine for next week.

Goals - nil

Attendance - 2416

Sorrento 0-0 Gela

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We really struggled to break down a well organised defence today, it was only through the width of Russo that we really made any inroads but still we didn't do enough and will have to settle the old 'point gained rather than two lost' again. One win and five draws at this stage of the league but at least we are well clear of the relegation zone, which in all honesty is my goal for this season so i won't complain at this point.

We next travel up to mid-table Latina a couple of hundred kilometres north of Naples in the mountainous region where Campania reaches the Molise. Marco Moretti is their star recruit this season, a 21 year old centre half on loan from Lazio who has dominated at this early stage of the season. The speedy Massimo Manca is always dangerous in attack for the side from the hills. Merito will start in Latina with the half fit Russo moving to the bench whilst Sanda comes back in for Balzamo in attack. After a couple of disappointing attacking efforts I plan to allow Neto a more attacking role just behind the front two with Buonomo tucking in deeper just in front of the back four.

Latina @ Domenico Parruciano, Latina - Serie C2/C

The first half was explosive with end to end action and although both Sanda and Guariglia were creating chances it was the dangerous Manca that slipped between our two centre backs to open the scoring in doing so putting the home side 1-0 up. Early in the second half things got worse for us when Aruta picked up a second yellow card and the young left back was on his way for an early bath. Down to ten men and with Russo and Constabile replacing the ineffective Conto and Merito the match was pushed well out of reach when Buonomo gave away a needless penalty and Mirko Mancini duly converted it for 2-0. Buonomo made amends almost immediately when he crashed home a free kick after a foul on Neto. Unable to maintain the intensity we struggled to make any further impression on Latina's lead and the whistle blew on our first loss of the Serie C2 season.

Goals - (Latina) Manca 36, Mancini 62(pen) - (Sorrento) Buonomo 67

Attendance - 2891

Latina 2-1 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was a match in which we were deservedly well beaten and the margin perhaps should have been greater. Rocco for the first time really struggled to contain the pace of Manca and the defence had difficulties regathering after Aruta's dismissal. Sanda really stood up in attack and he looks to have warded off the challenge from Balzamo at this stage, now we just need a few goals from the Cameroonian. The experiment with Neto tucking in behind the strikers didn't really pay off and we reverted to a flat four across the middle for the second half.

Today Sanda managed to injure his groin in training after fighting his way back into the starting lineup following a poor run of form. The quick striker looks like missing a couple of weeks with the injury and another opportunity to one of the reserve strikers beckons. The big question is can anyone stand up to partner Guariglia and get their name on the scoresheet.

After the early season flurry things seem to be settling down now. I feel comfortable in my role as manager and it is almost like the scars left by the rift with La Scala have healed invisibly. Signor Castellano's faith in me has been unnerving - obviously he does believe in me as much as he'd had me believe when he announced my appointment a long ten weeks ago. The past few matches i have found myself beginning to doubt my tactics however i know i must stick with it. The boys are doing the right thing most of the time and I'm positive that the results will come, preferably before too many more frustrating scoreless performances.

Melfi make the three hour trip across from the Apulia to take us on in our final match in a hectic October. As we currently sit well entrenched in the relegation zone the underachieving Melfi side will surely be looking to take all three points considering our current poor form. Vincenzo Di Pinto replaces the suspended Aruta at left back whilst Costabile comes in for the Merito, Conti only just salvaged his place in the midfield. It is Balzamo who will partner Guariglia up front without Sanda on the scene for a fortnight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">31.10.04

Melfi @ Stadio Italia, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

I don't want to talk about this one, obviously I'd spoken too soon about the frustration with our tactics and the players execution. Another scoreless draw at home! Balzamo seemed to struggle with the concept that he was supposed to shoot the ball at the goals. Whereas Conti and Constabile understood this concept they seemed more likely to find the blue waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea than the back of the net. No one player really played poorly today it was just that no-one actually played with any flair that you need to break apart a match.

Goals - nil

Attendance - 960

Sorrento 0-0 Melfi

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very disappointing it must be said. On the brightside at least less than a thousand locals witnessed this farce of a football match in which only one shot actually troubled either of the keepers.

Outstanding start -- great beginning --

Strong candidate for story of the year in my book.

Don't be too harsh with your team Haze, with a newly promoted team, a 1-5-1 record is alright by me. They are giving themselves a chance to stay up at least. Somebody has to start finding the back of the net soon, though. And your defense is probably on one of the best (statistically at least) in the league.

Brilliant side commentary. Subplots outside of the main plot have really made this one enjoyable.

KUTGW

Cheers op and usko! Nah i'm not too worried about the form just yet.

A trip down to the hills of Calabria was calling, however on current form we are likely to struggle against another less than formidable club in Rende. From where we stand Rende are above us on the table but we are not intimidated by their current mid-table standing. In selection news another reshuffle upfront was required, this time Maraucci was given the start alongside Balzamo with Guariglia relegated to the bench. The musical chairs on the wings continues with Merito and Costabile swapping again with this time Costabile getting the start. At the back Aruta returns from suspension with the unfortunate Di Pinto missing out after his first start of the season.

Rende @ Marco Lorenzon, Rende - Serie C2/C

Before I begin - yes it's another scoreless draw but read on - this was a massive improvement on the way we've played in recent times. In front of just 627 Rende fans Buonomo and Conti dominated the middle of the pitch and when Russo came on to replace the tiring Conti he also took apart the flailing home side. Unfortunately despite our possession dominance we were unable to break the deadlock and the fact that we more than doubled Rende's shots on goal further demonstrated this dominance. Fittingly it was the Rende keeper Stefano Ambrosi who was named player of the match with a controlling performance at the back.

Goals - nil

Attendance - 627

Rende 0-0 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure we would have liked a win (I feel like I've said that a few times this season already) but at least we outplayed the opposition. Strikers scoring seems to be becoming a major issue with neither Balzamo or Maraucci impressing with their big chance today. January is too far away and the funds are simply not available so we will have to make do with what we have.

After another two week break we will be looking to inject our season with a bit of energy as Giugliano visit the comunale. Without a win since late September I have chosen to allow the players to do whatever they want for a full five days in the middle of this break, I don't see the point driving it into these boys when they know what they are expected to do and they know that it's not happening right now. They need to relax and they will be allowed to do so with no expectations of them whatsoever. At this point of the season the one player I simply cannot fault is our Brazilian recruit Neto, since moving down from Itala San Marco he has been so professional and always leaves absolutely nothing in the changerooms. An example to his teammates everytime he has challenged for a ball the 25 year old South American has injected the side with flair and excellence in his central position. Neto understands that I will expect a lot from him after making such a promising start but he seems to be up to the challenge. At only €1k he is surely our chairman Signor Castellano's greatest purchase in recent years.

In injury news I visited 18 year old striker Antonio Zito in hospital today. He is out for a month after fracturing his arm in training this week and the youngster was a little down on himself today. After promising a lot last season according to my coaches he even played a handful of first team matches as a 17 year old he hasn't shown much promise on the training track. This season he has not even looked like ousting the likes of Balzamo, Sanda or Di Ruocco for the small striker role - Zito has only featured once in the first team this season so fortunately for me it appears he will not be a major loss.

Giugliano are off and flying in 1st place in the Serie C2/C so far this season and striker Massimo Perna is the danger man after banging in 5 goals from 9 games. Guariglia returns to the starting lineup for us with young Di Ruocco gaining a start alongside the veteran in attack. In the only other change to the side from our last match Merito replaces the continually unimpressive Constabile on the right wing.

Giugliano @ Stadio Italia, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

Without a match at the comunale for a few weeks a strong crowd of 2855 fans turned up for the visit of table toppers Giugliano. It's always the way that when you wrap a player up with compliments he goes out and does something careless. Today it was the Brazilian Neto who managed to blow a good early performance by picking up a couple of yellow cards and finding himself sent off right on the verge of half time. Earlier on 36 minutes it was the dangerous Perna who put Giugliano ahead when he added his 6th goal of the campaign delightfully volleying the ball past Tosti after Cejas' clinical cross. Without Neto we regathered and Sanda replaced the lacklustre Guariglia in attack, despite constant pressure and loads of possession we could only create a couple of real chances with Rocco shooting wide from the edge of the area and then Conti firing straight at the brilliant Gragnaniello in goals for Giugliano. It ended 1-0 to the away side and our slide down the table continued.

Goals - (Giugliano) Perna 36

Attendance - 2855

Sorrento 0-1 Giugliano

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was a match that really got away from us after a positive start. Di Ruocco looked dangerous up front and Buonomo was superb all day but we never created enough chances to be honest. When Giugliano went ahead and we went down to ten men it became even tougher and I'm not surprised after seeing this match that they are on top of Girone C in the Serie C2.

The away match to Vigor Lamezia looks like being a real tough one, Vigor are currently 6th in the table ten places and nine points ahead of us and with a long bus trip down to the Golfo di Sant'Eufemia we will not be taking anything for granted. In the Uruguayan Emilio Belmonte they have a versatile and dangerous striker and veteran stopper Luca Altomare has been dominant in midfield early on this season.

Suspensions ruled the selection table this week with both Neto and Buonomo out after collecting red and yellow cards respectively last week. I have chosen to mix things up a bit due to the enforced changes, we go in desperate for points and I've included a three pronged strike force with both Sanda and Balzamo playing off the main forward Guariglia. 19 year old Antonio Esposito steps into the spotlight alone in the centre of midfield as he is asked to play Buonomo's holding midfield role.

Vigor Lamezia @ Guido D'Ippolito, Lamezia Terme - Serie C2/C

For 90 minutes I thought we were going to steal a point today in a match that Vigor Lamezia dominated from the kickoff. Tosti fought hard in goals and kept the home side out until the 94th minute when Caputo curled in a heartbreaking freekick past the valiant keeper at the near post. The three man attack didn't really work today but it was worth the trial, Esposito impressed in a rare start along with Rocco, Gargiulo and Conti who all played to their peak despite the loss.

Goals - (Vigor) Caputo 90

Attendance - 2728

Vigor Lamezia 1-0 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As impressive as we were to almost scrap a point there are no illusions after this match, Vigor deserved the win and they got it albeit quite late in the match. Esposito was superb deputising for Buonomo and Neto today but we will be pleased to see both these players return from suspension for the match against Cavese next week.

Local neighbours Cavese make the small journey west across the peninsula to take it up to us on Sunday and as we challenge another side well above us on the table it will be up to us to take points off the more favoured side. Sanda has frustratingly tweaked his groin again this week and will miss a couple more weeks now. Coming into the side today we see Buonomo and Neto return at the expense of Sanda and Esposito and Costabile replaces Merito on the right wing merry-go-round as the only other change.

Cavese @ Stadio Italia, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

Our winless run extends to 9 matches with 3 losses in a row thanks to an Angeletti strike on 17 minutes. Realistically today was possibly our poorest effort for the season without managing to get a single strike on target and with strikers Guariglia and Balzamo benched early in the second half. Maraucci was left to play the lone striking role after Ferrara managed to get himself sent off for the second time this season by picking up his second yellow card on just 32 minutes. 1-0 down and then also down to 10 men at the half we gave the strong home crowd little to cheer about in a lacklustre second half which saw Cavese claim a well deserved away win at our expense.

Goals - (Cavese) Angeletti 17

Attendance - 2509

Sorrento 0-1 Cavese

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surprisingly locally there have been no calls for my head. There has barely been a murmur and in all honesty I would have expected more, there really does appear to be a lack of passion about this club and whilst I'm not disappointed that I know that my job is safe I would have hoped that a few locals would have at least found the time to abuse me about the poor state of affairs that is my football club right now. Show some passion, some spirit people. This wouldn't happen in Napoli!

With our current run of form I sat down with my tactical specialist Mario Capace to attempt to devise a 4-5-1 formation for this weeks fixture against the highly rated Castel di Sangro. Don't misunderstand me now I know that our biggest problem so far this season has been scoring goals but we believe that we can structure a formation with five across the middle with them all encouraged to get forward and support the lone striker. Time will tell but lets see what happens, a change is necessary as we cannot go on waiting for things to start working or we will find ourselves entrenched in the bottom six and the playout zone.

• 2 weeks later...

Castel di Sangro possess the young man that I believe could well be the most talented player in this league in 18 year old central midfielder Andrea Lorenzo who arrived in the tiny mountainous town on loan from Perugia earlier this season. They sit 9th currently and as we look to stop our winless run from continuing to 10 matches we will be granted no charity today. The previously discussed 4-5-1 formation comes into play today with Guariglia the lone striker ahead of Costabile, Buonomo, Neto, Conti and Merito in the midfield. Pezzella comes in for the suspended Ferrara along with Rocco, Aruta and Gargiulo at the back in front of the reliable stalwart in goals.

Castel di Sangro @ Teofilo Patini, Castel di Sangro - Serie C2/C

The home side started briskly with Marini looking dangerous everytime he got near the ball and the youngster Lorenzo's class was clearly evident as he made Buonomo look repeatedly slow of foot and slower of mind. Eventually La Porta drove the home side ahead when a loose ball fell to the flanker on 43 minutes. Marini made it 2-0 on a breakaway goal with half an hour left making matters even tougher for us in a match that was looking tricky when we were on level terms. We pulled one goal back when Neto glanced us into the match from Conti's left sided cross with a header that he knew little about from where I was standing. A bit of luck but we received little more in the remaining 10 minutes as the match ended in our historic 10th match on the trot without a victory this season.

Goals - (Castel di Sangro) La Porta 43, Marini 66 - (Sorrento) Neto 80

Attendance - 1567

Castel di Sangro 2-1 Sorrento

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the 4-5-1 didn't exactly work but at least we did score our first goal after five previous goal-less matches. Castel di Sangro were superior today but we managed to strangle the game well for most of the first half until the eventual breakthrough and from there the match became a wrestle that we never looked like winning.

Cheers usko and spav! There might me a whiff of change in the breeze, or that may just be my socks?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">13.12.04

Piccolino Stirs Sleepy Town

AS Sorrento boss Cristian Piccolino has unbelievably taken a shot at his own coaching in recent weeks after two months of winless football. On local radio Piccolino was heard to criticise the inhabitants of Sorrento for not expecting more of him so far this season and for accepting the mediocrity that the side had been dishing up recently. He has pleaded with the Sorrentini to be critical of him and to expect nothing short of victory everytime his boys grace the pitch. He is of the belief that this is the only way this club will ever succeed. Pressure is required both internally and externally for AS Sorrento to become that which Piccolino dreams that they will. A stunning move but it might just wake this sleepy town. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Today 2nd place Potenza visit the comunale as we look to end our run of 4 losses in as many games and of course the 10 games without a win. Potenza are a very strong side this season with quality midfielders De Simone and Velardi pulling the strings from the middle of the park. After a few different formations recently for today's home match against Potenza we resorted to the 4-4-2 that we had started the season with. Ferrara returns from suspension at the back and the extra striker Balzamo comes in for the midfielder Merito.

Potenza @ Stadio Italia, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

Not surprisingly given our current form less than a thousand locals turned up for today's game but those that did turn up certainly got value for their euro. On just 6 minutes Balzamo was fouled right on the edge of the box and Buonomo duly drove the chance into the top corner of the Potenza goal giving us a rare lead this season. Unbelievably after working hard for the lead we conceded an equaliser just 2 minutes later through a towering Barbera header for the away side. It's always disappointing to concede a goal so soon after taking the lead but we regained composure swiftly and Neto crushed a drive past Cinalli in the Potenza goal to regain the lead on 16 minutes. Cinalli found himself in trouble again on 71 minutes when Costabile's header was parried wide into the path on Neto, the Potenza defence had pushed out and whilst Cinalli managed to close down the angle of the Brazilian he couldn't stop him from crossing the ball for the unmarked Sanda to tap the ball into the open goal. 3-1 and we had finally put a stop to the horrendous run of form that had haunted us for the past 3 months.

Goals - (Sorrento) Buonomo 6, Neto 16, Sanda 71 - (Potenza) Barbera 8

Attendance - 803

Sorrento 3-1 Potenza

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Relief was the word of the day today! Buonomo was brilliant leading from the front today with his delightful distribution and could easily have scored more than the one goal he ended up with. We looked sharp up front all match and whilst Guariglia fought hard as always we were increasingly dangerous when Sanda joined the tricky Balzamo for the final 25 minutes. A win is a win and when it's December and it's your second win for the league season you certainly take the 3 points greatfully. Amazingly my outburst midweek about a lack of passion has turned the fans away today with just 803 people witnessing this crucial win. Maybe I will need to rethink my motivational techniques here in Sorrento since that obviously didn't have the desired effect.

So, I'm thinking you probably figure you perform better with a bit of pressure - so you go out, create it yourself.

Bout time the lads started putting in the effort.

Bit like liverpool this year. Redmen just couldn't score if set them in front of a large building housing livestock and hay and handed them a four stringed musical instrument to have a whack at it. Hopefully we'll snap to life like your lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the support lads! Btw usko being a palace fan i really can't feel your pain over the reds situation

Our final match before a two week break over Christmas and the new year sees mid table Manfredonia visit the comunale this Thursday evening. After a spectacular return to form on Sunday it is crucial that we back it up with another solid performance this week. In team news Gargiulo will be missed at the back with suspension after picking up another yellow card against Potenza. Pezzella replaces Gargiulo and Russo replaces Conti on the left wing.

Manfredonia @ Stadio Italia, Sorrento - Serie C2/C

There were no Christmas presents today. Manfredonia are well above us in the league and today they showed why. Despite another inspirational performance by Russo on the left (capping it with a well taken goal) we were simply not good enough.

Goals - (Sorrento) Russo 48 - (Manfredonia) Turore 21, Pellegrino 83

Attendance - 1080

Sorrento 1-2 Manfredonia

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Despite todays loss the Potenza result has certainly put some spring into things around the club as we all look forward to the week off for Christmas. I feel that we need to strengthen a couple of areas and with limited resources I will searching for a striker with that golden touch. We need goals. It's as simple as that really. To survive this league we need to become more dangerous, this season we have been steady and steady has not won us many games so we will change things.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's on to the Christmas and New Year's celebrations before we even begin to worry about Juve Stabia and the fact that we sit rather awkwardly in 15th place well and truly entrenched in the playout zone. For those of you less knowledgable types the Serie C2 system involves a playout series for relegation to the obscurity of Serie D and beyond. The bottom placed side is automatically relegated (in the Serie C2/C's case this is the 18th placed side), from there the sides ranked 14th to 17th will playoff in a playout series (14 vs 17 and 15 vs 16) of home and away matches with the two losers losing big time and being relegated. Clear now?

Getting back to the point. It's roughly the midway point of the season and we are in 15th place with just 13 points and 4 points adrift from guaranteed safety. Things are not good but we must always look on the bright side. Sitting at Piazza Angelina Lauro with Mario and my onfield leadership team of Sal (Buonomo) and Marcello (Ferrara) we shared a few Nastro's in the mild winter sunshine as the first half of the season was consumately deconstructed. The target of our process was the serious lack of anything half tenacious in our match play. Whether it be the lack of goalscoring prowess or merely the lack of steady heads amongst the boys there was no spark, and there hadn't been one for quite a while. The final Nastro hit the floor along with the realisation that we needed new blood and we needed it now. The minute the transfer window opens it will be myself along with Mario and Castellano hitting the phones and sourcing prospective targets in time for our next fixture on the 8th of January against high flying Juve Stabia. We need experience to help dig us out of this hole. We will find the players to get us out of here.

• 4 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haze.13:

Melfi make the three hour trip across from the Apulia to take us on in our final match in a hectic October. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mighty Melfi is in Basilicata not in Apulia icon_wink.gif I just play them ...

What happened to your story? Liked reading it as I spent a week in Sorrento in February. In real life the team went down to Serie D last year.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake there Loeffle! I try to do my research but sometimes get it just a bit wrong icon_wink.gif

By the way you've inspired me to up this story again with a slight twist to bring it up to date. So thanks mate icon14.gif

The past few months have been a blur. Well more of a drunken haze of depression and guilt to be honest. Looking back now I am not proud of what has happened in Sorrento, but that's life isn't it. I have just found the final entry I made of my time in Sorrento and it's quite the sombre read when you're looking back.

Consecutive losses confirm that one win doesn't make it a return to form just as our one win early in the season didn't mean we were on our way to bigger and better things. The squad seems to be lacking that touch of luck right now but I am happy with the way the boys are going about their football, two losses in two weeks down to lucky goals by the opposition just stings me personally. Chin up time but with our current striker issues compounded by Sanda's suspension we are desperately hoping to announce a further signing before this weeks fixture.

The short end of the tale goes a little like this. As much as I'd hoped to be able to turn things around for the club things just went from bad to worse, the form was becoming frustrating and I blamed myself. Signor Castellano (the Chairman) was very patient with me but when I suggested to him that perhaps it would be better for everyone if Mario Capace took over the reigns he was not about to object. This was back in February last year (2005) and the story plays out with Capace so nearly saving AS Sorrento from the dreaded relegation. Yes, 'so nearly' is a phrase that just about sums up Sorrento and football. Via the play-outs Sorrento failed under Capace and were back into the vast caverns of Serie D. You may notice that I'm already referring to Sorrento as they rather than we and to be fair that is the way it must be. Despite the romantic notions of grandeur just eighteen months ago now I am man enough to admit that Sorrento and I just didn't work.

I'd always felt that I was handling the small failures well but then one day it all just hit me. It was two weeks after new years actually and I ended up back at my apartment crying tears of failure into the lap of Mariana. The results of the past few weeks had become so destructive that I'd become a headcase. Every decision had become massive and each consequence was just causing too much heartache and anguish. Mariana firmly believes that I have psychological issues with my relationship with Liv and that I had used football to try to replace her in my new life. I jokingly insisted that was not true, obviously I had used her (Mariana) to replace my former love and not football. I doubt she thought it was the time for jokes and was insistent that I head away for a while to deal with my inner demons and live a life without the crutch of alcohol and football. That could take a while I remember saying. Searching for a laugh from her gorgeous face but getting nothing but sympathy.

Supportingly she held me before reinforcing - and I remember this word for word - "You go for as long as you need to get square with yourself Cris. If you can't do it for yourself then please... do it for me"

I haven't seen Mariana for almost a year now and my life is worse than ever. I have been fortunate that my Italian family in Certaldo in the Val d'Elsa near Siena have taken me in. They have never questioned my ambition and are more than happy for me to live with and off them until I inform them that I can go on my own again. My time in Sorrento has rarely been mentioned in the past year and my life has revolved around drunken weekends with my cousins and hangover filled weekdays killing time with my unemployed cousin Gino. On the positive my Italian has improved greatly, but my head feels more screwed up than ever.

I am not thinking of Liv as much though of which Mariana would be proud! Ironically am thinking of Mariana more than ever and I long for her in a way that I'd never done for Liv. I have sworn to stay away from Mariana until my life is clearer and I have something to offer her. Only time will tell now I guess.

So yes this story has found some new life. But not as you knew it.

Since it's my story I'm changing the rules and when the game picks up eventually it'll be in the FM2006 incarnation rather than 05. It will all be worth it in the end I assure you icon_biggrin.gif

Thursday 13th April 2006

Milan, Italy

"Why Milan?" I heard my Mums gentle voice repeating herself. The phone echoed over and over again before I finally responded, "Why not?"

Sure not exactly the most articulate of responses but I was not really in the most articulate of moods. Mum soon took the hint that I wasn't on for a deep chat, she wished me Happy Birthday again before hanging up and leaving me to myself. Why Milan? I thought out loud. Well we have to go back to last Sunday to get the full story...

Stirring to see the whitewashed walls of the outside of my cousin's house in Certaldo I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to clear the blur that was my vision. No luck. From my position laying on the cobble-stoned street I was squinting at the glare still barely able to make out a person knocking on Gino's front door quite aggressively.

Struggling to get up I rummaged through the pockets of my jacket looking for my keys with no results. "That I'm guessing is why I slept on the street last night" I said out loud to no-one in particular.

"What do you I want?" I questioned the apparent stranger at the door.

Gino replied angrily, "Piccolino! What the hell were you doing down there? Let me in you idiot"

"Umm, I can't. I think I lost your keys last night mate" I cringed, waiting for Gino to explode.

"You gotta get your sh*t together cuz! I'm going down to Nonna's. She got a spare key to get us in" Gino paused looking sternly at me before continuing, "Just stay here till I get back okay, we seriously need to talk"

To bring it back to the present situation, that talk ended with me packing my stuff and heading to the bus depot. I was out of that place. I'd clearly pushed the limits of little Certaldo and my family despite what they'll say to my face. It's time to move on and Milan is where it's all happening. So here I am looking for work in a crazy city full of finance and fashion. It's not exactly Sorrento but it'll do for now. My 34th birthday was celebrated on my own with my good mates Jack Daniels and Johnny Walker. Just as the night looked to be fading into my 35th year my mobile vibrated, momentarily stirring me. Another heartless birthday message no doubt...

So, when r u free so we can catch up? I hava a lil sumthin planned that u mite enjoy. Lemme know sweet cheeks. Cheerio!

It was of course Mariana.

Thursday 20th April 2006

Milan, Italy

One of the first memories of Italian football I have is watching AC Milan versus Inter Milan at the San Siro on a Sunday morning on SBS back in Melbourne. Viewing the great stadium up close in person and it is just as majestic as I remember it being all those years ago. Valencia of Spain were visiting for the first leg of the UEFA Cup Semi Final and I was there.

The match itself was - how can I put this nicely - absolute rubbish! A nil-all draw with about as many decent chances as I remember Sorrento creating back in the Winter of 2004. However one interesting moment made the night more than worth it for me personally. I ventured out of my seat to grab a couple of coffees as the game approached half-time and there was a stifled call I'd just managed to hear over the murmurs of the Milanese. Turning I heard the call again, "Eh! Piccolino! Eh it's me Mario"

"Capace you pig, get over here!" I yelled back. Before I'd even finished what I was saying Mario was up next to me throwing both his arms around me and planting a kiss on both my cheeks.

"What are you doing here in Milan?" I queried.

"I should be asking you the same question eh! But since you asked first, I'm working here now"

"What here at Milan?" I was shocked, sure I respected Mario but he wasn't really that great a coach.

He looked as shocked as I was, "What AC Milan? No, no, no, but I am still coaching. Not far from here actually, about 30 kilometres to the North-West in a town called Legnano. Si they've got a Serie C2 side there too but it's in Girone A not C where we - I mean Sorrento - used to play"

"Yeah I do that too. It was hard to detach myself from that team - and that town - but things are better now" I think I was assuring myself as much as I was Mario, "Anyway, you want to grab a coffee? I need one and there's someone sitting next to me who's desperate for a hit as well"

With that comment Mario turned to where I had gestured before glancing back at me and offering a cheeky wink, "You sneeky b*stard! Mariana eh! Does Castellano know she's here? With you?"

"Aww, I doubt it mate. Anyway it's not like that"

The rest of the night was very enjoyable I must say. As the night continued after the match back at Capace's place in Legnano it was suggested - amongst other things - that Mariana and I come out to watch his side playing their Serie C2 match on Sunday. Why not? I remember thinking, it could be fun after all. Later despite Capace's predictable encouragement I decided not to drink on strong with him there in Legnano, instead we returned to my apartment in one of the cheaper haunts of Milan to spend the rest of the night. Notably we (Mariana and I that is) has spent the 48 hours prior to the match at the San Siro inside this very apartment and those memories will remain with me for a while I tell you. If you remember rightly Mariana had a little something that she thought I might enjoy. I can tell you now... she was right!

Thursday 20th April 2006

Milan, Italy

One of the first memories of Italian football I have is watching AC Milan versus Inter Milan at the San Siro on a Sunday morning on SBS back in Melbourne. Viewing the great stadium up close in person and it is just as majestic as I remember it being all those years ago. Valencia of Spain were visiting for the first leg of the UEFA Cup Semi Final and I was there.

The match itself was - how can I put this nicely - absolute rubbish! A nil-all draw with about as many decent chances as I remember Sorrento creating back in the Winter of 2004. However one interesting moment made the night more than worth it for me personally. I ventured out of my seat to grab a couple of coffees as the game approached half-time and there was a stifled call I'd just managed to hear over the murmurs of the Milanese. Turning I heard the call again, "Eh! Piccolino! Eh it's me Mario"

"Capace you pig, get over here!" I yelled back. Before I'd even finished what I was saying Mario was up next to me throwing both his arms around me and planting a kiss on both my cheeks.

"What are you doing here in Milan?" I queried.

"I should be asking you the same question eh! But since you asked first, I'm working here now"

"What here at Milan?" I was shocked, sure I respected Mario but he wasn't really that great a coach.

He looked as shocked as I was, "What AC Milan? No, no, no, but I am still coaching. Not far from here actually, about 30 kilometres to the North-West in a town called Legnano. Si they've got a Serie C2 side there too but it's in Girone A not C where we - I mean Sorrento - used to play"

"Yeah I do that too. It was hard to detach myself from that team - and that town - but things are better now" I think I was assuring myself as much as I was Mario, "Anyway, you want to grab a coffee? I need one and there's someone sitting next to me who's desperate for a hit as well"

With that comment Mario turned to where I had gestured before glancing back at me and offering a cheeky wink, "You sneeky b*stard! Mariana eh! Does Castellano know she's here? With you?"

"Aww, I doubt it mate. Anyway it's not like that"

The rest of the night was very enjoyable I must say. As the night continued after the match back at Capace's place in Legnano it was suggested - amongst other things - that Mariana and I come out to watch his side playing their Serie C2 match on Sunday. Why not? I remember thinking, it could be fun after all. Later despite Capace's predictable encouragement I decided not to drink on strong with him there in Legnano, instead we returned to my apartment in one of the cheaper haunts of Milan to spend the rest of the night. Notably we (Mariana and I that is) has spent the 48 hours prior to the match at the San Siro inside this very apartment and those memories will remain with me for a while I tell you. If you remember rightly Mariana had a little something that she thought I might enjoy. I can tell you now... she was right!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haze.13:

Thanks for pointing out my mistake there Loeffle! I try to do my research but sometimes get it just a bit wrong icon_wink.gif

By the way you've inspired me to up this story again with a slight twist to bring it up to date. So thanks mate icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are welcome icon_wink.gif If you need some ideas, just find my "Melfi" story in this forum. Sadly that game is dead now icon_frown.gif

• 1 month later...

Saturday 22nd April 2006

Milan, Italy

I feel that I at least owe it to you to explain how the whole situation with Mariana had evolved.

Not only was the entire thing somewhat of a secret around Sorrento but I knew when it started that if Castellano ever found out he would have my balls for dinner, washed down with a nice shiraz no doubt. Anyway during that less than auspicious season in Sorrento Mariana had become my confidant - she was in fact the only person in town that wasn't interested talking to me about football - every doubt and care I had in the world was burdened upon her slender yet firm shoulders. During this time not once did she complain. Not once did she question my actions. Mariana had fast become my rock, the one person in this country that I could truly rely on. It was just a shame that I could not be that person to her.

As the daughter of the chairmen there are certain expectations. The greatest of these expectations is that you do not disrespect the club by your actions. This of course meant that someone in Mariana's position would never bring disrepute to the club or family by becoming involved with a player or official of the football club. Well it was a bit late for all this to stop so it became what it could only be, an invisible relationship. It was like we were 14 years old running around behind our parents backs. Well she was I suppose (behind her parents back that is, not 14 thankfully) and it just felt wrong. After the initial fireworks wore off we decided it would be easier to just remain friends for both our sakes and more importantly I needed it for my short term sanity. As things in Sorrento got the better of me it was always Mariana that was there for me. She was the only one that knew about my issues, to be honest she was the only one that cared after the announcement that I would not be completing the season. But that was fair enough. A lot of people had put their trust in me and I felt that I had failed them. I would not need their acceptance, the decision to quit was a selfish one that I and I alone would need to understand. Still 'she' was always there for me.

The time away in Certaldo almost tore my heart out. I was too stubborn to allow Mariana to see me in this state and it just made the matter worse. Without her I was going down in a big way. However if I had let her see me as I was she would never respect me the way I would have it be. Well I guess you know the rest of the story for now. I go to Milan to clean up and get some work, Mariana comes to visit as a late birthday present, things develop and in a big city the anonymity of it all allows us to be as we'd wished for the past eighteen months. Short but sweet though as Mariana had to return to Sorrento immediately on Monday morning. Still we have tonight and then the match in Legnano tomorrow to catch up with Mario again before she has to leave. Temporarily she assures me.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 29th April 2006

Accra, Ghana

How time flies. Just over a month ago - at Mario's insistence - I was watching a little club by the name of Legnano on a Sunday afternoon with Mariana by my side. As it happens they weren't that bad a side. Mario waved to us a couple of times from the dugout. To be fair it would have been hard for him to miss us when we were amongst just five-hundred odd supporters. In any case like I said just over a month ago I was in Legnano, Italy with my two closest friends this side of the globe. Now I find myself watching some pithy football match and a dusty pitch in the capital of Ghana. Yep Ghana, West Africa.

Following the match in Legnano - the home side beating Portosummago 1-0 in the end - Mario asked us to celebrate the win in the clubrooms with the staff. I was hesitant initially, but Mariana thought it would be good for me to have a look inside a football club again. The players were jubilant - the side looked well on it's way to promotion from Serie C2/A - at the time Mario introduced me to a few of the boys. Surprisingly a few of them knew of me after my time with Sorrento. Meeting the players was great but I knew it would the staff that would be more hesitant with me. What had Mario told them about my circumstances? Had he told them anything? As it turned out I was getting worked up about nothing. After meeting a couple of physios I soon met the clubs manager, Michele Della Rosa. An enigmatic and very affable gentleman Della Rosa was every bit the man Mario had made him out to be. I was actually a bit taken back to think that after working under me Mario had moved on to work with this utter professional and credit to the game. I felt like I could just vanish and no-one would have missed me in Sorrento. This Della Rosa had such presence for a gentle and unimposing man. To my total surprise Della Rosa initiated the conversation.

"Welcome Cristiano! It is a pleasure to have you with us here in little Legnano today"

I was shocked that he even knew who I was, "Err, thankyou for allowing me in here Signor Della Rosa"

Della Rosa continues, "Let me be the first to say that I have great respect for what you took upon your shoulders in Sorrento. You showed pride and courage, Capace here has told me much about you and I feel sorry that you have been out of the game for over a year now"

"Please Signor Della Rosa, my time since Sorrento has been difficult but I lay no blame on others. I wear the burden of my failures and I expect no sympathy - despite the sincerity - from men of your status. But thankyou none the less"

With that Della Rosa merely nodded his head and excused himself. Mario didn't understand why I had been so defensive about accepting a little sympathy, it was more than that though. I didn't feel that I belonged amongst these men. These people were successes, they were doing what they loved and doing it well. I was just an abject failure. I had driven a club to relegation and not even stood by as a proud leader would. Getting over my internal turmoil I had noticed that I was standing alone in the middle of the room. Della Rosa with Mario by his side was approaching me purposefully.

"Cristiano I have an offer for you" Della Rosa looked excited.

"I have been speaking with Capace and we think you should stay here in Legnano for a while. We have a few projects for you"

I was not sure about this, "What kind of projects?"

"Well we have only one scout here after Signor Lantari departed last month. Do you like to travel Cristano?"

"You want me to be a scout for your club?"

"Well I'll have to run it past the chairman first but I see know reason why we could not hire you on a short term contract and see how things develop" Della Rosa seemed determined to have me accept this position.

I looked at Mariana, she had returned just in time to hear the last couple of minutes of the conversation. She nodded at me with a look that I'd last seen on my mothers face back home many years ago now.

A brief monent's silence passed before I answered, "Yes then. I'd love to do it. Just one question, will I just be a scout or do you see a greater role for a man of my experience? I mean there are not many former managers that are now mere scouts in this league"

"Sure, to begin you will scout. But I do have grander plans for you Piccolino. No disrespect to the scouts in this game but you offer much more than they ever can" Della Rosa was reassuring in his reply.

So yes, that was how it had come to be that I find myself in Accra. I was sent here to have a look at a few players from various clubs in West Africa. Today it was a 24 year old imposing Ghanaian centre half. At 6'2" Anthony Baffoe of the Asante Kotoko club towered over me as I handed him my new business card with the AC Legnano insignia.

"Thankyou sir. So you say you will call me then?" Baffoe was polite in his response.

"Yeah Anthony. I will show our manager Mr Della Rosa the tapes and let him know that I think you would be a great acquisition to our club. Trust me I will be in touch" I found that I genuinely liked this guy.

Parting ways with Baffoe and Ghana I headed to Senegal for a brief spot before I returned to Legnano with the findings of my first scouting mission. Since being away for a few weeks now and seeing Mariana return to Sorrento I realised that life would go on and if things were to be they would work out in time. I knew how she felt about me and she certainly knew what I felt for her.

• 1 month later...

Saturday 6th May 2006

Rome, Italy

Well my new life as a semi-professional football scout is well underway, this evening I find myself in Rome before heading to somewhere in France before going up to Germany to find out where exactly Wolfsburg is. My new boss Signor Della Rosa had handed me a list of players that I would be looking at. Despite only having one scout it seems Della Rosa, or should I say Michele - as he insists I call him, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me - has his finger on the pulse when it comes to footballing potential and talent. Anyway the simple fact is that I will spend the next couple of weeks in three countries looking at anyone that we can pick up on the cheap. Michele pulled me aside the other day after returning from Africa to explain the clubs financial situation. Quite simply, it is not good. It appears that we will not have much - if anything - to spend during the summer, so our primary targets will be those that either come from lower levels (of which there aren't really too many!) or those who's contracts are running out soon. Incidently Michele is impressed with my tapes of Baffoe and it looks like Asante Kotoko's fee will not be a problem.

So here we go, my latest two week holiday begun tonight with the viewing of twenty-two year old holding midfielder Christian Scarlato, running out with Roma's underage side he looks very solid. This season we have been combative in midfield according to Michele but Scarlato can add a touch of class. He has touch, he has a shot, he can tackle, and he doesn't mind spraying the ball around a bit, you can see that he's come through a very good underage system. Fortunately for us it appears - according to his agent - that he is not happy being outside the first team squad at Roma, now to be fair the boy is not Serie A material yet and anyone can see that. I will definately be suggesting that we table a contract and with any luck no club bigger than the mighty Legnano come in for him. Deep down I can't help but think that we are not the only club looking at Christian and if we get him we will be lucky.

Train to France tomorrow morning, where is Lens then? A couple of players have been tagged by Michele for this leg, twenty year old centre back Kamil Zayatte and his team-mate at Lens twenty-one year old striker Jimmy Kébé. I've only been to France once before and only really saw Paris and a bit of Nice and the south coast. I guess I'll find out where Lens is soon enough. I'll see if either of these boys can play as well.

Monday 8th May 2006

Lens, France

I regret not doing some research before this latest scouting adventure. I also regret Legnano's current financial state. Sure taking cheap train fares across Europe is romantic as a student, however I feel at this maturing stage of my life I deserve something a little more - umm, well - just a little more gracious than cattle class from Rome to Paris. After spending the best part of almost twenty-four hours on a couple of trains, encompassing a lovely evening at Paris' Gare du Nord train station. A culturally awakening experience if nothing else. I finally found myself in Lens, unfortunately it was the morning after I was due to watch Racing Club de Lens reserves turn out against an outfit from Lille. Turns out that Lens is in the far North of France, inland from Calais and not far south of the Belgian border. I must have been thinking of Lyon when I did those travel calculations.

So it was yesterday morning that I decided to pay a visit to Stade Félix Bollaert to see when the side was training. I decided that honesty was the best policy and when one of the trainers heard of my misfortune it was as if he'd never heard such an amusing mishap. I felt like slapping him as he went around the club yelling, "What day is it? Where is Lens? Why are they not playing this morning? I am stupid American! I am, I am..."

With that I just glared at the fun-loving Frenchie until he gained his senses and shut up. Finally he calmed down, eventually catching the coldness of my dagger-like gaze. The rest of the staff also lost their relaxed smiles.

"I am not an American. I've never been to America. I'll probably never go to America" I spat out, obviously my French is worse than I'd thought. I continued, "I'm a scout from Italy, near Milan actually, little place called Legnano?"

Not surprisingly none of the Lens staff in front of me had any idea where or who Legnano were, infact I'd be surprised if they had any idea what I was going on about what so ever. Thankfully this rather awkward situation - awkward from my point of view anyway - was over as quickly as it had begun with the staff vanishing to all corners of the club as the local chapel's bell tower chimed for ten o'clock. Now before you start just don't bother chastising me if there is no bell-tower in Lens. I didn't think to find out for sure, and to be honest I don't really care. But there was a bell like noise at ten, or it may have been a car horn? Or a train? Or maybe one of those wee bells on a bicycle? In any case it dispersed the club staff instantly.

As if right in cue a sleek black Renault slid gracefully to a halt in the club carpark, gaining my attention immediately I turned to view a big, powerful, athletic man slide out of the driver's seat and casually jog towards me as if he hadn't a care in the world. This was to be my first meeting with the precocious twenty-one year old French-born Malian striker Jimmy Kébé, I hoped it wouldn't be my last.

Well the grandeur of the initial meeting did not surprise me after what I'd heard of this Kébé character. A massive talent in France through his junior years Jimmy had not reached his true potential with Lens' first team - playing just a handful of matches and scoring a couple of times - and he had decided his future was not with Lens, Kébé was not signing a new contract. After speaking with Jimmy I soon discovered that he had little time for playing second fiddle to anyone, he was 'the man' and he wanted to be treated suitably by whichever club he ended up at. The main drawback I see currently is his wage bill. I know that he could replace the exciting Laurent Lanteri who returns to Monaco, but I wonder if the Legnano board would baulk at Jimmy's wage demands. We will see. In our favour is the fact that no big or even medium sized club will touch him due to his seemingly unjustified demands of being the number one striker. We can afford a risk since our strikeforce will be non-existent next season after we lose the twenty-goals of Lanteri back to France.

Incidentally after speaking and then seeing Kébé in action at the training ground, I also had a glance over his twenty year old team-mate, the central defender Kamil Zayatte. Kamil has game and is clearly good enough for us. I spoke to him briefly and he gave me his word that if the contract was tabled this June then he would be at Legnano for training on the first of July. Equally important to my ears were his final words before hitting the showers with a smile across his face.

"...you want Jimmy to sign as well just let me know, he's a bit out of left-field but I know how he ticks, Jimmy and I have played on the streets together since we were eight years old you know. He's a good kid!"

With that I was sold. Now I just had to convince Michele and the board.

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday 10th May 2006

Wolfsburg, Germany

Next stop Germany, I couldn't help but wonder just how long I could do this gig. Every day a new city, every night a different bed. I'm just not sure that I'm cut out for it. I'd decided to make the most of all this spare time, with a few hours on my hands I read a bit of German history whilst on the train to Wolfsburg. Turns out that the town itself was only built to house the workers in the Volkswagen factory in 1938. We all know what else was happening around 1938 don't we! Yeah that's right, the town of Wolfsburg (now a city with over 100,000 occupants) was originally built by the Nazi's. Yes - those Nazi's. We'd better keep an eye on this Ebeling fellow if we do sign him then.

The train again. Through to Metz, then Saarbrucken, Frankfurt and Kassel before smoothly coming to halt at the Bahnhof Wolfsburg platform, welcome to Lower Saxony. Despite my initial protestations I was becoming more comfortable on the trains of Europe. Then again maybe my current feelings merely reflect the state of the German rail system when compared with that of Italy and France. The hospitality was amazing and despite my terrible German I even found myself receiving precisely what I had ordered at the bar. What a bizarre notion - don't tell the French about it! Admittedly I had again succumbed to those nasty Kronenburg’s well before midday - just as I'd done eight years earlier in a very similar situation involving a bar and a very fast train in this familiar part of the world.

Once in Wolfsburg I settled on a particularly dodgy looking taxi, after the serene train trip I'd just experienced I was feeling a little adventurous you know. Unfortunately the cabby I chose decided that he’d like to converse with me, “You a nice looking man, yar – you here on business?†His thick Turkish accent was bizarrely mashed with broken English and some less broken but equally poor German.

What had my travel-case and sports suit given it away – I wondered sarcastically, “Yes, business of sorts.†I replied eventually as he threw my case into the taxi.

“You want the red-light then yar?!â€

Was he asking me or telling me? The red-light? Err, no I hadn’t come to Wolfsburg to pick up some unidentifiable sexually transmitted disease - as much fun as that sounds - I have work to do, “No thankyou. Please take me to the cheapest hotel near the Volkswagen Arena.â€

Finally after great consternation and a typically heated discussion with a couple of fellow Turk cabbies he agreed to take me as requested seemingly even to the place I’d requested. This was going well! I soon found out why the driver seemed so annoyed. The drive turned out to be little more than five minutes from the train station. Upon pulling into the Tryp Wolfsburg Hotel I was confidently informed that the stadium was just a few hundred metres away.

As is so often the case with many stadiums in Germany, the Volkswagen Arena is set away from the built up area of the city. Sitting amongst the fields of Saxony the stadium sure is imposing with its post-post-modern facade of steel framework and glass panelling. I won't show Lars any pictures of the Giovanni Mari in Legnano just yet! Opting not to get a cab the short distance to the stadium, not due to the desire for exercise but rather prefering not to have to justify my actions to another taxi driver. You can tell by the desires of the cabbies that Wolfsburg is a business city. This is definitely a business city, and quite the greasy, slippery, sick type of business if you get my drift.

So yes, here I was at a football club based in a strange feeling city built by Hitler for his lovely cars. Lars Ebeling is the man I'm here for, who at just twenty-one has age on his side and is apparently more than happy to move over to Italy and try out with us, his ambitions with Vfl Wolfsburg have come to a premature end after not breaking through from the youth ranks over the past couple of years.

Following a meaningless afternoon of pottering around the hotel room finally I would be seeing German left back Lars Ebeling in action. Or so I'd thought. The players rolled out in the white and green training kits of Vfl Wolfsburg but of Ebeling there was no sign, I scanned the playing group - no, and that's when I saw him - sidelined by injury. I forced myself to sit through the session just in case someone else captured my attention, I soon realised that I was wasting my time. We just couldn't afford these guys. I had to find Ebeling and see what's wrong with him.

I found the ear of one of the trainers and soon was introducing myself to young Lars Ebeling, "Cris Piccolino, yeah I was sent here to scout you for AC Legnano in Italy."

Ebeling's face told the story, he looked shattered. Shattered that someone had come all the way from Italy just to look at him. I wasn't about to tell him that he wasn't the only reason I was around, you know, I wanted him to feel like he'd let me down, I wanted him to want to impress me, "So how long will you be in Wolfsburg Mr Piccolino?"

The sincerity of his voice was there for all to hear. I had to break the good news to him, "I'll be here for as long as it takes to see you on the park Ebeling." I wasn't about to go back to Legnano without a proper scouting report on this guy.

Ebeling's relieved smile told the story. Without seeing the kid play I already think he'll be good for us, from what I've seen so far this guy has the most important attribute for a potential Legnano recruit - he wants to play for us. I get the feeling he just wants to play somewhere, anywhere.

We parted on good terms and he took my card, I would be informed the minute he was ready to get back on the pitch. According to the trainers he shouldn't be out for more than a couple of days, he'd just taken a bit of a knock to his knee and the bruising will settle to have him training early this week. Walking back along Willy Brandt Platz towards my hotel I pondered life - just briefly - I was thinking that this scouts life wouldn't be too bad if I had someone with me. A companion would be nice?

I hadn't spoken to Mariana for a couple of weeks, last I heard she was still working with her dad. I wonder how Castellano's going? Not as much as I wonder how his daughter's going though. Only a few more days, then I'm back in Italy.

• 5 weeks later...

Monday 15th May 2006

Wolfsburg, Germany

All this time on my hands and I'm feeling destructive again. I'd spent a good part of the last four days texting back and forth with Mariana in Sorrento - getting nowhere - last night I finally called her. We spoke for hours - the first time in over two weeks that I'd heard her voice - she sounded well. Deep down I'd hoped that she wasn't so well. I wanted her to feel that she wanted me, like I wanted her. I can't help but feel that this is not the case. Enough about me though.

On to the job at hand. Ebeling's relief was obvious, his leg was fine and on approval from the Wolfsburg club doctor I had finally been able to watch him train this morning. How can I describe him in footballing terms? Lars is unspectacular, he is hard-working and diligent - much like Legnano really, the town and the football club for that matter. A player that is not afraid to get a bit of blood on his hands, I respect that, and whilst he is my type of player I'm not sure that his toughness does enough to counter his lack of natural ability. The only word I gave him as we parted ways that we'll have to see how it pans out. There were to be no guarantees this time and deep down I felt that this week had been wasted, I doubt I'll ever see Lars Ebeling again.

Just as I was becoming comfortable in the Tryp Wolfsburg hotel it was time to leave again. As I packed for the train back to Italy once more my mind ventured to thoughts of Mariana, this gamely passion was fast becoming an obsession. Seemingly an unhealthy obsession at that. Thankfully a simple, unadventurous taxi ride back to central Wolfsburg ensued and before long I was boarding the next train headed South for Milan via Switzerland.

"Hey Mario, what's the news eh?"[/]i Bored and inquisitive I had called my former Sorrento colleague.

"..."

"Really? That's great then, so the season has some legs in it still even as we speak."

"..."

"Yeah well, look I should be back in town by Wednesday evening. We'll sort out the rest of the business then, pass on my congratulations to Signor Della Rosa and let him know that the trip has been a success. I'll be back before you know it"

"..."

"Thanks Mario, I will. See you soon mate." With that I curled up with a good book and let myself dream of life as I'd have it were it my choice.

To fill you in Mario had some interesting on-field news from Legnano. Wins over Bassano Virtus (2-0) and Jesolo (2-1) in the closing matches of the season had ensured that the playoffs were our destiny. As the regular season closed we had finished second, a clear six points behind Serie C2/A league champions Bassano. To go with this Serie C Cup semi final win over Monza means that we will have a frantic end to the season. The Serie C Cup final will be played over a couple of legs against Lucchese later this month. In the all important Playoff semi-final we are pitted against fifth placed Pro Vercelli.

It would be a busy close of season.

Archived