[FM23] - Moe Bumbercatch - a European journeyman story - chapter 4 - Juventus

karanhsingh

Meet Moe Bumbercatch, a Swiss/English former professional footballer who's playing career at Richmond AFC was cruelly cut short (in this world) because of a career ending injury. Not to be deterred, he has decided to go straight into management (despite having zero badges or experience), using the ethos taught to him by former manager Ted Lasso and his coaching staff.

moe.jpg.02fd0340702d84be78a3b05f57be6c8b.jpg

While his aim is to eventually make it to the top of the game, there will be a few guiding principles through the journey. Moe will only take charge of the underdog/ challenger type clubs and never the established ones. Also absolutely no clubs that are backed by oil money/ sugar daddies/ tycoons. The aim will be to cultivate a healthy & trusting dressing room atmosphere everywhere, and truly progress each club both on & off the pitch.

Edited by karanhsingh

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the initial set-up in terms of leagues, most I have ever tried to throw at my computer with 15 active nations!

leagues.jpg.fa0b9830e87a9969502a065d54946cc3.jpg

The Challenge League in Switzlerland is deliberately selected in order to hopefully provide the first landing for Moe. With time, will probably look to remove some of the leagues in order to speed up the game.

At the time of Moe's arrival, the club was in the lower reaches of the division but without any immediate danger of relegation. He managed to guide them to a safe mid-table finish, before the work can really begin in earnest over the summer.

table1.jpg.4afea534a263839c29b620aa52255332.jpg

The tactic being employed by Moe is a 4-4-2 loosely inspired by Richmond AFC. In the future, perhaps he will look to move down the AML/R to the ML/R positions in order to have a more hard-working and compact set-up. But for now this suits the players available at his disposal.

442.jpg.2ff65a43b9af96afc0c14cb315bf9154.jpg 

Indeed this entire save is likely to see some variation of the 4-4-2 throughout the entirety of the journey.

Thanks to everyone tuning in! 

Remember to have Team Bonding and Community Outreach Sessions in each training week. 

The Team Bonding sessions work great after matches (especially losses)

I am a big advocate of doing so to get the team cohesion and morale you are looking for. (As close as you can get to Ted Lasso in the game)

23 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Remember to have Team Bonding and Community Outreach Sessions in each training week. 

The Team Bonding sessions work great after matches (especially losses)

I am a big advocate of doing so to get the team cohesion and morale you are looking for. (As close as you can get to Ted Lasso in the game)

I will do that! Good tip. 

The transfers from the summer of 2023 - relying on freebies and loans for now:

transfers.jpg.62b65725cbb97ab5dd2f2ce20466228d.jpg

As soon as we signed this guy, I knew he is going to be the one to fire us to promotion this season. So far, he hasn't let me down.

raimondo.jpg.6a49aefb7183152d2341389cffa27db7.jpg

We find ourselves top of the table at the half-way mark in the Swiss Challenge League

hslf.jpg.7f46d095d6e58695641cc0fa863465d6.jpg

And thanks to the good form the board finally agreed for Moe to get his first coaching license as well! 

natc.jpg.3010091475156d42ca374588ccbccef0.jpg

Slow & steady progress

• karanhsingh changed the title to [FM23] - Moe Bumbercatch - a European journeyman story - chapter 1 - Yverdon Sport FC

Okay, time to wrap up the 2023-24 season with Yverdon.

As expected, we did manage to win the league, thanks in large part to the 32 goals scored by on loan Italian striker Raimundo, which means we grab the only automatic promotion spot to the Swiss Super League.

league.jpg.e20fc7120c9f06e6f5dcaab2ff87fc86.jpg

table2.jpg.605382dd509f48cd3399d04ff5d9cfde.jpg

An interesting news item popped up in my inbox a few days later - something I have never seen before!

delay.jpg.3f66d0cd3c046b534c2624da0f2d2b30.jpg

Now apart from that, we also had a memorable run in the cup, where getting past St. Gallen on a snowy pitch (top spot in the super league at the time) was probably our best result of the season.

gallen.jpg.f88cda17dd4b092b6301321ff6633af9.jpg

Our cup run ended in the semi finals with a deserved defeat in Basel.

basel.jpg.d23fede7ebfeb5313a6b3abea761ef9a.jpg

Over the course of the past few months, Moe also managed to get his National B coaching license, and is now already studying for National A.

natb.jpg.31246ae77bef26dc119135a650d01417.jpg

So this, along with the league win and promotion seems to have boosted his reputation a fair bit.

moe1.jpg.c5465112e540adf8d8e92797b8a17ed9.jpg

Yverdon would definitely be the tiniest club in the Swiss top flight with the smallest budget, stadium and fan-base. Also crucially, Bologna are refusing to send Raimondi back on loan for another season as they want to give him a chance. Recognizing that he has probably taken the club as far as he could, Moe decides to hand in his resignation and leave on a high. And with that, Chapter 1 comes to a close.

Chapter 2

Moe received a number of interesting offers over the summer of 2024.

West Brom - the English club had avoided relegation from the Championship and would definitely present an interesting challenge, also a route into the riches of the English Premier League.

Young Boys - probably the strongest club in Switzlerland, had recently sacked their manager due to a third place finish and trophy-less season.

Standard de Liege - famous Belgian club struggling in mid-table and looking for a fresh start.

AA Gent - see above.

FC Twente - actually had a decent season finishing 5th in an Ajax dominated Eredivisie but had recently had their manager leave.

So I thought about it long and hard - and eventually it came down to two choices. Liege or Young Boys. Liege as @SixPointervery well knows is a hugely attractive club, and the opportunity to return them to the top in Belgium and win their first league title in 20 odd years was very tempting indeed. 

However, I eventually decided to stay in Switzerland with the Young Boys of Bern. Even though this really should not be much of a challenge domestically, we can probably go and buy the best players from other Swiss clubs. What I really want to see is how much of a dent we can make in Europe. And this is probably the only season for it - thanks to finishing 3rd we will be competing in the UEFA Conference League. Which I see as potentially even a winnable competition for a club of Young Boys stature. 

• karanhsingh changed the title to [FM23] - Moe Bumbercatch - a European journeyman story - chapter 2 - Young Boys

Very solid start, good luck at YB! Would love to try journeyman myself at some point (once I'm done with Nancy) got an idea of starting at the bottom with the aim of winning the CL on every continent.

27 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Lovely start to your journey!

Cheers!

13 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Very solid start, good luck at YB! Would love to try journeyman myself at some point (once I'm done with Nancy) got an idea of starting at the bottom with the aim of winning the CL on every continent.

Thanks! I am just focusing on one continent, my PC can't handle any more :lol:

As much West Brom would have probably made it easy for you to then take over a Premier League, or top Championship team, I like the idea of staying in Switzerland with Young Boys, it feels like a more realistic option 

1 hour ago, Swaban said:

As much West Brom would have probably made it easy for you to then take over a Premier League, or top Championship team, I like the idea of staying in Switzerland with Young Boys, it feels like a more realistic option 

Yes agreed. I'm feeling good about the move and the decision. 

Okay, time for some more updates from Young Boys.

A fairly busy summer, with a LOT of money coming in.

trans.jpg.ac19a31cda18a8bd483cab4452feb1d0.jpg

I was sad to see Amenda go as he is a young product of the academy, but he really wanted to leave. Zesiger is an excellent defender too but did not want to deny him a move to the EPL.

The two key players from the incoming transfers are -

becir.jpg.07e6dbabe56cfd9da06159db1d46430a.jpg

Becir Omeragic is an excellent young Swiss defender who replaces outgoing club captain Zesiger and can potentially lead our side for years to come.

zeki.jpg.fc4023705a60f22992a891c0e22bad61.jpg

Zeki Amdouni - another Swiss international and he was available on a free transfer! We had to make him the highest earner in the squad but it should be worthwhile.

Also here are in my mind the two best players from the original squad:

rieder.jpg.da331035ff1f35485e90e4eb8eb3eabc.jpg

What a talent this lad is! For reasons best known to him he rejected a move abroad in the summer to stay with us. However, he will not sign a new deal and has a 19m release clause to foreign clubs. We will enjoy him while we can!

elia.jpg.b133307a975895f5ce3e6357993ade76.jpg

A good pacy forward with an excellent personality to boot, Elia will be crucial both from the wing and up front to our chances this season.

Also we have come up with two new tactics to suit the Young Boys squad.

433.jpg.a1c9fd3c51408cf3c90448b05b3ff229.jpg

The 4-3-3 will probably be our primary tactic and definitely for the harder games - it is designed to get the best out of Rieder.

442flat.jpg.4e540f19a83aeaab3adb6bca9093ae5a.jpg

A flat 4-4-2 this time rather than the one with a VOL because Reider cannot play there.

Good luck with BSC. I had many years managing them in Switzerland and over several versions too.

The league will be a formality and you should be strong in Europe too.

The two new signings you highlighted are good and the two 'originals' spotlighted are also very good quality to build around. And I see Raimondo on loan too :cool:

Nice start to your save! Young Boys will give you a good chance at a European run.

Even if it doesn’t go well, though, remember that it’s not about wins or losses, it’s about making these Young Boys better versions of themselves, on and off the field.

Nice transfer business. Brought in big money using a very realistic feel by not standing in the way of players.

Rieder is definitely one of the players of FM23 for me. I think he’s actually at Real Madrid in my save. He doesn’t get as much recognition on the forums as others. 

16 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck with BSC. I had many years managing them in Switzerland and over several versions too.

The league will be a formality and you should be strong in Europe too.

The two new signings you highlighted are good and the two 'originals' spotlighted are also very good quality to build around. And I see Raimondo on loan too :cool:

Thank you! Did not realize you have some experience with Young Boys yourself :lol:

15 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Love the names of the Tactics!:lol:

Lol thanks :lol:

14 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Nice start to your save! Young Boys will give you a good chance at a European run.

Even if it doesn’t go well, though, remember that it’s not about wins or losses, it’s about making these Young Boys better versions of themselves, on and off the field.

Ha I see what you did there!

7 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Nice transfer business. Brought in big money using a very realistic feel by not standing in the way of players.

Rieder is definitely one of the players of FM23 for me. I think he’s actually at Real Madrid in my save. He doesn’t get as much recognition on the forums as others. 

Thanks! Funny enough, did not know about Rieder before this save. Yes this is definitely true.

4 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Thank you! Did not realize you have some experience with Young Boys yourself :lol:

Haha, that's a joke I heard similar variations of from a work colleague when I was managing them. Combine the Young Boys and their stadium name, you can imagine the extent of the comments.

That's why I now always call them BSC :lol:

52 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Haha, that's a joke I heard similar variations of from a work colleague when I was managing them. Combine the Young Boys and their stadium name, you can imagine the extent of the comments.

Oh yes Wankdorf :lol:

I really wonder what they were thinking when they named the stadium. 

The half-way point report from the 2024-25 season is here.

fix1.jpg.91fae5f1fd4a98829f00c381420316e1.jpg

fix2.jpg.0e9bb1e81e40c3add9e279f57c546b18.jpg

No complaints so far, its been pretty smooth sailing. The Swiss Super league should already be in the bag, while we have qualified comfortably for the knockouts of the Conference league as well.

table3.jpg.f0bef9d1ed5de38d6285bf8c5c60add5.jpg

conftable.jpg.bae6211a0f2c3700904bdec795b00f2b.jpg

I believe Atalanta, Freiburg and Villarreal will pose the biggest threats in Europe, maybe OGC Nice as well.

stats.jpg.54f5ab66ed9473d4630bc4cb0fc65a7f.jpg

Amdouni has made a brilliant start to his Young Boys career, earning his first cap for the Swiss NT as well. Imeri has been an assist machine from the left flank, but there is no doubt in my mind that Fabian Rieder is the best player at the club.

On 04/06/2023 at 14:40, Jogo Bonito said:

And speaking of the stadium, some good news on that front too! Wankdorf is getting even larger!

expan.jpg.87ae14117c3f1fb60782865cb011d109.jpg

Oh wow.  That Wankdorf.  Oh wow.  It's getting bigger and bigger [sorry, couldn't help myself].

One - Bumbercatch has them playing really well.  Seems like you can really focus on Europe with the league all but settled.

And back to the football we go!

The January transfer window brought one significant departure.

eliagone.jpg.f63375e66231decc15b5513549368f19.jpg

At the age of 27, it was time to let Elia try his hand in one of the top European leagues. I did not want to stand in his way, he has been a great servant to the club.

Also by this time we had established that the 4-3-3 was faring better than the 4-4-2 and crucially allowing our best player Rieder to flourish. So the incoming signing had to be someone perfectly comfortable playing the right flank. 

ritsu.jpg.6979f3c5f91ba9d4cb7f100cfb7a2213.jpg

Ritsu Doan was the chosen man. Someone I have often scouted on FM saves but never signed before, I look forward to seeing how he does with our side. He joins from Leipzig for 4.8m after being deemed surplus to requirements there.

So I will first focus on our European campaign, since the league title was all but secure already.

The draw was kind to us - we got fellow Swiss side Basel in the round of 16. I was confident we should comfortably go through.

And so we did:

basel.jpg.3723d37ac402d40a805c313aea3416ab.jpg

However after this, our European bid took a big hit with the below news item - we were rocked by the announcement that our top scorer and one of the best players at the club had suffered a very serious injury.

zekino.jpg.3e48d5749f1a75b75b7f49bd835a299f.jpg

We would have to try and finish the job without him.

THIS is what happened in the first leg of the Levski game.

its12.jpg.b88c09f0ffdc82e70e18b6cc6ea6a151.jpg

Indeed, all sorts of records went tumbling. I don't think I have ever had a result like this. 

7goals.jpg.daadb8d646b9adbf559d60aeffd1b9b6.jpg

Obviously the second leg was totally moot :lol: though we won it 2-1 to win the tie 14-2 on aggregate.

Atalanta of Bergamo await.

atalantatie.jpg.ae052c69c800fae1f7e7c4ed0e00b5a0.jpg

20 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

The young boys are flying!! Shame about such a horrendous injury, especially when he’s done so well since he arrived.

I drew 2-2 with Sofia. Can’t help but feel I vastly under performed now :lol:

Haha. I have absolutely no idea what happened in that game. Everything went in!

The line-ups for one of the biggest games ever for the Young Boys

lineups.jpg.c36beb0eaecf0f7039b3e49b3fbae8bf.jpg

A dream start as we go a goal up inside minutes! It's Camara, who heads home from a corner

no1.jpg.ffd8f9ba76812fafbb3e96943b908d94.jpg

We reach HT at 1-0. Atalanta are definitely dangerous as well, and we need another goal. Itten is having a quiet game (no repeat of his Sofia heroics) so he makes way for Raimondo on 60 minutes.

no2.jpg.ab4c965f2ff2282355efadc3210028a2.jpg

And there it is! The young Italian has not played a lot since his loan move and he's certainly not repeated the amazing season he had with Yverdon, but he has popped up with an absolutely crucial goal here. 

We go defensive for the last 15 and manage to see the game out somehow.

2-0.jpg.a6c64265dc48a258f8b69673f4ccf1cb.jpg

It is a deserved win finally, and the Young Boys are in the final!!