Save my Wide Playmaker Tactic

I wanted to build a tactic around a wide playmaker and I like to defend in a 442 shape, so I set up the below tactic.

The idea is for the play to go through the wide playmaker and for him to be the key man in the team. I have Alex Scott in this role, the perfect man for the job. I want him to tuck inside in front of the CMD and behind the advance forward who creates space for him. When on the ball, I want him to drive inside and play though balls to the winger, the advance forward or the overlapping wing back.

However......this hardly ever happens. He does not come in narrow enough no matter what I do, the team can't get the ball to him enough and he is just not involved and not creative.  I have tried him as in IW, AP attack and a wide midfielder. Nothing works. I'm desperate for this to work and am committed to the 442 shape. 

Any ideas? Anybody has success with a wide playmaker?

tactic.png

Just 3 assists.png

4 minutes ago, joebailey141 said:

The idea is for the play to go through the wide playmaker and for him to be the key man in the team.

If you want to build up through a specific area of the pitch, then ask your team to do so by playing through the left wing. Also ask yourself if the player really is that key man you want him to be. If he is just an average player within your squad, you will properbly fail.

8 minutes ago, joebailey141 said:

He does not come in narrow enough no matter what I do

I mean, he still is a wide player. If you want him to be primarily a central player, then you may want to assign him in a more central position. 

Ive noticed, that at least some of your players are not familiar with their role and your tactic. Make sure tactical familiarity is maxed out to have everyone exactly knowing what their role asks them to.

On the tactical side, if you are looking for runs und quick transitions, I would play around with tempo, passing directness, counter instruction and mentality. The intensity of your team is quite low which indicates that your team is building up quite conservatively.

4 hours ago, joebailey141 said:

I wanted to build a tactic around a wide playmaker and I like to defend in a 442 shape, so I set up the below tactic.

The idea is for the play to go through the wide playmaker and for him to be the key man in the team. I have Alex Scott in this role, the perfect man for the job. I want him to tuck inside in front of the CMD and behind the advance forward who creates space for him. When on the ball, I want him to drive inside and play though balls to the winger, the advance forward or the overlapping wing back.

However......this hardly ever happens. He does not come in narrow enough no matter what I do, the team can't get the ball to him enough and he is just not involved and not creative.  I have tried him as in IW, AP attack and a wide midfielder. Nothing works. I'm desperate for this to work and am committed to the 442 shape. 

Well, this is awkward... :lol:

20230529165406_1.jpg.ed2821ac129d65e207fa32b1383ab9fa.jpg 

This is my attempt at doing the exact same thing, but rather with a inside winger (wide playmakers cross less often, wide midfielders don't seem to work as well, because of role familiarity).

The DLP is told to hold position so he doesn't bump heads with the IW, however the IW does bump heads with the WB(a) running down the left wing, even when he's told to sit narrower when the team is in possession. This was also verified on the average positions map where the IW always stays as wide as the WB when in possession. 

When he's got the ball though, he's instructed to take more more risks and cross more, I do get goals and assists out of him. I should also note that I'm the dominant team in my league, and although I have the comparative quality to make it work, I often don't have the space, as most of the league faces me with 3 at the back systems with 2 DM's and wing backs.

Could your issue be that the opposition team is regularly hounding your WP, thus making him less effective?

Edited by Canalma

On 29/05/2023 at 05:13, joebailey141 said:

tactic.png

Just 3 assists.png

If you want him to be the key man for your team, try sticking him on attack duty.

You're also playing on a mid block with no counter option via your instructions and are actually slowing the game down. You'll struggle to make chances regardless of the roles due to that as you're set up to soak up pressure, but not to do damage once you recover possession. 

DLF isn't superb in a midblock as well, and the second striker the supporting role in a 4-4-2 places a huge goal scoring burden on Vitor Roque.

Edited by Cloud9

On 29/05/2023 at 14:13, joebailey141 said:

tactic.png

Just 3 assists.png

Maybe you could try to swap the strikers? I think that in this edition, CMs on defend duty will drop even deeper when there’s no DM. This + the fact that your striker in front of him is an advanced forward, there will be a huge gap (even when defending). The swapping may create an overload to the left side (WP+DLF+WB) to release the right side (AF and IW)

Or you could also try to swap the CMs instead of the strikers, and see what happens with the WP and the CMsu. You could play with a BWMsu instead, if you are afraid that your CMsu will be too close to your WP. If you do this, I would change use a WBsu on both side